Rennlist Member

Received 880 Likes on 581 Posts

Is APR having issues??, I dont follow them
Old 02-20-2020, 06:52 PM
VektorPerformance
Former Vendor

Received 355 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by PTS-BRG
Vektor: Did the car have PDK? Was it a GTS? Was it 2WD or AWD? Finally, how did you solve the issue..please do tell..
2WD GTS PDK. I only pester the tuner when we're doing product development with shop cars. I let him do his thing when he's tuning customer cars. That being said, we did have a conversation previous to it gong on the dyno in regards to drivability issues. I recall him saying how there could be issues with load limits being hit or exceeded, knock events, or even clamping pressure (Too little or too much) with the PDK. Asked after the session if the drivability was resolved and got a 'yes sir'. Ignorance is bliss I suppose. I'll shoot him an e-mail and see if he can give me some details.
Old 02-20-2020, 06:55 PM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

Received 636 Likes on 347 Posts

It seems to be the AWD cars that are having the issues but, I am not certain if it is exclusively the AWD cars. The tuners I have spoken with seem to think that the AWD software is what is causing this. Manual cars have no problems and almost all of the RWD PDK cars seem to be ok too. Its the AWD that are effected. I also am unable to break the tires free on any tune with the AWD GTS.
Old 02-20-2020, 07:06 PM
Rennlist Member

Received 318 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by B Russ
Is APR having issues??, I dont follow them
No the only issues I've seen posted has been with the Cobb stuff. albeit they have had their product out for much longer. My point was, the level of detail in the Cobb OTS isnt the same as the APR 'OTS'

I disagree with what PTS is talking about. Files like what APR does is like 90-95% of a Protune. And the only time youll see much more power is if you have a freak, or more in depth mods, but even then when you get your tune you tell them the mods you have so the tune can be tailored to the mods.
Old 02-20-2020, 07:10 PM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

I beg to differ, Based on dyno testing I have reviews from Cobb and APR, I do not see the APR tune providing any more HP or Torque over the stock Cobb OTS maps.
SO, that isnt close to 90-95% of a protune. Cobb also offers stage 1 or 2 maps based on your mods, so that is no different from the customization offered by APR.
Old 02-20-2020, 07:47 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,636 Likes on 1,663 Posts

I beg to differ, Based on dyno testing I have reviews from Cobb and APR, I do not see the APR tune providing any more HP or Torque over the stock Cobb OTS maps.
SO, that isnt close to 90-95% of a protune. Cobb also offers stage 1 or 2 maps based on your mods, so that is no different from the customization offered by APR.
I believe you are mistaken.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1175...une-dragy.html

Also have done a back-to-bak comparison of ARP and Cobb tunes on your 991?
Old 02-20-2020, 07:49 PM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

No but I have read dyno charts from both companies OTS maps and see no discernible differences.
Old 02-20-2020, 08:01 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,636 Likes on 1,663 Posts

No but I have read dyno charts from both companies OTS maps and see no discernible differences.
Seeing no discernible differences in charts is meaningless. There are folks here who have done back-to-back real life comparisons and experienced actually differences.

There are tradeoffs between the Cobb, APR, GAIC and other tune systems. It up to each individual to decide which works out best for them.
Old 02-20-2020, 08:36 PM
Rennlist Member

Received 318 Likes on 158 Posts

If you looked at the numbers, the APR is just shy of the crazy TQ V1 Cobb OTS maps. These are in line with most PRO-Tunes now... So the APR OTS tune is not only closer to pro-tunes (maybe not 95%, but 80+ for sure) but the guys at APR went thru all the tables or at least much more to add the safety and make sure all the components work in harmony, like your PDK, in 3rd and 4th gear under full TQ.
If you dont believe the marketing numbers, you should believe the draggy results. 1/4 of a second in OTS maps in a 50-90 is a significant amount. There is a lot of things that comes into play but data is data and it gives us all a good measure about whats going on with these cars and the mods. Nothing wrong with the Cobb either, im only pointing out what I see/hear about them, good or bad. And same with APR.
Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
Seeing no discernible differences in charts is meaningless. There are folks here who have done back-to-back real life comparisons and experienced actually differences.

There are tradeoffs between the Cobb, APR, GAIC and other tune systems. It up to each individual to decide which works out best for them.
This 100%.
Old 02-21-2020, 01:18 AM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Received 606 Likes on 407 Posts

Originally Posted by 911.
No the only issues I've seen posted has been with the Cobb stuff. albeit they have had their product out for much longer. My point was, the level of detail in the Cobb OTS isnt the same as the APR 'OTS'

I disagree with what PTS is talking about. Files like what APR does is like 90-95% of a Protune. And the only time youll see much more power is if you have a freak, or more in depth mods, but even then when you get your tune you tell them the mods you have so the tune can be tailored to the mods.
To be fair, only the GTS cars with most of the major power bolt-on mods (headers, cats, exhaust, intercoolers) have run into this issue. It's certainly something to do with too much torque/power and the transmission can't seem to handle it with the current transmission calibrations. APR is only now developing a tune for a GTS and without all the bolt-on mods.
Old 02-21-2020, 02:53 AM
koven
Rennlist Member

Received 323 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Marc-911
Anyone have the V105 maps they would be willing to send me. I just want to compare the performance vs the V106 (current) maps. Thanks Marc
cobb told me there is no performance change from 5 to 6
Old 02-21-2020, 03:28 AM
Cheshi143
Pro

Received 284 Likes on 145 Posts

Here is a couple of 0-60 runs. Top is COBB Stage 2 C4s (AWD), bottom is APR 91 OCT Base Carerra (RWD). Identical 0-60 times, look at the acceleration graph.

Name:  DSYAcUa.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  43.7 KB

Old 02-21-2020, 09:06 AM
Marc-911
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Same results

Cheshi. I'm getting similar results. I have a C2S with Cobb stage 1 93. I've attached a graph of the speed and rpm. 0-60 is 3.75s
I don't think the Cobb logs acceleration and I'm too lazy right now to calculate it through excel

Old 02-21-2020, 09:10 AM
VektorPerformance
Former Vendor

Both Cobb or APR tunes are going to be most idea (performance or reliable) if your specific and unique conditions (and there are many from car-to-car without even considering difference in mods or mod suppliers) more closely match the car the calibration was made on.

Cheshi143 you have to be careful posting data like that. These are 2 different car models, with different amounts of parasitic losses, different factory output, different turbo trims, likely different roads and weather conditions. It's interesting for sure, but likely far too many variables for comparison sake.
Old 02-21-2020, 09:15 AM
VektorPerformance
Former Vendor

I also am unable to break the tires free on any tune with the AWD GTS.
What tires are you running? Or are you talking on a prepped drag surface? On the street our shop Pro-tuned 4S is a handful in 1st, and if you're not going in a straight line, past first gear too. Maybe my commutes are to short or not aggressive enough to get the tires hot enough?

Quick Reply: 991.2 Cobb Accessport, post your results