Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.1 to 991.2 steering wheel update and upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2024, 01:20 PM
thegenius
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 28 Posts

Does anyone have a good picture of where they positioned the gpsadapter in the steering wheel? I followed the instructions and can't get it to look like in the picture. There isn't enough room between the steering wheel module and the edge. The gpsadapter is sitting a little too high and is slightly pushing the airbag up. The airbag is not sitting as flush as as it should when I look at it from the side.
Looking at it from the front it looks fine.

Thanks
Old 01-11-2024, 10:40 PM
thegenius
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by thegenius
Does anyone have a good picture of where they positioned the gpsadapter in the steering wheel? I followed the instructions and can't get it to look like in the picture. There isn't enough room between the steering wheel module and the edge. The gpsadapter is sitting a little too high and is slightly pushing the airbag up. The airbag is not sitting as flush as as it should when I look at it from the side.

Thanks
I'll just add that after having the new steering wheel for some time, I have to say that the mode dial switch is one of the most useless gadgets in the history of automobile...
Old 01-12-2024, 12:23 PM
MikePcar
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I’m having the exact same issue and with the same ohm readings. I purchased a wheel/airbag combo off eBay and found that the harness that plugged into the clock spring wouldn’t fully seat. I put the old setup in, harness fit easily and the airbag light was able to be cleared. I’m not sure if I should return it and buy OEM or replace the harness and possibly the control module with an oem part. Did you figure out your issue?
Old 01-12-2024, 12:26 PM
MikePcar
4th Gear

Originally Posted by 99one4s
Hi everyone. I need some help and hoping this community can come to my rescue! Here is my situation:

991.2 GT wheel into a 991.1
Manual Gearbox
no MF -> no MF
no heat -> no heat
just airbag

I expected this to be plug and play no adapters needed.

I am getting a stage 2 below threshold error that I cannot clear. See pic of ohm readings. If I put the old wheel/airbag back on, everything works and ohm readings match.

I have tried 2 airbags, 2 wiring harnesses, and I have confirmed with Paul at GPS that no adapter is needed for just an airbag. Yet, same issue.

I’m not sure what else to try as this is probably the most basic swap. Dealer is no help and haven’t found an expert in the area that has experience in this space. Everyone tells me it’s plug and play.

Anyone have any ideas? I really like this wheel. Help!

I’m having the exact same issue and with the same ohm readings. I purchased a wheel/airbag combo off eBay and found that the harness that plugged into the clock spring wouldn’t fully seat. I put the old setup in, harness fit easily and the airbag light was able to be cleared. I’m not sure if I should return it and buy OEM or replace the harness and possibly the control module with an oem part. Did you figure out your issue?
Old 01-12-2024, 12:36 PM
Larson E. Rapp
Pro

Received 429 Likes on 261 Posts

I'll just add that after having the new steering wheel for some time, I have to say that the mode dial switch is one of the most useless gadgets in the history of automobile...
Yeah, there's not much point in using it with a manual car. The 'correct' steering wheel replacement for a 9x1 manual car (and arguably for PDK cars as well) is one without the mode dial.

No clue on the fit and resistance issues, unfortunately. This is why I decided to spend the big bucks for known-working part numbers.

Last edited by Larson E. Rapp; 01-12-2024 at 02:34 PM.
The following users liked this post:
GermanCarFan1 (02-02-2024)
Old 01-12-2024, 03:18 PM
99one4s
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Still working on it

Not yet, but still researching it. I have tried two different wiring harnesses and two different airbags. Both identical issue was found.

While the harness was harder to seat, it did seat. And all of my stuff was OEM. I stopped short of ordering a new wheel, but I’m still testing some things. If you try new things and get the same or different results, please share. Thanks! -Dean

QUOTE=MikePcar;19214806]I’m having the exact same issue and with the same ohm readings. I purchased a wheel/airbag combo off eBay and found that the harness that plugged into the clock spring wouldn’t fully seat. I put the old setup in, harness fit easily and the airbag light was able to be cleared. I’m not sure if I should return it and buy OEM or replace the harness and possibly the control module with an oem part. Did you figure out your issue?[/QUOTE]
Old 01-12-2024, 03:33 PM
MikePcar
4th Gear

Originally Posted by 99one4s
Not yet, but still researching it. I have tried two different wiring harnesses and two different airbags. Both identical issue was found.

While the harness was harder to seat, it did seat. And all of my stuff was OEM. I stopped short of ordering a new wheel, but I’m still testing some things. If you try new things and get the same or different results, please share. Thanks! -Dean

QUOTE=MikePcar;19214806]I’m having the exact same issue and with the same ohm readings. I purchased a wheel/airbag combo off eBay and found that the harness that plugged into the clock spring wouldn’t fully seat. I put the old setup in, harness fit easily and the airbag light was able to be cleared. I’m not sure if I should return it and buy OEM or replace the harness and possibly the control module with an oem part. Did you figure out your issue?
[/QUOTE]

Thanks Dean for your reply, I ordered my wheels set from eBay, and it claimed to be OEM. Upon further inspection, I noticed none of the OEM stickers were on the control module, or anywhere else on the wheel for that matter. The harness on the new wheel would go about 3/4 of the way in, but would never fully seat and pop the orange tab up. When I reinstalled the original wheel, the harness went in very easily and the orange tab connected. I fear that the control module and harness is a clone and probably the culprit of my issue. I think I’m going to return it and just order from Suncoast or alike. Let me know if you find any solutions as well and good luck.
Old 01-12-2024, 03:42 PM
99one4s
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good to know. The harness is tricky. You can’t order it by itself so you would have to order the wheel that comes with the harness (no ABS). I have thought about that. I know my wheel and airbags are OEM based on metal stamps and stickers on the airbags, but the harness is hard to tell. There is no module with mine as I only have airbags so it’s a pretty simple wiring harness. If you have any electronics, then you will certainly need the GPS adapter. It’s been very frustrating, so I’m happy to partner and try to solve. What year and model do you have? I’m gonna put my old wheel back on again this weekend and make sure everything is good. (Dealer already did that too) and then I may start looking at option. My wheel is custom and I really love it, so not gonna change, but we’ll see if I need to buy one for the $50 harness! Ugh! Let me know if you figure something out. My email is dean.e.cooper@gmail.com. Thanks!

QUOTE=MikePcar;19215174][/QUOTE]

Thanks Dean for your reply, I ordered my wheels set from eBay, and it claimed to be OEM. Upon further inspection, I noticed none of the OEM stickers were on the control module, or anywhere else on the wheel for that matter. The harness on the new wheel would go about 3/4 of the way in, but would never fully seat and pop the orange tab up. When I reinstalled the original wheel, the harness went in very easily and the orange tab connected. I fear that the control module and harness is a clone and probably the culprit of my issue. I think I’m going to return it and just order from Suncoast or alike. Let me know if you find any solutions as well and good luck.[/QUOTE]
Old 01-13-2024, 01:12 PM
thegenius
Rennlist Member

Thanks
I figured this one out. The bottom screw of the mounting plate wasn't fastened enough.
For the gpsadapter it wasn't really pushing on the airbag but I found a better way to place it. It needs to slide backwards to be totally out of the way.
All good now.

Old 01-20-2024, 07:11 PM
TXGerman
Rennlist Member

Received 191 Likes on 90 Posts

Adding this here in case anyone upgrading to a .2 MF steering wheel also wants to change out the chrome bits for black plastic trim pieces.
Part numbers below for the black parts.
Multiswitch (black) 95B-998-537-6N3
Lower Spoke Trim (black) 95B-419-938-H-5Q0

Before:

After:

The following 3 users liked this post by TXGerman:
Larson E. Rapp (01-21-2024), MikePcar (01-20-2024), mikey0120 (01-21-2024)
Old 01-21-2024, 03:10 PM
Imola02
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

I hate being reminded how much I feel the .1 multi funcion wheel malkes the car look dated. 3K for the setup is my struggle. Any regrets from those that pulled the trigger?
Old 01-21-2024, 03:41 PM
ramiy
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I changed my steering on my 981, i always thought that the interior biggest flaw was the steering and sometimes feel it was eye sore, now it just feels right.

pull the trigger buddy, you will smile more when driving
The following 2 users liked this post by ramiy:
jesm (01-22-2024), Larson E. Rapp (01-21-2024)
Old 01-21-2024, 06:58 PM
Larson E. Rapp
Pro

Received 429 Likes on 261 Posts

Do it.
Old 01-30-2024, 05:21 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 194 Likes on 134 Posts

Is the metal frame different if you don't have the mode wheel? I'd be tempted to add the wheel to a 991.2 but wonder just how much as to change.
Old 01-30-2024, 05:47 PM
digitalrootdeity
AutoX

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Imola02
I hate being reminded how much I feel the .1 multi funcion wheel malkes the car look dated. 3K for the setup is my struggle. Any regrets from those that pulled the trigger?
I was able to pick mine up off eBay once I found a listing for a GT wheel that had MF, SC, PDK, no heat, plus airbag in black. Then bought the $500 GPS adapter. All in at $1800. Very much worth it, but I also did not mind it being "used" even though it looks brand new.

Quick Reply: 991.1 to 991.2 steering wheel update and upgrade