Sponsored by:

HOT FOR SALE: Pick of the Week 991

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2018, 12:41 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 720 Likes on 390 Posts

Originally Posted by raidersfan
Hey, thanks. I ended up passing on the car; it can't be sent out of state (even once paid for) and it can't be bought without me present. Too much trouble with that one!
That doesn't sound right all...see my previous post. Once paid for you can take the vehicle wherever you please! I've never seen a dealer who cannot sell a car legally to you if you don't reside in the state especially in the age of internet sales. I bought my daughter an '05 Audi TT from a used dealer in Manhiem PA who slapped a 7 day dealer temp tag on it for $40, gave me the title (paid cash), and I drove it back to Nebraska the same day...no sweat! And as said I've bought TWO cars within the last 6 yrs from Cali dealers who loaded them on the transportation trucks I sent and paid for to get them and transport them to WA and AZ respectively without so much as a peep. Just made it clear that I didn't want to register the car in California and signed paperwork notarized that I was not planning to keep them in state. Now CARMAX may not WANT to do this and sell you the car as an "out of towner" but hell that would be a local policy I assume and a decision by Carmax itself. Don't see any state policy against it....that's crazy because for each buyer they find in state that meets that strict criteria there will I guess be 3-4 more sales lost out of state these days! I have heard of some Land Rover dealers who don't want to or won't do out of state sales before but again it was local policy nothing to do with the state or some restriction.

Maybe more experienced RL'ers can chime in on this and their experiences.
Old 12-08-2018, 12:47 AM
Cayman292
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 32 Posts

We bought our Cayman through Shift.com in San Diego in August and had it shipped up here to the Oregon coast and they handled the paperwork and we didn’t pay any sales tax so it’s possible to buy out of state and not pay the tax as long as you’re a resident of another state.
Old 12-08-2018, 12:57 AM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 441 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by Cayman292
We bought our Cayman through Shift.com in San Diego in August and had it shipped up here to the Oregon coast and they handled the paperwork and we didn’t pay any sales tax so it’s possible to buy out of state and not pay the tax as long as you’re a resident of another state.
Neat trick! I have to pay my local city sales tax, even though I am buying a car in PA.

Side note: A friend of mine checked out the car in person today. A few paint chips that the dealer will fix. I am proceding with the purchase.
Old 12-08-2018, 01:16 AM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrobc1213
...Now CARMAX may not WANT to do this and sell you the car as an "out of towner" but hell that would be a local policy I assume and a decision by Carmax itself....
My understanding is that the "non-transferable" California Carmax cars are the electronic title (ELT) cars. And again, my understanding is that until the title is converted to a hard title (which can take several weeks), the vehicle can only be sold to a California resident. What is Carmax's 'decision' is to not hold cars for out of state buyers while the e-title is being converted.

Lots of cars at Carmax in California (and other dealers of course) don't have ELT's, and those can be transferred without restriction. Other states including Florida and Nevada have similar e-titles and Carmax transfer restrictions.

The other funky thing about California car sales with dealers is that unless they ship the car out of state (with a bill of lading) they are required to collect CA sales tax on retail sales, which you may or may not get a credit on when you register locally. You definitely will NOT get a refund if the CA tax is more than your normal local tax, which can make it more expensive if you want to do a fly and drive.
Old 12-08-2018, 02:29 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 720 Likes on 390 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by raidersfan
Hey, thanks. I ended up passing on the car; it can't be sent out of state (even once paid for) and it can't be bought without me present. Too much trouble with that one!
Originally Posted by Cayman292
Same for me in AZ and NE. Bought a CA car and had it transported to me in both places and all the California dealer asks for is an affidavit of sale to non-resident and a bill of lading from the transport driver. WA waives sales tax on the car as an out of state purchase by a resident who is living out of sate (am military) so in both cases was not actually physically in WA so everything was waived by the Wash DMV. Saved me a bunch. Wife's Cayenne was actually bought in AZ while there and shipped to CA (had them drop it off in Palm Springs..about 100+ miles (2.5 hrs outside Phoenix) and we picked it up from the hotel/resort and drove it back...8.5% sales tax saved as the car was then registered back in WA!
Old 12-08-2018, 06:29 PM
raidersfan
Three Wheelin'

Received 154 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrobc1213
That doesn't sound right all...see my previous post. Once paid for you can take the vehicle wherever you please! I've never seen a dealer who cannot sell a car legally to you if you don't reside in the state especially in the age of internet sales. I bought my daughter an '05 Audi TT from a used dealer in Manhiem PA who slapped a 7 day dealer temp tag on it for $40, gave me the title (paid cash), and I drove it back to Nebraska the same day...no sweat! And as said I've bought TWO cars within the last 6 yrs from Cali dealers who loaded them on the transportation trucks I sent and paid for to get them and transport them to WA and AZ respectively without so much as a peep. Just made it clear that I didn't want to register the car in California and signed paperwork notarized that I was not planning to keep them in state. Now CARMAX may not WANT to do this and sell you the car as an "out of towner" but hell that would be a local policy I assume and a decision by Carmax itself. Don't see any state policy against it....that's crazy because for each buyer they find in state that meets that strict criteria there will I guess be 3-4 more sales lost out of state these days! I have heard of some Land Rover dealers who don't want to or won't do out of state sales before but again it was local policy nothing to do with the state or some restriction.

Maybe more experienced RL'ers can chime in on this and their experiences.
It was a Carmax policy, not a CA policy. I have bought a couple of cars from CA with no issues, but Carmax has their own way of doing things, according to several people I talked to. The local guy couldn't help, the finance manager couldn't help, and the sales guy couldn't help. I would have had to fly down, pay for the car in person (vs wiring money), then wait for the title to arrive before I could have scheduled transport.
Old 12-08-2018, 06:32 PM
raidersfan
Three Wheelin'

Received 154 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by pfbz
My understanding is that the "non-transferable" California Carmax cars are the electronic title (ELT) cars. And again, my understanding is that until the title is converted to a hard title (which can take several weeks), the vehicle can only be sold to a California resident. What is Carmax's 'decision' is to not hold cars for out of state buyers while the e-title is being converted.

Lots of cars at Carmax in California (and other dealers of course) don't have ELT's, and those can be transferred without restriction. Other states including Florida and Nevada have similar e-titles and Carmax transfer restrictions.

The other funky thing about California car sales with dealers is that unless they ship the car out of state (with a bill of lading) they are required to collect CA sales tax on retail sales, which you may or may not get a credit on when you register locally. You definitely will NOT get a refund if the CA tax is more than your normal local tax, which can make it more expensive if you want to do a fly and drive.
Exactly. I figured I could still buy a car but wasn't eligible to do the "carmax transfer". I had no idea I couldn't get the car released to me, nor could I buy the car without coming into the dealer. Wiring funds wasn't an option without me being present to sign for the sale. I wanted to ship it up after purchasing the car, as I am not about to pay sales tax, but that wasn't an option. Oh well; it was a nice car and reasonably priced, so they won't sit on it long.
Old 12-10-2018, 12:36 AM
vincenz0
Racer

Received 145 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Cuda911
Neat trick! I have to pay my local city sales tax, even though I am buying a car in PA.

Side note: A friend of mine checked out the car in person today. A few paint chips that the dealer will fix. I am proceding with the purchase.
The blue car in PA that I posted? Really glad that's going to an enthusiast!
Old 12-11-2018, 12:05 AM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 441 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by vincenz0
The blue car in PA that I posted? Really glad that's going to an enthusiast!
Yep!. I'll post up a thread when the car shows up here. Prolly be a couple weeks.
Old 12-11-2018, 05:39 PM
Yc911Kid
Three Wheelin'

Received 769 Likes on 402 Posts

Just serviced & got new battery installed. WA tag renewed. 74K as I may have found my next car. Any WA buyer here?

Originally Posted by Yc911Kid
Hi all, been a while but I've decided to let go of my beloved 2013 C2S.

Summary of the car: 2013 C2S PDK, 22K miles, CPO expiring end of Feb 2019, Xpel wrapped front, 134k msrp high build with many goodies : GT silver/SC/PSE/(non-squeaky)PCCB and matching belts/SPASM/14way/Bose etc. check build sheet for detailed list, excellent inside out

This one has full history with HFS thread as it can be tracked since page 1(https://rennlist.com/forums/991/8636...l#post12125115) and the last three owners(me included) are all HFS alumni. So I hope I can pass the torch to the next fellow member.

Here is the link last time it got sold https://rennlist.com/forums/991/8636...l#post14569138 It has a pretty good description of the car, only change since then is 4K incident free happy miles under my watch (always garaged & no track usage, but I do drive it in the rain sometime given the PNW weather )

Asking 76K & I'll take care of the coming service. Car located in Seattle(Kirkland WA to be more accurate).

Old 12-14-2018, 03:05 PM
Leenseen
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Hopefully this meets HFS requirements otherwise I’m totally out the loop...

Certified 2014 Porsche 911S with ~ 26,500 miles
  • CPO warranty till July 31st 2020
  • White Ext / Black Int (with panoramic roof)
  • PDK, SC, PSE, Premium Pkg, Bose and some other stuff
  • All services complete inc 4yr/40k service (along with new rear tyres)
I’m the second owner and I’ve had it just shy of 3yrs... found my next car so looking to sell for $70k firm.

Marketplace listing is Here

Last edited by Leenseen; 12-14-2018 at 03:10 PM. Reason: Pics
Old 12-14-2018, 05:22 PM
chekraze
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts

gorgeous car and well optioned. wish more people went with colored seat belts
Old 12-14-2018, 05:33 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Leenseen
Hopefully this meets HFS requirements otherwise I’m totally out the loop...

Certified 2014 Porsche 911S with ~ 26,500 miles
  • CPO warranty till July 31st 2020
  • White Ext / Black Int (with panoramic roof)
  • PDK, SC, PSE, Premium Pkg, Bose and some other stuff
  • All services complete inc 4yr/40k service (along with new rear tyres)
I’m the second owner and I’ve had it just shy of 3yrs... found my next car so looking to sell for $70k firm.

Marketplace listing is Here

Nice one and $$
Old 12-14-2018, 05:36 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Yc911Kid
Just serviced & got new battery installed. WA tag renewed. 74K as I may have found my next car. Any WA buyer here?

Love this car. Having found it back in the da and listing it right here at the start of HFS, it holds a lot of memories. As stated, last 3 owners are Rennlisters and HFS guys. Car has been well taken care of.

Name:  photo719.jpg
Views: 1642
Size:  181.9 KB
Old 12-14-2018, 06:04 PM
chekraze
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts

^^ what is your next car?

Quick Reply: HOT FOR SALE: Pick of the Week 991