991.1 to 991.2 steering wheel update and upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2023, 07:33 PM
Ivyplaya01
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by 99-911
Thank you for the input..

I was not very keen on having the heat but I thought: while already there, better get the heat as well.
now you're telling me there is extra clock spring & potentially lots of coding, I'm thinking that over.

- can you plz post the part# for the clock spring?
- is it a component of the steering wheel? i.e. should it come installed with the new heated wheel?
- or is it a component of the steering column? & since my car didn't have it from factory I need to add on?

Glad to know that If I decided it's too much hassle to get the heating added, I could forgo that part of the install & still get all other functions.
I'll think about that Cobb solution, but I'm disappointed for not getting that feature with the new wheel/module.
here is where the gps adaptor site talks about swapping out clock spring. They even provide part numbers. like I said, there’s some great info and diy info on their site, just read through everything.

https://gpsadapter.us/blogs/installa...-multifunction
Old 04-17-2023, 11:20 AM
99-911
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Ivyplaya01
my original MF non sport wheel (yes, non sport means no paddle shifters, instead has the thumb shifters, even if it has the sport chrono sport plus indicators on it) had heat, so when I went to the 991.2 sport MF wheel with sport chrono **** I did not have to mess with clock spring, or coding. It was pretty much plug and play. I honestly rarely use the heat function, it gets too hot for my preference. I think it’s because I have the 991.2 sport carbon fiber wheel , and heat just makes the carbon fiber toichcpoints Uber hot. I bet the more insulated all leather wheels disperse the heat better.

In regards to part number for clockspring, I’d have to do some googling. Or maybe it’s even listed for reference on the gps site. The clock spring is behind the steering wheel, part of the steering column where all your stalks come out of.
Thank you @Ivyplaya01 for the clarification.

here is where the gps adaptor site talks about swapping out clock spring. They even provide part numbers. like I said, there’s some great info and diy info on their site, just read through everything.

https://gpsadapter.us/blogs/installa...-multifunction

Very informative..
Highly appreciated @Ivyplaya01

I'm now pretty much decided to skip adding the heat, at this stage at least, to avoid the need for PIWIS coding as the dealer is not supportive for this kind of upgrades.
Old 04-17-2023, 12:53 PM
Ivyplaya01
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 99-911
Thank you @Ivyplaya01 for the clarification.

Very informative..
Highly appreciated @Ivyplaya01

I'm now pretty much decided to skip adding the heat, at this stage at least, to avoid the need for PIWIS coding as the dealer is not supportive for this kind of upgrades.
you are spot on when you say dealer is not supportive. My local dealers really don’t want to touch anything that has to do with interior upgrades or interior fixes. Very strange, but very consistent,
Old 05-14-2023, 10:34 PM
JeremyR
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I have a multifunction with no heat now (on a 7MT) and want to go to the same with a 991.2 wheel, can I just get a heated one and not change the clockspring? Suncoast doesn't seem to offer it with mf and without heat
Old 05-15-2023, 03:42 PM
Pappagray
Instructor

Received 248 Likes on 104 Posts

991.2 guys
Old 05-15-2023, 03:43 PM
Ivyplaya01
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JeremyR
If I have a multifunction with no heat now (on a 7MT) and want to go to the same with a 991.2 wheel, can I just get a heated one and not change the clockspring? Suncoast doesn't seem to offer it with mf and without heat
I’m pretty sure it will work, just the button won’t do anything. That would drive me crazy though lol.
Old 05-15-2023, 05:53 PM
JeremyR
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I’m pretty sure it will work, just the button won’t do anything. That would drive me crazy though lol.
I hear you...getting the coding done just seems annoying for something I havent missed in almost 10 years of ownership
Old 05-16-2023, 11:40 AM
mwjackson92
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

I recently installed a 991.2 wheel into my 2012 991 C2S that had the multifunction wheel. I custom ordered it with Nappa wheel and airbag, along with a red 12 o'clock stripe from Autoparts63. It came pre-installed with an adaptor to plug and play into my car, im assuming the same adaptor mentioned in this thread. It was a bit expensive at $3k shipped for wheel/airbag/adaptor, but was a simple 1 hour install at my local indy. VERY happy with it! This is a no brainer upgrade for anyone with a 991.1 and that stupid MF wheel.
The following users liked this post:
99-911 (05-17-2023)
Old 06-10-2023, 03:38 PM
rsyed
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Upgrade done here..

The following users liked this post:
Steffner (06-12-2023)
Old 06-11-2023, 07:14 PM
tresean1
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys, thanks for putting this thread together. It has a wealth of information, but I must admit - I am still very confused...haha.
I am still quite the newbie so don't kill me :-)

I am seriously considering a new (to me) 991 Turbo but want to spruce up the interior immediately when/after I purchase.

According to the listing, it has Sport Chrono Package and Premium Package Plus.

I am assuming the current steering wheel is called the "sport steering wheel", as it has the paddle shifters & the sport mode led on the steering wheel.
The steering wheel want to upgrade to is the newer steering wheel with heating and the dial button for drive mode, and with multifunctions.

So my desperate question is complicated:
1) being that I don't yet have the car in my possession, how do I know if the steering wheel is heated or not?
2) with the current setup having the multifuction selector on the stalk, will getting a multifunction steering wheel be redundant, or even possible?
3) where will the the sport mode led be displayed on the new steering wheel?
4) given the above wildcards, what are my options?
a) what are the components I would need in either scenario?

Here is the photo of the steering wheel, for reference.

Thanks in advance for your patience in walking me through this.
I have been on other forums where people make negative & condescending comments to someone who is just trying to learn and ask for help.

Last edited by tresean1; 06-11-2023 at 07:48 PM.
Old 08-02-2023, 12:10 PM
BoxCan
AutoX

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Guys,

I am so glad I found this thread. I have been contemplating for weeks about swapping my 991.1 MF, non-heated, non sport (thumb buttons) wheel for a 991.2 wheel. I got the airbag and the wheel on ebay already. The wheel is a 2020 Macan wheel, paddles, same MF buttons, no sports chrono dial, has a heat button but I don't really care about adding the heat function.

Can I just swab the old wheel for the new one? Do I really need the GPS adapter? I have read the whole thread and getting a bit confused about the function of the GPS x-adapter. Some said it is for the 991.2 wheel to talk to the 991.1 car so the MF buttons will work. Some said it is for the sports chrono dial buttons to work, but my new wheel does not have the sport chrono dial. I am used to the center console sports plus buttons anyway.

So to summarize, if I don't care to add the heat function and no sports chrono dial on the new wheel, do I still need the GPS x adapter?

Thanks in advance for all your input.
Old 08-02-2023, 12:37 PM
Ivyplaya01
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BoxCan
Hi Guys,

I am so glad I found this thread. I have been contemplating for weeks about swapping my 991.1 MF, non-heated, non sport (thumb buttons) wheel for a 991.2 wheel. I got the airbag and the wheel on ebay already. The wheel is a 2020 Macan wheel, paddles, same MF buttons, no sports chrono dial, has a heat button but I don't really care about adding the heat function.

Can I just swab the old wheel for the new one? Do I really need the GPS adapter? I have read the whole thread and getting a bit confused about the function of the GPS x-adapter. Some said it is for the 991.2 wheel to talk to the 991.1 car so the MF buttons will work. Some said it is for the sports chrono dial buttons to work, but my new wheel does not have the sport chrono dial. I am used to the center console sports plus buttons anyway.

So to summarize, if I don't care to add the heat function and no sports chrono dial on the new wheel, do I still need the GPS x adapter?

Thanks in advance for all your input.
yes you need an adaptor to allow a 991.2 multifunction wheel to work with a 991.1 car. But you don’t need the gps adaptor X for this. That’s specifically for the mode buttons function, sport turn ****. You need this instead

https://gpsadapter.us/products/stmv1...nt=38387040267

good news, this is cheaper than the x adaptor.
more details you can read on the GPS site. Hope this helps.
Old 08-02-2023, 12:46 PM
BoxCan
AutoX

Thumbs up

yes you need an adaptor to allow a 991.2 multifunction wheel to work with a 991.1 car. But you don’t need the gps adaptor X for this. That’s specifically for the mode buttons function, sport turn ****. You need this instead

https://gpsadapter.us/products/stmv1...nt=38387040267

good news, this is cheaper than the x adaptor.
more details you can read on the GPS site. Hope this helps.
Thanks for the quick response. I really appreciate your help!
Old 08-02-2023, 12:48 PM
Ivyplaya01
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tresean1
Hey guys, thanks for putting this thread together. It has a wealth of information, but I must admit - I am still very confused...haha.
I am still quite the newbie so don't kill me :-)

I am seriously considering a new (to me) 991 Turbo but want to spruce up the interior immediately when/after I purchase.

According to the listing, it has Sport Chrono Package and Premium Package Plus.

I am assuming the current steering wheel is called the "sport steering wheel", as it has the paddle shifters & the sport mode led on the steering wheel.
The steering wheel want to upgrade to is the newer steering wheel with heating and the dial button for drive mode, and with multifunctions.

So my desperate question is complicated:
1) being that I don't yet have the car in my possession, how do I know if the steering wheel is heated or not?
2) with the current setup having the multifuction selector on the stalk, will getting a multifunction steering wheel be redundant, or even possible?
3) where will the the sport mode led be displayed on the new steering wheel?
4) given the above wildcards, what are my options?
a) what are the components I would need in either scenario?

Here is the photo of the steering wheel, for reference.

Thanks in advance for your patience in walking me through this.
I have been on other forums where people make negative & condescending comments to someone who is just trying to learn and ask for help.
hey there, sorry, but I missed this post and never responded. Did you buy the car? Still need help?
The following 2 users liked this post by Ivyplaya01:
Porsche advocate (10-13-2023), Rob Blumel (04-23-2024)
Old 08-08-2023, 11:23 PM
BoxCan
AutoX

Hi Ivyplaya01,

Thank you for pointing me to the right direction. I purchased the GPS STMV1 adapter, it arrived today. I will be putting the adapter on the Macan wheel with MF, PDK paddle, heat button, no sport dial. Then I plan to put the wheel on the car soon.

You mentioned in your original post that, after installation and reconnecting the battery, there is some issue with the power window, but it is an easy 10 second fix. I could not find the post you mentioned, can you post the link to that post please?

Thank you.

Quick Reply: 991.1 to 991.2 steering wheel update and upgrade