Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2021, 08:59 PM
911dude41
Drifting

Received 1,226 Likes on 705 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom@TPC Racing
Checkout vids in DSC Sport Youtube channel such as this one-
https://youtu.be/wQl4p3BHqhE
Just FYI, the 991 PASM button LED cannot be made to blink, its just how the button is wired from the factory.
So just be clear... That video also applies to my 991.2 Turbo S with 2021 DSC controller that probably has the Touring file. Correct?

In that case, my PASM LED will not blink to indicate its ready. Correct? If not, how do I know that DSC launch mode is ready?

EDIT: Me thinks an FAQ thread should be made/stickied

Last edited by 911dude41; 06-21-2021 at 09:01 PM.
Old 06-21-2021, 11:11 PM
enzotcat
Pro

Received 384 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by 911dude41
So just be clear... That video also applies to my 991.2 Turbo S with 2021 DSC controller that probably has the Touring file. Correct?
Yes

In that case, my PASM LED will not blink to indicate its ready. Correct? If not, how do I know that DSC launch mode is ready?

No blinky-flashy light, you just have to trust that it is ready.

A FAQ sticky would be good.
The following users liked this post:
911dude41 (06-21-2021)
Old 06-22-2021, 09:06 AM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 944 Likes on 525 Posts

Enzotcat answered your questions correctly.

For the 991 DSC Launch Control activation, while there's no visual cue, the actions required to activate this function are very deliberate. You'll have to trust that it is activated with the action sequence. You can practice the activation as much as you like for muscle memory and familiarity. DSC Launch Control turn off as soon as vehicle speed reached 20mph.

Up to admins..

TPC Racing stats:
2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge 992 Cup Am Champion
2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge GT4 Pro-Am Team Champion
2022 Porsche Sprint Challenge 992 Cup & 991 Cup Champion
2020 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge 2nd Championship
2018 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge 2nd Championship
2016 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champion
2013 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champion
2006 Rolex-24 @ Daytona GT Champion
2004 Grand-Am SGS Class Champion

Old 08-14-2021, 08:40 AM
smgkc
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom@TPC Racing
Suspension tuning a black art. There are external condition factors involved. 90 front /10 rear would be a good place to start. Respectfully I cannot teach or custom tune for every user so you'll have the experiment with these numbers.
This would be a service I would be interested in purchasing, have you thought about offering custom suspension tuning? I’ve tried a handful of different DSC tunes and while I’m significantly happier compared to stock, I still think there is some improvement that could be had but I don’t trust myself to modify the parameters and even if I did, I’m no seasoned veteran that could achieve best results (most likely) anyways. Anyways if custom tunes are something you guys decide to do, let me know!

PS I just saw there is a new calibration file on your website, I’ll have to play around with it!

Last edited by smgkc; 08-14-2021 at 09:07 AM.
Old 08-14-2021, 12:18 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 524 Likes on 346 Posts

If I have a DSC V3 installed, will the Porsche dealer be able to "see" it when I go in for my 40,000 mile service in my 2013 991.1 S car...it's a CPO car and I don't want to put my CPO warranty at risk? Probably safer to just swap out the DSC V3 for the stock unit before the service, just sayin.

Old 08-14-2021, 03:09 PM
dannyss
Racer

Received 133 Likes on 81 Posts

I asked the service manager at my dealer. He said, replace the stock unit, when ever the cAr would go in for service and he’d have no problem. I told him outright I had a DSC unit installed, he didn’t even know what it was!
Old 08-14-2021, 05:10 PM
Rapter
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

For those who are using the DSC unit for track days can you report back on if you found an improvement on tire wear?

I hope that the dsc assists in limiting body roll better and that in turn results in less outside tire wear.

looking to the track drivers here for real world experience.

I was running -1.9 F/ -2.6 rear and destroyed the fronts… would the dsc help save the fronts by better controlling body roll?

recently I had a set of camber plates installed up front and now am set to -2.5F/ -2.8rear would want to add the dsc to further enhance reduction in body roll and in turn better from better tire wear.
Old 08-14-2021, 05:22 PM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Received 1,244 Likes on 660 Posts

Originally Posted by Rapter
For those who are using the DSC unit for track days can you report back on if you found an improvement on tire wear?

I hope that the dsc assists in limiting body roll better and that in turn results in less outside tire wear.

looking to the track drivers here for real world experience.

I was running -1.9 F/ -2.6 rear and destroyed the fronts… would the dsc help save the fronts by better controlling body roll?

recently I had a set of camber plates installed up front and now am set to -2.5F/ -2.8rear would want to add the dsc to further enhance reduction in body roll and in turn better from better tire wear.
Yes, it improves wear, but alignment is everything.

You still don’t have enough neg camber up front.

i thought -3.2 was a lot up front, but the car never really had great turn in until -4.0.

Of course after i did that, everyone at the track would say **** like, oh yeah its a Porsche, they need -4.0 up front.

I thought for sure I would be chopping tyres out from street driving, but it has not been the case.

The car is performing better than ever and when i look at my tyres, they look like i could use a little more neg front camber 🤣🤣

If i were you, i would at least try more in the front than rear. Say -3.2 fr and -2.8 rear. Pretty sure that was an older progression i had that worked well.

I believe its toe that actually chops tyres out. Everyone thinks its too much neg camber, but at -4.0 i’m not chopping tyres out.

Inside fine

Plenty of tread on inside at -4.0 neg front camber.

Last edited by 4 Point 0; 08-14-2021 at 05:28 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by 4 Point 0:
Dark_horse (08-14-2021), Sarawnty (08-14-2021)
Old 09-05-2021, 02:30 PM
desmotesta
Rennlist Member

Received 1,988 Likes on 945 Posts

I just picked up a V3 from a fellow Rennlister. Have read through most of this and Many other threads (also YouTube videos, DSC Sport YouTube channel etc)

question: Can the V3 be calibrated to give me sharper turn in, better side to side steering feel and further reduce "body roll" on my 991.1 GTS? (non PDCC car)

I do not track or autocross, am a longtime 2-wheel club racer and my skillset on 2 wheels far outshines that on 4-wheels.. still, I am searching for better turn in and steering feel during spirited runs, not expecting modern Mclaren steering feel and turn-in but a step in that direction would be great

Are my expectations within reason?
Old 09-05-2021, 03:33 PM
vtgt
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

^To baseline, did you have any improvement with the v3, whet map are you running on it? Fyi, I still haven’t bought one, but plan to.
Old 09-05-2021, 04:44 PM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by desmotesta
I just picked up a V3 from a fellow Rennlister. Have read through most of this and Many other threads (also YouTube videos, DSC Sport YouTube channel etc)

question: Can the V3 be calibrated to give me sharper turn in, better side to side steering feel and further reduce "body roll" on my 991.1 GTS? (non PDCC car)

I do not track or autocross, am a longtime 2-wheel club racer and my skillset on 2 wheels far outshines that on 4-wheels.. still, I am searching for better turn in and steering feel during spirited runs, not expecting modern Mclaren steering feel and turn-in but a step in that direction would be great

If you wish ti make a serious difference to turn in, then you need a serious alignment.
With all the mods on my car, i never considered the car had good turn in until -4.0 camber up front. I am now -4.4 front and -3.5 rear.

You’ll need adjustable control arms, stiffer anti-sway bars , more front spring rate, and grippier tires. Then the DSC controller. Then you will have significant better turn in.

The DSC helps, but it needs a team to work with. It’s the conductor, but if there are no musicians in the group, its pretty quiet.

Last edited by 4 Point 0; 09-05-2021 at 05:06 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by 4 Point 0:
desmotesta (09-05-2021), noahabel (09-05-2021), SFZ GT3 (09-05-2021), vtgt (09-05-2021)
Old 09-05-2021, 04:53 PM
vtgt
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by 4 Point 0
If you wish ti make a serious difference to turn in, then you need a serious alignment.
With all the mods on my car, i never considered the car had good turn in until -4.0 camber up front. I am now -4.4 front and -3.5 rear.

You’ll need adjustable control arms, stiffer anti-sway bars , more front spring rate, and gripper tires. Then the DSC controller. Then you will have significant better turn in.

The DSC helps, but it needs a team to work with. It’s the conductor, but if there are no musicians in the group, its pretty quiet.
Nice post, whats your full modlist? I’d love to get a ride in a super dialed in ride even though I’m happy with my stock C2S to a large extent. Did you do the mods in stages or all at once, and is your car a C2S, GTS, or GT3 ?
Old 09-05-2021, 04:55 PM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by vtgt
Nice post, whats your full modlist? I’d love to get a ride in a super dialed in ride even though I’m happy with my stock C2S to a large extent. Did you do the mods in stages or all at once, and is your car a C2S, GTS, or GT3 ?
GTS. See 4.0 Mods thread. Most of them are in there with pics.

Last edited by 4 Point 0; 09-05-2021 at 04:59 PM.
The following users liked this post:
vtgt (09-05-2021)
Old 09-05-2021, 05:37 PM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Received 584 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by desmotesta

What 4 Point 0 said, alignment. On three different platforms I've owned, FWD, AWD, and RWD, going to -3.0 or more camber up front did the most to improve turn-in on all of them. Typically as much castor as you can run too. What's your 2-wheel stable? I just have a trusty ole 2005 CBR 600RR for fun.
Old 09-05-2021, 09:15 PM
Rapter
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by 4 Point 0
Yes, it improves wear, but alignment is everything.

You still don’t have enough neg camber up front.

i thought -3.2 was a lot up front, but the car never really had great turn in until -4.0.

Of course after i did that, everyone at the track would say **** like, oh yeah its a Porsche, they need -4.0 up front.

I thought for sure I would be chopping tyres out from street driving, but it has not been the case.

The car is performing better than ever and when i look at my tyres, they look like i could use a little more neg front camber 🤣🤣

If i were you, i would at least try more in the front than rear. Say -3.2 fr and -2.8 rear. Pretty sure that was an older progression i had that worked well.

I believe its toe that actually chops tyres out. Everyone thinks its too much neg camber, but at -4.0 i’m not chopping tyres out.

Inside fine

Plenty of tread on inside at -4.0 neg front camber.
‘my issues is the outside of the tires start chucking out at my current rear alignment of -2.8. Gope that the DSC can stiffen up the cornering shocks to 100% to help this situation out to get more life out of the tire.

see the picture example:

Quick Reply: DSC Sport V3 Control Module