Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.1 to 991.2 steering wheel update and upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2024, 11:40 AM
Buck366
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Ok, So I accidently bought one of the brand new Chinese Wheels on eBay. My fault Once I got it, I realized that the GPS adapter would not work because the wiring was different. Paul at GPS said, try the wheel without the GPS controller. I installed the wheel over the weekend and guess what. It was completely plug and play. All functions work along with the double paddle neutral. I dint have to take out a programmer or anything 2014 C2S with SC and Sport wheel originally. I was going to return the wheel but its really nice build quality and since its all working, Im going to run it for a while.
The following users liked this post:
q8linux (06-11-2024)
Old 06-11-2024, 12:50 PM
joserpaq
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Buck366
Ok, So I accidently bought one of the brand new Chinese Wheels on eBay. My fault Once I got it, I realized that the GPS adapter would not work because the wiring was different. Paul at GPS said, try the wheel without the GPS controller. I installed the wheel over the weekend and guess what. It was completely plug and play. All functions work along with the double paddle neutral. I dint have to take out a programmer or anything 2014 C2S with SC and Sport wheel originally. I was going to return the wheel but its really nice build quality and since its all working, Im going to run it for a while.
The double paddle neutral is a really nice plus with that wheel. I did a swap to a Macan wheel with a GPS unit and I also have a Cobb tune that should enable the paddle neutral feature but I can't get it to work. I really want that feature so I'd definately take a decent non OEM wheel that offers that feature over what I have now.

Old 06-11-2024, 01:10 PM
olegd
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 159 Posts

Interesting to see how many people are buying these knock off steering wheels.
Is it worth the risk? Can we trust these units and the airbags in case of a collision? Can we be certain that these airbags won't send pieces of the steering wheel flying in all directions, potentially hurting somebody?
cbredesen (06-11-2024)
Old 06-11-2024, 02:38 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,194 Likes on 717 Posts

Originally Posted by olegd
Interesting to see how many people are buying these knock off steering wheels.
Is it worth the risk? Can we trust these units and the airbags in case of a collision? Can we be certain that these airbags won't send pieces of the steering wheel flying in all directions, potentially hurting somebody?
I'd venture to say the same about OEM steering wheels. How can you be sure they will work properly? Remember, faulty air bags were used for decades, even after been tested and OK'd by NHTSA.

Old 06-11-2024, 06:26 PM
olegd
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
I'd venture to say the same about OEM steering wheels. How can you be sure they will work properly? Remember, faulty air bags were used for decades, even after been tested and OK'd by NHTSA.
Well, genuine ones must pass some sort of safety testing. I trust Porsche to deliver a safe product much more than I do some unknown manufacturer out of China. I get your point about the recalled airbag fiasco (Takata) but this was addressed, it took a long time but it was.
Old 06-12-2024, 06:49 PM
joserpaq
Rennlist Member

Has anyone that added 991.2MF wheel been able to activate dual paddle neutral? I've been trying to find how to code to have the dual paddle feature work but I haven't had any luck.

I appreciate it.
Old 06-13-2024, 04:40 PM
peteburrito
AutoX

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by joserpaq
Has anyone that added 991.2MF wheel been able to activate dual paddle neutral? I've been trying to find how to code to have the dual paddle feature work but I haven't had any luck.

I appreciate it.
was your old wheel MF or sport design?
I have dual paddle neutral on new wheel.
No coding, 991.1 sport design wheel -> 991.2 MF wheel with GPS STMV1 adaptor.
Car does have sport chrono (not sure if this makes a difference).
Old 06-13-2024, 08:14 PM
joserpaq
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by peteburrito
was your old wheel MF or sport design?
I have dual paddle neutral on new wheel.
No coding, 991.1 sport design wheel -> 991.2 MF wheel with GPS STMV1 adaptor.
Car does have sport chrono (not sure if this makes a difference).
I went from 991.1MF wheel with buttons to 991.2MF wheel with paddles. In your case you still have the 4th stalk as well as MF wheel?
Old 06-14-2024, 12:04 AM
peteburrito
AutoX

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by joserpaq
I went from 991.1MF wheel with buttons to 991.2MF wheel with paddles. In your case you still have the 4th stalk as well as MF wheel?
yep, both the MF wheel controls and the 4th stalk work for digital dash control, I wasn't sure what was all involved with removing the 4th stalk so I've just left it for not, not really in the way.
Old 06-21-2024, 01:43 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 194 Likes on 134 Posts

What does it take to add the dial **** to the steering wheel? I know the bezel has to change, and add the dial hardware. But what about where it gets connected inside the steering wheel? Does the existing module have a free connection for it? And will it automatically recognize that the dial is connected? If so, is it just OBD2 coding to get things configured or would it need piwis?

Mine has heat and all the other media/phone buttons/wheels.

Last edited by wkearney99; 06-23-2024 at 11:19 AM.
Old 06-22-2024, 12:42 AM
Rosie39j
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

Mine didn’t work when I first did the swap. Dealership coded it for ,e while in for service. Works k but a little sporadic, unless I’m just not pulling them right…
Old 06-28-2024, 05:24 PM
AP3X_FTW
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would appreciated if those of you with direct experience can chime in regarding my plans to ensure I've got everything right. This thread has been a great resource, but I'm not not 100% sure I have all my ducks in a row for the swap.

Current: 991.1 GTS PDK with multi-function steering wheel

Looking to convert to the following setup for a clean/minimalist look:

GT Sport Alcantara Steering Wheel
- No multifunction (I'll install the fourth stalk instead)
- No sport Chrono (I'll use the button on the center console)
- No heated functionality

Will of course still need need to purchase the respective airbag from ebay or another source.

Questions:
- Since I'm going with the non-multifunction wheel, I will need to purchase and install the fourth stalk to be able to navigate the menu options on the cluster. Does anyone have a part # for this item, and can you comment on how easy or difficult it is to install?
- Any coding needed from the dealer to make the 4th stalk work?
- Last, since I'm going with a non-multifunction, non-heated, and non-sport chrono wheel, do I still need the GPS adapter? I wouldn't think so as there are no buttons/functions that need communications...

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by AP3X_FTW; 06-28-2024 at 05:26 PM.
Old 06-28-2024, 05:38 PM
Rosie39j
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

This has been my favorite upgrade - changed out the 991.1 wheel to the 991.2 sport multifunction. Makes a huge difference in looks and feel from drivers seat. Was super easy, once I figured out that the guy I bought the steering wheel from forgot to send me the control module. He sent it once I had bought one from Porsche (so that one is on the classifieds here, as is my 991.1 wheel and airbag). I used the GPS adaptor for multifunction. Dealer coded for the pull back neutral, but as I said above it’s sporadic. Overall an easy upgrade, well worth the $1500 or so it cost. Also added the stick on carbon fiber paddle extenders from Suncoast - really high quality and have a great feel to them. Before and after pics attached.

Old 06-28-2024, 06:12 PM
Oleg Car Improvements
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 60 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by AP3X_FTW
I would appreciated if those of you with direct experience can chime in regarding my plans to ensure I've got everything right. This thread has been a great resource, but I'm not not 100% sure I have all my ducks in a row for the swap.

Current: 991.1 GTS PDK with multi-function steering wheel

Looking to convert to the following setup for a clean/minimalist look:

GT Sport Alcantara Steering Wheel
- No multifunction (I'll install the fourth stalk instead)
- No sport Chrono (I'll use the button on the center console)
- No heated functionality

Will of course still need need to purchase the respective airbag from ebay or another source.

Questions:
- Since I'm going with the non-multifunction wheel, I will need to purchase and install the fourth stalk to be able to navigate the menu options on the cluster. Does anyone have a part # for this item, and can you comment on how easy or difficult it is to install?
- Any coding needed from the dealer to make the 4th stalk work?
- Last, since I'm going with a non-multifunction, non-heated, and non-sport chrono wheel, do I still need the GPS adapter? I wouldn't think so as there are no buttons/functions that need communications...

Thanks in advance!
If I can give you some advise, I would recommend keeping multifunction functionality. Your car is configured for it, why not take advantage? And I believe the mf steering wheel costs less than the blank one. Use the money saved to buy the gps adapter.

Rosie39j (06-28-2024)
Old 06-28-2024, 07:23 PM
AP3X_FTW
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Oleg Car Improvements
If I can give you some advise, I would recommend keeping multifunction functionality. Your car is configured for it, why not take advantage? And I believe the mf steering wheel costs less than the blank one. Use the money saved to buy the gps adapter.
I appreciate where you're coming from, but I strongly prefer the clean look of the non-MF wheel. When it comes to P-cars, I'm more in the camp of less is more. If I want comfort, tech and infotainment, I'm grabbing a different set of car keys

My thought process was that I could spend an extra ~$400 for the more appealing (to me) non-MF wheel since I won't need to purchase the $400 gps adapter. As you said, pricing comes out to be about the same either way, it'd just a matter of preferences.

Last edited by AP3X_FTW; 06-28-2024 at 07:24 PM.

Quick Reply: 991.1 to 991.2 steering wheel update and upgrade