Sponsored by:

991.1 to 991.2 steering wheel update and upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2019, 11:08 PM
Ivyplaya01
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Ivyplaya01
its possible they only sold the carbon fiber steering wheel in those two colors. Not sure though
looks like they have it in non multifunction form, espresso with paddle shifters in 991.2 style. I would give suncoast a call and see if they are able to special order a multi function version in espresso. They actually had to special order my carbon fiber wheel from germany- they were out of stock and made it to order. Only took a month. They may just not show all the options on their website

Old 12-01-2019, 11:25 PM
Ivyplaya01
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by r00t61
So I was looking at Suncoast to see which steering wheel I would need. My 991.1 has an Espresso interior, and my current multifunction steering wheel is finished in that same leather.

But on Suncoast, the only finish options for the 991.2 multifunction GT steering wheel with control **** are Black; Agate; and Beige.

Is this right? Did 991.2 cars only come with steering wheels in these leather colors, no matter what the overall interior color was?
found it. Look under Macan or Panamera steering wheel options. They will work with 991s using correct gps adapter-x. Here’s one with carbon fiber and espresso option

Old 12-01-2019, 11:33 PM
Ivyplaya01
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by r00t61
So I was looking at Suncoast to see which steering wheel I would need. My 991.1 has an Espresso interior, and my current multifunction steering wheel is finished in that same leather.

But on Suncoast, the only finish options for the 991.2 multifunction GT steering wheel with control **** are Black; Agate; and Beige.

Is this right? Did 991.2 cars only come with steering wheels in these leather colors, no matter what the overall interior color was?
heres someone who retrofitted theirs in espresso. Looks awesome

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1005...t-success.html

Old 12-02-2019, 12:23 AM
Roswell88
Burning Brakes

Received 365 Likes on 191 Posts

just sold it today to a fellow rennlister! Worked out perfectly!
Smart move! I’m glad it all worked out perfectly
Old 03-03-2021, 08:14 PM
uphoto
Pro

Received 316 Likes on 133 Posts

Sorry to bump this older topic but I have a question that relates to this, I tried to ask the GPS guys but I think something was lost in translation.

I have a 991.1 with a MF steering wheel with PDK buttons.

I want to upgrade to a Macan PDK paddle, MF wheel with no mode selector button (I would rather still use my stock sport/sport plus buttons)

Is it possible to use the new style wheel with paddles, MF and no heat and use the GPS STVM-1 adapter and use the stock sport button? Or do I have to use the mode selector type wheel and the X-adapter?

Old 03-03-2021, 08:50 PM
Ivyplaya01
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by uphoto
Sorry to bump this older topic but I have a question that relates to this, I tried to ask the GPS guys but I think something was lost in translation.

I want to upgrade to a Macan PDK paddle, MF wheel with no mode selector button (I would rather still use my stock sport/sport plus buttons)

Is it possible to use the new style wheel with paddles, MF and no heat and use the GPS STVM-1 adapter and use the stock sport button? Or do I have to use the mode selector type wheel and the X-adapter?
Im pretty sure that what you are wanting to do is specifically what the stvm-1 adaptor is for. Allows you to upgrade to a 991.2 wheel that doesn’t have the mode selector dial. You just use your center console drive select buttons.

Its funny, I did the 991.2 upgrade with the dial using ththe x adaptor , and I almost never use the dial. All ways use the console buttons. Just habit i guess.
Old 03-03-2021, 09:03 PM
uphoto
Pro

Im pretty sure that what you are wanting to do is specifically what the stvm-1 adaptor is for. Allows you to upgrade to a 991.2 wheel that doesn’t have the mode selector dial. You just use your center console drive select buttons.

Its funny, I did the 991.2 upgrade with the dial using ththe x adaptor , and I almost never use the dial. All ways use the console buttons. Just habit i guess.
That's what I was wondering too but then thought maybe that adapter is for just for non sports chrono cars? Not sure why the sports button wouldn't work anymore, I guess it wouldn't show in the steering wheel but who cares?
Old 03-03-2021, 09:52 PM
Ivyplaya01
Rennlist Member

That's what I was wondering too but then thought maybe that adapter is for just for non sports chrono cars? Not sure why the sports button wouldn't work anymore, I guess it wouldn't show in the steering wheel but who cares?
nope your existing console buttons will continue to work.

the x adaptor essentially adds a Bluetooth module that allows the sport plus dial on the 991.2 style steering wheel to communicate to the ecu/console buttons.

the other adaptor allows you to just use your existing console buttons, but enables your 991.1 car to communicate properly with a 991.2 style steering wheel conversion and allow all the multifunction buttons on the wheel to work (volume, telephone, heating etc)
The following users liked this post:
uphoto (03-03-2021)
Old 03-03-2021, 10:44 PM
uphoto
Pro

Thank you!
Old 03-12-2021, 03:58 PM
uphoto
Pro

Should have everything I need for doing this swap this weekend!

MF, heated wheel from a Macan
Airbag from a macan
Heated clockspring (my MF wheel wasn’t heated)
Adapter from GPS

My original setup is the 991.1 MF wheel

Anybody know if I will have to get the wheel programmed at the dealer? All MF should work with the adapter but will the programmable button work? Will the neutral function work? How about heated wheel?

Or will I need to go to the dealer to get those functions to work?
Old 03-12-2021, 11:10 PM
Visual
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 32 Posts

Should have everything I need for doing this swap this weekend!

MF, heated wheel from a Macan
Airbag from a macan
Heated clockspring (my MF wheel wasn’t heated)
Adapter from GPS

My original setup is the 991.1 MF wheel

Anybody know if I will have to get the wheel programmed at the dealer? All MF should work with the adapter but will the programmable button work? Will the neutral function work? How about heated wheel?

Or will I need to go to the dealer to get those functions to work?
Getting the heat function will require programming at the dealer or anyone else with access to a PIWIS. The paddles should work by default, so neutral function should work, mine did without the GPS adapter. Pretty sure the steering wheel buttons will work too once you have the adapter installed. It's just activating the heated function that definitely requires programming.
Old 03-13-2021, 01:42 AM
uphoto
Pro

Originally Posted by Visual
Getting the heat function will require programming at the dealer or anyone else with access to a PIWIS. The paddles should work by default, so neutral function should work, mine did without the GPS adapter. Pretty sure the steering wheel buttons will work too once you have the adapter installed. It's just activating the heated function that definitely requires programming.
Appreciate it. WIll pull the wheel tomorrow morning but tonight I installed the adapter so that it's all ready to put together easily tomorrow.
Old 03-17-2021, 09:42 AM
RSBro
Pro

Received 135 Likes on 93 Posts

Appreciate it. WIll pull the wheel tomorrow morning but tonight I installed the adapter so that it's all ready to put together easily tomorrow.
How did you make out with this swap? I never could get a firm yes/no on any questions I had in the other thread on this. I have a 991.1 non-MF wheel with buttons, and I JUST want a 991.2 Sport or Macan wheel with paddles to work... no wheel button. I also have Sport Chrono.
What wheel and airbag did you get, and where did you buy it from?
Old 03-17-2021, 01:51 PM
Visual
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by RSBro
How did you make out with this swap? I never could get a firm yes/no on any questions I had in the other thread on this. I have a 991.1 non-MF wheel with buttons, and I JUST want a 991.2 Sport or Macan wheel with paddles to work... no wheel button. I also have Sport Chrono.
What wheel and airbag did you get, and where did you buy it from?
If you mean whether or not you need an adapter, then no, you don't. The adapter is only for if you want the multi-function buttons or heating to work. It's a direct plug and play with no errors in the instrument cluster despite certain vendors saying you'll get an airbag light. I bought both the steering wheel and airbag used from Ebay, I didn't order through a Porsche parts dealer. The wheel has the mode dial and buttons, but I didn't buy an adapter because I have a multi-function stalk since I had the base non-MF wheel, and it's working fine after installation, paddles function as intended without needing the adapter.
The following users liked this post:
RSBro (03-22-2021)
Old 03-17-2021, 02:53 PM
97supratt
Rennlist Member

Received 279 Likes on 182 Posts

You can use both the buttons on the center panel and the steering wheel if you get the adapter.

Quick Reply: 991.1 to 991.2 steering wheel update and upgrade