991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCM Issue with recent iOS Update?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2020 | 06:40 PM
Brian E
Instructor

I haven't driven my late build 2016 GTS for a couple weeks, been parked in the garage on a tender. After reading this thread, when I took it out yesterday I fully expected to encounter this issue. Fortunately mine seems to not be affected. I only took it for a quick 15 minute drive, so hopefully it doesn't rear its head on the next outing. Also not sure if it makes a difference, but I never activated XM.
Old 05-25-2020 | 07:29 PM
ericmeds
Instructor

Since it was due to a holiday weekend promotional, seems like we're in the clear. My car is also stored away right now.

But also makes me wonder why this hasn't happened before (has it?). Unless the functionality they used is different than other times they conducted promotionals?

If it's different then maybe they have more options and can do it differently next time without updates needed on our end.

Originally Posted by Brian E
I haven't driven my late build 2016 GTS for a couple weeks, been parked in the garage on a tender. After reading this thread, when I took it out yesterday I fully expected to encounter this issue. Fortunately mine seems to not be affected. I only took it for a quick 15 minute drive, so hopefully it doesn't rear its head on the next outing. Also not sure if it makes a difference, but I never activated XM.
Old 05-26-2020 | 04:24 PM
darylbowden
Rennlist Member

I had my 991.1 in the garage and didn't drive it for the last 2 weeks. Drove it yesterday for about 1/2 hour and had no PCM issues. And FWIW, i do subscribe to SXM. Hopefully that means I never received the corrupted file and won't have to do the handover reset.
Old 05-26-2020 | 04:42 PM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by darylbowden
I had my 991.1 in the garage and didn't drive it for the last 2 weeks. Drove it yesterday for about 1/2 hour and had no PCM issues. And FWIW, i do subscribe to SXM. Hopefully that means I never received the corrupted file and won't have to do the handover reset.
That's great news! I'll be pulling my 991.1 out later this week. I use the nav system extensively so I really don't want to lose all of that in the reset.
Old 05-26-2020 | 04:44 PM
Southbranch
Pro

Originally Posted by darylbowden
Let us know if the problem occurs after you drive it again. With my car, the problem only began when I restarted it after a 30 minute drive to the grocery store.
Old 05-26-2020 | 04:55 PM
darylbowden
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Southbranch
Let us know if the problem occurs after you drive it again. With my car, the problem only began when I restarted it after a 30 minute drive to the grocery store.
Will do. I have a Dr appointment tomorrow morning so I'll report back afterwards.
Old 05-26-2020 | 05:40 PM
gearFX
Racer

Originally Posted by ericmeds
Since it was due to a holiday weekend promotional, seems like we're in the clear. My car is also stored away right now.
So this wasn't a "normal" patch/update, simply something that enabled free listening during a holiday weekend promotion? (Which means if we haven't driven the car since before the holiday weekend and never got the rebooting error, and now the promotional period has now passed, does that mean we are "safe" from the reboot problem? Until July 4 or Labor Day that is?)
Old 05-26-2020 | 05:44 PM
SFOJAM
Instructor

So. I "fixed" the problem last week, but reactivated Sirius XM yesterday.

This morning all was well.

Today after lunch, the same symptoms, restarting every 3 minutes or so.

I've "handover" reset the pcm again and will monitor. I don't plan on reactivating Sirius xm until popular consensus states the issue has been resolved
Old 05-26-2020 | 06:40 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by SFOJAM
So. I "fixed" the problem last week, but reactivated Sirius XM yesterday.

This morning all was well.

Today after lunch, the same symptoms, restarting every 3 minutes or so.

I've "handover" reset the pcm again and will monitor. I don't plan on reactivating Sirius xm until popular consensus states the issue has been resolved
Wow. That sucks. Cannot imagine doing the fix, re-paring phone, nav settings, jukebox, etc, then having to do it all over again. Seems as if the Sirrius Virus is more insidious than originally thought
Old 05-26-2020 | 10:25 PM
XSRx
8th Gear

Originally Posted by XSRx
I reset the PCM system on my 2016 911 and 2016 Macan S. The 911 worked fine after one reset effort; the Macan required 4 resets. It'll be interesting to see how long this "fix" lasts. I can imagine Sirius and Porsche locking horns on this issue, and Sirius pushing out a "fix-patch" that undoes all our home remedy efforts. Oh well; c'est la vie!

BTW, the PCM manual lists the instructions for a reset, which are nearly identical to the instructions listed in this thread. I called my dealer about the issue yesterday before checking the web, and not surprisingly have not received a call back. Oh well, they could still be in a lock-down mode, or test driving new arrivals - hopefully the latter.
On a trip to Home Depot this afternoon (5/26/2020) my Macan's PCM cycled off and on - AGAIN. The Handover reset performed 4x on Friday (5/22/2020) held over the weekend. Today required 6 times of resetting PCM Handover before the cycling off/on stopped. The PCM is working for now. Has a definitive software upload problem resolution other than swallowing the PCM reset placebo been identified between Sirius and Porsche? If yes, it's still broken as of 16:30PST.

I've not driven my 911 to determine if the PCM reset performed on 5/22/2020 is holding; and, I'm not about to cycle the starter and take it for a drive to check on this nonsense.

Last edited by XSRx; 05-27-2020 at 04:39 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 05-27-2020 | 11:32 AM
jfischet
Three Wheelin'

this is very upsetting: 1) that it happened in the first place 2) that the "fix" isn't really a fix but a workaround that causes loss of personal data and 3) that apparently even the workaround isn't permanent.

why do we build devices that update over-the-air without at least prompting the owner and asking if it's ok to apply? unacceptable.
Old 05-27-2020 | 12:42 PM
WEM 911 C4S
Advanced

My PCM rebooting issue also started happening again yesterday on my way home from work. I did the handover reset again and all was good this morning. If it happens again I may just cancel my SiriusXM subscription until this is sorted out.
Old 05-27-2020 | 03:04 PM
Southbranch
Pro

IT'S BAAACK!!
The dealer reset my PCM 6 days ago and everything was fine until this morning when it resumed rebooting every 2 or 3 minutes. I don't drive the car every day so who knows how brief a "fix" the handover reset actually is.

As before, it reboots whether I have it turned on or off.

My dealer said that I am the first one of their customers to have it reoccur after a reset, but also they said Porsche dealers nationwide are now reporting this. No solution so far. Stay tuned.
Old 05-27-2020 | 03:35 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

What a disaster! Sirrius needs to held accountable for this fiasco!
Old 05-27-2020 | 03:42 PM
rjongco
Rennlist Member

Haven’t driven my 911 since last week so I’ll have to check. Wouldn’t be surprised if it started happening to me again now too.

Quick Reply: PCM Issue with recent iOS Update?