Sponsored by:

991.1 to 991.2 steering wheel update and upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2022, 11:00 AM
skl2
Rennlist Member

Received 285 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by Ivyplaya01
i did this upgrade for my 991.1 gts. Mine went from multifunction wheel to new multifunction wheel though. From what I recall, if you want to add multifunction capability, it requires more than just gps adaptor. The gps adaptor is needed to make the pass dial work as well as heated steering wheel: to add multifunction capability I think you need to replace the clock spring. And I believe you’ll need the dealer or independent ship to code it. I’ll see if I can find the thread that discusses this.
Interesting. I am wondering if it makes things more simple to simply swap to a 991.2 GT wheel, no MF, no heat, no dial. From everything I see, its a direct swap with the wheel and airbag.
Old 02-13-2022, 11:02 AM
Ivyplaya01
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by skl2
Interesting. I am wondering if it makes things more simple to simply swap to a 991.2 GT wheel, no MF, no heat, no dial. From everything I see, its a direct swap with the wheel and airbag.
yeah, I’m fairly certain that would be the easiest plug and play method. Bummer to lose your heating option though
Old 02-13-2022, 11:05 AM
skl2
Rennlist Member

yeah, I’m fairly certain that would be the easiest plug and play method. Bummer to lose your heating option though
The current wheel is the sport wheel, non-heat...so I dont really lose it

Old 02-13-2022, 11:05 AM
skl2
Rennlist Member

cant seem to find it. But yuan Lee from gps adaptor is super helpful with questions- I can pretty much guarantee he will know the answer to this.
I might still shoot him a note just to see what he thinks.good suggestion.
Old 02-13-2022, 11:17 AM
skl2
Rennlist Member

Doing more reading, want to make sure I dont lose launch control activation either. Didnt even think of that... I am not sure I would ever do launch control but want to have the option!

Old 02-13-2022, 11:31 AM
Ivyplaya01
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Doing more reading, want to make sure I dont lose launch control activation either. Didnt even think of that... I am not sure I would ever do launch control but want to have the option!
you will not lose launch control

you might lose the ability to do neutral control (ie pulling both paddles backward to put car in neutral)- but I think if your car was coded for a sport wheel, then it should keep that function. I went from a non sport multifunction wheel to a sport wheel and my car cannot be coded for the neutral function. At least that’s what my dealer has told me. I’m going to ask my indie shop at the next servicing I have scheduled (pdcc service) later this month if they know a trick to turn on the neutral paddle shifter function.
Old 02-13-2022, 11:32 AM
AdamSanta85
Rennlist Member

Received 1,233 Likes on 724 Posts

That’s what I just did the other day, had same original setup as you, 100% plug and play.

————-

FWIW I don’t think you need to replace your clock spring for MF since you have the sport chrono indicators on your original wheel which use the same MF protocol. I looked into it but decided I wanted the cleaner wheel and didn’t want to buy adapters etc.

You can get more button features with a PIWIS but it’s not needed I don’t think

https://gpsadapter.us/blogs/installation-guide/upgrade-sport-style-steering-wheel-to-multifunction-coding-guide

Last edited by AdamSanta85; 02-13-2022 at 11:39 AM.
Old 02-13-2022, 02:04 PM
skl2
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AdamSanta85
That’s what I just did the other day, had same original setup as you, 100% plug and play.

————-

FWIW I don’t think you need to replace your clock spring for MF since you have the sport chrono indicators on your original wheel which use the same MF protocol. I looked into it but decided I wanted the cleaner wheel and didn’t want to buy adapters etc.

https://gpsadapter.us/blogs/installa...n-coding-guide

Looks awesome, and great info...thank you!
Old 02-14-2022, 03:21 AM
bsitebsitebsite
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Is it an option to take out the airbag from the original steering wheel into the new one? Is it a dud when you try to remove it from the old one?
Old 02-14-2022, 07:26 AM
skl2
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bsitebsitebsite
Is it an option to take out the airbag from the original steering wheel into the new one? Is it a dud when you try to remove it from the old one?
if the question is if you can remove and reuse an airbag, yes. If the question is can you take the bag from a .1 wheel and reuse it in the .2 wheel, no because it won’t fit.
The following users liked this post:
bsitebsitebsite (02-14-2022)
Old 02-14-2022, 01:29 PM
bsitebsitebsite
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

if the question is if you can remove and reuse an airbag, yes. If the question is can you take the bag from a .1 wheel and reuse it in the .2 wheel, no because it won’t fit.
Ah that makes sense, thanks!
Old 03-20-2022, 08:36 PM
tazmwl
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you remember the seller, how did you confirm proper airbag for the steering wheel
Old 03-20-2022, 08:47 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 1,020 Likes on 606 Posts

Originally Posted by AdamSanta85

————-

https://gpsadapter.us/blogs/installa...n-coding-guide

I like how thick your wheel is. Everything looks awesome except you have extra paddles and missing a pedal
The following users liked this post:
AdamSanta85 (03-20-2022)
Old 03-21-2022, 09:58 AM
skl2
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tazmwl
Do you remember the seller, how did you confirm proper airbag for the steering wheel
Btw this thread and Adam everything is here to ensure you get the right setup. I ended up with a Macan part number airbag and had to order from Germany. Should be here April 5th and that’s the last piece before I can do the swap. I’ll post pics and info when I complete it.
Old 03-21-2022, 04:04 PM
tazmwl
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks, bought a Macan multi function steering wheel and the GPS adapter should be here this week, trying to locate an airbag to complete the swap from my 991.1 must function, but sourcing the airbag appears to be the more difficult part of the puzzle.

Quick Reply: 991.1 to 991.2 steering wheel update and upgrade