Sponsored by:

991.2 Cobb Accessport, post your results

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2020, 01:16 AM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Received 1,275 Likes on 674 Posts

Originally Posted by M Engineering
Working on this now. We are close with Nabils car.

Will send a file to him today and we will keep testing it till we sort it out, and then we will update anyone else that we have tuned if they have the issue.

Mitch
Hey Mitch,

The GT2-RS has 700hp, and no issues with PDK. Why doesn’t someone just copy the 2-RS TCU tune?

My M4 was updated with all the M4 GTS software and made a hell of a difference.

I don’t understand why someone isn’t copying the GT2-RS PDK tune. Its all the same PDK box, just different software.

cheers. P.S. APR can beat their chest all they want claiming over 600rwhp. But theybare nothing but dyno Queens. Show me one ten second quater mile time from the drag strip and i shall believe 500rwhp. My car only makes 500rwhp and i do 10.8 at the strip.

If the TCU is seperate to the ECU on our cars, can we replace our TCU with a GT2-RS TCU?

Or if its on the ECU can we replace the whole ECU with a GT2-RS one? 🤣

Old 06-17-2020, 02:04 AM
fsmich
Rennlist Member

Received 163 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by 4 Point 0
Hey Mitch,

The GT2-RS has 700hp, and no issues with PDK. Why doesn’t someone just copy the 2-RS TCU tune?

My M4 was updated with all the M4 GTS software and made a hell of a difference.

I don’t understand why someone isn’t copying the GT2-RS PDK tune. Its all the same PDK box, just different software.

cheers. P.S. APR can beat their chest all they want claiming over 600rwhp. But theybare nothing but dyno Queens. Show me one ten second quater mile time from the drag strip and i shall believe 500rwhp. My car only makes 500rwhp and i do 10.8 at the strip.

If the TCU is seperate to the ECU on our cars, can we replace our TCU with a GT2-RS TCU?

Or if its on the ECU can we replace the whole ECU with a GT2-RS one? 🤣
GT2RS's do 10.3/140
Are you still pulling on your buddies GT2RS?
Old 06-17-2020, 02:07 AM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Received 1,275 Likes on 674 Posts

Originally Posted by fsmich
GT2RS's do 10.3/140
Are you still pulling on your buddies GT2RS?
Yes, from a roll. Not from a dig. 1/4 is from a standstill. Roll racing is from 40km’s/hr.

Usually 40 - 150. The GTS jumps and the 2-RS can’t run it down. If the race was twice as long, it would blow right by. But thats the point. Its not twice as long.
Old 06-17-2020, 09:16 AM
Nabil_3.0
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi all Sorry for the late reply i've been swamped with work. To answer some question about my car,

MODS: Soul Catless Pipes, BMC air filter and the Pro tune. all my runs have been on the street no track times yet although we are planing to go to track soon. Mitch is still tuning away at my car last file we managed a 7.5 60-130. he then tweaked the car and the dreaded gear hang showed up again we are planing on tuning again this week when i can get some logs for him. i think i'm going to pull the trigger on meth to run with the MS109 of just convert to E-85 all together ( Mitch would be the one tuning it on E85).

@4 Point 0 I asked Mitch about the GT2RS TCU last week he is doing research to see if it would work.
@PTS-BRG I also Asked Mitch if he was willing to start from scratch a develop a tuning software similar to what he is doing for Mclarens so we are all not so dependent on Cobb and he will consider it if the demand is there was enough demand, should we start a Poll here se who would actually be interested i already have 10 Cars by me that have signed up for this who in here would be interested? In theory we could get all the cool features like map switching and rolling antilag.....
Old 06-17-2020, 09:45 AM
Aatish
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Nabil_3.0
Hi all Sorry for the late reply i've been swamped with work. To answer some question about my car,

MODS: Soul Catless Pipes, BMC air filter and the Pro tune. all my runs have been on the street no track times yet although we are planing to go to track soon. Mitch is still tuning away at my car last file we managed a 7.5 60-130. he then tweaked the car and the dreaded gear hang showed up again we are planing on tuning again this week when i can get some logs for him. i think i'm going to pull the trigger on meth to run with the MS109 of just convert to E-85 all together ( Mitch would be the one tuning it on E85).

@4 Point 0 I asked Mitch about the GT2RS TCU last week he is doing research to see if it would work.
@PTS-BRG I also Asked Mitch if he was willing to start from scratch a develop a tuning software similar to what he is doing for Mclarens so we are all not so dependent on Cobb and he will consider it if the demand is there was enough demand, should we start a Poll here se who would actually be interested i already have 10 Cars by me that have signed up for this who in here would be interested? In theory we could get all the cool features like map switching and rolling antilag.....
+1 on the new platform!
Old 06-17-2020, 09:59 AM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

Received 636 Likes on 347 Posts

Nabil: What you are asking Mitch to do is what he has already done. Mitch was the lead Porsche guy at Cobb for YEARS before he left to go on his own. Mitch is the one who designed and developed the software for our platform. He DID design it from scratch. In fact, I think I was one of the very first 991.2 GTS tunes Cobb ever did. I was one of the guys who had to remove the ECU and Fedex it to them to crack before they figured out how to to it via OBD. I sat there for 4 hours in a shop in NJ watching Mitch personally fly in from Texas to tune my car. So, to say that he would be willing to start from scratch if the demand was there is interesting because he is the very person who started the Cobb tuning for 991.2's from scratch, so I dont know how the same person would do it differently.

What is troubling to me is that Mitch is widely known to be one of the best tuners around, if not the best. He has known of this issue for 2 years. He wasnt able to correct it before he left Cobb. He wasnt able to correct it while he was putting together his M Engineering company and still working remotely for Cobb. And here we are 2 years later and he is fully operational in his own shop and still unable to figure It out. He has had my files for two years and notwithstanding what you are now providing him, he has had dozens of AP logs, Dragy logs, Dyno charts, actual video of it occurring, etc.. So he knows exactly what the issue is and still can't solve it,

This has been going on for years now. First it was believed to be the PDK, but that theory went out the window as the same PDK is used in GT2RS and Turbo S which produce even more torque and HP. Not the clutch plates slipping to clutch pressure. No PDK relearn is going to fix it or PDK tune. Then they thought it was the throttle blade opening too fast or slow causing it. Then it was the ECU tables limiting the tq/hp. No one seems to know WTF the real problem is, so everyone just turns down the boost and neuters the tune to solve the problem.

PS: Mitch has had the ability along with Cobb to do on the fly MAP changes using the steering wheel **** for nearly a year now, Nothing new here..
Old 06-17-2020, 10:51 AM
fsmich
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 4 Point 0
Yes, from a roll. Not from a dig. 1/4 is from a standstill. Roll racing is from 40km’s/hr.

Usually 40 - 150. The GTS jumps and the 2-RS can’t run it down. If the race was twice as long, it would blow right by. But thats the point. Its not twice as long.
Oh, Aussie rules. Had to google it. So 25mph - 90ish.
I was thinking a road course straight away pull, maybe 60 -150....mph. And I would have been telling the 2RS his car is broke or out of water
Old 06-17-2020, 12:18 PM
M Engineering
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,587 Likes on 572 Posts

Originally Posted by PTS-BRG
Nabil: What you are asking Mitch to do is what he has already done. Mitch was the lead Porsche guy at Cobb for YEARS before he left to go on his own. Mitch is the one who designed and developed the software for our platform. He DID design it from scratch. In fact, I think I was one of the very first 991.2 GTS tunes Cobb ever did. I was one of the guys who had to remove the ECU and Fedex it to them to crack before they figured out how to to it via OBD. I sat there for 4 hours in a shop in NJ watching Mitch personally fly in from Texas to tune my car. So, to say that he would be willing to start from scratch if the demand was there is interesting because he is the very person who started the Cobb tuning for 991.2's from scratch, so I dont know how the same person would do it differently.

What is troubling to me is that Mitch is widely known to be one of the best tuners around, if not the best. He has known of this issue for 2 years. He wasnt able to correct it before he left Cobb. He wasnt able to correct it while he was putting together his M Engineering company and still working remotely for Cobb. And here we are 2 years later and he is fully operational in his own shop and still unable to figure It out. He has had my files for two years and notwithstanding what you are now providing him, he has had dozens of AP logs, Dragy logs, Dyno charts, actual video of it occurring, etc.. So he knows exactly what the issue is and still can't solve it,

This has been going on for years now. First it was believed to be the PDK, but that theory went out the window as the same PDK is used in GT2RS and Turbo S which produce even more torque and HP. Not the clutch plates slipping to clutch pressure. No PDK relearn is going to fix it or PDK tune. Then they thought it was the throttle blade opening too fast or slow causing it. Then it was the ECU tables limiting the tq/hp. No one seems to know WTF the real problem is, so everyone just turns down the boost and neuters the tune to solve the problem.

PS: Mitch has had the ability along with Cobb to do on the fly MAP changes using the steering wheel **** for nearly a year now, Nothing new here..
This is not accurate. I made the 991.2 software to start in a 2 week time span at COBB including reverse engineering and calibration for 9 cars, all in California working 18 hour days. I then made the decision to leave COBB. When I left I didn't touch 991.2 tuning for various reasons, some were decently serious to the point where I had to stay clear of it. It's not like I left and kept doing 991.2 stuff, as we are heavily focused on McLaren as well as the DS1 device for the 4.0L Audi with Dyno Spectrum. I didn't leave and work remotely for COBB at any time.

Now we have started back doing more protuning with the AP and looking back at this issue, and for the most part have it all solved. We know what causes it, how to fix it. We are incrementally fixing it in Nabils car but this is the first car that we have sat down and really worked on it. I would imagine by the end of this week the car should be in the low 7's 60-130 and shifting as it should. Nabil has been great for giving feedback.

As for map switching, he is talking about full map switching for different fuels and all sorts of other things like we do on the McLaren.

Hope that helps to clear up the misinformation about me and M-Engineering, and why this was not touched till now on our end.

-Mitch McKee
The following 2 users liked this post by M Engineering:
Aatish (06-17-2020), fsmich (06-17-2020)
Old 06-17-2020, 12:38 PM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

Received 636 Likes on 347 Posts

Mitch not to throw anyone under the bus, but Jared specifically told me that when you left Cobb that you were still working remotely for the company. I have the emails to prove it, but wont repost them publicly.
If you have the fix can you please reach out to me and update my tune? You made it so it is locked to you as the tuner. THX
Old 06-17-2020, 12:51 PM
M Engineering
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,587 Likes on 572 Posts

Originally Posted by PTS-BRG
Mitch not to throw anyone under the bus, but Jared specifically told me that when you left Cobb that you were still working remotely for the company. I have the emails to prove it, but wont repost them publicly.
If you have the fix can you please reach out to me and update my tune? You made it so it is locked to you as the tuner. THX
Jared is actually here in California visiting me and the wife, but we did not work remotely. Before we left we had moved and had an overlap of a couple weeks where we were still employed by COBB, but after we left we did not do anything for COBB.

Once Nabil is all sorted I would be happy to get you updated.

Cheers,
Mitch
Old 06-17-2020, 01:09 PM
Aatish
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 56 Posts

If M Engineering is still taking requests for Pro-Tunes, I'd definitely purchase a map for some tweaking.
Old 06-17-2020, 02:05 PM
polobai
Drifting

Received 1,125 Likes on 670 Posts

In for results on methanol if you decide to go that route. I am seriously considering this as well...it has worked really well for turbo cars I have had in the past...curious as to why more people are not exploring this on the 991.2 platform?
Old 06-17-2020, 02:42 PM
Nabil_3.0
Intermediate

Guys I'm new to the porsche world but not new to tuning i've had several cars that where much faster than my porsche Tuned by different tuners plus i met Mitch like 2 months ago so its not like i'm blowing smoke in his defense. all i will say is he is amazing to work with, i've offered 10X to pay him for all the time he is spending on my car and he will not accept a penny.
As you all know his time is money and he has easily put 50 plus hours into my car already, he is a solid guy to work with and i believe he has this figured out. the delay on this one has been me the weather in South Florida has been total crap the last week with heavy rains where i can test the latest file he sent me. I think we should cut him a break if he figures this out we will all be much happier knowing with almost no mods the cars will go low 7s. Also once he accepts any type of payment you can all be assured we will give it a go on E85 the MS109 thing is awesome but ive been spending an extra 200 dollars a week just to get the car tested LOL!!!!!!!

I'm still going to pester him into giving us some of that mclaren magic i want to be able to shoot 5 foot flames from my car too LOL!!!!
Old 06-17-2020, 03:31 PM
fsmich
Rennlist Member

Guys I'm new to the porsche world but not new to tuning i've had several cars that where much faster than my porsche Tuned by different tuners plus i met Mitch like 2 months ago so its not like i'm blowing smoke in his defense. all i will say is he is amazing to work with, i've offered 10X to pay him for all the time he is spending on my car and he will not accept a penny.
As you all know his time is money and he has easily put 50 plus hours into my car already, he is a solid guy to work with and i believe he has this figured out. the delay on this one has been me the weather in South Florida has been total crap the last week with heavy rains where i can test the latest file he sent me. I think we should cut him a break if he figures this out we will all be much happier knowing with almost no mods the cars will go low 7s. Also once he accepts any type of payment you can all be assured we will give it a go on E85 the MS109 thing is awesome but ive been spending an extra 200 dollars a week just to get the car tested LOL!!!!!!!

I'm still going to pester him into giving us some of that mclaren magic i want to be able to shoot 5 foot flames from my car too LOL!!!!
How are the launches going? I was working with Mitch in dialing down the boost towards 0 for a launch, but never got it nailed down. I think a better solution might be 4000rpm instead of 6. Please pester him for me Fritz
Old 06-17-2020, 03:35 PM
Nabil_3.0
Intermediate

Originally Posted by fsmich
How are the launches going? I was working with Mitch in dialing down the boost towards 0 for a launch, but never got it nailed down. I think a better solution might be 4000rpm instead of 6. Please pester him for me Fritz
1st gear is useless for me but i think Toyos 888 should fix that.

@M Engineering Mitch is this also something you can do at a later time? sounds like a good trick

Quick Reply: 991.2 Cobb Accessport, post your results