Sponsored by:

991.2 Cobb Accessport, post your results

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2020, 03:49 PM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Received 585 Likes on 394 Posts

Originally Posted by LargePuppy
It's not limited to GTS... I have a base and encountered the same issue. My discussions with Cobb indicate that it's generally focused on the GTS, but they have seen even a few base and S's that have the same issue... fwiw, the base and S's did dyno a bit higher than their normal counterparts
I stand corrected. Good to know. The complexity of the PDK trans and how it is calibrated, well, the hardware and tune of the transmission was done for the stock power and torque levels. Go too far beyond that, and things are bound to act funky. I a manual transmission car, the clutch would just slip Fancy PDK transmission comes with fancy new issues.
Old 02-23-2020, 08:28 AM
B Russ
Rennlist Member

Received 803 Likes on 538 Posts

So after yesterday I would say the seat of the pants meter I give stage 1 a 5. It seems more snappy and quicker with the power. Theres not really a WOW factor but it is noticeable, You can feel the beast of the this car on the verge of showing up. I will have time to try the stage 2 before I leave and will report back. BTW I still have the Sprint Booster (SB) pedal controller in place and it creates an even more responsive throttle, Lets just say its very snappy on the SBs sport mode. Race mode on the SB puts the car into a Sport plus mode holding the revs/shifts even though I only have it in Sport in the Chrono. I still think for short $$ the SB is a great mod that livens up the car without altering the ECU. @Robdokwon you might try the SB first before spending 1700. I have SBs in 3 of my cars right now, 17 911 4s, 18 Panamera Turbo and 19 Ram 1500.
The following users liked this post:
thesaintusa (02-23-2020)
Old 02-23-2020, 11:09 AM
thesaintusa
Rennlist Member

Received 366 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by B Russ
So after yesterday I would say the seat of the pants meter I give stage 1 a 5. It seems more snappy and quicker with the power. Theres not really a WOW factor but it is noticeable, You can feel the beast of the this car on the verge of showing up. I will have time to try the stage 2 before I leave and will report back. BTW I still have the Sprint Booster (SB) pedal controller in place and it creates an even more responsive throttle, Lets just say its very snappy on the SBs sport mode. Race mode on the SB puts the car into a Sport plus mode holding the revs/shifts even though I only have it in Sport in the Chrono. I still think for short $$ the SB is a great mod that livens up the car without altering the ECU. @Robdokwon you might try the SB first before spending 1700. I have SBs in 3 of my cars right now, 17 911 4s, 18 Panamera Turbo and 19 Ram 1500.
B Russ.

Nice to hear that you are happy.

Curious to know how the Sprint Booster 'tricks' the car into holding a gear longer preventing/delaying the upshift.

I like a linear throttle pedal, and when I had a tune on my C63 specifically asked for the changes in throttle mapping to not be included on my tune.

Old 02-23-2020, 11:58 AM
BIGWORM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,058 Likes on 533 Posts

I’m having a hard time understanding why anyone would want to stack hyper throttle and a tune together.

The Porsche throttle is crisp out of the box. I can see using a sprint booster on a Tahoe, raptor, or big suv/truck with a delayed throttle. But on the 911 with a tune? You must be at full throttle 1/4 press of pedal?

I remember Bmw turners use to change the throttle pedal mapping and I hated it. Because it gave a false sense of tune speed increase.

I don’t know if the Cobb tune alters the throttle Pedal mapping. But if it does. I would not want a sprint booster on top.

In my Bmw tune experience that’s just way too much hyper throttle for me.

Trapperj (03-16-2020)
Old 02-23-2020, 12:48 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,434 Likes on 2,348 Posts

So you see what I mean now! It was hard for me to describe my thoughts on how it feels but I still feel it is worth the cost. I do feel it is better now since I have put about 500 miles on the tune and while I am curious as to how much more power there would be with the Stage 2 map I am currently content. If you do in fact try Stage 2 I really want to hear your thoughts as to how it compares to Stage 1, and I might change my mind after all!
Old 02-23-2020, 01:06 PM
B Russ
Rennlist Member

Im not sure Im going to go to 2, Seriously how stupid do I want this car to be? I have some time to think about it.
Old 02-23-2020, 01:08 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Im not sure Im going to go to 2, Seriously how stupid do I want this car to be? I have some time to think about it.
My thoughts exactly. I am pleased with the results and it pulls very hard when passing someone so why stress the car more than I need to?!
Old 02-23-2020, 04:06 PM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Stage 2 should only be used if you have the supporting mod of a high flow cat. From the charts COBB has posted, it really only increases the mid-range torque/power with the peak staying nearly the same over Stage 1. You know, you don't have to floor it all the time Just go part throttle, but the extra power is there if you want it.
Old 02-23-2020, 04:23 PM
thesaintusa
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BIGWORM
I’m having a hard time understanding why anyone would want to stack hyper throttle and a tune together.

The Porsche throttle is crisp out of the box. I can see using a sprint booster on a Tahoe, raptor, or big suv/truck with a delayed throttle. But on the 911 with a tune? You must be at full throttle 1/4 press of pedal?

I remember Bmw turners use to change the throttle pedal mapping and I hated it. Because it gave a false sense of tune speed increase.

I don’t know if the Cobb tune alters the throttle Pedal mapping. But if it does. I would not want a sprint booster on top.

In my Bmw tune experience that’s just way too much hyper throttle for me.
That is what I was implying.

i prefer to control the throttle with the right pedal, and dislike when throttle pedal mapping is altered to make the car seem more 'peppy/powerful'.

Curious to know what COBB does, but I have no doubt that even an OTS Cobb tune will make a big difference.

Want to see how the APR tune treats the GTS.

Old 02-23-2020, 05:53 PM
B Russ
Rennlist Member

spd, I have soul high flow cats
Old 02-23-2020, 05:54 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

spd, I have soul high flow cats
Ditto, our cars are ready, but maybe not the owners.
B Russ (02-23-2020)
Old 02-23-2020, 05:59 PM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
Just start with 70% throttle and work your way up
Old 02-23-2020, 06:39 PM
B Russ
Rennlist Member

Bobs
Old 02-23-2020, 06:41 PM
thesaintusa
Rennlist Member

That is a good problem to have
Old 03-06-2020, 06:27 PM
rad_911
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 17 4S, PDK I did the stage 1 93 yesterday. Put about 150 miles on it since and so far its not an Oh **** moment by any means. The power is linear and is strong through the range but Its really hard to quantify in this car since its a very quick car stock. Were getting into difficult territory here with cars that exceed the speed limits in seconds to begin with. Im not sure how much more pull I need in this car but will drive this stage 1 for a while then try the stage 2. Only problem is Im with the car for a week then away from it for 2 so it becomes difficult to compare when I come back. Im also comparing it to my 4.0 Turbo Panamera that is a major beast with 20 lbs of boost stock and tons of pull.
I have a C2S (manual) with PSE and have about the same experience.

Car feels maybe a bit more responsive, but ultimately not even sure I would be able to tell in a blind test where I didn't know which tune was loaded.

My dyno numbers pretty much back that up.

Run 1: Cobb Stage 1 - 93 octane in Sport Plus
Run 2: Cobb Simulated Stock in Sport Plus
Run 3: Cobb Stage 1 - 93 octane in Sport Plus

Long term I'll consider high flow cats and a pro tune, but if there are any other stock S's owners out there, I'd lower your expectations if you're buying an Access Port.

I'd highly recommend Base owners get an AP. A friend with a C2 Base PDK running Stage 2 93 octane map topped my dyno numbers by a bit, and it was night and day versus his stock numbers.

Quick Reply: 991.2 Cobb Accessport, post your results