Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Feeling like I made a mistake....

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2022, 07:16 PM
jayson
Rennlist Member

Received 497 Likes on 151 Posts

You say a 911 was a childhood dream, but also say you don't like driving a manual and much prefer driving a Range Rover. A 911 (or any sportscar for that matter) is not the car for you.

You would likely be happier in a Panamera or some other form of grand tourer.

The following 4 users liked this post by jayson:
asellus (03-24-2022), cpbmd (05-04-2022), professorman (05-24-2022), quattroboy (03-24-2022)
Old 03-23-2022, 07:26 PM
Patk35
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Unhappy

Originally Posted by asellus
Hm.

Well, probably give it a chance for it to be appropriate weather so you can actually drive it. I assume it has summer tires on it? If so, it'll feel comparatively awful to drive under about 60F.

That said, it's still a 911, and as such it's loud, stinky, and uncomfortable. A far cry from your SUV.
I put All Seasons on the car and that's made a world of difference in terms of ride quality. It's not an uncomfortable car for me to sit in and use and it's not even that loud compared to my old ****boxes and the modded S4 I used to drive.

Originally Posted by Live Steam
Are you looking for someone to talk you out of selling or to tell you it's OK? Very confusing thread since it would likely be the case that if there was another with similar feelings and they sold, they're probably no longer participating on this board. Sell now if you have regrets. You'll get the most back in this market. Good luck with your choice.
I think I'm more looking for advice on whether or not I'm just dealing with owning a sports car in a North Eastern winter or whether I'm actually having buyer's remorse.

Originally Posted by desmotesta
If I ever got close to asking/mentioning that I want to sell my car (and I did , a few months ago), there will be no going back. Just the idea that your beloved and dream Toy isn't making you smile from ear to ear is all you need to know to make your decision.
Having this much money tied up in something that you hope, one day, may be, possibility , bring you more joy than it does currently, is proof this car isn't for you.

I dont have to go fast, not break the speed limit or finish a hot lap at the local race track to know that this car is what I want. It costs thousands and thousands more than many cars that are faster in a straight line, but the joy it brings the moment I turn the steering, the way the car settles, the way the rear biased engine dares me to lift mid corner so it can bite me, the way it holds its line and the way it puts every one of its now-meager HP down on exit, is all I need from my beloved toy.

lastly, Location is HUGE

We went for a 2 week trip to Sonoma last year and the roads there were so Epic that I could have had ( and I did) a rental Toyota Camry and had TONS of fun driving through those curvy roads. Location is at least as important as the car, if not more. You can have more fun in a great location with an average car, than in a great car and below average location.

Hope this helps
When I get the chance to use the car how I want to, there's nothing I'd rather be in. I guess I'm just not sure whether or not those experiences are available enough given where I live and having a demanding job.
Old 03-23-2022, 07:30 PM
Patk35
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jayson
You say a 911 was a childhood dream, but also say you don't like driving a manual and much prefer driving a Range Rover. A 911 (or any sportscar for that matter) is not the car for you.

You would likely be happier in a Panamera or some other form of grand tourer.
I don't like driving manual mostly because I have a very bad left knee, so I can't really engage my full concentration, if that makes sense. I don't know whether I'm not a fit for the car or I just bought it at the wrong time and missed out on a good honeymoon period.
Old 03-23-2022, 07:33 PM
F355bob
Rennlist Member

Received 302 Likes on 158 Posts

You,'re asking questions only you can answer.
The following 3 users liked this post by F355bob:
asellus (03-24-2022), GT3FZS (04-12-2022), XLR82XS (03-24-2022)
Old 03-23-2022, 07:45 PM
jfischet
Three Wheelin'

Received 633 Likes on 367 Posts

it's not a mistake, it's a learning experience. (side note: a 991.1 is not the porsche you dreamt about as a kid, that was most likely an air-cooled 911 so it could be that.)

but sticking with your current car, you seem to like the comfort of the SUV so maybe it's the ride quality.
you can try the comfort pressure settings on the tires. if that's doesn't take the edge off you could maybe get a DSC controller.
Old 03-23-2022, 07:45 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 1,028 Likes on 612 Posts

at least your car probably went up in value since you bought it so you will either break even or even make a little
Old 03-23-2022, 08:00 PM
NJ991
Rennlist Member

Received 368 Likes on 214 Posts

What model do you have? If it’s a base 991.1, it could feel underwhelming. I think a 991.2 model would do it for you.
The following users liked this post:
GT3FZS (04-12-2022)
Old 03-23-2022, 08:10 PM
Patk35
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jfischet
it's not a mistake, it's a learning experience. (side note: a 991.1 is not the porsche you dreamt about as a kid, that was most likely an air-cooled 911 so it could be that.)

That car was a Black On Black 964 Turbo, which is unobtanium.

but sticking with your current car, you seem to like the comfort of the SUV so maybe it's the ride quality.
you can try the comfort pressure settings on the tires. if that's doesn't take the edge off you could maybe get a DSC controller.
I've traded the tires to all seasons and its helped the ride quality a lot. DSC could be an option.

Originally Posted by Joec500
at least your car probably went up in value since you bought it so you will either break even or even make a little
Inshallah .

Originally Posted by NJ991
What model do you have? If it’s a base 991.1, it could feel underwhelming. I think a 991.2 model would do it for you.
It's a C2S with the sport exhaust. If I sell the car I'm probably going to take that as an indicator my life can't support two cars.
Old 03-23-2022, 08:50 PM
GSBruce
Intermediate

Received 45 Likes on 15 Posts

Sell it and move on. Clearly you're not cut out to be a Porsche man. Few are.

Last edited by GSBruce; 03-23-2022 at 09:06 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by GSBruce:
Babyray (03-27-2022), GT3FZS (04-12-2022), stiffler199 (03-24-2022), The Ox (03-24-2022)
Old 03-23-2022, 08:55 PM
Levy
Racer

Received 284 Likes on 163 Posts

agree with a couple other comments ......much of what you've said sounds confusing

after reading some of your replies (a couple times), it *seems* you are unhappy with how often and how much you've enjoyed the car thus far??

IF this is correct, then i'd strongly suggest waiting for the weather to break before deciding anything. mine sits almost all winter long except for the handful of days that are warm/dry enough to take a spin. even those days aren't that great as the tires can barley get heated up and the windows are up/heater is on (i have RR Sport V8 too and it gets driven 95% of the time all winter long). you purchased a summer sports car at the beginning of winter lol. you haven't even had a chance to really enjoy it yet. if you've dreamed of having one for so long, what's the rush on bailing out a few WINTERY months in?

once it warms up, it's a completely different situation entirely (for me). drive my 991.1S every day and you couldn't wipe the huge grin off my face if you tried. it's a daily driver so i deal with lots of traffic, but even that's enjoyable with the PDK. obviously the real fun happens on open roads and such which i try to hit as often as possible. usually weekends and weekday evenings.

been riding motorcycles (sport bikes) my entire life and have faced the "winter blues" many times. it's fairly common when you live in Midwest type climates. give yourself a month of real summer driving before you cut the cord. worst case scenario is you'll know for sure you're not a "911 guy". best case is you'll LOVE IT and laugh at the thought of ever selling or being without one (like me).

best o luck
The following 5 users liked this post by Levy:
Manda Racing (03-24-2022), maplefrm (03-24-2022), ParkslopeDope (03-26-2022), Patk35 (03-23-2022), V999 (04-05-2022)
Old 03-23-2022, 09:01 PM
Patk35
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Levy
agree with a couple other comments ......much of what you've said sounds confusing

after reading some of your replies (a couple times), it *seems* you are unhappy with how often and how much you've enjoyed the car thus far??

IF this is correct, then i'd strongly suggest waiting for the weather to break before deciding anything. mine sits almost all winter long except for the handful of days that are warm/dry enough to take a spin. even those days aren't that great as the tires can barley get heated up and the windows are up/heater is on (i have RR Sport V8 too and it gets driven 95% of the time all winter long). you purchased a summer sports car at the beginning of winter lol. you haven't even had a chance to really enjoy it yet. if you've dreamed of having one for so long, what's the rush on bailing out a few WINTERY months in?

once it warms up, it's a completely different situation entirely (for me). drive my 991.1S every day and you couldn't wipe the huge grin off my face if you tried. it's a daily driver so i deal with lots of traffic, but even that's enjoyable with the PDK. obviously the real fun happens on open roads and such which i try to hit as often as possible. usually weekends and weekday evenings.

been riding motorcycles (sport bikes) my entire life and have faced the "winter blues" many times. it's fairly common when you live in Midwest type climates. give yourself a month of real summer driving before you cut the cord. worst case scenario is you'll know for sure you're not a "911 guy". best case is you'll LOVE IT and laugh at the thought of ever selling or being without one (like me).

best o luck
This is good advice thank you. I'm unhappy with how infrequently I'm getting to use the car not with the car when I get to use it.

I'm leaning towards giving it 30 days and then deciding.
Old 03-23-2022, 09:15 PM
Al.Fresco
Three Wheelin'

Received 332 Likes on 190 Posts

Any opportunity to track or auto cross it for a bit more fun?
Patk35 (03-23-2022)
Old 03-23-2022, 09:17 PM
Patk35
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Al.Fresco
Any opportunity to track or auto cross it for a bit more fun?
​​​​​​Local PCA has an hpde day coming up, I will look into this. Very good idea thanks for the suggestion.
Old 03-23-2022, 09:44 PM
MingusDew
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,240 Likes on 625 Posts

Originally Posted by desmotesta
If I ever got close to asking/mentioning that I want to sell my car (and I did , a few months ago), there will be no going back. Just the idea that your beloved and dream Toy isn't making you smile from ear to ear is all you need to know to make your decision.
Having this much money tied up in something that you hope, one day, may be, possibility , bring you more joy than it does currently, is proof this car isn't for you.

I dont have to go fast, not break the speed limit or finish a hot lap at the local race track to know that this car is what I want. It costs thousands and thousands more than many cars that are faster in a straight line, but the joy it brings the moment I turn the steering, the way the car settles, the way the rear biased engine dares me to lift mid corner so it can bite me, the way it holds its line and the way it puts every one of its now-meager HP down on exit, is all I need from my beloved toy.

lastly, Location is HUGE

We went for a 2 week trip to Sonoma last year and the roads there were so Epic that I could have had ( and I did) a rental Toyota Camry and had TONS of fun driving through those curvy roads. Location is at least as important as the car, if not more. You can have more fun in a great location with an average car, than in a great car and below average location.

Hope this helps
A trip my wife and I made to Napa was part of why we moved out here. The canyon roads are amazing. Every time I go for a cruise I feel lucky to live here.
GT3FZS (04-12-2022)
Old 03-23-2022, 10:00 PM
FlyDL757
Advanced

Received 71 Likes on 16 Posts

Interesting. I also have had multiple RRs… a 2016 RRS, a 2018 RRS, a 2017 RR and now a 2020 RR. I love the quality and tech on the RRs, but on the sports always felt they were very underpowered (although handling is great). The sound on the V6 is…hondaesque. I recently picked up my 3rd 911, my first 991.2, a C2S. I was skeptical on the turbos, but the .2 is really a phenomenal car. I drive it every time the sun is out, even just for 20 minutes a day to relax and smile.

If it doesn’t do that for you… do something else. I love the sound between 3 and 5k rpm, I love the full leather, I love the CarPlay in the .2, and I love the feeling of shifting through the gears, plus the burbles in sport. Decided I am no longer driving cars I don’t love. I came out of an M5 back to the 911, and I really disliked it. It was too much and yet numb/quiet at the same time.

Now I have the 911, the Rover, and a Raptor. Perfect for any occasion
The following 2 users liked this post by FlyDL757:
GT3FZS (04-12-2022), Patk35 (03-23-2022)

Quick Reply: Feeling like I made a mistake....