Old 06-22-2020, 12:59 PM
M Engineering
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,523 Likes on 549 Posts
Default 992 ECU Tuning Development Thread from M-Engineering

Hey Guys,

Just wanted to post up what we have been working on a bit and also post some more technical information as we go along with this so you all can follow along. We have been doing development like this for many years as we did engineering for a large tuning company on the Porsche platform that many may know of.

This weekend we got our 992 C2S on our dyno and started to get some baseline data. Typically when we do development like this we spend a couple days going through stock data and power numbers to see what the factory calibration does not with just 3 pulls but a lot of hot pulls back to back, cooler pulls, better cooling, less cooling to get a feel for how the car responds. During all of the runs we collect a bunch of data that is beyond the scope of what normal loggers would pull like specific parameters that are used in sub functions in code to dictate how the car implements things like boost, timing, fuel etc. This is helpful as with out this you don't really know what the car is doing and are more or less flying blind.

So I will start the thread with pics of the car on the dyno. We will upload more data later today or tomorrow. Lots of interesting things learned during this process that we can't wait to share with you all! Lots more stuff to come on the 992 for custom features and calibrations. This is all done at World Motorsports wind tunnel dyno which is one of the most advanced dyno facilities in the US, so the data that we gather is very accurate.

So stay tuned for all the cool stuff to come!

The following users liked this post:
GermanInOhio (06-22-2020)
Old 06-22-2020, 04:17 PM
speedyj
Rennlist Member

Received 283 Likes on 170 Posts

can u share the specs of those te37s- sizing and offset

also im looking forwardsto tuning developments!
Old 06-22-2020, 04:35 PM
ant922599
Instructor

Received 108 Likes on 57 Posts

I'm in the UK so not a viable customer, but watching the thread with interest nevertheless!
Old 06-22-2020, 06:13 PM
M Engineering
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by speedyj
can u share the specs of those te37s- sizing and offset

also im looking forwardsto tuning developments!
Let me look them up and see!

-Mitch
Old 06-22-2020, 06:19 PM
AKSteve
Banned

Received 815 Likes on 456 Posts

What's it showing for stock horsepower?
The following 2 users liked this post by AKSteve:
997usa (06-22-2020), thomastedder (03-03-2022)
Old 06-22-2020, 06:56 PM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

Received 1,456 Likes on 800 Posts

Those JDM style wheels look fantastic on the 992. The fronts are a little too heavily tucked imo, but they look great.
Old 06-22-2020, 06:57 PM
992Sam
Three Wheelin'

Received 825 Likes on 458 Posts

Is there such a thing as a turn-key ECU tune that can be turned on and off with the press of a button? I like the idea of having an ECU tune in my back pocket, but not being married to it.
porscheprestige (08-29-2022)
Old 06-22-2020, 07:03 PM
AKSteve
Banned

Received 815 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by 992Sam
Is there such a thing as a turn-key ECU tune that can be turned on and off with the press of a button? I like the idea of having an ECU tune in my back pocket, but not being married to it.
Whenever COBB releases their 992 tune, it will be able to be installed and uninstalled with their AccessPort device after connecting it to the OBD socket in the fusebox. Once it's installed, you can quickly change between different performance tunes as well as just running the stock tune. I think JB4 has a piggyback kit available too. It connects to various sensors in the engine and tricks the stock engine software into putting out more boost. There's an optional bluetooth connection for that setup which will allow you to select between the different performance maps using an app on your iPhone. Map 0 is stock.
992Sam (06-22-2020)
Old 06-23-2020, 12:22 PM
M Engineering
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by AKSteve
Whenever COBB releases their 992 tune, it will be able to be installed and uninstalled with their AccessPort device after connecting it to the OBD socket in the fusebox. Once it's installed, you can quickly change between different performance tunes as well as just running the stock tune. I think JB4 has a piggyback kit available too. It connects to various sensors in the engine and tricks the stock engine software into putting out more boost. There's an optional bluetooth connection for that setup which will allow you to select between the different performance maps using an app on your iPhone. Map 0 is stock.

Our tuning package will be similar in that you can map switch with a computer for different octane levels, as well we are adding map switching so that you can change the whole calibration without ever even touching your phone and can do it on the fly. It will also have a couple other neat features that we have planned

Car made about 400whp and the same in torque. Going to put it back on the dyno today to start the tuning process! Stay tuned!

Thanks!

Mitch
Old 06-23-2020, 01:36 PM
992Sam
Three Wheelin'

Received 825 Likes on 458 Posts

Totally dumb question maybe but since you guys clearly can't do too much R&D on the wear and tare this does to the engine.. do you offer any sort of warranty, should there be a failure and Porsche denies the claim due to your ECU flash? Or is one basically SOL should the engine have a catastrophic failure?
Old 06-23-2020, 01:39 PM
smiles11
Drifting

Received 3,378 Likes on 1,479 Posts

Pay to play as they say.
Old 06-23-2020, 01:39 PM
M Engineering
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by 992Sam
Totally dumb question maybe but since you guys clearly can't do too much R&D on the wear and tare this does to the engine.. do you offer any sort of warranty, should there be a failure and Porsche denies the claim due to your ECU flash? Or is one basically SOL should the engine have a catastrophic failure?
Not a dumb question at all. We don't offer a warranty as it is almost impossible for a company to do that as it is hard to distinguish if something fails from a tune or just a simple mechanical failure. But what we do have when we release is fast datalogging so we can check out to make sure the engine is healthy and make sure out calibrations are as safe as possibly can be.

We will post up data in this thread and it will be easier to see the difference between us and others.

Cheers!

Mitch
992Sam (06-23-2020)
Old 06-23-2020, 01:50 PM
SamboTT@ByDesign
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 965 Likes on 587 Posts

Pretty awesome guys. Can’t wait to see where we can go with these cars and what you come up with now.

Proud TOP Porsche Distributor For:

Kline-Innovation - ams Performance - TiALSPORT/XONA - #1 COBB PRO TUNER - CSF - IPD Plenums - DO88 - dodsonmotorsport

310-600-1850 - sam@bydesignauto.com
Old 06-23-2020, 01:53 PM
M Engineering
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by SamboTT@ByDesign
Pretty awesome guys. Can’t wait to see where we can go with these cars and what you come up with now.

Thanks dude! I am excited to see what you can do with them!

-Mitch
Old 06-23-2020, 03:47 PM
doug992
Racer

Received 209 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by AKSteve
stock file and stock map are 2 very different things. I went through this in the Audi world. APR allowed people to go to stock map and they were still getting flagged TD1 .. basically a stock map means that its telling the car to run with the boost it came with stock, however the ECU still shows signs of being modified .. stock file means you flash the ECU back to the file the car came with. I had this with EPL and i would flash before every service and i was never flagged TD1... its important to understand if you are getting a stock map or a stock file. If you feel you are getting a stock map and still want to do it then you need to become very good friends with your service advisor to not plug the car in for diagnostics. Audi had a policy no matter what the car came in for whether it needed diagnostics or not it would get plugged in at the Service check in. Once that computer noticed something off it would flag you TD1 automatically. TD1 Flag means potential power train warranty voided.
The following 2 users liked this post by doug992:
992Sam (06-23-2020), G650 (06-30-2020)

Quick Reply: 992 ECU Tuning Development Thread from M-Engineering