Sponsored by:

991.2 Cobb Accessport, post your results

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2020, 03:49 PM
Rennlist Member

Received 317 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by PTS-BRG
You make it sound so easy...

Got to find an APR dealer and drive the car to them to load MAP.
Then drive it and Dragy test it to see real world performance.
Then, if its no better than Cobb or worse, go back to APR Dealer to remove it.

No idea how the Cobb tune and unlock would work with the APR tune and unlock and if overwriting the Cobb Tune with APR would trigger some security issue or require something from Cobb to get it flashed back.
I've been the guinea pig for a lot of stuff on Rennlist, I wont be the guinea pig for this one..
I am sure its much easier said than done. It's why I said give them a call and tell them what you want to do. They may even tell you straight up if they over came the same issues the Cobb tune has. Outside of your time, and maybe your location and APR dealers near you, I dont think its that much work to find out. But thats me and I have 2 dealers within 20 minutes to me Hahah!

In regards to compatibility, it would be fine, if you load APR and then find it not for you, you will be back on the latest stock file.

The process would be Cobb >stock>APR>stock>cobb.
Old 06-09-2020, 03:54 PM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

Received 634 Likes on 345 Posts

The Cobb Handheld AP is married to the car. Once you unmarry it from the car, I am unclear how easy or difficult it would be to once again marry it back to the car.
It is a process.. perhaps an easy one and perhaps a difficult one. I just dont want to be the first guy to do it. Let someone else do it and write an FAQ for us all..
Old 06-09-2020, 03:59 PM
Rennlist Member

The Cobb Handheld AP is married to the car. Once you unmarry it from the car, I am unclear how easy or difficult it would be to once again marry it back to the car.
It is a process.. perhaps an easy one and perhaps a difficult one. I just dont want to be the first guy to do it. Let someone else do it and write an FAQ for us all..
Gotcha! While I was quoting you, I meant it in general to anyone else thats running into this bump in the road.

I've been running the APR tune and dont have any complaints to be honest. I am patiently waiting for their "at home" solution and possibly a GTS upgrade package they seem to be working on also.
Old 06-09-2020, 06:03 PM
M Engineering
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,527 Likes on 551 Posts

Working on this now. We are close with Nabils car.

Will send a file to him today and we will keep testing it till we sort it out, and then we will update anyone else that we have tuned if they have the issue.

Mitch
The following 2 users liked this post by M Engineering:
Aatish (06-09-2020), fsmich (06-09-2020)
Old 06-09-2020, 07:39 PM
arter
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 94 Posts

Once you unmarry it, it could re-married just as easy as it was the first time.
Old 06-09-2020, 08:06 PM
fsmich
Rennlist Member

Received 162 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by 911.
I get what you are saying, based on the base tunes that are out there, their tune is more in line with the old cobb stage 2 tunes that made crazy power and the draggy results are showing incredible times. With that said, I think they advertise ~615 rwhp and around 578 rwtq. which is around the 600 at the crank, very similar values you are getting on some of your pulls so its hard to say for sure if they are limiting torque for that same reason. Thus why I said, give them a shout and tell them what you are looking to do and be ready to get it loaded, go drive to give it some miles to settle and then book some time to slap on a dyno, and do your own draggy results. If the issue is still there, return it and load the cobb file back on, get a refund.
Crank hp is more. APR shows 615whp = 648 crank hp/594tq. This is a level beyond any Cobb pro-tunes I've seen.
Tyler at APR said he did experience the flutter at this level on the E85/104 calibration and fixed it before the release.
Old 06-09-2020, 10:42 PM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

I'm not here to start a flame war or throw stones at anyone, but I dont believe any of the dyno numbers provided by anyone. I need to see independent dyno numbers from real world users to validate anything.
If APR has the ability to get better numbers, then lets get a member here to validate it. I will even chip in for some dyno testing money to help them out.
But, I dont believe for a second that APR'S protune is any better than COBBS. Maybe APR made their OTS MAP more aggressive than COBB did and thats a personal decision, but once you open it up and get a protune, I dont believe APR is going to provide any better numbers than COBB.

Cobb had a monster OTS MAP when they first came out but the shift issue popped up and they couldn't figure it out so they dialed it back.
Not enough people on here with APR tunes to be able to validate anything I am afraid.
Old 06-10-2020, 12:58 PM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fsmich
Crank hp is more. APR shows 615whp = 648 crank hp/594tq. This is a level beyond any Cobb pro-tunes I've seen.
Tyler at APR said he did experience the flutter at this level on the E85/104 calibration and fixed it before the release.
the ~600 I was referring to the crank tq since the issues appear to be coming from that number getting to the 620 tq figure limit.

I'm not here to start a flame war or throw stones at anyone, but I dont believe any of the dyno numbers provided by anyone. I need to see independent dyno numbers from real world users to validate anything.
If APR has the ability to get better numbers, then lets get a member here to validate it. I will even chip in for some dyno testing money to help them out.
But, I dont believe for a second that APR'S protune is any better than COBBS. Maybe APR made their OTS MAP more aggressive than COBB did and thats a personal decision, but once you open it up and get a protune, I dont believe APR is going to provide any better numbers than COBB.

Cobb had a monster OTS MAP when they first came out but the shift issue popped up and they couldn't figure it out so they dialed it back.
Not enough people on here with APR tunes to be able to validate anything I am afraid.
Their base tuned cars that have posted up dyno/draggy results are at the claimed APR levels. In time we'll get more GTS and Base/S with GTS turbos posting up dynos!
Old 06-10-2020, 03:30 PM
Nabil_3.0
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Like Mitch said i'll be testing the latest file here shortly will give him more feedback and logs to look at. will also update the forum on Shift status and ill draggy the car for ****s and giggles.
Sucks i have not dynoed my car due to not having access to a PWIS3. I'm confident my car makes well into the 500HP and 600 plus TRQ.
Old 06-10-2020, 06:14 PM
polobai
Drifting

Received 1,125 Likes on 670 Posts

You dont need PWIS to dyno your car. Take it to any 2wd or 4wd dyno and turn off traction control and let her rip. I have done thins many times in my manual car-should make no difference with PDK.
Old 06-10-2020, 06:31 PM
Nabil_3.0
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by polobai
You dont need PWIS to dyno your car. Take it to any 2wd or 4wd dyno and turn off traction control and let her rip. I have done thins many times in my manual car-should make no difference with PDK.

Not sure if this makes a difference but my car is a 991.2 and many tuners have told me you need Pwis or it will not work
Old 06-10-2020, 07:08 PM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

You need an All Wheel Drive Dyno, which isnt what most shops have, but as far as I know there is no reason to use a PWIS for any reason regarding tuning.
Old 06-10-2020, 07:09 PM
polobai
Drifting

Mine is a 991.2 also. I have over 10 dyno runs on a 2wd dyno with no issues. Check it out-I had the same concerns as well and just gave it a shot with no ill effects:
https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1134...ts-inside.html

Now I dont know if PDK will make a difference or not, but I we wont know until someone gives it a shot!
Old 06-10-2020, 07:14 PM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

Nabil: The reason people are telling you that you need a PIWIS to dyno is because the shops you are using do not have all wheel drive dynos.
Polobai dyno tested his car on a 2 wheel drive dyno. I am not certain if he put the car in dyno mode ( 2 wheels only) or dyno'ed it without dyno mode.
If he tested an AWD car on a 2 wheel drive dyno without putting it into dyno mode then I would suspect the numbers would all be inaccurate and off.
You DO need a PIWIS to dyno if the dyno isnt an AWD dyno. I think thats the confusion here..
Old 06-10-2020, 07:21 PM
polobai
Drifting

No dyno mode here-I dyno'd on a 2wd dyno and just turned the traction control off (hold down button for 4 seconds or so). No PWIS used, etc. Again, my car is manual so not sure if it will be the same on PDK.

Quick Reply: 991.2 Cobb Accessport, post your results