Sponsored by:

991.1 to 991.2 steering wheel update and upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2022, 05:11 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 1,028 Likes on 612 Posts

Originally Posted by tazmwl
Thanks, bought a Macan multi function steering wheel and the GPS adapter should be here this week, trying to locate an airbag to complete the swap from my 991.1 must function, but sourcing the airbag appears to be the more difficult part of the puzzle.
There are quite a few airbags on ebay assuming you are ok with one from a salvaged car without the airbag deployed. I got a nice full leather one on ebay and it seems great. I have yet to test it LOL (KNOCK ON WOOD)

Old 05-04-2022, 04:29 PM
Wcoastal
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Need some help. Im replacing my 991.1 non MF, sport chrono PDK button wheel with a 991.2 PDK paddle shift, non MF, non heated, no sport chrono wheel, steering wheel.

As soon as I turn the key to on, the horn blares and then it doesn't work. The wheel I got off ebay didn't come with a control module, could this be the cause of the horn going off? Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks
Old 05-04-2022, 05:31 PM
AdamSanta85
Rennlist Member

Received 1,245 Likes on 730 Posts

Originally Posted by Wcoastal
Need some help. Im replacing my 991.1 non MF, sport chrono PDK button wheel with a 991.2 PDK paddle shift, non MF, non heated, no sport chrono wheel, steering wheel.

As soon as I turn the key to on, the horn blares and then it doesn't work. The wheel I got off ebay didn't come with a control module, could this be the cause of the horn going off? Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks
You sure the airbag is seated correctly?

I did same swap in my car, same setup as you, I actually removed that little module as I thought it was for the sport chrono dial.
Old 05-04-2022, 05:58 PM
Wcoastal
4th Gear

Originally Posted by AdamSanta85
You sure the airbag is seated correctly?

I did same swap in my car, same setup as you, I actually removed that little module as I thought it was for the sport chrono dial.
As far as I can tell, the airbag is seated correctly. I thought that might be the problem so i adjusted the airbag plate screws a couple times to see if that made a difference.. still had the same problem. Could it be something with the airbag? I bought it from AGE Styling.
Old 05-04-2022, 06:43 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 1,028 Likes on 612 Posts

Originally Posted by Wcoastal

Thanks

I had this happen to me too, I forget exactly what I did, but it had to do with the switch that controls the horn and the interface with the airbag and things not being fully aligned. You need to check the springs etc that actuate the horn.
Old 05-04-2022, 06:52 PM
Wcoastal
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Joec500
I had this happen to me too, I forget exactly what I did, but it had to do with the switch that controls the horn and the interface with the airbag and things not being fully aligned. You need to check the springs etc that actuate the horn.
Ok. From what I can tell, it looks like the horn is activated by one of the four ball bearing looking contact points?
Old 09-20-2022, 05:39 PM
Divesdeepest
5th Gear

Default Great upgrade

Originally Posted by Ivyplaya01
I agree it felt slightly sketchy buying a takeoff airbag, but it was perfect condition, oem, all the original stickers, etc. I was impressed. If you want the eBay sellers info let me know.
can you send me the sellers details please
Old 09-20-2022, 05:57 PM
Wcoastal
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Divesdeepest

https://agestyling.com.

To their credit, they replaced the defective airbag at no cost to me.
Old 09-20-2022, 06:30 PM
Ivyplaya01
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Divesdeepest
sorry, it was 2019 and my purchase info is no longer accessible in my eBay account, there is one for sale currently on eBay from a Canadian seller. Do eBay search oem porsche macan airbag. It will pop up. The macan airbag works with the 718 and 991, or at least it did for me and looks like for others on here
Old 04-15-2023, 05:56 AM
99-911
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Hi
I'm waking this thread up as I'm planning to do this upgrade in the the next few weeks & I've already bought the wheel, the airbag & GPS X-adapter.
Here is my set-up:

991.1 >> 991.2
PDK buttons >> PDK paddles
SportChrono >> SportChrono Plus (dial)
Multifunction >> Multifunction
Non-Heated >> Heated

Any extra hardware needed?
If PIWIS / dealer coding is required, for which function?
What about "Pull both paddles for neutral" feature?
Any other feature/function lost or gained?

Thank you in advance..
Old 04-15-2023, 08:24 AM
Ivyplaya01
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 99-911
Hi
I'm waking this thread up as I'm planning to do this upgrade in the the next few weeks & I've already bought the wheel, the airbag & GPS X-adapter.
Here is my set-up:

991.1 >> 991.2
PDK buttons >> PDK paddles
SportChrono >> SportChrono Plus (dial)
Multifunction >> Multifunction
Non-Heated >> Heated

Any extra hardware needed?
If PIWIS / dealer coding is required, for which function?
What about "Pull both paddles for neutral" feature?
Any other feature/function lost or gained?

Thank you in advance..

so my understanding is your are going from 991.1 non heated non sport multifunction steering wheel, to a 991.2 mf, heated, sport wheel.

to add heat, you need to replace the clock spring and code car with piwis for heating

Multifunction is already coded, since you had it before

gps x adaptor allows you to use sport chrono dial and allow car to talk to 991.2 wheel

you will not gain the neutral function with paddles. Both my dealer and my indie shop have determined this. Unless your car came with a sport wheel already, aka paddle shifters, and is coded from factory for sport function. If you find out this is not true, let me know. I would love to add this function. I’ve been told it’s impossible though .

good luck. It’s still the best mod I’ve done to my 991.1. Love it. And the GPS team is very helpful with troubleshooting.

Old 04-15-2023, 09:11 AM
skl2
Rennlist Member

Received 286 Likes on 151 Posts

so my understanding is your are going from 991.1 non heated non sport multifunction steering wheel, to a 991.2 mf, heated, sport wheel.

to add heat, you need to replace the clock spring and code car with piwis for heating

gps x adaptor allows you to use sport chrono dial and allow car to talk to 991.2 wheel

you will not gain the neutral function with paddles. Both my dealer and my indie shop have determined this. Unless your car came with a sport wheel already, aka paddle shifters, and is coded from factory for sport function. If you find out this is not true, let me know. I would love to add this function. I’ve been told it’s impossible though .

good luck. It’s still the best mod I’ve done to my 991.1. Love it. And the GPS team is very helpful with troubleshooting.
Having done this on my TTS, I will say make sure you REALLY want heat, because that is the worst part of the swap. I swapped in the new clock spring and thought the car was bricked when i started it. Every code in the world was popping up and beeping at me. I swapped clock spring back and everything cleared on its own (and with durametric). So, when they say you need it coded at a dealer…it’s very much true. I scrapped that part. Everything else is basically plug and play - maybe an hour if you are confident DIYer.

If you want the double paddle natural, just get a Cobb TCU tune…you can select from various modes including the double paddle neutral. it also swaps the + / - on the shift **** to be the correct direction.
Old 04-15-2023, 04:44 PM
99-911
Instructor

Thank you for the input..

yes, from 991.1 MF, non-heated, sport chrono (sport / sport+/ launch indicators) & non-sport (if non-sport = no paddles) >> 991.2 MF, heated with paddles & drive mode dial (not sure what you meant by sport? Paddles or the smaller 360mm GT wheel? new wheel is standard 375mm)

I see .. so to add heat I still need a clock spring & coding, the cost keeps adding up.
not having the "pull both for neutral" is also disappointing.
Old 04-15-2023, 05:05 PM
99-911
Instructor

Originally Posted by skl2
Having done this on my TTS, I will say make sure you REALLY want heat, because that is the worst part of the swap. I swapped in the new clock spring and thought the car was bricked when i started it. Every code in the world was popping up and beeping at me. I swapped clock spring back and everything cleared on its own (and with durametric). So, when they say you need it coded at a dealer…it’s very much true. I scrapped that part. Everything else is basically plug and play - maybe an hour if you are confident DIYer.

If you want the double paddle natural, just get a Cobb TCU tune…you can select from various modes including the double paddle neutral. it also swaps the + / - on the shift **** to be the correct direction.

I was not very keen on having the heat but I thought: while already there, better get the heat as well.
now you're telling me there is extra clock spring & potentially lots of coding, I'm thinking that over.

- can you plz post the part# for the clock spring?
- is it a component of the steering wheel? i.e. should it come installed with the new heated wheel?
- or is it a component of the steering column? & since my car didn't have it from factory I need to add on?

Glad to know that If I decided it's too much hassle to get the heating added, I could forgo that part of the install & still get all other functions.
I'll think about that Cobb solution, but I'm disappointed for not getting that feature with the new wheel/module.
Old 04-15-2023, 07:30 PM
Ivyplaya01
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 99-911

yes, from 991.1 MF, non-heated, sport chrono (sport / sport+/ launch indicators) & non-sport (if non-sport = no paddles) >> 991.2 MF, heated with paddles & drive mode dial (not sure what you meant by sport? Paddles or the smaller 360mm GT wheel? new wheel is standard 375mm)

I see .. so to add heat I still need a clock spring & coding, the cost keeps adding up.
not having the "pull both for neutral" is also disappointing.
my original MF non sport wheel (yes, non sport means no paddle shifters, instead has the thumb shifters, even if it has the sport chrono sport plus indicators on it) had heat, so when I went to the 991.2 sport MF wheel with sport chrono **** I did not have to mess with clock spring, or coding. It was pretty much plug and play. I honestly rarely use the heat function, it gets too hot for my preference. I think it’s because I have the 991.2 sport carbon fiber wheel , and heat just makes the carbon fiber toichcpoints Uber hot. I bet the more insulated all leather wheels disperse the heat better.

In regards to part number for clockspring, I’d have to do some googling. Or maybe it’s even listed for reference on the gps site. The clock spring is behind the steering wheel, part of the steering column where all your stalks come out of.

Quick Reply: 991.1 to 991.2 steering wheel update and upgrade