Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.2 Cobb Accessport, post your results

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2020, 09:33 AM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

Received 634 Likes on 345 Posts

I dont drag my car on the track. My testing is all done on normal straight roadways. I couldn't break them free on the stock pirellis, the winter Alpin's or the summer pilot super sport 4S.

911.: You are again mistaken. And again APR is way behind the curve because they do not even have a GTS OTS map, only Carrera maps. As Spdracerut stated, the only people having issues with shifting from 3-4th are the GTS cars and primarily the AWD versions as far as I can tell. Cobb made the OTS maps for the GTS much less aggressive in order to avoid this from happening. My pro tune, which produces far more hp/tq than any OTS map, is based on the latest neutered maps and does not have any shift issues any longer. It also is less aggressive than the pro tune based on the original maps, so it isnt just torque.

spdracerut: "It's certainly something to do with too much torque/power and the transmission can't seem to handle it with the current transmission calibrations."

There are PDK cars that are not having any problems and able to handle much higher torque numbers. The Turbo S has the same PDK and it isnt having any issues and is also AWD. Everyone seems to think that it is a PDK calibration issue and maybe it is. I wish someone would figure it out..
Old 02-21-2020, 10:27 AM
Robdokwon
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Cobb stage 1 tune for Base 991.2 - can anyone please post their thoughts on what it FEELS like over stock?? I'm tired of reading objective graphs and numbers. I want someone who's articulate to describe with words (many) on just what your hands, butt and back are telling you after driving with the Stage 1 tune. Do you FEEL like it was worth the $1700 for the Accessport? Do your friends go for a ride with you and say things like "wow, dude, this sure is fast for a base carrera !" or in contrast, does nobody really notice the difference? Please, someone tell a story and leave the data alone for a minute or two.
The following 3 users liked this post by Robdokwon:
David Levine (05-12-2020), GT3FZS (02-23-2020), Irish996 (05-12-2020)
Old 02-21-2020, 10:35 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,434 Likes on 2,348 Posts

Originally Posted by Robdokwon
Cobb stage 1 tune for Base 991.2 - can anyone please post their thoughts on what it FEELS like over stock?? I'm tired of reading objective graphs and numbers. I want someone who's articulate to describe with words (many) on just what your hands, butt and back are telling you after driving with the Stage 1 tune. Do you FEEL like it was worth the $1700 for the Accessport? Do your friends go for a ride with you and say things like "wow, dude, this sure is fast for a base carrera !" or in contrast, does nobody really notice the difference? Please, someone tell a story and leave the data alone for a minute or two.
I have read several posts here where base owners have reported outstanding butt dyno results, more so than the S and GTS cars. I am running the Cobb Stage 1 93 octane tune now and I have no desire to try the Stage 2 since I like the improved power well enough for street driving....well worth the cost IMO and especially since I am tune it in my garage.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bob Z.:
GT3FZS (02-23-2020), Sarawnty (02-21-2020)
Old 02-21-2020, 10:41 AM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

Received 634 Likes on 345 Posts

Robdokwon: I do not think there is a person who has ever modified any car that wont tell you that a tune is the single most effective and best bang for the buck.
It is not possible that you would not feel an immediate increase in hp and torque in every gear with stronger pull. No other modification for $1700 can get you better or bigger gains.
The following users liked this post:
GT3FZS (02-23-2020)
Old 02-21-2020, 11:24 AM
Cheshi143
Pro

Received 284 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by VektorPerformance
iCheshi143 you have to be careful posting data like that. These are 2 different car models, with different amounts of parasitic losses, different factory output, different turbo trims, likely different roads and weather conditions. It's interesting for sure, but likely far too many variables for comparison sake.
Absolutely. The variable that has not changed are the satellites and the logging rate. It is not about which car is faster, since this is a comparison of two identical 0-60 runs, but rather how smooth the acceleration data for APR is compared to the COBB. Feel free to break down the micro variables too if you wish.

I have run both APR and COBB AP and I prefer the APR.
GT3FZS (02-23-2020)
Old 02-21-2020, 11:41 AM
Robdokwon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
I have read several posts here where base owners have reported outstanding butt dyno results, more so than the S and GTS cars. I am running the Cobb Stage 1 93 octane tune now and I have no desire to try the Stage 2 since I like the improved power well enough for street driving....well worth the cost IMO and especially since I am tune it in my garage.
Thanks - what car did you do it on? You didn’t describe any “feel” either.
Old 02-21-2020, 11:45 AM
Robdokwon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PTS-BRG
Robdokwon: I do not think there is a person who has ever modified any car that wont tell you that a tune is the single most effective and best bang for the buck.
It is not possible that you would not feel an immediate increase in hp and torque in every gear with stronger pull. No other modification for $1700 can get you better or bigger gains.
But please describe the power, delivery and feel over stock with some creative writing. I assume what you said already. I’m looking for some basic journalism here, first hand accounts of what numbers and stats actually feel like. Impressions, etc. can’t believe I have to spell this out ... for example, passing on the highway, dragging from a light, getting away from an *** in a WRX on your six, etc. talk to me people. Real world stuff please.
Old 02-21-2020, 12:18 PM
polobai
Drifting

Received 1,125 Likes on 670 Posts

I went from stock (359whp) on my Carerra t to cobb OTS stage 1 (the initial, more aggressive maps) at 452whp (no other hardware mods-no filter, no exhaust, etc.-maps switched while strapped to the dyno so there are no consistency issues). The change in behavior was astonishing with just stage 1. Immediately breaking loose tires from a stop and through 2nd/3rd gear. I can compare it to my previous Toyota Supra that made over 600whp and was 3850 lbs (with me in it)-I would say this car is just as fast overall but due to the smaller turbos spools waaayyyyy quicker but also drops off on power quicker compared to the 64mm turbo I had on my Supra. At 452whp and 3175 lbs (3400 with me in it) I can say it is a blast and completely changes the nature of the car. Since then I have added catless downpipes and a protune and have not put the car on the track as of yet. I am assuming my trap speeds in the 1/4 mile will be in the mid 120's compared to 115-117 stock. All in, if I had to do it again, I would-just wish they wouldn't have neutered down the current maps compared to how they were before. APR also seems to be a good option-just wish you could switch maps like the cobb via an interface-their e85 tune seems to be where its at! I am hoping I can one day get an e85 tune for my cobb made up and I would be 100% golden.
Old 02-21-2020, 12:23 PM
Robdokwon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by polobai
I went from stock (359whp) on my Carerra t to cobb OTS stage 1 (the initial, more aggressive maps) at 452whp (no other hardware mods-no filter, no exhaust, etc.-maps switched while strapped to the dyno so there are no consistency issues). The change in behavior was astonishing with just stage 1. Immediately breaking loose tires from a stop and through 2nd/3rd gear. I can compare it to my previous Toyota Supra that made over 600whp and was 3850 lbs (with me in it)-I would say this car is just as fast overall but due to the smaller turbos spools waaayyyyy quicker but also drops off on power quicker compared to the 64mm turbo I had on my Supra. At 452whp and 3175 lbs (3400 with me in it) I can say it is a blast and completely changes the nature of the car. Since then I have added catless downpipes and a protune and have not put the car on the track as of yet. I am assuming my trap speeds in the 1/4 mile will be in the mid 120's compared to 115-117 stock. All in, if I had to do it again, I would-just wish they wouldn't have neutered down the current maps compared to how they were before. APR also seems to be a good option-just wish you could switch maps like the cobb via an interface-their e85 tune seems to be where its at! I am hoping I can one day get an e85 tune for my cobb made up and I would be 100% golden.
thanks! Now we are talking. Appreciate the details on feel. Just to clarify, what is “OTS” ? I thought Cobb just sold a new AP that you could download a stage 1 tune yourself at home now. Is OTS a diff tune level?
Old 02-21-2020, 12:25 PM
polobai
Drifting

OTS=Off the shelf. These are the tunes that are pre-loaded from cobb and NOT the pro-tunes.
Old 02-21-2020, 12:31 PM
Robdokwon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by polobai
OTS=Off the shelf. These are the tunes that are pre-loaded from cobb and NOT the pro-tunes.

thanks, apologize to all for not knowing all my acronyms yet.

I assume it was a stage 1 93 octane OTS map, was it recently done? Also did it give you more thrust in all modes or were some modes given more thrill? Like sport vs sport plus vs comfort. Also, did shifting by the PDK change more aggressively or stayed the same ?
Old 02-21-2020, 12:38 PM
polobai
Drifting

No issues at all. Stage 1 93 octane OTS map, installed in March off 2019. It gave more thrust in all modes-couldn't tell much of a performance difference between modes (still had the pops and burbles, firm suspension in sport +, etc.). My car is manual, no pdk here-no issues holding the power (no slipping clutch, etc.). Hope this helps,
GT3FZS (02-23-2020)
Old 02-21-2020, 12:40 PM
B Russ
Rennlist Member

Received 803 Likes on 538 Posts

I have a 17 4S, PDK I did the stage 1 93 yesterday. Put about 150 miles on it since and so far its not an Oh **** moment by any means. The power is linear and is strong through the range but Its really hard to quantify in this car since its a very quick car stock. Were getting into difficult territory here with cars that exceed the speed limits in seconds to begin with. Im not sure how much more pull I need in this car but will drive this stage 1 for a while then try the stage 2. Only problem is Im with the car for a week then away from it for 2 so it becomes difficult to compare when I come back. Im also comparing it to my 4.0 Turbo Panamera that is a major beast with 20 lbs of boost stock and tons of pull.
Old 02-21-2020, 12:43 PM
BIGWORM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,058 Likes on 533 Posts

Originally Posted by Robdokwon
thanks, apologize to all for not knowing all my acronyms yet.

I assume it was a stage 1 93 octane OTS map, was it recently done? Also did it give you more thrust in all modes or were some modes given more thrill? Like sport vs sport plus vs comfort. Also, did shifting by the PDK change more aggressively or stayed the same ?
Look at it this way. The stock tune has three modes. You know how each one feels. Now add 75WHP++ to each one of those modules and that how it feels. You should look for someone in your area with a tune and go for a ride.
Old 02-21-2020, 12:46 PM
polobai
Drifting

I believe you are on the newer maps which are tuned down quite a bit. Also the general consensus is that you get the most drastic change on a base model, then an S and then a GTS (with S and GTS having less and less of a drastic change).

Quick Reply: 991.2 Cobb Accessport, post your results