Sponsored by:

991.1 to 991.2 steering wheel update and upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2021, 03:48 PM
uphoto
Pro

Received 316 Likes on 133 Posts

Sorry for not updating sooner!

This was a fairly simple job BUT didn't go as planned really as I didn't realize that there was much more to it if you are converting to a heated wheel!

So I was going from an MF PDK wheel that is not heated to a 991.2/Macan MF non SC, heated wheel, and airbag, I didn't want the dial and am used to using the "sports" buttons in the center console.

I ended up getting a clockspring from German Auto Parts, great people, and great price! I used the STVM-1H adapter too. Everything installed great, most work was prepping the new wheel with the adapter but not a big deal and again a pretty simple job. What I wasn't aware of was that when putting in a new heated clockspring you need to have the whole thing programmed by porsche to get ANYTHING to work! When I installed the clockspring and new wheel I went to turn on the car and got all kinds of errors and nothing on the wheel worked at all! Paddles didn't work, none of the buttons, nothing. There are instructions on the GPS website that show you what you need to do and I wasn't aware of that ahead of time.

So I took everything off and re-installed the original clockspring and then put the new wheel on and everything worked perfectly! I do have an error that says "Steering support restricted. Adapted Driving permitted" that I still need to look into that I think comes from disconnecting the battery and the clockspring needing to be recalibrated but I'll get around to that later today I think. The only thing that doesn't work is it doesn't go into neutral when you pull back both paddles.

I'm not sure if I really want to go the way of the heated wheel, I bought the clockspring, the wheel is heated and I installed the new micro switch that GPS provides but my local dealer kind of sucks and I'm sure they would have issues with this programming. Anyone else adapt to a heated wheel? How was it at the dealer getting it programmed? I guess you need to purchase a digital key too? Or something like that?

BUT the car is how it should have been originally now, the paddles make a NIGHT AND DAY difference in the enjoyment of the car. The shift buttons are the worst design I can think of when it comes to enjoying the PDK gearbox, the paddles make it all worth it!

Last edited by uphoto; 03-17-2021 at 03:50 PM.
The following users liked this post:
bms0918 (03-17-2021)
Old 03-17-2021, 04:23 PM
bms0918
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Would love to know the part number for the heated clock spring. I'm looking at doing this same change to my 991.1, moving from 991.1 MF non-heated to a 991.2 MF, heated steering wheel.

Thanks!
Old 03-17-2021, 04:47 PM
uphoto
Pro

Received 316 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by bms0918
Would love to know the part number for the heated clock spring. I'm looking at doing this same change to my 991.1, moving from 991.1 MF non-heated to a 991.2 MF, heated steering wheel.

Thanks!
958 652 568 14 should be the one.
Old 03-17-2021, 07:08 PM
daveyator
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 43 Posts

I have a slightly different question related to this thread. I have a 991.2 GTS with PDK but with a non multi function GT wheel. Can I simply bolt in and swap my airbag in a multi function/heated GT wheel without going to the dealer for coding? My local one says they won’t without me buying the steering wheel from them.
Old 03-17-2021, 09:34 PM
isugoo
Rennlist Member

Received 278 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by daveyator
I have a slightly different question related to this thread. I have a 991.2 GTS with PDK but with a non multi function GT wheel. Can I simply bolt in and swap my airbag in a multi function/heated GT wheel without going to the dealer for coding? My local one says they won’t without me buying the steering wheel from them.
I believe. you need a multi function module.

If you look at suncoastparts.com, they sell multi function module.
Old 03-20-2021, 07:36 PM
Nysesquire786
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Loving the upgrade!! Great Post. I'm saving this as my next mod.
Old 03-22-2021, 11:16 AM
RSBro
Pro

Received 135 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Visual
If you mean whether or not you need an adapter, then no, you don't. The adapter is only for if you want the multi-function buttons or heating to work. It's a direct plug and play with no errors in the instrument cluster despite certain vendors saying you'll get an airbag light. I bought both the steering wheel and airbag used from Ebay, I didn't order through a Porsche parts dealer. The wheel has the mode dial and buttons, but I didn't buy an adapter because I have a multi-function stalk since I had the base non-MF wheel, and it's working fine after installation, paddles function as intended without needing the adapter.
Thanks for the confirmation on this. Indeed, Suncoast told me numerous times I'd get an error by 'just' swapping a non-MF wheel for a non-MF wheel which made no sense, but they are the 'experts' so I hadn't moved forward on the project.

I'll start looking around for a 991.2 wheel/airbag combo and get this thing installed!
Old 03-22-2021, 03:11 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 1,020 Likes on 606 Posts

Originally Posted by RSBro
Thanks for the confirmation on this. Indeed, Suncoast told me numerous times I'd get an error by 'just' swapping a non-MF wheel for a non-MF wheel which made no sense, but they are the 'experts' so I hadn't moved forward on the project.

I'll start looking around for a 991.2 wheel/airbag combo and get this thing installed!
Def NOT, I have done this swap on my manual car with ZERO issues.
RSBro (03-23-2021)
Old 03-23-2021, 12:31 PM
RSBro
Pro

Originally Posted by Joec500
Def NOT, I have done this swap on my manual car with ZERO issues.
Excellent, thank you also!
Old 03-23-2021, 12:40 PM
RSBro
Pro

Do these seem legit?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-Porsche...cAAOSwoNpesJY~

https://www.ebay.com/itm/PORSCHE-911....c100752.m1982

https://www.ebay.com/itm/PORSCHE-911....c100752.m1982
Old 02-13-2022, 09:49 AM
skl2
Rennlist Member

Received 285 Likes on 150 Posts

This thread has been awesome to follow as I plan a steering wheel upgrade on my new to me 991TTS. I have read thru the whole thing, so hopefully I am not bumping and asking a variant of a question already answered, but if so, apologies and I guess just seeking one more confirmation before I pull the trigger. The car currently has the sport wheel with paddles, non-MF, non-heat but it does have the little lights showing what mode you're in. I would like to swap to a 991.2 GT sport wheel. I dont care about the little dial to select sport mode settings (ill still use the buttons). My question is related to adding MF capability...is that a direct swap or do I need a dealer? I know I need it for heating, but I dont care to add heating. Right now, here are the parts I would plan to buy:

GT sport wheel - PDK - no sport chrono (i assume sport chrono is the dial and dont want that)
airbag

If MF is direct swap, I would probably add it. If it takes modules, etc, Ill just keep it a simple swap.

TIA for confirming.

bzalforno (02-20-2024)
Old 02-13-2022, 10:15 AM
AdamSanta85
Rennlist Member

Received 1,233 Likes on 724 Posts

Originally Posted by skl2
This thread has been awesome to follow as I plan a steering wheel upgrade on my new to me 991TTS. I have read thru the whole thing, so hopefully I am not bumping and asking a variant of a question already answered, but if so, apologies and I guess just seeking one more confirmation before I pull the trigger. The car currently has the sport wheel with paddles, non-MF, non-heat but it does have the little lights showing what mode you're in. I would like to swap to a 991.2 GT sport wheel. I dont care about the little dial to select sport mode settings (ill still use the buttons). My question is related to adding MF capability...is that a direct swap or do I need a dealer? I know I need it for heating, but I dont care to add heating. Right now, here are the parts I would plan to buy:

GT sport wheel - PDK - no sport chrono (i assume sport chrono is the dial and dont want that)
airbag

If MF is direct swap, I would probably add it. If it takes modules, etc, Ill just keep it a simple swap.

TIA for confirming.
Pretty sure you just need the GPS brand adapter to get MF to work for your setup.
Old 02-13-2022, 10:44 AM
skl2
Rennlist Member

Received 285 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by AdamSanta85
Pretty sure you just need the GPS brand adapter to get MF to work for your setup.
got it. I understood the gps brand adapter was to make the sport chrono dial work. Didn’t realize that was also for MF. Thx for the info.
Old 02-13-2022, 10:49 AM
Ivyplaya01
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by skl2
got it. I understood the gps brand adapter was to make the sport chrono dial work. Didn’t realize that was also for MF. Thx for the info.
i did this upgrade for my 991.1 gts. Mine went from multifunction wheel to new multifunction wheel though. From what I recall, if you want to add multifunction capability, it requires more than just gps adaptor. The gps adaptor is needed to make the pass dial work as well as heated steering wheel: to add multifunction capability I think you need to replace the clock spring. And I believe you’ll need the dealer or independent ship to code it. I’ll see if I can find the thread that discusses this.
Old 02-13-2022, 10:59 AM
Ivyplaya01
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Ivyplaya01
i did this upgrade for my 991.1 gts. Mine went from multifunction wheel to new multifunction wheel though. From what I recall, if you want to add multifunction capability, it requires more than just gps adaptor. The gps adaptor is needed to make the pass dial work as well as heated steering wheel: to add multifunction capability I think you need to replace the clock spring. And I believe you’ll need the dealer or independent ship to code it. I’ll see if I can find the thread that discusses this.
cant seem to find it. But yuan Lee from gps adaptor is super helpful with questions- I can pretty much guarantee he will know the answer to this.

Quick Reply: 991.1 to 991.2 steering wheel update and upgrade