Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Feeling like I made a mistake....

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2022, 04:01 PM
Ceepe
Rennlist Member

Received 579 Likes on 297 Posts

Sounds like it's maybe not the right car. Now is probably the best time to make a change if so. But before you sell make sure you find some area and weather to enter a turn hot, massage the understeer and front end via trailbraking, then maintenance throttle until full throttle a split second after the apex. Just to be sure you're not going to miss what is one of the most unique cornering experiences one can have with four wheels.

Last edited by Ceepe; 03-26-2022 at 04:03 PM.
Old 03-26-2022, 05:37 PM
dflowerz
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

At least keep it through the summer and good driving conditions. I have owned a 991.2 since spring 2016 and don't drive the car a lot, but once in awhile have one of those drives that remind me why I bought the car in the first place. I plan on moving the car down to California where I think it will be a lot more fun due to the better weather and so many good roads to drive on.

If, after the summer, you still are not loving the car then sell it. At this rate you will get more than what you paid for it.

I am under a bit of pressure to trade my 911 for something that can support a full size baby seat, but I know if I let the 911 go then I doubt I will ever have another one. So for now the 911 stays!
Old 03-26-2022, 11:19 PM
Live Steam
Racer

Received 340 Likes on 138 Posts

Amazing thread
The following 2 users liked this post by Live Steam:
991_T (03-27-2022), NI3 (03-27-2022)
Old 03-26-2022, 11:20 PM
NJBThor
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

I live in NJ (a little more central than you, but pretty close to as congested), and there is a real lack of good driving roads down here. I'd definitely give it through at least May, and see if you can't make some time to enjoy some drives, as well as some HPDE and other events. Outside of taking it on some short blasts up Rt 1 where I can hear the engine come alive, there's nowhere in the immediate area to really enjoy it without traffic getting in the way. (Maybe a nice, curvy uphill spot coming off Rt 22 heading up toward Warren, but that's way too short). But give yourself a little time as the weather breaks and the road salt disappears for you to find your own local nuggets that you can get some "therapy time" behind the wheel.
The following users liked this post:
mc3456 (03-26-2022)
Old 03-26-2022, 11:57 PM
ICU991812
Instructor

Received 92 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by NJBThor
I live in NJ (a little more central than you, but pretty close to as congested), and there is a real lack of good driving roads down here. I'd definitely give it through at least May, and see if you can't make some time to enjoy some drives, as well as some HPDE and other events. Outside of taking it on some short blasts up Rt 1 where I can hear the engine come alive, there's nowhere in the immediate area to really enjoy it without traffic getting in the way. (Maybe a nice, curvy uphill spot coming off Rt 22 heading up toward Warren, but that's way too short). But give yourself a little time as the weather breaks and the road salt disappears for you to find your own local nuggets that you can get some "therapy time" behind the wheel.
It all depends on what you want out of the driving. If going crazy fast speeds for long periods of distance, then no, there is nothing safe and realistic in NJ. Even what I had mentioned about Pulasky Skywalk late at night/early morning, is nothing I would do nowadays and consistently. If looking for local twisty roads to test the handling, then there are few country roads more to the west near borders of the Del Water Gap that can give some good drives and turns. You just have to find your own joy in what you have, and then of course there are also two tracks (maybe three?) in NJ that you can go onto for a more controlled fast fun.

But yes, overall agree NJ does not have much "fun" roads that are free of other drivers.
NJBThor (03-27-2022)
Old 03-27-2022, 01:07 AM
NJBThor
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by ICU991812
It all depends on what you want out of the driving. If going crazy fast speeds for long periods of distance, then no, there is nothing safe and realistic in NJ. Even what I had mentioned about Pulasky Skywalk late at night/early morning, is nothing I would do nowadays and consistently. If looking for local twisty roads to test the handling, then there are few country roads more to the west near borders of the Del Water Gap that can give some good drives and turns. You just have to find your own joy in what you have, and then of course there are also two tracks (maybe three?) in NJ that you can go onto for a more controlled fast fun.

But yes, overall agree NJ does not have much "fun" roads that are free of other drivers.
I remember watching a Lexus GS race a bike on the Pulaski Skyway, back in the 90s, and was hoping I didn't see signs of either of them flipping off the bridge. That was crazy as hell, and I love speed.
I've driven my 911 down to Florida last year, and it wasn't that bad. Not like driving a luxury car, but I enjoyed it (except for the traffic). But I agree, its all about finding the drives you love, and that's on the individual.
Old 03-27-2022, 01:01 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 755 Likes on 535 Posts

Haven’t read all of the posts. Sorry. If you bought it because you thought you would like it, that’s OK. If others like it and you don’t, that too is OK. You bought it during the winter in NJ and are surprised that you are not driving it much? Get snow tires on it and drive year round. Maybe the NA is not for you. The 991.2 with PDK is a totally different car. Much better for some of us and not the case for others that love NA and manual transmissions. Did you over spend on this purchase and have buyers remorse. In the end drive it when the weather warms up. If you still don’t love it then sell it. No big deal. If you love how your SUV drives then maybe the 911 is not for you. Best to you.
Old 03-27-2022, 01:13 PM
SB27
Rennlist Member

Received 289 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
Sell it and get a 718 Spyder, like I did; however, I had a 991.2 Targa GTS that I loved as well, so it is up to you!
What? You sold the 991.2 Targa 4 GTS? Blasphemy, Bob! :-)

I'm still loving mine. Crazy how capable that car is...and it's PDK ( too much city driving here to enjoy a 6MT).

I feel for the OP. We all have bought stuff that was supposed to be "The Thing" and it just wasn't. At least not for our personal application at that time factoring in where you live.

I traded my 991.2 GT3 (LOVED that damn car) in for a 992TTS. The Turbo S just works better for where I live right now. Not many twisties here. Pretty flat -- a waste of a car like a 991.2 GT3. The Turbo S is mind-blowingly quick and now has some GT roughness baked into in the 992 range (far less so for the 991's and earlier). It hit all the buttons for me and I am enjoying it. On days when its sunny and warm (aka - yesterday), jumping in the GTS Targa is magic.

Good luck to OP finding the right thing for him. What are you in now, Bob? (EDIT -- just now seeing you are in a Spyder -- very nice....fantastic car and package).

ALSO TO THE OP -- I had a 2019.2 RR Sport with the V-8 (non RVR) and the damn brakes warped within 10k miles. Happily, I just leased it and returned it at end of lease. Hopefully, your brakes hold up better than mine did.

Last edited by SB27; 03-27-2022 at 01:16 PM.
Old 03-27-2022, 01:15 PM
HkPlinker
Three Wheelin'

Received 141 Likes on 107 Posts

Service it and clean it up. Next, list it on Bring A Trailer. Done. Move on
SB27 (03-27-2022)
Old 03-28-2022, 09:42 AM
RennListUser01
Pro

Received 141 Likes on 98 Posts

Hmmmm .... an interesting and thought provoking scenario.

I like my 991.1 cab - first Porsche - only had it four months - put about 300 miles on it - obviously not a daily driver, nor would it make, for me a good daily driver.

I accepted I would not be driving it often - weather, traffic, etc (yeah, agree with others - your area is pretty awful for this sort of car - like driving in London and immediate surrounds)- it was never intended to be an either/or driver, but an occasional fun, listen to the engine car.

Am I convinced it is the best car - of any kind - in the world? Nah. But, I am realistic about it's utility. If I only had a single garage, would I keep it and sell the Subaru Ascent? Nah.

So, go to a local PCA event, giggle a bit, listen to stories, have a beer - and, think about it.

BTW - the reason I targeted the 991.1 was it was rougher and less well behaved than the later 991.2 I drove. I really liked the sound and feel of the M4 cab, but the horror stories about quality issues turned me off. It would have been more comfortable to get in and out of (I'm 6'1"), and a better daily driver - but. going back to intent, this was a sunny day car :-)

I've rambled on ...
Old 03-28-2022, 10:22 AM
rileyracing1
Three Wheelin'

Received 402 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by jayson
You say a 911 was a childhood dream, but also say you don't like driving a manual and much prefer driving a Range Rover. A 911 (or any sportscar for that matter) is not the car for you.

You would likely be happier in a Panamera or some other form of grand tourer.
Yep ...Stick with the soccer mom rides if that's your thing ...... I compare 911's to sport bikes they are all different and require a very individual finesse .... Their character takes time to be understood , Then and only then when you understand their abilities , quirks and limitations you realize it's not the car but rather the driver.

Then the fun starts as you hone your skills and then you start to understand and become one with the machine .."Wax on, wax off."

Last edited by rileyracing1; 03-28-2022 at 10:27 AM.
Old 03-28-2022, 11:13 AM
RennListUser01
Pro

Received 141 Likes on 98 Posts

[QUOTE=rileyracing1;18055000]Yep ...Stick with the soccer mom rides if that's your thing ......

Soccer mom ride? Seriously?

Are you trying to be offensive?
Old 04-03-2022, 12:03 PM
Guards_Red_991
Burning Brakes

Received 551 Likes on 256 Posts

[QUOTE=RennListUser01;18055106]
Originally Posted by rileyracing1
Yep ...Stick with the soccer mom rides if that's your thing ......

Soccer mom ride? Seriously?

Are you trying to be offensive?
I don't think he was trying to be offensive, he stated a fact. There's a huge difference between driving a Rover and a 911. It is universal knowledge that one is a huge brick on wheels driven mostly by wealthy Moms and the other one is a canyon carving knife. I like both, and I aware each one serves a different purpose. I think most people here got taken by surprise when the OP compared one driving style with a completely different one.

Lighten up mate, this is the internet. Everyone will have an opinion about your opinion.
Old 04-03-2022, 12:21 PM
Heloris
AutoX

Received 31 Likes on 6 Posts

I totally did the same thing… I purchased a 991.1 early last year. It was a great 4S car with the options I was looking for. Drove it home from out of state and quickly felt like it wasn’t exactly what I wanted…. I kept the car for about 3 months, did some shows, some cruises, but it never quite felt like the Porsche I wanted. So long story short, I decided that the problem I had with the car was 1 - it wasn’t a manual (I convinced my self I didn’t need the manual) 2 - I really enjoyed the low end power of TT. My other cars are all turboed or electric so I have gotten so used to the low end grunt and it was tough for me to really only enjoy the car at 5k+ rpm.

I loved the idea of the car, but not that specific car. I started researching again and came across a .2 Carrera T, with a manual and with the carbon buckets. I drove the car and instantly found what I was missing in my first P car experience. Good or bad, I prefer a motor with low end power and the newer ones provide that in spades. It’s best to be honest with your self and find what you’re really looking for. If this isn’t the car for you, then sell it and either buy a different one or move on all together. You worked hard to get here to be able to purchase a car like this - it’s important you enjoy it!

cheers!
Old 04-03-2022, 12:30 PM
mc3456
Rennlist Member

Received 432 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by rileyracing1
Yep ...Stick with the soccer mom rides if that's your thing ...... I compare 911's to sport bikes they are all different and require a very individual finesse .... Their character takes time to be understood , Then and only then when you understand their abilities , quirks and limitations you realize it's not the car but rather the driver.

Then the fun starts as you hone your skills and then you start to understand and become one with the machine .."Wax on, wax off."
Ugh...there's always one in every car forum.

911s are great cars, but if you've ever owned other more engaging cars, then you'd realize they are far from the ultimate vehicle (a highly-subjective metric)...hence why Porsche themselves makes them in a range of flavors from Mild to Wild. No need to make the OP feel bad for not being as impressed with his car as you are. Plus, I'd hardly call 500hp+ SUVs, some capable of 0-60 in a little as 3.2 seconds and 175MPH+ just "soccer mom vehicles".

Last edited by mc3456; 04-03-2022 at 01:30 PM.

Quick Reply: Feeling like I made a mistake....