Sponsored by:

991.2 Cobb Accessport, post your results

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2020, 12:06 AM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Received 586 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by Robdokwon
Driving experience: I followed the directions to wait a min or so and then started the car drove away right after the install was done. The engine "rough" feeling and sounding for a few minutes - as if you got a new exhaust and there was some odd vibrations on revs over 4k. I was told by Cobb rep this would happen and not to worry it would go away after a few minutes and a few miles driven - it totally did. It was gone before I noticed again. Whew.

So far my only small issue is that there is now a slight delay when you press the pedal down hard before the boost comes on and the car flies ahead, like, duh, it actually has turbos now. But again, Base owners never had any lag really, so it's a bit more boy-racer-ish now. Nice that with the COBB AP you can always uninstall if you want.
That initial 'rough' running is likely due to the fuel trims resetting. And then it has to readjust for your specific fuel. Which it does after a bit of driving.

Curious about the slight delay, could maybe use some more fine tuning on the throttle tip-in. Could also swap on some headers and sport cats which will make the car measurably more responsive. And more power and noise of course
Old 03-21-2020, 12:14 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,434 Likes on 2,348 Posts

High-flow cats provide a big benefit, which I failed to mention - they reduced the tiny bit of lag even before I added the tune to my GTS.
Old 03-21-2020, 02:00 AM
Robdokwon
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
High-flow cats provide a big benefit, which I failed to mention - they reduced the tiny bit of lag even before I added the tune to my GTS.
Funny you guys should mention high flow cats - it's been on the wishlist ever since I had SOUL do my exhaust. I still think my car is a bit quiet under load and sport cats should do the trick, plus the other benefits you speak of.

The news coming out of NY (where I live) is more dismal by the day - it's getting harder and harder to talk about cars anymore. This is surreal.
Old 03-27-2020, 02:16 PM
Aatish
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 56 Posts

Got my AP today. Also will be doing a remote tune with BBI in the future (after headers are on).
For now, will try and get some another baseline dragy pull, followed by stage 1 and stage 2.

The following 2 users liked this post by Aatish:
Chillywon (03-27-2020), Porschex3 (03-27-2020)
Old 03-30-2020, 12:05 PM
BBiAutosport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 551 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by Robdokwon
COVID -19 Perspective Disclaimer: Posting this below as a positive form of distraction in these very difficult times we are all in. We all have more pressing concerns so this stuff while trivial is also just the right thing to keep us hoping for sunnier days. With that said:

My review of recent Cobb AP do-it-yourself download for 17' 991.2 Base w/ PDK. Loaded the Off-the-Shelf Stage 1 93.

Order experience: very easy online, simple location on website and add-to-cart was a breeze. I also called Cobb and s/w sales agent and got some answers to a few questions I had, being nervous about an expensive DIY software product that purportedly turns your base Carrera into a S or GTS on power and speed. Polite and knowledgeable, they were ready for my FAQs. Took about 6 days to arrive at the door. UPS required signature - did not like that because if I wasn't home and missed it I would've been upset.

Delivery experience: Packaged well, the quality of the AP itself and the cords are high and add confidence that this product is sophisticated. The instruction booklet is excellent and truly set forth in a brief and efficient way. Could it really be that simple? Yes, read on.

Install experience: I followed Cobb's sales agent's advice to connect a 20 amp battery charger minutes before installing the AP to the car. That was easy and reassuring - zero issues. With the battery charge level hovering consistently at 13.2 V I went ahead with the AP install. The plug connects easily to the AP and easily to the purple female connector on my car's ECU under the driver's side dash - stupidly simple. I followed the directions on the AP screen (tells you to switch the key to the on (but not running) position and from there it prompts you with a few more easy to follow steps and then commences the download, showing a % status bar along the way. ***Note, during this time, all the dash warning lights are going on and off and all sorts of failure messages are popping up and going away in the message dash cluster screen - this is normal Cobb assured and natural part of the ECU reflash. Don't panic here. It took about 15 minutes or so to complete successfully. Says that when you are done. The possessed dash lights all resolved and back to normal state. I unplugged everything and put the AP away.

Driving experience: I followed the directions to wait a min or so and then started the car drove away right after the install was done. The engine "rough" feeling and sounding for a few minutes - as if you got a new exhaust and there was some odd vibrations on revs over 4k. I was told by Cobb rep this would happen and not to worry it would go away after a few minutes and a few miles driven - it totally did. It was gone before I noticed again. Whew.

I let the engine warm nicely by driving slow around town for a few min until the oil temp was up past the blue zone (as I always do), then I started to dip my foot in the throttle a bit, first in normal mode. Right away, I noticed that I suddenly had more wind-up torque even at partial throttle. The car surged forward in a faster way than stock with the same throttle press distance. Nice. Cobb AP noticed! I began to press harder and harder, feeling how the PDK now interacted with the new higher boost level. Was it still linear? Yes, but. But what? It's a little different now, hard to put a finger on it though, I'm still processing this in my head and will update further when I drive more. For now, my initial impression is that you now notice that your car has turbos, for real. S and GTS cars always had a bit of lag before the heavy power delivery and now so does the Base. Although not as fast, the beauty of the Base Carrera was it's awesome linear power delivery with perfectly calibrated PDK rhythms. It's no longer as silky smooth now with Stage 1 93 running. But it is very noticeably faster now - the car has been transformed to a more frenetic and fast machine, delivering the feel in your hands and butt that the car has serious boost thrust now. And your speedo quickly shows speeds way faster than you used to be at at the same throttle input in the same gear. You're flying now. From a launch at the light perspective, the car is a rocket now, even partial throttle pull-away is amusing as you leave the cars behind in the dust, literally. The traction control intervention is more there now than stock - actually I barely ever noticed any TC when stock. I then drove in Sport mode for a while and the car is a certified animal. PDK and more boost and it's a ball of fun. A whole different car now, my brakes are now working ever harder as I'm asking more from them from all the throttle and speed fun.

So far my only small issue is that there is now a slight delay when you press the pedal down hard before the boost comes on and the car flies ahead, like, duh, it actually has turbos now. But again, Base owners never had any lag really, so it's a bit more boy-racer-ish now. Nice that with the COBB AP you can always uninstall if you want.

Do you stage 2 on the BASE? no way. no need. if you still need more power (in your head), turn off your TC once to invoke sport PSM or off completely - good luck, you'll realize how much power you always had. Stage 1 is perfect for Base owners. I'll update more as I go.
Thanks for the detailed writeup on your experience! We love the COBB Accessport product on these 991.2 Carrera cars, they much such a big change in response.
Going from the COBB OTS maps to a ProTune makes and even bigger difference as well

-Charles@BBi

Bringing Passion, Artistry, Craft to the Porsche Tuning Industry
Southern California's Porsche Performance Tuning, Engine Development,
ECU Software Tuning, Custom Fabrication, Race Preparation & Factory Service Center
Website: www.bbiautosport.com Email: sales@bbiautosport.com Phone: (714) 843-0200
Follow Us On: Facebook & Instagram
Old 04-02-2020, 09:39 PM
damien996
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Here’s my results. I went from a Cobb stage 2 to a pro tune 400hp and 460 ft-lbs torque on a dynojet. I have a BMC air filter and Soul sport cats on my 991.2 T.
Old 04-02-2020, 09:41 PM
Ksdaoski
Rennlist Member

Received 1,798 Likes on 899 Posts

Originally Posted by damien996
Here’s my results. I went from a Cobb stage 2 to a pro tune 400hp and 460 ft-lbs torque on a dynojet. I have a BMC air filter and Soul sport cats on my 991.2 T.
Nice! Who did it?
Old 04-02-2020, 09:57 PM
damien996
Advanced

^^^ Mach V out of Sterling VA owned by Dan Hurwitz. I found them on the Cobb website, spent time talking and emailing back and forth. They spent a lot of time with the car, made sure I was happy. My number one priority was a stoichiometric air / fuel mixture.
Old 04-02-2020, 09:58 PM
thesaintusa
Rennlist Member

Received 366 Likes on 287 Posts

Picked up 26 hp and 52 lb/-ft, over OTS stage 2?

991.2 T with filter and headers?

Nice

Notice any difference in driveability? Does it seem 'smoother'?

Old 04-02-2020, 10:10 PM
damien996
Advanced

BMC filter and Soul Sport Cats, not headers. It still has the same characteristics as when it was stock but it pushes (pulls) really hard. I could tell a huge difference in toque and first gear is more immediate as a result of the custom tune. First gear was another priority for me, I felt like the Cobb tune v105 / v106 maps were really neutered compared to the v104 map.

Originally Posted by thesaintusa
Picked up 26 hp and 52 lb/-ft, over OTS stage 2?

991.2 T with filter and headers?

Nice

Notice any difference in driveability? Does it seem 'smoother'?
Old 04-02-2020, 11:36 PM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Received 586 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by damien996
BMC filter and Soul Sport Cats, not headers. It still has the same characteristics as when it was stock but it pushes (pulls) really hard. I could tell a huge difference in toque and first gear is more immediate as a result of the custom tune. First gear was another priority for me, I felt like the Cobb tune v105 / v106 maps were really neutered compared to the v104 map.
Yeah, the first couple COBB maps ran ~23psi in the mid-range and had massive torque like you do now. The new maps only run like 18psi. That's a solid gain on the top end.
Old 04-02-2020, 11:45 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,434 Likes on 2,348 Posts

My only semi-complaint about the Cobb tune is 1st gear but I guess it is not their fault since they can only do so much with each platform. But if the Pro-Tune resolves that some what I may want to reconsider getting one.
Old 04-02-2020, 11:58 PM
damien996
Advanced

Here’s a map I had Mach V build for me so I could see the torque at lower rpm’s and how it builds gradually.

If you look close at the lower rpm’s of the shelf maps (below in blue) from Cobb, you see torque hits quick and begins to decrease at lower rpm’s. I really like the protune torque curve and the power delivery.

Old 04-03-2020, 12:37 AM
thesaintusa
Rennlist Member

Received 366 Likes on 287 Posts

That is massive TQ down low wow.

How does it hook up? Are you lighting up the tires from a roll in 3rd? wow.
Old 04-03-2020, 02:31 PM
Rennlist Member

Received 317 Likes on 158 Posts

Nice pick-up especially on the 60ft lbs of Tq! Is this a PDK or MT? Didnt want to assume everyone CT was a manual hhahah.

Do you have any real life data pulls like draggy. I'd be interested to see you do some with the OTS Stg2 and then again with the pro-tune. Would be awesome real world gains!

Quick Reply: 991.2 Cobb Accessport, post your results