Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heat Shield Recall

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2020, 07:19 PM
SConn
Drifting

Received 976 Likes on 580 Posts

Had my heat shield replaced and an oil change done (which I had brought my own Motul and they forgot to use it, even though I told them it was in the frunk! But that's another story.)
Everything seemed to go fine, until we were heading back to the dealer and we passed my car sitting at a gas station in front of a gas pump!
I was not amused. I asked when they started putting gas in cars, which of course they don't. Then they said the guy took it out to "reset the tires." Uh what?? After an oil change?? Then they said it was to check the oil. Ok, no dipstick.

Did all of yours get a "test drive" too? Just seeing if this is normal. I realize the engine needs to be a specific temp to make sure oil levels are good, but they didn't need to stop at a gas station to do that, right?
Old 07-09-2020, 07:38 PM
Explorer16
Instructor

Received 102 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by C7toM2toGT4?
Had my heat shield replaced and an oil change done (which I had brought my own Motul and they forgot to use it, even though I told them it was in the frunk! But that's another story.)
Everything seemed to go fine, until we were heading back to the dealer and we passed my car sitting at a gas station in front of a gas pump!
I was not amused. I asked when they started putting gas in cars, which of course they don't. Then they said the guy took it out to "reset the tires." Uh what?? After an oil change?? Then they said it was to check the oil. Ok, no dipstick.

Did all of yours get a "test drive" too? Just seeing if this is normal. I realize the engine needs to be a specific temp to make sure oil levels are good, but they didn't need to stop at a gas station to do that, right?
There should be a "odometer in" and "odometer out" on the service receipt. If you did not record the odometer reading before you handed them the car, it would be difficult to prove that somebody took the car for a joyride.
Old 07-09-2020, 07:38 PM
Dyim
Drifting

Received 1,044 Likes on 559 Posts

They do need to take a short drive to make sure oil level shows up after opening up the rear compartment.

Time to take a pic of your odometer before dropping the car off.
Old 07-09-2020, 07:46 PM
SConn
Drifting

Originally Posted by Dyim
They do need to take a short drive to make sure oil level shows up after opening up the rear compartment.

Time to take a pic of your odometer before dropping the car off.
And I was going to do exactly that but I totally spaced with with signing in, getting license/insurance for the loaner, etc.

I just want to verify that it is normal to take the car out. Seeing it sitting at a gas station, in front of a pump, was a bit disconcerting.
Old 07-09-2020, 07:48 PM
991.1 Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 930 Likes on 489 Posts

That's why you change your own oil. It's not worth the headaches. It was amazing how many chevy dealers couldn't do a simple oil change on a Z06.
The following 2 users liked this post by 991.1 Guy:
Class5Kayaker (07-16-2020), jimmiejam (11-02-2020)
Old 07-09-2020, 07:52 PM
SConn
Drifting

Originally Posted by 991.1 Guy
That's why you change your own oil. It's not worth the headaches. It was amazing how many chevy dealers couldn't do a simple oil change on a Z06.
Yes, and normally we would. But I figured I'd let them do it just to have something show up as a maintenance service. We did the 40k on it ourselves. Trust me... At $325 an oil change, it's a no brainer. Under normal circumstances, I would never take it in for a simple oil change. Especially since the nearest dealer is about 200 miles away in every direction.
Old 07-09-2020, 08:00 PM
Explorer16
Instructor

Received 102 Likes on 65 Posts

Yes, and normally we would. But I figured I'd let them do it just to have something show up as a maintenance service. We did the 40k on it ourselves. Trust me... At $325 an oil change, it's a no brainer. Under normal circumstances, I would never take it in for a simple oil change. Especially since the nearest dealer is about 200 miles away in every direction.
Did you go to sunset in beaverton?
Old 07-09-2020, 08:13 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,222 Likes on 739 Posts

I don't think taking car out for a short test run after service is unusual. I have a dashcam and have seen them go out on test runs. If they were putting in fuel or doing anything at the gas station though, NOW THAT WOULD BE UNUSUAL.
Old 07-09-2020, 08:29 PM
SConn
Drifting

Originally Posted by Explorer16
Did you go to sunset in beaverton?
No, but I took my car there last time for the airbag recall. I was super happy with them. I'll be going there next time most likely.
Old 07-09-2020, 08:31 PM
SConn
Drifting

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
I don't think taking car out for a short test run after service is unusual. I have a dashcam and have seen them go out on test runs. If they were putting in fuel or doing anything at the gas station though, NOW THAT WOULD BE UNUSUAL.
And that was my thought as well. Take it for a loop, check the oil back at the dealer. Why stop at a gas station. I dunno... Just didn't like it. Lol!
Old 07-10-2020, 01:56 AM
Schorsch
Racer

Received 134 Likes on 73 Posts

In Germany every Porsche dealer notes the odometer reading prior to check in on the service sheet. The reading even appears on the bill. I'm surprised service routines are so much different in the US.
Old 07-10-2020, 01:58 AM
Cristophosphorus
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Schorsch
In Germany every Porsche dealer notes the odometer reading prior to check in on the service sheet. The reading even appears on the bill. I'm surprised service routines are so much different in the US.
If only our US dealer service standards were as high as the ones used to build our wonderful machines.
Old 07-10-2020, 06:24 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,413 Likes on 2,516 Posts

Originally Posted by Schorsch
This is done here in the USA, too. That includes all the brands in my family (Porsche, Honda, Nissan, Ford, and Mercedes).
The following users liked this post:
shammerman (07-10-2020)
Old 07-10-2020, 09:05 AM
BOPE
Racer

Received 207 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
This is done here in the USA, too. That includes all the brands in my family (Porsche, Honda, Nissan, Ford, and Mercedes).
I agree. Anytime I've had my 991.2 at the delaer for warranty, they have recorded the mileage upon receiving the car. And it's recorded again upon my picking up the car.

Jason
Old 07-10-2020, 11:30 AM
koala
Three Wheelin'

Received 540 Likes on 316 Posts

Recording odometer in and out is probably universally standard. That doesn't mean that it's accurate, though. I've had plenty of service records show the same KM in and out.

I personally don't have a problem with someone driving my car, all I want is for the oil to be up to operating temperature before they hammer on it, and they best be rev matching their down shifts.

Quick Reply: Heat Shield Recall