991.1 to 991.2 steering wheel update and upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2023, 02:32 AM
Ivyplaya01
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by BoxCan
Hi Ivyplaya01,

Thank you for pointing me to the right direction. I purchased the GPS STMV1 adapter, it arrived today. I will be putting the adapter on the Macan wheel with MF, PDK paddle, heat button, no sport dial. Then I plan to put the wheel on the car soon.

You mentioned in your original post that, after installation and reconnecting the battery, there is some issue with the power window, but it is an easy 10 second fix. I could not find the post you mentioned, can you post the link to that post please?

Thank you.
congrats!

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1185...-on-991-a.html
The following users liked this post:
BoxCan (09-04-2023)
Old 08-09-2023, 08:07 AM
BoxCan
AutoX

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thank you, thank you 🙏🏼
Old 09-04-2023, 02:55 PM
BoxCan
AutoX

Finally got a chance to put the 991.2 steering wheel (actually a Macan wheel) onto my 991.1. It makes a huge difference! Now the C2S drives like a proper sports car with the pedal shifters. Definitely one of the best upgrades.

The old 991.1 steering wheel with thumb shifters. Why Porsche, why?

The 1000 times better updated steering steering wheel with paddle shifters, with after market paddle extensions.

Last edited by BoxCan; 09-04-2023 at 03:22 PM.
Porsche advocate (10-13-2023)
Old 09-04-2023, 03:02 PM
Ark20
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by BoxCan
Finally got a chance to put the 991.2 wheel onto my 991.1. It makes a huge difference! Now the C2S drives like a proper sports car with the pedal shifters. Definitely one of the best upgrades.

The old 991.1 steering wheel with thumb shifters. Why Porsche, why?

The 1000 times better 991.2 steering wheel with paddle shifters, with after market paddle extensions.
That looks amazing. I have the same steering wheel as your plus heat. In my opinion the ugliest thing in the car. Can you guide me on how much it cost? Where did you get the wheel etc. Thank you much!
BoxCan (09-04-2023)
Old 09-04-2023, 04:17 PM
BoxCan
AutoX

Originally Posted by Ark20
That looks amazing. I have the same steering wheel as your plus heat. In my opinion the ugliest thing in the car. Can you guide me on how much it cost? Where did you get the wheel etc. Thank you much!
I got both the Steering Wheel (Macan) and Airbag on eBay, used. The wheel was about $600, the airbag was $700. Then plus the GPS STMV1 adapter (so the new wheel can talk to the old car computer), that was about $350 I think. If yours is a multi-function wheel with heat, then you will need the STMV1H adapter instead.

Here is the link to GPS company.

gpsadapter.us

Ark20 (09-12-2023)
Old 09-04-2023, 04:33 PM
Larson E. Rapp
Pro

Received 429 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by Ark20
I just did the same thing to my Boxster. See part numbers in this post -- you can use the same ones. Looks like the only difference between my installation and BoxCan's is that I went with the all-black trim on the steering wheel, rather than installing the black switchgear in the silver housing.

If you prefer the silver housing you will want a different steering wheel part #, as it will cost $400 or so to change your mind later.

The total was just north of $3000 in my case, but I bought all the parts new and didn't do any aggressive shopping around. The airbag was the most expensive part, which I bought new from getporscheparts.com along with the rest of the parts.

Edit: looking more closely at BoxCan's installation it looks like that may be the black housing as well, with the lighting making it look silver.

Last edited by Larson E. Rapp; 09-04-2023 at 04:36 PM.
BoxCan (09-04-2023)
Old 09-04-2023, 04:53 PM
BoxCan
AutoX

Originally Posted by Larson E. Rapp
I just did the same thing to my Boxster. See part numbers in this post -- you can use the same ones. Looks like the only difference between my installation and BoxCan's is that I went with the all-black trim on the steering wheel, rather than installing the black switchgear in the silver housing.

If you prefer the silver housing you will want a different steering wheel part #, as it will cost $400 or so to change your mind later.

The total was just north of $3000 in my case, but I bought all the parts new and didn't do any aggressive shopping around. The airbag was the most expensive part, which I bought new from getporscheparts.com along with the rest of the parts.

Edit: looking more closely at BoxCan's installation it looks like that may be the black housing as well, with the lighting making it look silver.
You were right the first time. It was silver housing, I actually preferred black housing but couldn’t find one used.
Old 09-04-2023, 05:53 PM
Larson E. Rapp
Pro

Looks good either way. The only dealbreaker for me was the silver switchgear with the gratuitous screw heads. Was worth a few hundred bucks not to have to look at those, the way I have to in my Macan. That one may be next...
Old 09-05-2023, 04:44 PM
mia_porsche_911
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Forum, would appreciate any direction or info... I have been stuck for a few months with no fix. I have a 991.2 2018 Targa GTS

I swapped out my steering wheel from leather to carbon fiber, I added the MF buttons and have tried everything to get them to work and NOTHING. I kept the steering wheel module behind the airbag which came with the car and just connected the MF buttons and nothing. Any ideas on this one?

Thanks,
Old 09-11-2023, 11:17 AM
99-911
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts

to my knowledge, any change in the features/ functions of the steering wheel will require both hardware parts & software coding.
have you added the required hardware?
a new clock spring will be required plus deleting the extra stalk.
Did you get PIWIS coding done afterwards to activate MF buttons on steering wheel?
Old 09-12-2023, 06:43 PM
M5C IXII
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New steering wheel with drive mode selector

Originally Posted by Ivyplaya01
So I decided to take the plunge and trust the various things I read on the subject here and I upgraded the steering wheel in my 2013 c2s from a 991.1 style pdk carbon fiber multifunction with heating to a 991.2 paddle shifter pdk multifunction carbon with heating style. I am happy to report full and utter success with no problems run into. Scary at first but truly plug and play and makes huge interior upgrade difference.

steering wheel from suncoast great price for $1000

991.2 style airbag for $450 on eBay (came with additional airbag harness which wasn’t needed as the steering wheel comes with the harness)

https://www.suncoastparts.com/mm5/me...D&Store_Code=P

GPS Adapter-X $550 which is required for the 991.2 wheel to “talk” to the 991.1 computer system- truly plug and play with no additional coding needed. No trips to the dealer for any reason.

https://gpsadapter.us/

installation was truly straight forward. There’s a little awkwardness with Paul Li’s gps adaptor directions due to minor language issues (you can tell the company is in China and English not first language), but it was fairly clear and no huge hurdles or information gaps for installation.

feel free to shoot me messages if you have questions about the upgrade. I took a bunch of pics of various steps in the process. Honestly I was most worried about accessing the center console to install part b of the gps adapter x (which enables to steering wheel round toggle switch to access all your sport buttons), and even that part was much easier than I expected.

had to disconnect battery to safely do this project, the only thing I had to reset/relearn after reconnecting battery was the drivers side power window function. As previously posted on here and 6speedonnline, that’s a quick 10 second fix.

here are some pics. Pretty fun and dramatic upgrade. Love the paddles and the round toggle button, as well as the increased metal look of the 991.2 wheel vs 991.1 wheel.

hey—similar situation 991.2 to 991.2. New steering wheel has the thumb selectors; old one did not. TechArt built it based on VIN. once the connections are made, will it work? I don’t have the chrono package, not expecting the boost to magically work
Old 09-12-2023, 07:36 PM
TBK911
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Sorry, didn't read every post but what would a dealer charge vs. Diy? Just curious. Tia
Old 09-20-2023, 01:44 PM
TimYH
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

Anyone ever heard of this company 9Haus? They seem to sell steering wheels and air bags together for around ~1300 which is the same as if I scrap together parts on Ebay.
Old 09-20-2023, 02:07 PM
Larson E. Rapp
Pro

Originally Posted by TimYH
Anyone ever heard of this company 9Haus? They seem to sell steering wheels and air bags together for around ~1300 which is the same as if I scrap together parts on Ebay.
That's suspiciously cheap, safe to say it's not OEM. The paddles certainly aren't. Still, it might be a viable option.

Edit: this, on the other hand, sounds more interesting. If they are really providing one-stop shopping for all those options and saving you $1K or so in the process, that's pretty awesome. It all comes down to the quality, of course, but at least the pricing is more believable.

Originally Posted by TBK911
Sorry, didn't read every post but what would a dealer charge vs. Diy? Just curious. Tia
Dealers won't touch this with a 10-foot screwdriver. Porsche would probably yank their franchise, or at least that's the excuse they'd give you.

Last edited by Larson E. Rapp; 09-20-2023 at 02:14 PM.
Old 10-12-2023, 01:50 PM
Heartwork
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

The steering wheel I'm interested in has a heating button, but my car/steering wheel never had heating for the steering wheel. I don't care to ever use it. Can I simply ignore the connecting the wiring for the heating function on a new steering wheel or do I still connect the wiring into the clock spring? Will I get any error codes? I plan on using the GPS Adapter X to use Multi-function and the Sport Dial.

Current wheel:
Sport Design
Sport Chrono
No Multi-function
No Heating

New wheel:
GT Sport wheel
Sport Chrono with Drive Mode dial
Multi-function
Heating button

Quick Reply: 991.1 to 991.2 steering wheel update and upgrade