Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Feeling like I made a mistake....

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2022, 06:56 PM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

Received 615 Likes on 393 Posts

After five years, I am selling my 2018 911 4s. It is a great car and the ownership experience has been wonderful. But it has become increasingly hard for me to use it as my only car in NH and I don't have room here for 3 cars. And driving the manual car has become painful due to arthritis. Sucks! I think down the road, I will buy a Boxster for our Florida home if we start spending more time there. I had one before my 911 and I loved that car even though it was stored 5-6 months of the year in a rented garage.
The following users liked this post:
Patk35 (04-14-2022)
Old 04-19-2022, 01:10 AM
9ONCE
Advanced

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Old 04-19-2022, 12:22 PM
dflowerz
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

Got my car back from Queen City Auto Rebuild last Friday and it looks like new. Queen City is THE place in the PNW to get your car repaired. Pretty happy to have that left rear quarter panel dent and right front bumper scrape gone. My car has been through a lot what with the rat caused wiring harness issue, then the quarter panel dent, and a brief period of deciding to get rid of the car. Now all is good and the car will stay for awhile. Back to the plan of eventually leaving the car down in California, but we will at least keep it in the Pacific Northwest through the summer. I have a deposit down for a Tesla Model Y Long Range to also keep down in California as my wife's car. Not 100% sure I will actually buy a Model Y, but was worth the $250 deposit to at least get in line. Estimated delivery is Oct 2022-Jan 2023. Fine with me. I am in no hurry.

Managed to get the combination of a totally empty roundabout transitioning to a freeway onramp last Sunday and just wailed it with that flat six singing and it was fantastic. I was laughing out loud to myself in the car. Soooo fun. I don't think I would ever get that from an electric car due to lack of engine wail. Would kind of suck though to be flat out and have a garden variety electric car blast past me. Bound to happen at some point. Might be awhile before an electric car can match a 911 or Cayman in handling and braking as electric cars are so much heavier with roughly the same tire contact patch, but I digress The other two vehicles that I can get that kind of Porsche speed fix are sport motorcycles and going downhill on a mountain bike. Done with sport bikes though. Mountain bikes are kind of post ride exhilaration that I am still in one piece with nothing broken....!
Old 04-19-2022, 06:01 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,432 Likes on 827 Posts

Originally Posted by dflowerz
Got my car back from Queen City Auto Rebuild last Friday and it looks like new. Queen City is THE place in the PNW to get your car repaired. Pretty happy to have that left rear quarter panel dent and right front bumper scrape gone. My car has been through a lot what with the rat caused wiring harness issue, then the quarter panel dent, and a brief period of deciding to get rid of the car. Now all is good and the car will stay for awhile. Back to the plan of eventually leaving the car down in California, but we will at least keep it in the Pacific Northwest through the summer. I have a deposit down for a Tesla Model Y Long Range to also keep down in California as my wife's car. Not 100% sure I will actually buy a Model Y, but was worth the $250 deposit to at least get in line. Estimated delivery is Oct 2022-Jan 2023. Fine with me. I am in no hurry.

Managed to get the combination of a totally empty roundabout transitioning to a freeway onramp last Sunday and just wailed it with that flat six singing and it was fantastic. I was laughing out loud to myself in the car. Soooo fun. I don't think I would ever get that from an electric car due to lack of engine wail. Would kind of suck though to be flat out and have a garden variety electric car blast past me. Bound to happen at some point. Might be awhile before an electric car can match a 911 or Cayman in handling and braking as electric cars are so much heavier with roughly the same tire contact patch, but I digress The other two vehicles that I can get that kind of Porsche speed fix are sport motorcycles and going downhill on a mountain bike. Done with sport bikes though. Mountain bikes are kind of post ride exhilaration that I am still in one piece with nothing broken....!
cool...whats that gotta do with this thread?
Old 04-19-2022, 06:19 PM
dflowerz
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

General theme of keeping a 911 versus selling it. Why I decided to keep it. Original poster is selling his. I almost sold mine but stepped back and instead had it repaired.
Old 04-19-2022, 09:49 PM
Jimmyk79
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 29 Posts

Hey @Patk35 - this is a great thread and thanks for posting - often many of us do not have the patience or care for these soft conversations - and our responses can be jarring. However, most peoples responses were thoughtful and pragmatic - and the ones that were aggressive, condescending or short I think you handled them well and did not respond to the provocation - nice!

@Quadcammer well said!

@Patk35 The fact that you had a real dilemma - went through a process - reached a solid conclusion and are now executing based on the forums feedback and your own experience is brilliant! It does not seem to happen enough.

@jbendaou comment really resonated with me and brought good introspection - forgive me for being crass but no better way to illustrate my point - I have a cash worth into the low 8 figures and no debt however I find stress and guilt when I splurge initially on anything above 20k. His comments on easing into the experience helped him come to terms with it - and it is also how I operate. While it may not apply to you very helpful for me.

Really good to see you find the answer you were seeking and good to read through your journey on reaching it! My thanks for the post and good luck with the sale

Originally Posted by Patk35
So I swung for the fences and got (what I thought was) my dream car in December. Its been about 4 months now and I can't say I've really connected with the car the way I expected to.

We've had a really nasty couple of months weather wise and I find the car is just sitting most of the time.

In all marginal cases, I've taken the Range Sport and found myself thoroughly happy I did. Every-time I drive the Range Rover I fall in love with it again, the 911 I feel guilty for not liking it more.

I've had some fun drives in the hills and on the rare nice afternoon but nothing has come close to the level of the test drive.

I went to a PCA meet and everyone was really cool and complimented the car. Friends and family have been really supportive so it's not social pressure causing this.

I'm thinking to give it a further 60 days and then list the car for sale if I don't change my mind? Is this common, has anyone else dealt with this or am being stupid?

Last edited by Jimmyk79; 04-19-2022 at 10:03 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Jimmyk79:
Patk35 (04-20-2022), z168 (04-20-2022)
Old 04-19-2022, 10:14 PM
mikefocke
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 71 Posts

There is a time to move on. I've been lucky enough to own 5 sports cars in my life, 3 of them mid-engined Porsches. All convertibles. Even scraped 8" of snow off my car cover to take one to work over a 4WD.

And when I realized I wasn't driving my last one enough, the next day it was for sale. I check in here for nostalgia sake.

You have had the experience and realized it wasn't something you were enthused about.

No shame in that. Glad you got to experience it and will wonder no more.

Good luck with the sale.
The following 3 users liked this post by mikefocke:
Patk35 (04-20-2022), Pb Pedis (04-20-2022), z168 (04-20-2022)
Old 04-20-2022, 12:05 AM
Patk35
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

@Jimmyk79 Thanks for your thoughts and words. It's something I might return to but I have other goals I want to pursue. Collecting Cars gave me a reserve price which is exactly what I need to get so I'm feeling good about it.

@mikefocke Not the right car and not the right time in life I guess. Thanks for your perspective.
dflowerz (04-20-2022)
Old 04-21-2022, 03:20 PM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

Received 615 Likes on 393 Posts

Good call to sell the car quickly instead of agonizing over it for a year and then throwing in the towel. If it doesn’t appeal when still new ro you, it will only get worse IMO. It is also a great time to sell a car in very high demand.
Patk35 (04-21-2022)
Old 04-21-2022, 03:35 PM
991_T
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by 9ONCE
Bahahahahah I know right
Old 04-21-2022, 03:39 PM
Patk35
Rennlist Member

Unhappy

Originally Posted by AnandN
Good call to sell the car quickly instead of agonizing over it for a year and then throwing in the towel. If it doesn’t appeal when still new ro you, it will only get worse IMO. It is also a great time to sell a car in very high demand.
I wish I knew what went wrong but I'm not sticking around to find out.
Originally Posted by 991_T
Bahahahahah I know right
I am this emoji, Porsche ownership has been the most frustrating and disappointing 5 months of my life.
Old 04-21-2022, 04:04 PM
ICU991812
Instructor

Received 92 Likes on 59 Posts

Love my wife's 991 (PDK) a lot, but something was "missing" and I thought maybe it was just that it was a cab when we wanted a coupe. Then I drove a friend's new '22 CooperS a few weeks back and I knew it was the manual transmission I was missing. I think I was trying to convince myself that the PDK was fine, I didn't need a manual, but I was wrong. So, went and got a "beater" 996 with 6-speed to correct the manual and coupe "issue." Now waiting to get the IMS changed out, and I'll be in 911 heaven fully. Now we have a her's and his' 911.
Patk35 (04-21-2022)
Old 04-21-2022, 04:12 PM
Harsany
Racer

Received 127 Likes on 42 Posts

It's all a matter of preference. Do what makes you happy and never look back. Who knows one day you buy another Porsche or you may never go back. It's your choice. I currently love my 911 and have missed all my Porsches before this one, hell I just picked up a 2022 Macan GTS and It's so sweet and it sounds so great that when I'm driving it I think, why do I need my 991? Then I drive the 991 and I know the answer...I need it! That's just me, not everyone feels this way and that's cool.

Good luck.
Patk35 (04-21-2022)
Old 04-21-2022, 04:25 PM
Patk35
Rennlist Member

Unhappy

Originally Posted by Harsany
It's all a matter of preference. Do what makes you happy and never look back. Who knows one day you buy another Porsche or you may never go back. It's your choice. I currently love my 911 and have missed all my Porsches before this one, hell I just picked up a 2022 Macan GTS and It's so sweet and it sounds so great that when I'm driving it I think, why do I need my 991? Then I drive the 991 and I know the answer...I need it! That's just me, not everyone feels this way and that's cool.

Good luck.
Thanks, I'm feeling good about collecting cars. At some point in March I walked into the garage, looked at the car and thought "this is in the way of the gun safe". After that it just took me a few weeks to go with my instincts.
Old 04-21-2022, 05:02 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,117 Likes on 1,320 Posts

Originally Posted by Patk35
... Porsche ownership has been the most frustrating and disappointing 5 months of my life.
Yeah... again, never meet your heroes.
Patk35 (04-21-2022)

Quick Reply: Feeling like I made a mistake....