GT SPORT .2 Frankenwheel transplant to .1 C2S PDK

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2016, 06:36 PM
Jnosol
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
Exactly!!

Seems from the attempt here on a .2 MF wheel, that there are issues.

Oh!!!!

Forgot to mention, the .2 wheel I ordered was WITHOUT that ugly sport/sport + button on it. Hence the custom order.

So my .2 GT SPORT wheel would be for a .2 PDK car without the Sport Chrono option.

Still use my stalk for all MF controls and Sport and Sport + buttons on my center console.
As always, you're extremely helpful. Thanks again.
Old 07-27-2016, 02:09 AM
stealthpilot
Rennlist Member

Received 159 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
I'm sure. Only in manual of course!

You know how much they will cost

The RS wheel is $3,195

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product/SKU991RSSTEER.html

My new one was $1,300

The R wheel?? Guessing $4-5K?

Plus new airbags around $1K
What was the part number for your wheel?
Old 08-08-2016, 01:26 AM
Alec Syme
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts

Hi guys-
STG asked me to post my experience with installing a new .2 Sport wheel in my 99.1. LOVED the new Sport wheel Porsche started using beginning with the 918. It's just a beautiful thing.

I found it on eBay airbag included. This company used OEM parts and remanufactures them with a little thicker rim and in this case a nice 12 o'clock ring in red to go with my C2S cab. It also sports pretty nice light grey stitching. The thing as a whole is at the quality you'd expect from Porsche.

Install in my PDK equipped C2S was straight forward. I've done this before with another (Alcantara) wheel. Disconnect the battery, fiddle with an internal spring mechanism and pop off the airbag. Then with a 12M 12 point Torx bit (also called triple square bit) unscrew the main wheel nut. The new wheel is a perfect fit.

The thing I didn't know is this new wheel has a MUCH shorter shift point. Probably half that of the .1 Sport wheel. It's AWESOME to flick through the gears with this! The other thing I wanted to mention is just how transforming using this wheel is. By the shape and thickness of the rim it give my car a whole new feel. Super premium feel. Hard to explain. It's just a great steering wheel.

It was super expensive when you factor in the price of the new airbag but I can recoup some of this expense selling my old parts on eBay.

Did I mention how awesome it is to look at? I think it really brings up the interior quite a bit. Here's some photos:
Thanks-
alec

Here's my contact from eBay that sells these to nuts like us:
http://www.ebay.com/usr/911ava?_trksid=p2047675.l2559
Attached Images    
Old 08-08-2016, 04:08 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by stealthpilot
What was the part number for your wheel?

9P1-419-091-FD-A34
Old 08-08-2016, 04:09 AM
STG
Race Director

Alec, nice job
Old 08-08-2016, 06:10 AM
MagicRat
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Looks great!
Old 08-08-2016, 04:40 PM
stealthpilot
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Alec Syme
Hi guys-
STG asked me to post my experience with installing a new .2 Sport wheel in my 99.1. LOVED the new Sport wheel Porsche started using beginning with the 918. It's just a beautiful thing.

I found it on eBay airbag included. This company used OEM parts and remanufactures them with a little thicker rim and in this case a nice 12 o'clock ring in red to go with my C2S cab. It also sports pretty nice light grey stitching. The thing as a whole is at the quality you'd expect from Porsche.

Install in my PDK equipped C2S was straight forward. I've done this before with another (Alcantara) wheel. Disconnect the battery, fiddle with an internal spring mechanism and pop off the airbag. Then with a 12M 12 point Torx bit (also called triple square bit) unscrew the main wheel nut. The new wheel is a perfect fit.

The thing I didn't know is this new wheel has a MUCH shorter shift point. Probably half that of the .1 Sport wheel. It's AWESOME to flick through the gears with this! The other thing I wanted to mention is just how transforming using this wheel is. By the shape and thickness of the rim it give my car a whole new feel. Super premium feel. Hard to explain. It's just a great steering wheel.

It was super expensive when you factor in the price of the new airbag but I can recoup some of this expense selling my old parts on eBay.

Did I mention how awesome it is to look at? I think it really brings up the interior quite a bit. Here's some photos:
Thanks-
alec

Here's my contact from eBay that sells these to nuts like us:
http://www.ebay.com/usr/911ava?_trksid=p2047675.l2559
Thanks for posting. It's interesting because I have been having conversations with Heinz (911ava) for a couple of weeks now. I looked at buying the same wheel, but then I realized that the wheel you have may be the 380mm wheel and not the 360mm GT Sport wheel. I think your wheel looks nicer than the GT Sport because it has more of the satin metal trim (compare it to the one STG posted) but the GT Sport is smaller which feels nicer when driving. I wish the GT Sport wheel had the same metallic trim as yours. I'm deciding between the 2 - Heinz has a couple of GT Sport wheels on order and he can customize them with the red band and red stitching to match my interior.

Can you give me a sense of how much thicker this wheel is? When I look at your photos it looks only a little thicker (as in they wrapped it with another layer of leather rather than padded it and then wrapped it). If you can measure the circumference or the diameter of the grip that would be useful.
Old 08-09-2016, 11:22 PM
STG
Race Director

Custom steering wheels by MACarbon

http://www.macarbon.com/index.php?op...id=340&lang=en
Old 09-24-2016, 11:44 PM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 836 Likes on 460 Posts

Got mine finally done yesterday. Ordered the non-MF wheel for the 991.2 from Suncoast (not sure what the PN was) and sold the 991.2 MF wheel I had ordered previously. Fitment of previous MF wheel was fine and it worked functionally other than programming the buttons on the wheel to control everything which without the new program module ($1440 quote from dealership) I was unable to get working. So went with Option B which was adding 991.1 Sport Design wheel stalk and then programming it to work with the car instead of my OEM wheel. After that it was a simple wheel swap...991.2 non-MF wheel instead of the Sports Design wheel and everything was good to go.

Thanks for the prior help STG and folks...wish the 991.2 GT MF wheel would have worked and the additional stalk does make it somewhat busy behind the wheel on the control column but I am okay with it.
Attached Images    
Old 09-25-2016, 12:05 AM
stealthpilot
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mdrobc1213
Got mine finally done yesterday. Ordered the non-MF wheel for the 991.2 from Suncoast (not sure what the PN was) and sold the 991.2 MF wheel I had ordered previously. Fitment of previous MF wheel was fine and it worked functionally other than programming the buttons on the wheel to control everything which without the new program module ($1440 quote from dealership) I was unable to get working. So went with Option B which was adding 991.1 Sport Design wheel stalk and then programming it to work with the car instead of my OEM wheel. After that it was a simple wheel swap...991.2 non-MF wheel instead of the Sports Design wheel and everything was good to go.

Thanks for the prior help STG and folks...wish the 991.2 GT MF wheel would have worked and the additional stalk does make it somewhat busy behind the wheel on the control column but I am okay with it.
Would the MF wheel have worked with the new MF module?
Old 09-25-2016, 12:32 AM
STG
Race Director

Thanks for the update mdrobc1213!

Congrats on getting it done one way or another. Sorry the MF route didn't pan out.
Old 09-25-2016, 02:50 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by stealthpilot
Would the MF wheel have worked with the new MF module?
My service adviser thinks so but to do so would have required ordering the additional parts to try to retrofit them both to 991.2 setup. It seems it would require the MF module (and the additional cost) as well as a software update that they were not sure was available from PCNA so I passed.

Since they couldn't guarantee compatibility at this point with the 991.2 installation and any warranty/electrical issues that may happen their advice was to let them do some more research and testing on the setup. I agree for now the 991.2 non MF works fine.
Old 09-25-2016, 09:28 AM
stealthpilot
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mdrobc1213
My service adviser thinks so but to do so would have required ordering the additional parts to try to retrofit them both to 991.2 setup. It seems it would require the MF module (and the additional cost) as well as a software update that they were not sure was available from PCNA so I passed.

Since they couldn't guarantee compatibility at this point with the 991.2 installation and any warranty/electrical issues that may happen their advice was to let them do some more research and testing on the setup. I agree for now the 991.2 non MF works fine.
Thanks. I was asking because I have non MF on order and then tonight I saw this

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...91-models.html
Old 09-25-2016, 06:43 PM
daberlin
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 12 Posts

Hi all -

The interior of my .1 C4S is Agate Grey/Pebble Grey and I've upgraded the dash trim, PDK gear lever and associated trim with the Porsche OEM Carbon Fiber (it's awesome btw). Very interested in the progress you guys have made in upgrading the steering wheel. I've seen on Suncoast that an Agate Grey version of the upgraded wheel with Carbon Fiber (which is what I want) is available for the Macan. Will this version work on our 991.1?

However, since I know you've not gotten the MF buttons to work on the steering, wheel, I'd rather not go with the exact Macan version, but an Agate Grey/Carbon Fiber version of this wheel below.

Any thoughts on if I can go direct to Porsche for this wheel but in the Agate Grey color like on the Macan?

Thanks in Advance.

David

Last edited by daberlin; 09-25-2016 at 08:59 PM.
Old 09-25-2016, 11:14 PM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by daberlin
Hi all -

The interior of my .1 C4S is Agate Grey/Pebble Grey and I've upgraded the dash trim, PDK gear lever and associated trim with the Porsche OEM Carbon Fiber (it's awesome btw). Very interested in the progress you guys have made in upgrading the steering wheel. I've seen on Suncoast that an Agate Grey version of the upgraded wheel with Carbon Fiber (which is what I want) is available for the Macan. Will this version work on our 991.1?

However, since I know you've not gotten the MF buttons to work on the steering, wheel, I'd rather not go with the exact Macan version, but an Agate Grey/Carbon Fiber version of this wheel below.

Any thoughts on if I can go direct to Porsche for this wheel but in the Agate Grey color like on the Macan?

Thanks in Advance.

David
Should work especially the non MF version. You can get it from Porsche or Suncoast also...give them a call. They may have better pricing. Having just done this you will need to add the MF control stalk (aka Sports Design wheel) to get/retain your MF functionality.

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...91-models.html

CF and Agate looks good tho!

Quick Reply: GT SPORT .2 Frankenwheel transplant to .1 C2S PDK