Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2016, 11:15 PM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 813 Likes on 451 Posts

Originally Posted by stealthpilot
Thanks. I was asking because I have non MF on order and then tonight I saw this

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...91-models.html
Replied. Yes that should work w/out MF controls. Added my experience to the convo.
Old 09-26-2016, 01:42 PM
daberlin
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrobc1213
Should work especially the non MF version. You can get it from Porsche or Suncoast also...give them a call. They may have better pricing. Having just done this you will need to add the MF control stalk (aka Sports Design wheel) to get/retain your MF functionality.

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...91-models.html

CF and Agate looks good tho!
Hey, thanks for the follow up. I'm tracking with everything you've described above except for one thing that has me a bit lost. What is the 'MF control stalk' and why would I need this to retain my MF functionality? What MF functionality? The Sport Design wheel you upgraded to no longer has any MF capability. Only the PDK paddles behind the wheel.

I'm waffling on the CF and Agate. My kid thinks it would look too much like a Cayenne or Macan vice more aggressive looking in a 911. I just don't want a black or alcantara wheel to clash badly with the Agate Grey leather on top of the dash.

Thanks, David
Old 09-27-2016, 03:36 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by daberlin
Hey, thanks for the follow up. I'm tracking with everything you've described above except for one thing that has me a bit lost. What is the 'MF control stalk' and why would I need this to retain my MF functionality? What MF functionality? The Sport Design wheel you upgraded to no longer has any MF capability. Only the PDK paddles behind the wheel.

I'm waffling on the CF and Agate. My kid thinks it would look too much like a Cayenne or Macan vice more aggressive looking in a 911. I just don't want a black or alcantara wheel to clash badly with the Agate Grey leather on top of the dash.

Thanks, David
David
So the original wheel has three control stalks behind it when you have OEM Multi-Fxn (MF) controls on the wheel. If you go to the Sports Design wheel they have to add another control stalk to the steering column so you can control all of the functions that were once on the wheel. So you will have FOUR stalks back there now. The added Multi-Fxn (MF) control stalk allows you to basically control and select the small MFD on the far right and also select and control the Sports Chrono if you have it. Without adding that you loose the ability to control those functions as they were previously assigned to your Multi-Fxn wheel. Hope that makes sense. On both the Sports Design wheel and the GT 991.2 Sport wheel I just did you have the paddles on the rear of the wheel to shift.

I would go agate grey full but the CF and agate grey doesn't look bad either if that is your interior color. Do you have CF elsewhere trim wise in the interior? If not then go full agate wheel unless you either plan to add CF trim later. I did that (had satin silver and hated it...fingerprints and blah..so bought CF interior trim from MACARBON and did it myself. Easy job! Looks great.
Attached Images        
Old 09-27-2016, 12:45 PM
Fally
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First off a big thanks to the guys who started this thread and shared their experience to upgrading their wheels for all of us. The smaller .2 wheel looks and Im sure feels better than the .1 MF.

I have a question about programming. I have a 991.1 MF wheel. If I change wheel and add stalk is the stalk plug and play or will it need to be programmed?

Also if it needs to be programmed is this a simple task performed at dealer?
Old 09-27-2016, 12:55 PM
daberlin
Racer

Default Nice looking CF

Originally Posted by mdrobc1213
David
So the original wheel has three control stalks behind it when you have OEM Multi-Fxn (MF) controls on the wheel. If you go to the Sports Design wheel they have to add another control stalk to the steering column so you can control all of the functions that were once on the wheel. So you will have FOUR stalks back there now. The added Multi-Fxn (MF) control stalk allows you to basically control and select the small MFD on the far right and also select and control the Sports Chrono if you have it. Without adding that you loose the ability to control those functions as they were previously assigned to your Multi-Fxn wheel. Hope that makes sense. On both the Sports Design wheel and the GT 991.2 Sport wheel I just did you have the paddles on the rear of the wheel to shift.

I would go agate grey full but the CF and agate grey doesn't look bad either if that is your interior color. Do you have CF elsewhere trim wise in the interior? If not then go full agate wheel unless you either plan to add CF trim later. I did that (had satin silver and hated it...fingerprints and blah..so bought CF interior trim from MACARBON and did it myself. Easy job! Looks great.

Ok, I think I get it now. My 991 came with the Sport Steering wheel and already has four stalks on the column. Thus the 991.2 Sport Wheel without MF will be a straight swap with my current setup.

I agree with you that the full agate grey is the route to go vice a mix of CF and agate. I haven't posted any pictures of my interior, but I basically did the same upgrade as you and I love it. Replaced all the dash trim and the PDK shifter with CF. I went the OEM route since I got a very good price on it from a new/not wanted marketplace sale. What have you done with your door panels? Are they still the satin silver like mine? Not that I totally mind it, but it would be nice if I could eventually find two donor doors from a GTS/GT3 and grind out the CF door trim.
Old 09-27-2016, 01:08 PM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

one last stupid question.
I have a 991.1 with manual trans and MF stalk. Would a manual .2 wheel just be plug and play?
Old 09-27-2016, 01:20 PM
daberlin
Racer

Default No stupid questions, just stupid people

Originally Posted by MJG911
I have a 991.1 with manual trans and MF stalk. Would a manual .2 wheel just be plug and play?
Yes, I believe this to be the case.
Old 09-27-2016, 07:23 PM
stealthpilot
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by MJG911
Yes. Ideally just buy the GT4 wheel. That would be simple plug and play.
Old 09-28-2016, 02:25 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Fally
First off a big thanks to the guys who started this thread and shared their experience to upgrading their wheels for all of us. The smaller .2 wheel looks and Im sure feels better than the .1 MF.

I have a question about programming. I have a 991.1 MF wheel. If I change wheel and add stalk is the stalk plug and play or will it need to be programmed?

Also if it needs to be programmed is this a simple task performed at dealer?
Yes you will still need to have the controller stalk programmed to be recognized by the car I believe once the new wheel is installed. Took about 10 mins on my car once they had the hardware/parts swapped. Knocked out my aftermarket rear camera programming which had to be reset tho so beware if you have anything like that added in.

Originally Posted by daberlin
Ok, I think I get it now. My 991 came with the Sport Steering wheel and already has four stalks on the column. Thus the 991.2 Sport Wheel without MF will be a straight swap with my current setup.

I agree with you that the full agate grey is the route to go vice a mix of CF and agate. I haven't posted any pictures of my interior, but I basically did the same upgrade as you and I love it. Replaced all the dash trim and the PDK shifter with CF. I went the OEM route since I got a very good price on it from a new/not wanted marketplace sale. What have you done with your door panels? Are they still the satin silver like mine? Not that I totally mind it, but it would be nice if I could eventually find two donor doors from a GTS/GT3 and grind out the CF door trim.
Yep that is it. Straight swap for you of the new wheel. Just remember you'll need a new airbag as the 991.1 and 991.2 airbags are different. Yeah I too would like the CF door trim also but have yet to find any avail which is amazing. I still have the OEM door trim.
Old 09-28-2016, 04:59 PM
Cristophosphorus
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

A big +1 to all of you guys in this thread. Awesome info for anyone planning on doing this swap.
Old 11-04-2016, 07:46 AM
jlee504
Rennlist Member

Received 437 Likes on 248 Posts

Hey guys just catching up. Found a 991.1 but it has a MF wheel. So I need a new steering wheel, airbag and stalk.
I was confused is the addition of the stalk easy?
Does the plastic around the steering column already have a spot for it?
Is it an extra stalk or is it the same number of stalks as if the car had come with the sport design wheel?

What was the total cost including labor? I'm trying to figure out how to adjust the price of the car.
Old 11-07-2016, 01:47 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jlee504
Hey guys just catching up. Found a 991.1 but it has a MF wheel. So I need a new steering wheel, airbag and stalk.
I was confused is the addition of the stalk easy?
Does the plastic around the steering column already have a spot for it?
Is it an extra stalk or is it the same number of stalks as if the car had come with the sport design wheel?

What was the total cost including labor? I'm trying to figure out how to adjust the price of the car.
On my car...yes I ended up needed to buy the new 991.2 non-MF wheel ($995) and 991.2 airbag ($1000) AND the 991.1 MF control stalk ($270 ish). Labor was $314. The stalk addition was easy...straight out of the MF tech order and programmed by my dealer afterwards.

Yes it is the same stalk that comes with the Sports Design wheel...so instead of 3 stalks that come with the car and the MF wheel...when you do this swap out you end up with 4 stalks and a non-MF wheel.
Old 11-08-2016, 06:48 PM
squid42
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Did anybody confirm or deny that heat works with a 991.2 swap?

Assuming old wheel had MF + PDK but no heat. I guess power must be in the column already, no? Since the switch is in the wheel itself I'm hoping a an easy ride here.
Old 11-08-2016, 11:52 PM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by squid42
Did anybody confirm or deny that heat works with a 991.2 swap?

Assuming old wheel had MF + PDK but no heat. I guess power must be in the column already, no? Since the switch is in the wheel itself I'm hoping a an easy ride here.
No direct swap for a 991.2 MF wheel w/heat or without heat and PDK from a 991.1 MF wheel with either setup. At least not when I tried it. Went to a non MF 991.2 GT wheel and had the additional control stalk added to get it to work. Good luck.
Old 11-11-2016, 11:51 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,581 Likes on 1,604 Posts

Can someone list the diameter of the different wheels? .1 MF, .1 Sport, .2 Standard / MF, .2, GT.

Thanks.

Quick Reply: GT SPORT .2 Frankenwheel transplant to .1 C2S PDK