Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCM Issue with recent iOS Update?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2020 | 11:57 PM
Class5Kayaker
Pro

Originally Posted by rodsky
appreciate it. But I doubt it was hot. Was in my garage and cool out. I’ll try this later but am pessimistic. 😬
Has nothing to do with the ambient temp. It overheats due to it trying to load the corrupt XM file. Even with the car off, it keeps trying unless you pull the fuse (or at least lock the car maybe based on others inputs).
Old 05-31-2020 | 12:04 AM
Class5Kayaker
Pro

Originally Posted by jfischet
worst case, replacement units on ebay are in the $1200-1500 range)
When this first happened to me on the evening of 20 May I started researching replacement units (before the handover reset solution was known) since I'm out of warranty. Supposedly you can't just put a used one from another car into your car. For anti-theft reasons they are coded with the car's VIN and only the factory (or a really good hacker) has the ability to change the VIN that a PCM is coded with.

New units retail for $5k and could be found on sale for $4k at Suncoast before thousands of us started experiencing this.

I'd hope that with as wide-spread as this is and the fact we know it's not a "wear and tear" failure that PCNA would do the right thing and replace PCMs out of warranty if it comes down to that.
Old 05-31-2020 | 12:23 AM
SFOJAM
Instructor

Originally Posted by jfischet
the cpu in the unit could definitely be hot from rebooting over and over and the sooner you pull that fuse and let it cool down the better for the electronics in there.

(worst case, replacement units on ebay are in the $1200-1500 range)
There is a member on here called Jslo who has written about cloning the old school hard drive on the pcm and replacing it with a solid state drive.

I've not done so yet but will be doing so soon.
Old 05-31-2020 | 12:45 AM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Ok thanks guys. My unit actually reset this evening. After having reset it a week ago on Thursday night, it had been trouble free until today. When I tried to reset to factory, I messed up a step. My bad. Repeatedly 😀. So after getting home 6 hours later. I did it correctly and it’s Ok. It’s not (I don’t think a heat issue), I think it’s a repeat of the SiriusXM issue. I have read that others have had this issue re-occur. I disabled BT on my phone. And sent a new XM signal after my PCM was reset. Then paired my iPhone again. Working.

however, I will be calling my Porsche shop Monday to see WTF. At this point I f’in hate SiriusXM and will be canceling. I was barely seeing any value anyways. This put me over the edge. I stream AppleMusic and Pandora (without ads). So that seems to have me covered.

my car is still under warranty so at least I should be ok. But my 997 had a PCM issue in year 8. Out of warranty. Failed. I’m now wondering if Sirius caused that one too

Old 05-31-2020 | 10:07 AM
LexVan
Banned

Question for those that have done the reset:

Does the reset delete your stored navigation favorites, addresses and stuff like that?

Thank you.
Old 05-31-2020 | 10:53 AM
Dyim
Drifting

Originally Posted by LexVan

Does the reset delete your stored navigation favorites, addresses and stuff like that?

Thank you.
It should if you did the handover reset.
Old 05-31-2020 | 04:02 PM
shammerman
Rennlist Member

Thank you.
@LexVan - Yes it does.
Old 05-31-2020 | 04:27 PM
Southbranch
Pro

Thank you.
Yes, and it also deletes your radio presets and un-pairs your cellphone. And after doing this twice now, I can say it will angry up the blood too.
The following users liked this post:
rbrunings (05-31-2020)
Old 05-31-2020 | 04:47 PM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Pavegeno928
I have not driven my 2014 991.1 w/active SiriusXM subscription since before this issue started. Intentionally have not driven it until today after hearing of all of the problems. One hour drive. No issues. Navigation, Sat Radio, phone, etc all worked normally with no issues.

Car was locked and on a trickle charger the whole time.

Will drive again tomorrow.
Drove again today for over an hour with no issues. Looks like if you didn't have your car out when the update happened and didn't drive it for a few days, you should be ok.
Old 05-31-2020 | 05:24 PM
Brian E
Instructor

Originally Posted by Brian E
I haven't driven my late build 2016 GTS for a couple weeks, been parked in the garage on a tender. After reading this thread, when I took it out yesterday I fully expected to encounter this issue. Fortunately mine seems to not be affected. I only took it for a quick 15 minute drive, so hopefully it doesn't rear its head on the next outing. Also not sure if it makes a difference, but I never activated XM.
I had a chance to get mine out today for an extended amount of time and didn't have any issues. Must have gotten lucky with mine being tucked away when the signal was pushed through.
Old 05-31-2020 | 05:38 PM
SConn
Drifting

Originally Posted by Pavegeno928
Drove again today for over an hour with no issues. Looks like if you didn't have your car out when the update happened and didn't drive it for a few days, you should be ok.
I had a chance to get mine out today for an extended amount of time and didn't have any issues. Must have gotten lucky with mine being tucked away when the signal was pushed through.
That's exactly what I'm thinking too. Had my battery disconnected thru this while thing. Not one issue when I took it out. Hoping it continues!

*** went for a 40-45 mile drive today. No pcm reboot. I do think I missed the update when my battery was disconnected. I'm sorry you all are going thru this! I would be frustrated too!

Last edited by SConn; 05-31-2020 at 10:55 PM.
Old 05-31-2020 | 08:00 PM
LexVan
Banned

Originally Posted by Dyim
It should if you did the handover reset.
Originally Posted by shammerman
@LexVan - Yes it does.
Originally Posted by Southbranch
Yes, and it also deletes your radio presets and un-pairs your cellphone. And after doing this twice now, I can say it will angry up the blood too.
Thank you, Dyim, Shammermann, and Southbranch.

I hope I get this lucky, too. Rather be lucky than good. I'll know in a day or two when I finally get the car out for it's maiden voyage of 2020.
Old 06-01-2020 | 12:29 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

I had no problems doing the "handover" reset of the PCM per the dealers instructions.

First turn off Bluetooth on the phone before starting. After the PCM is reset, turn Bluetooth back on, find your phone and pair it. Contacts and recent calls and everything from the phone is restored. The Tuner shows only Channel 1, "demo" station, no others.

Then get the car outdoors or in range and have Sirius resend the subscription signal. I googled "reset Sirius" and found a web page with explicit instructions and a "send" button. Followed them and had service restored a couple min later. Success is indicated by having channel 2 on with demo sound- and at that point you have to go through the channel list and repopulate the Tuner with your stations.

Sounds complicated but not all that hard to get back to where it was before Sirius "fixed" something!

Note- if you are not a sat radio subscriber you never had this particular fun.

Old 06-01-2020 | 03:17 PM
XSRx
8th Gear

Originally Posted by XSRx
On a trip to Home Depot this afternoon (5/26/2020) my Macan's PCM cycled off and on - AGAIN. The Handover reset performed 4x on Friday (5/22/2020) held over the weekend. Today required 6 times of resetting PCM Handover before the cycling off/on stopped. The PCM is working for now. Has a definitive software upload problem resolution other than swallowing the PCM reset placebo been identified between Sirius and Porsche? If yes, it's still broken as of 16:30PST.

I've not driven my 911 to determine if the PCM reset performed on 5/22/2020 is holding; and, I'm not about to cycle the starter and take it for a drive to check on this nonsense.
Yesterday, 5/31/2020, my 2016 911 cycled off and on - AGAIN. It took 4 times of resetting PCM Handover before the cycling off/on stopped. The PCM is functioning for now. Apparently there is no fix. This is such BS. My wife has not mentioned if the 2016 Macan is cycling off and on. The first time resetting the 911's PCM was 5/22/2020.
Old 06-01-2020 | 05:51 PM
rjongco
Rennlist Member

Spoke too soon. Happened to me again during a 5 min drive to Walgreens. Had to do the handoff 2x before it seemed to work. Sat in the driveway for about 20 mins without it rebooting on its own. Theyve got to fix this.

Last edited by rjongco; 06-01-2020 at 06:10 PM.

Quick Reply: PCM Issue with recent iOS Update?