Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Multifunction retrofit - success!

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2017, 07:29 PM
RYE
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Multifunction retrofit - success!

First off, I know there are a few threads about swapping steering wheels. Mostly non MF to non MF or doing a conversion from MF to an SD wheel and vice versa.

My story is about retrofitting the new 991.2 MF steering wheel to my 2012.5 991S.

Background: I bought my car CPO and I love the specs on my car. I really liked having the carbon MF wheel match my interior. My 991S is a cab, so the heated wheel is a must. But I hated the shifters (never made sense to me), so I got the Techart Paddle shifters. After spending all the $$ I really wanted to believe that I was going to be happy with those Techart shifters, but truth is - those shifters were flimsy, and also obstructed the dashboard view. They just didn't feel and look right and they weren't from the Porsche factory. So I was excited to see the first 991.2 steering wheel retrofits being posted. Of course, MF was a no go at first.

Then, Rennlist user Yuan Li had posted his retrofit solution...

The perfect steering wheel for my car is actually a Macan steering wheel. So I bought it new with a new airbag. I also bought the retrofit kit from Yuan Li. I actually thought to myself this isn't going to work. Yesterday I did the retrofit. Beginning to finish in exactly two hours. I am experienced in electronic engineering and have a lot of soldering experience which you need if you have a heated wheel. You need to remove an SMD resistor and swap another one out on a tiny circuit board. Throughout working on the new steering wheel, I was very nervous. But after installing the conversion module into the Macan wheel, and finally swapping steering wheels, everything worked just perfectly!!!

It is just amazing to me that it all worked out. I absolutely love the new look - it actually feels like I have a new car. The MF controls are much improved (very precise), the paddles are absolutely perfect. It really is a dream come through for me.

I posted some before / after pictures. Also a video that shows that all buttons work properly, included backlight function, and the steering wheel heat.

A big thank you to Yuan Li - I am glad someone did all the engineering to make this work.

For those interested - I am happy to help out any Rennlist member. Now that I know how to install the conversion kit I could offer this as a service. I am in Connecticut, USA. Just post a message if I can be of any help to you. Happy to answer any questions or get involved in doing the work.

Before:

After:

Video:

Old 08-08-2017, 07:35 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Looks great!

I do think my 991.1 SD wheel feels a bit dated in comparison to the newer ones.

Question - I don't care about the multifunction as much as my desire for a heated steering wheel. Can this be easily added?

Also - if you don't mind, what was your total cost?
Old 08-08-2017, 07:36 PM
shake1
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

Great job getting it working!! Totally updates the interior. I love the look/feel of the new wheel and would love to getting an updated Espresso one for my 991.1 C4 multifunction.

How much did this upgrade cost you all in? Also, is it easily reversable back to the original steering wheel in case you wanted to resell with original parts in the future?
Old 08-08-2017, 07:38 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Additional question - The newer wheel has a different feel to the paddles. Less travel and more of a mouse click than the old one. Does this add to the experience vs an older SD wheel paddle shift?

My hypothesis is that this has more impact to reviews than the software.
Old 08-08-2017, 07:50 PM
Yuan Li
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Congratulations and many thanks for those shared,i like the interior combo!
Old 08-08-2017, 08:06 PM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

It looks amazing! I would be very interested in a similar upgrade. I have no idea what a standard leather steering wheel would cost. Time to call the dealer.
Old 08-09-2017, 08:29 AM
RYE
Racer

Thanks for the positive feedback.

Originally Posted by R_Rated
Looks great!

I do think my 991.1 SD wheel feels a bit dated in comparison to the newer ones.

Question - I don't care about the multifunction as much as my desire for a heated steering wheel. Can this be easily added?

Also - if you don't mind, what was your total cost?
Adding heat will at a minimum require a different clock spring, but I am not sure if you can get the 911.2 wheel with heat and without multifunction without modifying the steering wheel.

Cost to me:
$1,500 steering wheel
$750 airbag
$400 adapter
$2,650 total

Originally Posted by shake1
Also, is it easily reversable back to the original steering wheel in case you wanted to resell with original parts in the future?
Yes and no, depending on your definition of "easily" reversible. With the exception of the switch that controls the steering wheel heat, everything else is plug and play - mostly rerouting wires and plugging them into the adapter. The heat switch circuit board in the steering wheel requires minor soldering (change of resistors) but that can be reversed too.

Originally Posted by R_Rated
Additional question - The newer wheel has a different feel to the paddles. Less travel and more of a mouse click than the old one. Does this add to the experience vs an older SD wheel paddle shift?

My hypothesis is that this has more impact to reviews than the software.
I don't have experience with the SD wheel. It's a day and night difference compared to the Techart paddles. To me the shifters on the new wheel are absolutely perfect, and really the main reason I did the swap. Second reason being optics, and third reason just wanting to mod the car to make it mine.

Originally Posted by BradB
It looks amazing! I would be very interested in a similar upgrade. I have no idea what a standard leather steering wheel would cost. Time to call the dealer.
Thank you! Cost will probably vary depending on the wheel you get. My expenses are listed above. I bought my steering wheel and airbag from Europe. They were in the original Porsche packaging and had a manufacturing date of May 2017. PM me if you want the seller's contact information.
Old 08-09-2017, 09:40 AM
trucheli
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Can a MF wheel be added to a non MF wheel? Can a harness be added to activate multifunction? How about the Sport/Sport Plus ****, can that be retrofitted also? Great job and thanks for your answers.
Old 08-09-2017, 11:56 AM
bwiele
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Congratulation RYE on this project. I spec'ed that exact same carbon fiber wheel in the GTS I just got in May and I agree it is perfect. (Mine has the mode dial on the wheel, which makes it perfect+). I also had previously added the TechArt paddles to my 2012 Panamera Turbo but I never liked them. The throw was too long and they just felt sloppy. As a result, I seldom used them and just drove in Auto. The new car is the polar opposite. I never use auto, the paddles are short and crisp. And I love the way the carbon fiber wheel ties all the other carbon bits and bobs together. I am still surprised more people don't choose it.

Very cool project - one I would also take on myself if I needed to. Congrats!
Old 08-09-2017, 12:50 PM
Code
Three Wheelin'

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

Nicely done! It turned out great, and thanks for sharing your experience. This is now one of the items on my long list of upcoming mods.
Old 08-09-2017, 06:42 PM
Yuan Li
Instructor

Originally Posted by trucheli
Can a MF wheel be added to a non MF wheel? Can a harness be added to activate multifunction? How about the Sport/Sport Plus ****, can that be retrofitted also? Great job and thanks for your answers.

Original with sport style steering wheel car upgrade multifunction steering wheel,need coding the vehicle from sport style wheel to multifunction by PIWIS.Based several retrofit 991.1 to 991.2 wheel projects,no need purchase "multifunction enable code" for 991.1,MF can works.
Coding the car following this:https://gpsadapter.us/blogs/installa...n-coding-guide
Adapter only support switch mode LED indicator N S S+,not support switch S S+ use switch mode dial,works this video
Ogrinal spring clock control module in 991.1 not support switch mode dial,it's can't process switch mode dial events signal.Ifd adapter in wheel process switch mode operating event signal and transfer to adapter in center console process it by Bluetooth,it's can works.Develop this feature need 3-5 months and need time to testing stability.
Old 08-09-2017, 08:19 PM
Johnny5Alive
Burning Brakes

Received 299 Likes on 127 Posts

The macan wheel does look the best for .1 cars where you don't need the wheelm ounted chrono selector. Smart. I didn't even consider that. Is it the same size wheel as the 911 wheel?

I'd love to do this, but there's so many other mods to do that I don't know if I'd get to this one.
Old 08-11-2017, 04:08 PM
RYE
Racer

Originally Posted by Johnny5Alive
Is it the same size wheel as the 911 wheel?
Yes,exactly the same size as the old MF wheel.
Old 09-15-2017, 06:55 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,461 Posts

This is an awesome hack...

Any clarification on which steering wheels 1) will physically mount and 2) use the LIN 2.0 bus?

I've seen 991.2 wheels, Macan wheels, and Panamera wheels (what years?) mentioned.
Old 09-21-2017, 08:23 PM
Yuan Li
Instructor

Originally Posted by pfbz
This is an awesome hack...

Any clarification on which steering wheels 1) will physically mount and 2) use the LIN 2.0 bus?

I've seen 991.2 wheels, Macan wheels, and Panamera wheels (what years?) mentioned.
There are two type of new wheel with multifunction:
1#Macan,958.2Cayenne,991.2(STMV1/STMV1-H adapter kits fits all of this wheel)
2#971 Panamera,new gen Cayenne,(STMV1-971 adapter kits fits all of this wheel)
Those two type of wheels use same LIN BUS version but different protocol data bits defined,different wire harness and socket architecture in wheel.

Quick Reply: Multifunction retrofit - success!