Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Feeling like I made a mistake....

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2022, 05:38 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,335 Likes on 752 Posts

It happens, some like them and some don't and for some, cars just don't do it. For me, I'm on Pcar #13. I daily drive my TTS and certainly can't wring it out on a regular basis without going to jail. But I love the ownership experience of the 911 Porsche and I have crossed several generations. So part of it is the driving, that's why I drive it every day, I don't care how many miles I put on it. I just like driving it and I love the fact that I can do this in a car capable of top performance and not worry that its going to break.
And still can't park it and not turn around to look when walking away.

If this doesn't sound like you maybe you need to try another car.
The following 4 users liked this post by Penn4S:
Graufuchs (03-25-2022), GT3FZS (04-13-2022), Patk35 (03-25-2022), The Ox (03-24-2022)
Old 03-24-2022, 05:41 PM
Watson
Burning Brakes

Received 325 Likes on 235 Posts

@Patk35 I think you might not have found the right 911 for you yet. Good news is there are so many flavors of 911 x so many different generations that you will find the right one for you.

Your RRS is the most powerful version short of the SVR. So what about going for the top of the range 911 (GT cars put aside) i.e. the Turbo : 997.2 Turbo/Turbo S, 991.1 or 991.2 Turbo / Turbo S might be something to consider if you decide to eventually sell your 991.1 C2S this summer.
You like the 964 Turbo so you are a 911 Turbo person. I think a modern PDK 911 Turbo(S) would pair nicely with your RRS - there is something about a very well optioned Turbo / Turbo S that makes them excellent all rounder cars. Just my 2 cents.
The following 2 users liked this post by Watson:
Gary12000 (03-25-2022), jbendaou (03-24-2022)
Old 03-24-2022, 05:56 PM
spraguedawley
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Patk35
When I'm driving the car I feel like all the other cars on the road are either spoiling my fun or trying to kill me, probably me being a crazy person.

I've never owned a fast manual car and never really wanted to. I don't really care for driving stick, sacrilege I know.

I was up in the hills of Rockland county last friday night and had a great time however I'm doubting whether I'll have enough of these types of opportunities. Hoping that changes with the seasons, I like to think this is just part of what happens when you buy a sportscar in the middle of a North-Eastern Winter

I bought it because it was my childhood dream to own a 911. I waited until I could comfortably afford to keep it as a second/weekend car. I haven't really had the opportunity to use it given almost every weekend its either below freezing / pissing rain / or worse. I'm really not sure, my brother thinks my daily is too close in terms of real world speed with the added benefit of being like driving a couch when not in Dynamic mode.
Just drive it in the crappy weather too. thats the great thing about these cars. they can be daily drivers. super fun daily drivers. I live in MI and drive my 911 all year, as do my friends. you have to drive it to love it.
The following 3 users liked this post by spraguedawley:
Al.Fresco (03-24-2022), GT3FZS (04-13-2022), jbendaou (03-24-2022)
Old 03-24-2022, 06:09 PM
koala
Three Wheelin'

Received 539 Likes on 315 Posts

Give it more time. I have gone through periods where I question why I own this car (I'm coming up on 5 years of 991.1 C2S 7 MT ownership). It's particularly hard in the winter months when it just sits parked in the garage. I don't have the desire to winter drive a RWD sports car anymore (did that in my early 20's, that was enough for me back then!).

I've come to really enjoy the journey of perfecting this car. I've had a ton of problems with mine and it's been rewarding to work through the issues, even though it's required a lot of time, energy and money.

My typical drive is pretty boring, so there is also the reality that I'm wasting this car's capabilities as I can't really wring it out too often without risking jail time, but I continually find inventive ways to drive it hard within reasonable risk tolerances.
The following 3 users liked this post by koala:
Guards_Red_991 (03-25-2022), mc3456 (03-26-2022), Patk35 (03-25-2022)
Old 03-24-2022, 08:58 PM
AR_Motorwerkz
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 159 Likes on 117 Posts

Simple hint: If you don't look back after you park it, It's not the right car for you!
981KMAN (03-25-2022), Cuda911 (03-25-2022), desmotesta (03-24-2022), gc88 (03-25-2022), GT3FZS (04-13-2022), jbendaou (03-24-2022), T3X4S (04-14-2022), The Ox (03-25-2022) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-24-2022, 09:17 PM
jbendaou
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

So true!!! Turn back and say: damn!!! Those curves! LOL
The following 5 users liked this post by jbendaou:
Cuda911 (03-25-2022), desmotesta (03-25-2022), GT3FZS (04-13-2022), Imola02 (03-25-2022), T3X4S (04-14-2022)
Old 03-25-2022, 09:45 AM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 430 Likes on 307 Posts
Default Really modern cars are so good

That almost most any car with a performance tilt is great on a twisty road without the compromises you make for a sports car. We live in a great time when my 36k brand new volkswagon golf R can cause an ear splitting grin. Try a BMW 5 series or Audi they are better at more things.
Old 03-25-2022, 10:56 AM
Pb Pedis
Rennlist Member

Received 1,036 Likes on 654 Posts
Default Well...

Originally Posted by Patk35
...You hit the nail on the head, it's not so much as there's something wrong with the car as I don't live in an area where I can really enjoy it....
I would take the evaluation hurdle a step even further - if the car doesn't satisfy your sports car itch even while cruising on a straight road, pick something else or perhaps sell and not bother replacing it with another sporty car.

Living in Florida is not a good comparison, but my own experience is that I don't need an aggressive drive or curvy roads to enjoy driving the car. Having been to the track with it, I know what it feels like to push the car and I derive satisfaction from the knowledge that this capable beast is a throttle input away from a big smile. I delight in knowing it's capabilities at the same time I am enjoying its uniquely Porsche character - many of which are deliberately uncomfortable but no less charming to me.

So, I think the key tests are twofold - do you enjoy just cruising in the car, and do you turn around to look at it after you've parked. If it's not a convincing yes to both questions, you should move on because life is too short for compromise.
The following 2 users liked this post by Pb Pedis:
Patk35 (03-25-2022), Watson (03-25-2022)
Old 03-25-2022, 02:38 PM
CTDan
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by NF4710
Drive the 911 as much as you can for a few weeks. If you don’t enjoy it then move on because there are many great cars out there. If you want a weekend fun car there are many more interesting and exclusive options. Having a 911 and not daily driving it (weather permitting) is like having a dishwasher but hand washing your dishes instead IMO. The good news is that current market pricing probably means you’ll make money if you sell your 991.

Cheers,
NF

^^^^^^
This...
I owned quite a few 911's before I "got it".
I'd leave them in the garage for fear of too many miles, or too many stone chips, or because they might get dirty... Then I'd eventually sell them because I didn't use them and felt like there were better uses for the money.

The last 3 I've owned I've driven almost daily and couldn't be happier with the cars. Also, I think it would be a shame for you to sell it without at least trying a DE event.
The following users liked this post:
Patk35 (03-25-2022)
Old 03-26-2022, 04:52 AM
Jae S. Park
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Dejavu

i see this quite often in bike communities.
These are basically grown mans toys. You've already paid the coins. Do whatever pleases you.
The following users liked this post:
Jimmyk79 (04-19-2022)
Old 03-26-2022, 05:01 AM
BetaSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 24 Posts

Finally the real answer for me - you’re having a problem ‘justifying’ it… which I can understand. The issue doesn’t seem to be PDK or manual, .1 or .2, weather or amount of use. Every vehicle I’ve sold due to justification issues I’ve regretted doing so, some sooner than others. I’m lucky enough to have an almost 500hp SQ5 for a daily, so I totally understand the RRS for you. Keep the 911 until at least June as a fun car, for some people they don’t make good daily drivers, nothing wrong with that, don’t stress about not using it but make the most of it when you do. I enjoy my weekend cars no matter the circumstances, but obviously prefer good weather and a flowing country drive. Try doing a few small things to make it ‘yours’ in your spare time, as in individualizing it small or large, or even detailing it. Sometimes you don’t have to drive it to enjoy it. Be safe and best of luck in your first world problems
Old 03-26-2022, 08:48 AM
mc3456
Rennlist Member

Received 432 Likes on 255 Posts

Makes perfect sense to me. My 991.2 C4S Cab is my 5th Porsche but least fun to drive, though it is a beautiful-looking car. For some odd reason though, it feels too refined for a sporty car. I often debate whether to just sell it or move from APR Stage 1 to Stage 3, but my beef has less to do with power and more to do with refinement. Guessing I’m more of a 718 Spyder type of guy these days as I find that car much more of a singular purpose sports car. The C4S is more of a Swiss Army knife because it can do everything really well but driving engagement is slightly lacking unless you live someplace where you can constantly wring it out. I actually enjoy daily driving my 505hp SUV more than the C4S…unless it is a warm, sunny day and can put the top down.

Last edited by mc3456; 03-26-2022 at 08:54 AM.
Old 03-26-2022, 10:06 AM
C2 Turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 184 Posts

If you don't like it now, you never will. I have had cars where within days of ownership, I knew they gotta go. You are lucky the market is high right now so don't justify on keeping the car, let it go.
Old 03-26-2022, 11:18 AM
mc3456
Rennlist Member

Received 432 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by C2 Turbo
If you don't like it now, you never will. I have had cars where within days of ownership, I knew they gotta go. You are lucky the market is high right now so don't justify on keeping the car, let it go.
I think the biggest reason I'm not feeling the C4S is that the combo of traffic, police presence, and too much power for local roads render it not as much fun as a lesser-powered car you can wring out even at slower speeds. I ran into the same issue with an AMG E63s I had owned when daily commuting to/from Boston. Amazing vehicle but just too much car for local roads. The only time I ever truly enjoyed it was an early morning blast down to Lime Rock for an AMG Driving Academy event. The car I had prior to the C4S was an Alfa 4C Spider. Nowhere near as capable as the C4S, but SO much more engaging to drive...even around town. Such a fun little car!

UPDATE: I have since mounted new Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires on my Summer HREs, and the combo has really improved the handling of the car, so much so, I've decided to keep it and do a few fun enhancements this Summer. I highly recommend trying the MPS 4S for those who are on the fence about changing from the stock Pirellis.

Last edited by mc3456; 04-03-2022 at 12:14 PM.
Old 03-26-2022, 02:01 PM
Launch Mini
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Similar, but not the same thoughts.
I've progress from a 09 Cayman 2, to 17 991.2 C2, now a 2020 992 Cab.
Don't get me wrong, love the 992, BUT, I rarely get a chance to use what the car has to offer. By the time the car is in the happy zone, we are well about impound the car speed limits.
So from that POV, the Cayman was a more fun car to drive. Yeah it still had way more oomph than one needs for DD, but I did get to use more of what it had to offer me.
Also, with the winter just coming to an end, there were not many days in the last 4 months where I could stretch the 992's legs a bit.
Once late spring and summer comes and I get more days in the drivers seat, I will like it more. It's like reverse Cabin Fever.

So I has crossed my mind to pick up another fun car that you need to push a bit more to get that feeling of using more of the car.

Not planning on getting rid of the 911 though.

Other cars in the driveway are a Jeep Wrangler, and a 21 Macan and had a Tacoma for part of the winter ( new on coming in May).GTS. So do have options.
What I did find was, when I would drive the Tacoma as my DD, when I got into the 991, it felt more special as it was night & day difference.
WIfe drive's the Macan as her DD, so I don't drive it much, but that is also a very capable vehicle too.

So the OP is in a similar situation. 2 Nice Luxury cars, and when you can't push the 911, it doesn't feel as big of a difference in performance.

The most fun car I had was a 2002 Mini Cooper manual. It handle amazingly well, but in order to get it move, you really had to drive it hard. Was easy to redline shift through most of the gears as you had to in order to get up to speed. Made you feel like you were in racecar, even just on regular roads at the speed limits..
Now with the 992 with PDK, 3 shifts and I am well over our freeway speeds.

Also, when I went from the Cayman to the 991.2, it took me a long while to truly get the feel and appreciate the 911 over the Cayman.

Give your car the next 2 months, get some good spirited drives in and really try to feel what the car is doing, how it is handling the road and how it responds to your input. If you can afford to keep it, do so, as having regrets after you sell it, and wanting back into a 911 will be more $$ than holding onto this one for another season.

Quick Reply: Feeling like I made a mistake....