Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.2 Cobb Accessport, post your results

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2020, 10:49 PM
B Russ
Rennlist Member

Received 803 Likes on 538 Posts

Rob I have a 2017 4s with PSE and soul cats. I loaded the Cobb ots files with the access port loader.
Old 03-14-2020, 11:12 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,434 Likes on 2,348 Posts

I have loaded a lot of Cobb tunes on this and past cars and never used a battery charger, and the car always started right away thereafter. It only takes 20-25 minutes and it is not like you are listening to the radio with your lights on!
Old 03-14-2020, 11:16 PM
Robdokwon
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks Gents. Will load it up when it arrives and report back. Prob start with Stage 1 93 OTS. Stay healthy All!
Old 03-14-2020, 11:39 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Robdokwon
Thanks Gents. Will load it up when it arrives and report back. Prob start with Stage 1 93 OTS. Stay healthy All!
I had the car out tonight and had some spirited driving (as usual) and I am fine with the Stage 1 93 tune. In the back of my mind I am curious as to how it would behave with the Stage 2 tune; however, no need to stress the engine any more than is needed so I think I will leave it as is, especially if the Stage 2 results in non-linear performance at times. The Stage 1 is exactly how I would expect the GTS to behave from the factory.
The following users liked this post:
wbrownie (03-15-2020)
Old 03-15-2020, 08:11 AM
Porschex3
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
I had the car out tonight and had some spirited driving (as usual) and I am fine with the Stage 1 93 tune. In the back of my mind I am curious as to how it would behave with the Stage 2 tune; however, no need to stress the engine any more than is needed so I think I will leave it as is, especially if the Stage 2 results in non-linear performance at times. The Stage 1 is exactly how I would expect the GTS to behave from the factory.
Same response from me. I'm curious about Stage 2, but Stage 1 is a lot of fun and very solid in how it performs. On my C2, it was a huge step up from stock.
Old 03-15-2020, 11:08 AM
B Russ
Rennlist Member

Dont leave me hangin Bob, Thought we were in this together
Old 03-15-2020, 11:12 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by B Russ
Dont leave me hangin Bob, Thought we were in this together
Ha! I am curious to see how Stage 2 will perform but I really like Stage 1...I had some fun last night and never once did I feel that I needed anymore power/torque.
Old 03-15-2020, 11:55 AM
B Russ
Rennlist Member

So load stage 2 run it for a week and get back to me. That won't Stress out ther car too much lol. You can go back to 1 in 20 minutes as you know. Unfortunately I'm 1400 miles away from mine atm and will be till later this week. Waiting for my Panamera to be ready before I go back. I have quite the story to share about that
Old 03-15-2020, 10:04 PM
Robdokwon
Rennlist Member

Porschex3 - what year is your C2?

All, not to go way off topic but I have to share this amusing quick tale from today: Hanging around with neighbors and their kids in the street today and I had my vinyl disposable gloves still on and one of the kids' mom asks "you that worried about Coronavirus?" to which I replied "no, I was painting the inside windows in my garage." She gave a puzzled look and then said in a pointed way, in front of all, "huh? who paints the inside of their garage windows??" I was ready for that - I said "I'm a car-guy, the garage is my man-cave." She had this look on her face like when the light bulb bursts over Beavis and Butthead's heads. Priceless. This is how you know when you're a true car nut. Ride out the social distancing quarantine working on the best room of the house, the one that holds your Porsche 911.
The following 6 users liked this post by Robdokwon:
Aatish (03-16-2020), LargePuppy (03-15-2020), NightBlueTTS (03-15-2020), Omega4 (03-16-2020), The Ox (03-16-2020), Trapperj (03-16-2020) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-16-2020, 05:24 PM
Porschex3
Advanced

Porschex3 - what year is your C2?
2017 991.2.
Old 03-16-2020, 07:17 PM
Robdokwon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Porschex3
2017 991.2.
Roger that - we have the same car. PDK? Tell me about the download process and how that went down.

1) did the car have to "learn" the stage 1 map as in it took time to get faster and faster, or was it a big gain right from day 1?

2) whats the new power like? Does it leave you wanting for more or are you stoked with the results felt underfoot. I don't give a **** about charts graphs curves and times. I care about what happens to my body in the seat and how that feels. You know, like a massage! lol. What I'm hoping for is that it feels like a $12,000 more expensive S model for only $1700. What my wife would call...a killer value, like two boxes of Tide pods for the price of one.
The following users liked this post:
Trapperj (03-17-2020)
Old 03-17-2020, 07:30 PM
Porschex3
Advanced

Roger that - we have the same car. PDK? Tell me about the download process and how that went down.

1) did the car have to "learn" the stage 1 map as in it took time to get faster and faster, or was it a big gain right from day 1?

2) whats the new power like? Does it leave you wanting for more or are you stoked with the results felt underfoot. I don't give a **** about charts graphs curves and times. I care about what happens to my body in the seat and how that feels. You know, like a massage! lol. What I'm hoping for is that it feels like a $12,000 more expensive S model for only $1700. What my wife would call...a killer value, like two boxes of Tide pods for the price of one.
Yes, mine is PDK as well. It may have smoothed out after the tune, but the power was instantly noticeable. Basically, the tune allows the turbos to spool up to 18PSI instead of 12-13PSI. This is a significant upgrade. I posted some charts in an earlier post, but this just about on par with a stock GTS. At this point in time, it puts a smile on my face every time I drive it. One thing is that it looses traction on acceleration easily, so you feel the slight spin and traction control a bit more. After the tune, I took my wife out for a drive without telling her and she noticed the difference right away. All of that being said, I was having some turbo issues before the tune (broken hose), so I wasn’t getting full PSI at stock (only 10-11). So, my increase was a bit more than you would get from stock to tune. I’m happy with it and likely won’t be looking for it to go any faster any time soon.
Old 03-17-2020, 07:35 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Now we just need Cobb to update the tune so that it remembers the mode in which the car was turned off in and possibly turning off the throttle blip for those that want it. APR is working on rolling out an update that can be loaded via the OBD in one's garage vice a shop so it would behoove Cobb to offer a little a extra!
Old 03-17-2020, 07:59 PM
Rennlist Member

Received 317 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
Now we just need Cobb to update the tune so that it remembers the mode in which the car was turned off in and possibly turning off the throttle blip for those that want it. APR is working on rolling out an update that can be loaded via the OBD in one's garage vice a shop so it would behoove Cobb to offer a little a extra!
It sounds like it might actually be a switching option. So you'll likely still be going to a dealer to get it done but youll get a couple or more maps. Stock on 91+ and say 91/93/e85? Tuned. So then there is no need for an AP and all you do is switch via a button or hardware in the car. I could be wrong, this is what they have done in the past and they are using the word switch and not saying Access Port for that reason. Which works for the majority of folks, including me.
Old 03-20-2020, 01:12 PM
Robdokwon
Rennlist Member

COVID -19 Perspective Disclaimer: Posting this below as a positive form of distraction in these very difficult times we are all in. We all have more pressing concerns so this stuff while trivial is also just the right thing to keep us hoping for sunnier days. With that said:

My review of recent Cobb AP do-it-yourself download for 17' 991.2 Base w/ PDK. Loaded the Off-the-Shelf Stage 1 93.

Order experience: very easy online, simple location on website and add-to-cart was a breeze. I also called Cobb and s/w sales agent and got some answers to a few questions I had, being nervous about an expensive DIY software product that purportedly turns your base Carrera into a S or GTS on power and speed. Polite and knowledgeable, they were ready for my FAQs. Took about 6 days to arrive at the door. UPS required signature - did not like that because if I wasn't home and missed it I would've been upset.

Delivery experience: Packaged well, the quality of the AP itself and the cords are high and add confidence that this product is sophisticated. The instruction booklet is excellent and truly set forth in a brief and efficient way. Could it really be that simple? Yes, read on.

Install experience: I followed Cobb's sales agent's advice to connect a 20 amp battery charger minutes before installing the AP to the car. That was easy and reassuring - zero issues. With the battery charge level hovering consistently at 13.2 V I went ahead with the AP install. The plug connects easily to the AP and easily to the purple female connector on my car's ECU under the driver's side dash - stupidly simple. I followed the directions on the AP screen (tells you to switch the key to the on (but not running) position and from there it prompts you with a few more easy to follow steps and then commences the download, showing a % status bar along the way. ***Note, during this time, all the dash warning lights are going on and off and all sorts of failure messages are popping up and going away in the message dash cluster screen - this is normal Cobb assured and natural part of the ECU reflash. Don't panic here. It took about 15 minutes or so to complete successfully. Says that when you are done. The possessed dash lights all resolved and back to normal state. I unplugged everything and put the AP away.

Driving experience: I followed the directions to wait a min or so and then started the car drove away right after the install was done. The engine "rough" feeling and sounding for a few minutes - as if you got a new exhaust and there was some odd vibrations on revs over 4k. I was told by Cobb rep this would happen and not to worry it would go away after a few minutes and a few miles driven - it totally did. It was gone before I noticed again. Whew.

I let the engine warm nicely by driving slow around town for a few min until the oil temp was up past the blue zone (as I always do), then I started to dip my foot in the throttle a bit, first in normal mode. Right away, I noticed that I suddenly had more wind-up torque even at partial throttle. The car surged forward in a faster way than stock with the same throttle press distance. Nice. Cobb AP noticed! I began to press harder and harder, feeling how the PDK now interacted with the new higher boost level. Was it still linear? Yes, but. But what? It's a little different now, hard to put a finger on it though, I'm still processing this in my head and will update further when I drive more. For now, my initial impression is that you now notice that your car has turbos, for real. S and GTS cars always had a bit of lag before the heavy power delivery and now so does the Base. Although not as fast, the beauty of the Base Carrera was it's awesome linear power delivery with perfectly calibrated PDK rhythms. It's no longer as silky smooth now with Stage 1 93 running. But it is very noticeably faster now - the car has been transformed to a more frenetic and fast machine, delivering the feel in your hands and butt that the car has serious boost thrust now. And your speedo quickly shows speeds way faster than you used to be at at the same throttle input in the same gear. You're flying now. From a launch at the light perspective, the car is a rocket now, even partial throttle pull-away is amusing as you leave the cars behind in the dust, literally. The traction control intervention is more there now than stock - actually I barely ever noticed any TC when stock. I then drove in Sport mode for a while and the car is a certified animal. PDK and more boost and it's a ball of fun. A whole different car now, my brakes are now working ever harder as I'm asking more from them from all the throttle and speed fun.

So far my only small issue is that there is now a slight delay when you press the pedal down hard before the boost comes on and the car flies ahead, like, duh, it actually has turbos now. But again, Base owners never had any lag really, so it's a bit more boy-racer-ish now. Nice that with the COBB AP you can always uninstall if you want.

Do you stage 2 on the BASE? no way. no need. if you still need more power (in your head), turn off your TC once to invoke sport PSM or off completely - good luck, you'll realize how much power you always had. Stage 1 is perfect for Base owners. I'll update more as I go.
The following 3 users liked this post by Robdokwon:
Irish996 (05-12-2020), Omega4 (03-20-2020), Sarawnty (03-20-2020)

Quick Reply: 991.2 Cobb Accessport, post your results