Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Official waiting room for those with a new 991.2 on order --- come on in !!

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2016, 02:54 PM
philg3
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Joenyc
I guess minor scratch as in the polymer level. I recommend always look at the car in the daylight in good or outside light and see if any ripples or change in shades. But your right a delay can be they are fixing a dent or touching up.
It could be anything -- actual quality control eval -- waiting in the que, perhaps a part swap for something defective (waiting a few days for the part), then we get into the body damage scenario -- and that's not good. Who wants to pay $200K for a refurbished "new" vehicle. That's why it's so important to get the truth on the car's history at the port -- should be a Federal requirement for disclosure. But it's all hidden from us, unless you insist. I'm hoping it's minor, but if not, it's a 6month+ disappointment, that I just don't need. And if it's bad, and I don't take delivery, someone else will -- and they won't know the history.

We are now into 13 days since the vehicle entered the Port, and I still don't know what's going on, despite repeated calls to Porsche USA and my dealer. Now, I'm told that a Regional Manager is on the case, and I should get the info today; was told the same two days ago. It appears to me that they don't want to disclose the reason, so there definitely are credibility issues. Basically, just tell me the truth, so that I can make an informed decision, and we can all go on with our lives. Porsche should be responsive to their customers and tell them the truth -- seems like I'm dealing with politicians here -- "depends what your definition of is is".
Old 11-04-2016, 03:18 PM
LCW
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would not worry too much about it. In the end you will have an amazing car. However, if this delay is bothering you so much and making you think the worse, then put on your best poker face, call the dealer and say are canceling the order and ask for a refund of your deposit. See what happens.
Old 11-04-2016, 03:29 PM
Jenner
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by philg3
That's why it's so important to get the truth on the car's history at the port -- should be a Federal requirement for disclosure. But it's all hidden from us, unless you insist.
I doubt you will get any truth or history. Each state is different, but they allow between 3% and 6% of MSRP damage to be undisclosed. Even if we take 3% of your $200k+ car that allows for ALOT of bumper replacement or paint touch up...

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/12/06/n...damage-repair/

Porsche has facilities set up at port to handle these things as well as install certain accessories or options and/or apply recalls before your vehicle leaves port.

Maybe it's damage, maybe its routine "pull this random car out of line for full customs inspection" maybe its a port installed recall who knows. I would be shocked if your SA tells you specific details and/or if what you are told is really true.
Old 11-04-2016, 05:13 PM
philg3
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by LCW
I would not worry too much about it. In the end you will have an amazing car. However, if this delay is bothering you so much and making you think the worse, then put on your best poker face, call the dealer and say are canceling the order and ask for a refund of your deposit. See what happens.
Shortly after arriving at port, the sticker was printed, and vehicle was released for transport. Then something happened -- I was told it was selected for quality control inspection. One would think that selection for this random quality control step would have happened prior to being released for transport. Yesterday, I was told that they are expediting this "inspection", and that it should be completed within the next 3 days. Assuming this happens, it will have been at the port for 15 days.

Of course the delay bothers me, but what bothers me more is not knowing the nature of the problem, and will it be fixed to original standards / specs, or will it bite me in the behind a few years down the road. As Jenner says, it's doubtful Porsche will truthfully disclose the problem -- so chances are I'll never know.

As far as cancelling is concern, while that is always an option, these vehicles are in short supply, and I don't want to go through another 6 month wait -- although there are a few available (according to inventory listings on dealers web sites) that could work, but most are Turbo S's that add $30K to the cost. Doubt the dealer would care if I cancelled -- one less PITA customer. There's probably a good chance it will all work out. Hopefully, I'll know more later today.

BTW -- Jenner, Thanks for the link -- the last paragraph could help.

UPDATE: Just heard from my SA, and the port is waiting for a part (nature of which is undisclosed), and car may be released for transport on Monday. I requested info regarding the part. Doesn't appear to be body work. Perhaps, this random inspection was a good thing.

Just because they say they are waiting for a part, doesn’t make it so. They could be playing with me, while they are hammering, sanding and spraying.

Last edited by philg3; 11-04-2016 at 06:29 PM. Reason: Update
Old 11-05-2016, 10:15 AM
Jenner
Burning Brakes

Np on link. Wasn't trying to be negative. I'm just a realist, like accurate info(sounds like you do to) and tell it like it is

Hope it's nothing. If it is waiting for a part it could be a recall or US specific item/add on that they do in the port and they are out of stock at the port facility or regional warehouse.

If you want to be sure/peace of mind/OCD (whatever) ask the dealer to use their paint meter(the same one they would use on your trade in, trust me they have one) or borrow a friends or buy your own. That'll tell you right away which part was damaged if your eye can't (which it probably can't unless its in the perfect lighting or the respray was poorly done and I HIGHLY doubt that will happen).
Old 11-05-2016, 11:49 AM
Joenyc
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jenner
Np on link. Wasn't trying to be negative. I'm just a realist, like accurate info(sounds like you do to) and tell it like it is

Hope it's nothing. If it is waiting for a part it could be a recall or US specific item/add on that they do in the port and they are out of stock at the port facility or regional warehouse.

If you want to be sure/peace of mind/OCD (whatever) ask the dealer to use their paint meter(the same one they would use on your trade in, trust me they have one) or borrow a friends or buy your own. That'll tell you right away which part was damaged if your eye can't (which it probably can't unless its in the perfect lighting or the respray was poorly done and I HIGHLY doubt that will happen).
why would a part be missing ? Isn't the car given a thorough inspection before it leaves for the Port? It can't be mechanical as the car isn't moved on the boat? It maybe something small like swapping out a mirror . What you don't want is plaster work done. Knock on the car throughout if you hear a not familiar sound then investigate it. But you should be fine. If it's serious they may have to tell you as weeks would go by between parts and body work . But you should be fine.
Old 11-06-2016, 12:10 AM
mforestier
Track Day

Everyone, many thanks for the advice and sharing in this fun experience. I have learned and enjoyed reading so much lately. Now, I am in the final stages and looking forward to tracking the delivery. I could use your collective advice so that I do not miss any key moments.

I ordered a base 911 with PTS in Stone Grey in June. I picked the color from a 57-59 option offered for 356 although I have never seen one in person (so I'm hoping it'll look good). I added a few other minor options including a PEC Atlanta delivery.

My SA gave me the latest codes and I can decipher some but not sure what how it translates to actual delivery date at PEC Atlanta. I'm guessing that a pre-Christmas delivery isn't likely.

I kind of understand Vessel Finder, but not too sure how you figure out the ship's name early enough to start tracking its movement. Also any advice on making this delivery experience even better is greatly appreciated. Keep up the great chats. Thanks.
Old 11-06-2016, 01:41 AM
volksjaeger
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by mforestier
I ordered a base 911 with PTS in Stone Grey in June. I picked the color from a 57-59 option offered for 356 although I have never seen one in person (so I'm hoping it'll look good). I added a few other minor options including a PEC Atlanta delivery.
If it looks anything like this stone grey should be epic. Nice build. Love it. The minmal/base + PTS is how I would spec mine. Congrats.

Old 11-06-2016, 02:51 AM
luv2sleep
Burning Brakes

Received 297 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by volksjaeger
If it looks anything like this stone grey should be epic. Nice build. Love it. The minmal/base + PTS is how I would spec mine. Congrats.

Your avatar almost made me fall out of my chair! lol
Old 11-06-2016, 04:07 AM
planet
Instructor

A political post?

Wake me up when we're back to talking about Porsche. Or maybe baseball, when pitchers and catchers report.
Old 11-06-2016, 07:11 AM
abizarvakharia
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fuddman
I'd suggest you complain to the GM. And if he doesn't provide satisfaction, talk to PCNA.

I have gotten nowhere with the GM; I'm ready to call PCNA. I looked online and see a general phone # 800-PORSCHE or twitter #porschecares. Is there a more direct #?
Old 11-06-2016, 08:00 AM
Jenner
Burning Brakes

I ordered a base 911 with PTS in Stone Grey in June. I added a few other minor options including a PEC Atlanta delivery.
VERY cool color! Great decision on PEC too. Looking forward to seeing pics.

My SA gave me the latest codes and I can decipher some but not sure what how it translates to actual delivery date at PEC Atlanta. I'm guessing that a pre-Christmas delivery isn't likely.
You would certainly have had a pre xmas delivery if you didn't select PEC. Now it will be very close on either side of the holiday.

PEC adds between 3-5 weeks to your delivery date not including a few days lost for the xmas and new years holiday. I could have had my Targa 4S next week and instead I am not picking it up @ PEC until Nov 30th. My Porsche was completed well ahead of schedule, but while it was in production my initial date projection from PEC was for early January!(which is where I expect yours will be)

As soon as your Porsche exits production you should be contacted by Kathryn @ PEC to fill out your questionnaires and get info and preliminary date for PEC delivery.

Assuming the typical Porsche date padding based on the dates you posted I expect that your delivery week @ PEC will fall the first week of January. The outside factors I see affecting this would be if they take many or few days off for the holidays, if the dealership or PCNA puts any pressure on them to complete delivery before end of the month/year and/or many or few people are taking delivery @ PEC around this time of year.

I kind of understand Vessel Finder, but not too sure how you figure out the ship's name early enough to start tracking its movement.
You can't really figure it out early. Based on the known ships that VW/Porsche uses you can guess which one is scheduled to be @ Emden around the same time as your vehicle completes, but even then it doesn't matter because your Porsche might be early or late. If there is a queue @ port you could be on the next ship, or if your car is finished earlier, you could be on an earlier ship.

The best way to know for certain is to check in with your SA each week, starting about a week before it is scheduled to exit production and then follow up each week till he has the actual vessel name for you. From there you can look up it's schedule and figure out when it will be @ JAX. They usually pad them by at least a day to account for slower unloading @ other ports, or bad weather. (For example mine was supposed to dock on 11/4 and didn't till 11/5)

Last edited by Jenner; 11-09-2016 at 08:32 AM.
Old 11-06-2016, 08:01 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Politics are not allowed in the technical forums. The post has been deleted.
Old 11-06-2016, 12:44 PM
fuddman
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by abizarvakharia
I have gotten nowhere with the GM; I'm ready to call PCNA. I looked online and see a general phone # 800-PORSCHE or twitter #porschecares. Is there a more direct #?
FWIW: I called about the schedule on my C4 cab and there was no change to the delivery date. In fact, I was told it might be an earlier than expected arrival.

I'm not sure how much you know about the dealer allocation process; but, it would help if you did.
The dealer received a specific allocation for your specific C4 car months in advance of the date you bought it. A lot of planning goes into assigning a dealer an allocation and it is about as solid and dependable a forecast as your going to find. If, as the dealer told you, there was, indeed, a Porsche wide policy now in effect which stopped C4 production for several months, then you need to know about that (and so do a hellava lot of other dealers). And the way to find out about it is to talk to the policy people at Porsche. The 800 number is the place to start; but, chances are, the guy who picks up the phone wont know. You'll have to talk your way up the line. If the dealer is BS'ing you, that's where you'll find out.
Old 11-06-2016, 12:52 PM
luv2sleep
Burning Brakes

Received 297 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by volksjaeger

That's a gorgeous car, btw!

Quick Reply: Official waiting room for those with a new 991.2 on order --- come on in !!