Sponsored by:

991 issues update and lemon law filling new video

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 12:47 AM
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 470 Likes on 242 Posts

Given the myriad of dramatic and consternating vehicle safety issues that I have seen in his videos, Porsche should have been paying Nick to drive this car while risking life and limb as mirrors fold down to make lane changes unsafe or practically impossible, gauge clusters completely short out, smoke fills the cabin, backup sensors sense too much or too little, pools of water fill the floorboards, distracting whistles of wind override his concentration, and the coup de grace -- the entire car simply pukes all over itself and shuts off in the middle of 4-lane traffic during rush hour on the Interstate -- in a pouring rainstorm. Porsche should be thankful for one thing and one thing only -- that Nick is still alive. This car could have easily killed him. We already know you replaced the horn -- Nick's last line of personal defense. Even that apparently went **** up.

To even suggest Nick owes Porsche a credit-back for seat time in this rolling death trap is like saying I owe Rolex 2/86,400ths credit-back because my broken watch tells the correct time -- down to the second -- twice a day.
Old 04-17-2014, 12:49 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,535 Likes on 5,060 Posts

My sympathies to Nick.

But no one here (aside from Nick and perhaps PCNA) really knows all the facts or details of the situation.

All of that said, while jurisdictions vary somewhat, most Lemon Law statues are strikingly similar and at least in my jurisdiction the Lemon Law allows a manufacturer in a buy back situation to reduce the purchase price by taking into account mileage and condition of the vehicle.

Nick is not entitled to a full refund, or even necessarily 90% of his purchase price. Even in arbitration, the arbitrator will most likely split the difference between what Nick is demanding and what PCNA offers.

And I am pretty sure that if it does proceed to a Lemon Law arbitration hearing, whatever PCNA is offering to Nick now will not be what it formally submits in arbitration.

And Nick, if you decide to pursue litigation (ie, something other than Lemon Law arbitration) I would suggest you stop posting and avoid social media on this issue. During litigation it all becomes discoverable and can make life difficult for your lawyer and awkward for you.

Just my 0.02.

Best of luck to you Nick. Hope things get resolved quickly and to your satisfaction soon.
Old 04-17-2014, 12:50 AM
Mercel
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are two sides to every story. I'm a little dismayed that many have been so quick to denounce Porsche, a brand that has built an enviable reputation based on years of customer satisfaction. One guy with a camera isn't going to change that for me. I'll trust my experience, thank you very much.

Lemon laws are sufficient to render a fair judgement to both sides. This case belongs in arbitration proceedings, not the internet, where only one side is presented. And while you're cheering this mudfest, consider that some of it might stick to the resale value of your second largest purchase.
Old 04-17-2014, 12:55 AM
drrobbieb
AutoX

Originally Posted by ebling
Not sure if this has been posted yet, found it on 6 speed.Quote:
"I emailed Jason Nelson, their manager of customer commitment. Here's his response. None of us (besides Nick and Jason) know both sides of this story.

Mr. Gois,

Thank you very much for sharing your concern. Since I cannot divulge the details of a confidential offer between ourselves and another customer I can only tell you that we believe we have gone above and beyond to provide Mr. Murray with what is fair, much more than what the law provides in his situation. He has asked for additional concessions which I felt were unreasonable and could not oblige.

Please understand that you are dealing with only one side of a story and I assure you Mr. Murray has left out a number of important details in his video. We take our commitment to our customers very seriously and we deal with every one of them in a fair and equitable manner. We step up to our responsibility when it is required of us and have done no different in this case.

Thank you again for reaching out to me directly. We stand at your service should you require any assistance with your Porsche vehicles.

Jason Nelson
Manager, Customer Commitment
Porsche Cars North America, Inc.
980 Hammond Dr, Suite 1000
Atlanta, GA 30328

phone: 770 290 3446
fax: 770 290 3583
email: jason.nelson@porsche.us"

What I don't like about this response is this statement "I can only tell you that we believe we have gone above and beyond to provide Mr. Murray with what is fair, much more than what the law provides in his situation. He has asked for additional concessions which I felt were unreasonable and could not oblige."

What this guy is saying is they searched to see what they were liable to do by law first and decided to exceed it slightly to make amends.

When if they were truly standing behind their product they would have just said bring the thing back and let us give you a new one.
Old 04-17-2014, 01:02 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The legal justification for a partial refund is sound.

The plaintiff can have a economist compute an amount for other items such as time , missed work, fuel, etc spent on rectifying the situation.

nick , figure out how many miles the dealer added on test drives.
Old 04-17-2014, 01:02 AM
sebis
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by drrobbieb
What I don't like about this response is this statement "I can only tell you that we believe we have gone above and beyond to provide Mr. Murray with what is fair, much more than what the law provides in his situation. He has asked for additional concessions which I felt were unreasonable and could not oblige."

What this guy is saying is they searched to see what they were liable to do by law first and decided to exceed it slightly to make amends.

When if they were truly standing behind their product they would have just said bring the thing back and let us give you a new one.
I am sure Mr. Nelson will have a great day at work on Thursday, what an ***. They made this #1 on Reddit now and the YouTube video has over 230,000 views, may reach 1 million by tomorrow night. They should have simply bought back the car, period.
Old 04-17-2014, 01:19 AM
One911
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Have been submitting your story to jalopnik for the past week. Hope they will pick it up.
Old 04-17-2014, 01:36 AM
Nicoli35
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Mercel
There are two sides to every story. I'm a little dismayed that many have been so quick to denounce Porsche, a brand that has built an enviable reputation based on years of customer satisfaction. One guy with a camera isn't going to change that for me. I'll trust my experience, thank you very much.
Yup.
Old 04-17-2014, 01:42 AM
Car25
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I'm glad to see that in the last video Nick has taken his gloves off!!
Old 04-17-2014, 01:52 AM
mb97tts
Racer

In this case it seems surprising that the dealer is not kicking in some $$$ to resolve this.

Based on the service history Porsche can hold them responsible if they don't follow all the guidelines. Which usually means getting the factory involved very early in the process.

Really how much could Porsche and the dealer lose by buying the car back, fixing it and then selling it at auction?
Old 04-17-2014, 03:08 AM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,299 Likes on 886 Posts

There are two sides to every story. I'm a little dismayed that many have been so quick to denounce Porsche.
That ship sailed when they handed the car back to him after it died spectacularly on a busy highway, without identifying the problem unambiguously and fixing it in a verifiable manner.

At that point the only responsible thing to do would be to buy it back from him, at any price up to and including full retail.

Any other action was negligent on the dealer's part, and downright reckless on PCNA's.

Next time it might be your car, or mine. Hold their feet to the fire, and give 'em hell!
Old 04-17-2014, 03:10 AM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 288 Likes on 165 Posts

I have a 997.1 C2S which I have had from new. It has the upgraded bearing and has had near bulletproof reliability and build quality. I have been trying to force myself to upgrade to a 991. Reading stories like this, it always makes me wonder if once you get a really good car, you are foolish to take a chance on letting it go and having something like this happen to you. I think I am going to keep my car and buy a new F type R coupe with the difference!
Jim
Old 04-17-2014, 03:15 AM
Gripster
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 73 Posts

Nick - I've been following this story with interest. PCNA's policies have been crafted to deal with the kind of little niggles that obsessive owners complain about and I'm sure that they get all sorts of unreasonable demands for vehicle replacement for rattles, squeaks. Clearly that is not the case here - and yet their policies result in you getting in the brown end of the stick for a genuine grievance.

I can understand why you are at the end of the proverbial tether. This video comes off as a bit of a rant - but it is effective and anyone at PCNA who is following this will see it as an embarrassment. Now, you may have awakened a sleeping giant and I would not be surprised to see you get a cease and desist, or for some deal to be worked out on condition that you remove the video as well as a gag order for you to not publicly complain about this any further.

Keep us posted - I truly hope that this works out for you. I'll be watching.
Old 04-17-2014, 06:43 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 319 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by nmurray22
The offer on the table is money back minus a percentage for the miles I have covered. How much they take off is really what I am pressing them on.

Maybe that is unreasonable, but all things considered I think not. I have no idea what I would get if I take it to litigation but I think I will find out next week.
Well that seems like a straightforward case for the LL arbitrator or any other court you take it to. Assuming that there are no issues to judge about the cause of the electrical problems, you should quickly end up whole.
Old 04-17-2014, 08:22 AM
Ceepe
Rennlist Member

Received 539 Likes on 285 Posts

Lemon laws are sufficient to render a fair judgement to both sides. This case belongs in arbitration proceedings, not the internet, where only one side is presented. And while you're cheering this mudfest, consider that some of it might stick to the resale value of your second largest purchase.
Frankly, I'm amazed at some of the responses. I love when people process a saga like this through their own ownership perspective and bottom line.

Last edited by Ceepe; 04-17-2014 at 08:47 AM.

Quick Reply: 991 issues update and lemon law filling new video