Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCM Issue with recent iOS Update?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2020, 04:39 PM
RAVSPORT
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why at noon? Started again just like everyone else. Reset is easy but only once - not once a week....
Old 05-27-2020, 05:20 PM
SFOJAM
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Initially, I thought this was due to a failing PCM Hard drive.
I'm planning to clone and replace with a SSD as per jslo's excellent write up.

I DID request a reactivation signal from SiriusXM on Memorial Day, the next day the reboot was back, which points to the XM signal as the corruption, and the causation.

That's the only variable that I can identify. It seems that any single "handover" restart should be sufficient to solve the issue.
Old 05-27-2020, 05:23 PM
2010panny4S
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

hmmmmm. wonder if I should cancel my SXM sub for now and renew once they fix this crap as my car is a daily driver.
Old 05-27-2020, 06:31 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,302 Likes on 887 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
What a disaster! Sirrius needs to held accountable for this fiasco!
Unfortunately I suspect it's not going to be that simple. A quick Google suggests that Porsche customers are the only ones affected, and only those with PCM 3 systems. (Has anyone seen any indications to the contrary?)

If that's the case, the fault lies with Harman America, the OEM. They clearly have a firmware bug that only shows up when Sirius broadcasts a particular configuration message. Volkswagen AG, Porsche AG, PCNA, and Porsche dealers are all equally powerless to do anything about it. My guess is that VAG will have to yell at Harman to provide a firmware update, which the dealer will need to install.

Unlike the last time this happened in 2014 or thereabouts, there may not be a contract in place that obliges Harman to lift a finger. Sirius XM might be able to issue a workaround, which is what I believe was done before, but they may have no obligation to do so, and almost certainly can't be arsed.

IIRC, in the previous case, many other users besides Porsche customers were affected. This time, when the low-level phone reps at Sirius XM say they've never heard of this problem before, they are probably telling the truth.
Old 05-27-2020, 06:36 PM
jfischet
Three Wheelin'

Received 633 Likes on 367 Posts

so earlier someone suggested the idea of disconnecting the XM antenna from the PCM.

I dont use XM so i'm good with that option provided the GPS still works.

anyone know if this is a valid workaround?
Old 05-27-2020, 06:39 PM
darylbowden
Rennlist Member

Received 507 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by Southbranch
Let us know if the problem occurs after you drive it again. With my car, the problem only began when I restarted it after a 30 minute drive to the grocery store.
Following up - I drove it for a few hours today to run a few errands and such. So far, still no PCM issues. I listened to a decent amount of SXM, took a conference call and listened to a podcast through the PCM as well via BT FWIW.
Old 05-27-2020, 08:24 PM
Southbranch
Pro

Received 232 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by darylbowden
Following up - I drove it for a few hours today to run a few errands and such. So far, still no PCM issues. I listened to a decent amount of SXM, took a conference call and listened to a podcast through the PCM as well via BT FWIW.
Maybe you did dodge the bullet, but it is an odd problem. After a reset by the dealer, mine was back to normal for 4 or 5 days too, but when I started the car today the problem was back. Makes me think that XM is still transmitting the file(s) that causes PCM rebooting, or transmitted it again.
Old 05-27-2020, 08:28 PM
darylbowden
Rennlist Member

Received 507 Likes on 335 Posts

Maybe you did dodge the bullet, but it is an odd problem. After a reset by the dealer, mine was back to normal for 4 or 5 days too, but when I started the car today the problem was back. Makes me think that XM is still transmitting the file(s) that causes PCM rebooting, or transmitted it again.
That could very well be. I'm only driving it every few days and it stays in a garage (and potentially away from SXM signals) the rest of the time. I may just be lucking out to never get one (yet) delivered to the car.
Old 05-27-2020, 08:49 PM
SConn
Drifting

Received 976 Likes on 580 Posts

I've had mine out of commission for a while waiting for my new seatbelts. We're putting it back together tonight. I'll be interested to see if I have issues when I take it out.
Old 05-28-2020, 10:29 AM
VintageRacer477
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Reboot

I gave up on XM/Sirius years ago. They have hundreds of stations, but only a few we liked.

Since I use WAZE when driving, and iPhone is plugged in to keep charged, I tune in world-wide radio stations from the phone that play through the PCM. Why bother with the cost and a PITA like this reboot?
Old 05-28-2020, 12:17 PM
epper0705
2nd Gear

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks to this forum as I was looking at a 4 hour Memorial Day drive with the PCM going on and off. Ironically, at hour 4, I decided to play a podcast from my phone using the PCM and it reverted to rebooting. Anybody have a clue why that would happen? I have been emailing Porsche who will not extend the PCM warranty which is the least they should do. Very unimpressive response. Might be my last Porsche.
Old 05-28-2020, 02:16 PM
Southbranch
Pro

Received 232 Likes on 133 Posts

If it is of any help:

"Porsche is extending the new car warranty by a further three months for all
cars with a new car warranty expiring between 1 March 2020 and 31 May 2020. This
measure is free of charge for customers and is valid worldwide. The sports car manufacturer
is responding with this measure to the corona crisis which has greatly restricted
business at many Porsche Centers since March. This also applies to customers
who have already purchased a Porsche Approved warranty to follow on after expiry
of the new car warranty. If the Porsche Approved warranty starts within the time period
in question, it will also be extended by three months.

The new expiry date for the warranty will be calculated from the end of the current
period. If the new car warranty expires on 20 March 2020, for example, the extension
will apply for a further three months until 20 June 2020. A new car warranty which was
due to end on 15 May 2020 will be extended until 15 August 2020."

https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/2020...ths-20709.html
Old 05-28-2020, 02:16 PM
G8tor
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by epper0705
Thanks to this forum as I was looking at a 4 hour Memorial Day drive with the PCM going on and off. Ironically, at hour 4, I decided to play a podcast from my phone using the PCM and it reverted to rebooting. Anybody have a clue why that would happen? I have been emailing Porsche who will not extend the PCM warranty which is the least they should do. Very unimpressive response. Might be my last Porsche.
I wasn’t using SiriusXM when my issues started, I was listening to my jukebox. I didn’t address it right away because it started up at the end of a short trip.
The next day it kept doing it on both my jukebox and Sirius - I know I also tried my CD changer and It was rebooting too.
Anyhow my point being I didn’t have Sirius on when mine started acting up.

Now I have a new issue.
I’ve been trying to load WAV files and the artist and album data is not getting recognized; when you list the music there are say six track 5’s, all different artists and the artist/album is unknown.
Through testing I’ve found I don’t have the same issue with MP3 data, I did a mix of both file types from the same artist/album and it doesn’t see the WAV metadata.
I can see the WAV metadata on my PC and even tried ripping new WAV data directly from a CD to a thumb drive to no avail.
I’ve used WAV files before and it’s been hit or miss on some of the album artwork, but it’s not a big deal to me, I’ll take the better music (Burmeister Audio).
So I’m thinking of doing a second reset but don’t know if that’s going to work.
Anyone out there using WAV files and tried a reload after their reset?
(BTW- up-thread I stated I was using ACC but that was incorrect)
Old 05-28-2020, 02:29 PM
pfan
Pro

Received 80 Likes on 48 Posts

Just had the problem reoccur today as well.
Old 05-28-2020, 02:45 PM
shammerman
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by epper0705
@epper0705 Are you saying that you fixed it and it started to reboot again or that this has not yet been addressed at all?

Quick Reply: PCM Issue with recent iOS Update?