Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2020, 09:06 PM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Received 1,275 Likes on 674 Posts

Originally Posted by M Engineering
No it will be in our protune.

--Mitch
Hey Mitch, if the fix is in the TCU, can i pay you to just Pro tune the TCU?

I want to replace my ECU with MoTeC. It’s more about Motorsport ABS, Motorsport traction control, Full flex fuel and being able to tune up graded Garrett G25-550 turbos.

I don’t care about Quarter mile or hp. Ki just want a fast track car that i can drive to and from the track.

can you help me out with this TCU issue?

If i have to pay for the full Pro tune, i can do that as well. But it will be yanked out with the ECU.

cheers .
Old 06-22-2020, 09:12 PM
Jeahbladejeah
Rennlist Member

Received 276 Likes on 121 Posts

You’re not wrong. But I’m still not convinced that writing the platform from scratch (in and of itself) provides enough of a competitive advantage to earn market share. There must be performance or reliability advantages, too. Even if only marginal.

I’m interested in how marginal those differences are. Which I thought was the point of this thread...?
Old 06-23-2020, 02:48 AM
M Engineering
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,587 Likes on 572 Posts

Originally Posted by 4 Point 0
Hey Mitch, if the fix is in the TCU, can i pay you to just Pro tune the TCU?

I want to replace my ECU with MoTeC. It’s more about Motorsport ABS, Motorsport traction control, Full flex fuel and being able to tune up graded Garrett G25-550 turbos.

I don’t care about Quarter mile or hp. Ki just want a fast track car that i can drive to and from the track.

can you help me out with this TCU issue?

If i have to pay for the full Pro tune, i can do that as well. But it will be yanked out with the ECU.

cheers .

I mean if you are going full Motec we can tune that as long as a package was created for it that works with no issues. Who is writing the firmware?

If you would rather chat over email let me know.

Mitch@M-Engineering.us

Thanks!

Mitch
The following users liked this post:
4 Point 0 (06-23-2020)
Old 06-23-2020, 06:52 AM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Received 1,275 Likes on 674 Posts

I mean if you are going full Motec we can tune that as long as a package was created for it that works with no issues. Who is writing the firmware?

If you would rather chat over email let me know.

Mitch@M-Engineering.us

Thanks!

Mitch
Calibrated Performance. Email sent.

MJ.
Old 06-23-2020, 01:33 PM
M Engineering
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Got it and will respond today!

Cheers!

Mitch
Old 06-23-2020, 01:44 PM
Rennlist Member

Received 318 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by PTS-BRG
“I think it follows, logically, that Mitch’s choice to implement a ground-up build on the 992 reinforces that there are material limitations of the Cobb AP.“

or another possibility is that he no longer works at COBB and went on his own to make a name for himself, more money and perhaps to do things differently than how a big company does things. Maybe those are also sufficient reasons to do a ground up under M engineering than to piggy back and make pennies pro tuning on someone else’s platform...but, what do I know?
I doubt it, I would imagine you get some sort of handheld device that is relatively cheap to make and then use your own custome maps/tunes. Something along the lines of softronic. I would think this would be the best route. Jeanbladejeah has a point, if they have been working on trying to get this fixed (years now, and Cobbs is to limit power/tq) it could be possible hardware limitations?
Old 06-23-2020, 01:46 PM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

Received 636 Likes on 347 Posts

What are you guys talking about with hardware limitations? Its a table in the ECU that needs to be modified to accommodate the higher torque. Has nothing to do with Cobb, Softronic or APR, it has to do with what table and who knows where it is. The hardware is not the limitation of the tune. The Cobb AP is nothing more than a mini computer..
Old 06-23-2020, 01:51 PM
M Engineering
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by 911.
I doubt it, I would imagine you get some sort of handheld device that is relatively cheap to make and then use your own custome maps/tunes. Something along the lines of softronic. I would think this would be the best route. Jeanbladejeah has a point, if they have been working on trying to get this fixed (years now, and Cobbs is to limit power/tq) it could be possible hardware limitations?

We would not use someone else's device. Since leaving COBB I have been working on making a totally innovative device with my business partner called the DS1 with my other company Dyno Spectrum.

https://www.dynospectrum.com/product-page/ds1

This was a clean sheet build and still has features that no one else to this day has on any platform outside of full stand alones. This also works with your phone, computer and even smart watch.

As I have said we have not been working on 991.2 and just started back at looking at them within then past couple weeks. We make all of our own tools now and don't use others as we are capable to build it all ourselves from the tools to flash, to calibrations etc. For 991.2 we will use the AP as there is no sense in making something else as it works well, just needs to get some things updated and calibrations sorted.

Anyways the 992 stuff is different, and in the 991.2 we can make it work with the AP. So for now lets focus on that and for the 992 it is a totally different project and avenue. You can follow our progress on that in our other thread in the 992 section https://rennlist.com/forums/992/1200...gineering.html

Cheers guys,

Mitch

Last edited by M Engineering; 06-23-2020 at 02:08 PM.
Old 06-23-2020, 01:54 PM
Ksdaoski
Rennlist Member

Received 1,864 Likes on 924 Posts

I was goin to say, who needs a device? We each have one in our pockets or on our desk. Great to see that execution.
Old 06-23-2020, 02:16 PM
Rennlist Member

Received 318 Likes on 158 Posts

What are you guys talking about with hardware limitations? Its a table in the ECU that needs to be modified to accommodate the higher torque. Has nothing to do with Cobb, Softronic or APR, it has to do with what table and who knows where it is. The hardware is not the limitation of the tune. The Cobb AP is nothing more than a mini computer..
Its just people tossing out their input, I mean it still hasnt been fixed... I just read thru 20+ comments about it being worked on so I am all for getting it all sorted and if it was a simple table that needed adjusted, why hasnt it been?

We would not use someone else's device. Since leaving COBB I have been working on making a totally innovative device with my business partner called the DS1 with my other company Dyno Spectrum.

https://www.dynospectrum.com/product-page/ds1

This was a clean sheet build and still has features that no one else to this day has on any platform outside of full stand alones. This also works with your phone, computer and even smart watch.

As I have said we have not been working on 991.2 and just started back at looking at them within then past couple weeks. We make all of our own tools now and don't use others as we are capable to build it all ourselves from the tools to flash, to calibrations etc. For 991.2 we will use the AP as there is no sense in making something else as it works well, just needs to get some things updated and calibrations sorted.

Anyways the 992 stuff is different, and in the 991.2 we can make it work with the AP. So for now lets focus on that and for the 992 it is a totally different project and avenue. You can follow our progress on that in our other thread in the 992 section https://rennlist.com/forums/992/1200...gineering.html

Cheers guys,

Mitch
Thanks for the explanation Mitch! I figured the .2 platform has plenty of hardware and wouldnt make sense to create something new but its great to know you have the capabilities of making something in house. Will follow the 992 section. That is the kinda stuff I enjoy going thru. I am used to the BMW world where people are changing on the fly via their phones!
Old 06-23-2020, 02:26 PM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

Received 636 Likes on 347 Posts

911. From the way it has been explained to me.. there are thousands of tables in the ECU. The main ones everyone knows about, but there are many many hundreds of tables that no one ever bothers with because they are not directly related to the tune. Well, there seems to be at least one table (or multiple) that pertain to the max allowable hp/tq that the ECU will accept. If you exceed what that table deems is acceptable then it retards the performance to protect the engine. It could also be related to the throttle blade, but that is part of the ECU limitation issue. Since this is a relatively new problem and not a common one, it didn't get too much attention. Now that people are pushing the envelope it is become more prevalent and the major tuners are on top of it. I never said it was simple. I dont think turning up the boost is simple, but for the guys that tune it is. They just need to figure out whats happening and make the adjustment. Problem is that nobody shares info. APR isnt going to help Cobb (for example) so they all need to figure it out on their own.

APR says they got it figured out. If Mitch figures it out, it may be a completely different approach to solving it than APR's way. And when you tweak one table it has an effect on other tables so, it isnt "simple" but its certainly possible.
Old 06-23-2020, 02:28 PM
Jeahbladejeah
Rennlist Member

Received 276 Likes on 121 Posts

We have started back into 991.2 with the AP, have overcome this issue just need the last bits verified just waiting on logs. And yes we are doing 992 but this will be our own software and device and not the AP for that one.

Till then we will make the 991.2's work with the AP. Also to the comment about COBB tricking sensors that is kind of silly. They are reading actually RAM values. 90% of the monitors are actual and are not being manipulated if that is what you are inferring.
90% isn't 100%.
Old 06-23-2020, 04:46 PM
M Engineering
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Jeahbladejeah
90% isn't 100%.
The monitors are all correct, I guess I should clarify. If a table gets tuned in an in correct way it can have an effect on the output of the monitor if it comes out of a table for example.

-Mitch
Old 06-24-2020, 10:41 AM
Nabil_3.0
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

@PTS-BRG Hey bud just want to update every one again this time the delay is me as the weather is total crap here in SFL Mitch did send me a file well over a week ago so i apologize for not getting it done sooner. Also i have about 10 gallons of the good E85 in my garage. i will be using it this week if you know what i mean ; ) (ignite RED)

Also Mitch is the man ( i'm not his partner lol ) but he has been supper helpful with my car and several cars that i know of.
Old 06-24-2020, 10:58 AM
B Russ
Rennlist Member

Received 857 Likes on 561 Posts

The purpose of "tuning" my car was to allow it to access some of its hidden potential. I have no intent on trying to push the design to its limits as most of us here have Zero place to run these cars at that level safely or legally. There is always going to be people that have to keep pushing the limits and they are the ones dealing with PDK issues and unnecessary drive-ability quirks . I know I can speak for the masses when I say Many of us just want a little extra and dont want to be on the edge of engine replacement or PDK swaps. More pull with the same reliability, thats the win Im looking for.
The following 2 users liked this post by B Russ:
GT3FZS (06-24-2020), Trapperj (06-25-2020)

Quick Reply: 991.2 Cobb Accessport, post your results