Sponsored by:

Heat Shield Recall

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2020, 12:10 PM
pfan
Pro

Received 79 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by wilsonaudio
I woke up this morning to take my 2014 C2 911 991 for heat shield recall. On my drive in the PCM started shutting off every 2 mins. Talked with the dealer when I arrived. Said it would need a new PCM to fix the problem if it wasn't just an easy software update. Just a coincidence? Dealership had another 991 in with the same issue.
Yours is the third or fourth occurrence within the past few days. Can these hard drives be coincidentally failing on their own, or could it possibly be due to a Sirius/XM software issue. (I haven't had my car in for any work lately, so in my case it isn't a possible dealer software reprogramming issue). Maybe we should open a new thread dealing with PCM failures.
Old 05-21-2020, 01:30 PM
shammerman
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 352 Posts

There is now a (new) PCM Issue thread - https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1195...os-update.html
The following users liked this post:
Class5Kayaker (05-21-2020)
Old 05-21-2020, 03:15 PM
Southbranch
Pro

Received 231 Likes on 132 Posts

My dealer just told me that Porsche attributes the PCM reboot loop problem to a change made by Sirius XM. The correction is some kind of PCM "reset", which they can execute for me in their driveway without an appointment. I do not have details yet, but apparently my settings/preferences will be lost during the process. They've had a rash of calls from customers about this.
Old 05-21-2020, 04:51 PM
sampelligrino
Rennlist Member

Received 465 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by Pavegeno928
Cool! What number is yours? I checked the VIN tool when I heard about the heat shield campaign and it returned "no open recalls." Guess the key is that it is not a recall, but a campaign which probably means, whenever you see the car in the dealership next, fix it. That's one of the reasons I go to the dealer. I have a good one here and they have never gouged me.
I have #672, but interestingly my dealer said my 50th is only eligible for the WLA4 Installed Heat Shield campaign. They didn't mention anything about "WLC8 Installed Tank Leakage Module" so I'll need to follow up
Old 05-22-2020, 04:25 AM
Schorsch
Racer

Received 134 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by sampelligrino
They didn't mention anything about "WLC8 Installed Tank Leakage Module" so I'll need to follow up
Do you have a US-Model 991? I think I can remember hearing that only US models have the Tank Leakage Modul due to emission regulations and the European models don't have the modul installed. Can anybody confirm this?
Old 05-22-2020, 08:29 AM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Received 477 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Schorsch
Do you have a US-Model 991? I think I can remember hearing that only US models have the Tank Leakage Modul due to emission regulations and the European models don't have the modul installed. Can anybody confirm this?
This is interesting. When I had my US spec 991.1 in Germany I had a check engine light shortly after I brought the car into the country which the Stuttgart dealer took three days to figure out. It was a sensor in the fuel tank they replaced for emissions. It took them a few days because the RoW cars didn't have this sensor so none of the mechanics had seen this before. Could be the same thing.
Old 05-22-2020, 11:40 PM
Bemo
Drifting

Received 263 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
OK, quick question. A few of you have already noted this Air Filter. What the heck filter is this, and why is it a $132 part at places like Sunset?:

https://www.sunsetporscheparts.com/o...er-00004321007

This does not sound like the simple inexpensive ($20-ish) accordion style pre-filter in the frunk, nor the active charcoal filter ($60-ish) in the cabin under the glove box. So what is it??
My SA confirmed that the recall required one of the air filters to be changed: https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/PK991AFK.html

Unfortunately, they didn't ask if I would like to pay to have the other one replaced.
For those about to get the work done and need new air filters, this is a great opportunity to pay for the part only and not the labor.
Old 05-23-2020, 02:40 PM
FlyJacket
AutoX

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

My SA confirmed the "workshop" issues but said the rear bumper does not need to be removed to replace the heat shield so there are no savings to be had on any other service work. Not sure I believe him after seeing all the pictures above. 2012 991.1S.
Old 05-23-2020, 04:34 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

For people saying you checked your VIN for recalls and found nothing, that's because these two items are service campaigns by Porsche and not recalls.

https://www.carfax.com/blog/tsb-vs-recall
shammerman (05-23-2020)
Old 05-23-2020, 05:00 PM
0luke1
Rennlist Member

Received 251 Likes on 162 Posts

Mine’s going in on Tuesday, they’re also going to replace the CRM 114 discriminator.
Old 05-23-2020, 06:59 PM
Southbranch
Pro

Received 231 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyJacket
My SA confirmed the "workshop" issues but said the rear bumper does not need to be removed to replace the heat shield so there are no savings to be had on any other service work. Not sure I believe him after seeing all the pictures above. 2012 991.1S.
I had the heat shield retrofit campaign done recently and was told that the taillights were removed for access, but not the rear bumper. However, my GTS has a ducktail spoiler that is easily removed, so it might be different than cars with the normal spoiler.
FlyJacket (05-24-2020)
Old 05-24-2020, 01:55 AM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,302 Likes on 887 Posts

Originally Posted by 0luke1
Mine’s going in on Tuesday, they’re also going to replace the CRM 114 discriminator.
I'd suggest having them swap out the AE-35 unit while they're in there. They all seem to fail eventually, might as well take advantage of the free labor.
Old 05-24-2020, 08:47 AM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Received 477 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by 0luke1
Be sure they enter the code "OPE" into the PIWIS or the CRM won't receive at all. Ask me how I know.
Old 06-10-2020, 01:02 PM
SConn
Drifting

Received 976 Likes on 580 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyJacket
Originally Posted by Southbranch
I had the heat shield retrofit campaign done recently and was told that the taillights were removed for access, but not the rear bumper. However, my GTS has a ducktail spoiler that is easily removed, so it might be different than cars with the normal spoiler.
Has anyone else had the heat shield recall done lately? I'm just wondering if anyone else's shop didn't have to remove the rear bumper to do it?
I just scheduled mine for July and was told the rear bumper needs to come off. I'd prefer it if that wasn't the case. Or maybe in the end it's better to prevent even more possible damage to the bumper?
Unfortunately the dealer threw in a "they are getting better at it." Ugh...
Old 06-10-2020, 01:13 PM
shammerman
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by C7toM2toGT4?
Has anyone else had the heat shield recall done lately? I'm just wondering if anyone else's shop didn't have to remove the rear bumper to do it?
I just scheduled mine for July and was told the rear bumper needs to come off. I'd prefer it if that wasn't the case. Or maybe in the end it's better to prevent even more possible damage to the bumper?
Unfortunately the dealer threw in a "they are getting better at it." Ugh...
Why do you worry about the rear bumper coming off? It has to come off for air filter changes as well so it's going to happen multiple times in the life of your car.

Quick Reply: Heat Shield Recall