Sponsored by:

Ceramic coating worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2019, 01:29 AM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 455 Likes on 294 Posts

^^^ It's not a wax at all.

I attended a tech session this past weekend by a high-end ceramic/ wrap shop. Taking my car in on wednesday for ceramic coating. Dark Blue Metallic. Will post results.
Old 03-16-2019, 08:35 AM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 113 Posts

More info http://www.thedetailors.com/ceramic-...rotection.html
Old 03-16-2019, 08:50 AM
SH2
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by SRL
So here’s a question I haven’t seen asked/answered: how do these ceramic coatings eventually “wear out”? Do they slowly get washed off the finish? Just lose their luster? They can’t “flake” like a defective/worn out clear coat, right?
A question I often wondered about as well. I don’t think many have an answer for this as it only recently became the newest, must have product and this is one of many reasons I’d never use ceramic coating. Unevenness, blotchy finish etc is more than likely going to occur over time due to weather and other perils forcing one to have to remove the coating with likelyhood of damaging the clear coat underneath that was originally the purpose of installing the ceramic. I’m going to stick to tried and true old fashion methods.
Old 03-16-2019, 08:57 AM
Ccpecot
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

From Gtechniq's site:
Q: How long will Crystal Serum Ultra last on a car?

A: If a car is looked after well, washed using Gtechniq shampoos and accessories, then Crystal Serum Ultra will easily reach its 9 year guarantee.

https://usa.gtechniq.com/customer-service/faq/
Old 03-16-2019, 10:00 AM
SH2
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 51 Posts

Most are start ups looking to capture a piece of this or other profitable new fad by making statements they can’t backup and won’t be around when problems begin to surface. Ceramic coating finishes appear great, however, I don’t believe the brilliance and/or protection far outweighs traditional waxes, sealants or just routine cleaning. I do however agree thst it lasts longer yet one would be fooled to think they won’t be cleaning their vehicles nearly as often. Again, the ceramic finish will start to breakdown over time, more concerning, it’s more than likely going to occur in a very uneven fashion creating far more work to remove than anticipated. For those with a bit of foresight, investing in services/products to remove all of these coatings could be the next latest and greatest money maker. YMMV
Old 03-16-2019, 10:25 AM
911-TOUR
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by 911boy
IMO it’s really strong wax. It wears out/off. That’s my opinion. Would love to here some facts.
^^^ This. It just wears. I had CQuartz UK on my MDX from day 1 (2014) - and refreshed with Carpro Reload every 6 months as manufacturer suggested. When I sold it last month, it was clear that the coating was still intact in places (mainly the vertical surfaces, doors, rear hatch), and not in others (hood, roof). No flaking, just not as smooth to to the touch and water sheets slowly. New owner had it redone at the same detail shop that did the original application, and they said same. They also said that for a 5 year old car that spent every single night outside it was shocking how clean the paint was.

On the CPO Cayenne I just purchased, I went first with a polymer sealant - as I had good luck with that on my 993 in virtually the same color (Rhodium v. Polar Silver) - and because I could easily do it myself last weekend (my detail shop can't get me in until next month). However, will be going CQUK again on that.

I have CQ on the T (Installed the day I took delivery) - and following the same procedure as the MDX, it looks great. It especially helps with the wheel cleaning (had the wheels coated as well, as brake dust just comes with water.

Wife's LR4 has worn Chem Guys Jet Seal - refreshed every year for 4 years, and her previous LR3 wore Klasse for 10 years, refreshed every year. Both worked well and look/looked great!

Based on years of experience now with both polymer sealants (Klasse / Jet Seal) and Ceramic (CQUK) - I'd say the performance is similar - its just that the ceramic lasts *a lot* longer - especially if you keep it up with CP Reload (or equiv of for whatever system you are using)

I'm a believer/customer.
Old 03-16-2019, 11:23 AM
koala
Three Wheelin'

Received 539 Likes on 315 Posts

It just wears off. My daily driver was coated when it was new, October of 2015. It has been subjected to 4 Calgary winters. This past winter, water now only beads on the roof, but the rest is without question fully worn off.

​​​​
Old 03-16-2019, 11:29 AM
minthral
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

Its not really a strong wax. A thin layer of clear coat that is stronger is a better way of putting it.

There is a difference is quality in coating. DYI kits wear out faster. The more expensive coats can last forever depending on care and usage and must be applied carefully by pros then flaws polished off. I think washing with aggressive soap or letting dirt/chemicals baked in sun is what wears it away. Instead of deteriorating the clear coat, the coating takes the hit.

I know for certain carpro coating works. Dirt doesn't stick and water beads. It stops tiny rock chips, but any big rock will still make it though. My SUV has suntek ultra and that stuff has a coating on it too, but stuff tends to stick in (think jello) and already after about 2 years the front has spots where bug guts left faint spots...honestly probably because I wash it less and wife is less careful (and that I assumed PPF allows you to wash less...). You always need some kind of 'buffer' coating and you can get the same from wax, however applying wax takes time and it doesn't last as long..the key benefit of ceramic coating is it saves time washing and protecting. PPF can stop a rock, but its possible it still damages the paint under (will only know if paint flakes off after removal). Nonetheless, degraded look of PPF lines and other imperfections (installer razor marks) aren't worth it.
The following users liked this post:
blt1 (05-30-2021)
Old 03-16-2019, 11:34 AM
Jon D
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts

It does wear off eventually, but I have done it to my 2 daily drivers, a GMC Sierra AT4 from new and an Audi SQ5 (2014) which they paint corrected and coated. Best thing I have ever done from a maintenance standpoint, cars appear clean all the time and water just rolls off.

My debate now is is whether to do the Porsche as it’s about 3/4 PPF’d. From what I understand it semi defeats the self healing properties so weighing the trade offs. Big plus I see is more gloss/depth to the paint etc.
Old 03-16-2019, 11:48 AM
Ccpecot
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by minthral
Its not really a strong wax. A thin layer of clear coat that is stronger is a better way of putting it.

There is a difference is quality in coating. DYI kits wear out faster. The more expensive coats can last forever depending on care and usage and must be applied carefully by pros then flaws polished off. I think washing with aggressive soap or letting dirt/chemicals baked in sun is what wears it away. Instead of deteriorating the clear coat, the coating takes the hit.

I know for certain carpro coating works. Dirt doesn't stick and water beads. It stops tiny rock chips, but any big rock will still make it though. My SUV has suntek ultra and that stuff has a coating on it too, but stuff tends to stick in (think jello) and already after about 2 years the front has spots where bug guts left faint spots...honestly probably because I wash it less and wife is less careful (and that I assumed PPF allows you to wash less...). You always need some kind of 'buffer' coating and you can get the same from wax, however applying wax takes time and it doesn't last as long..the key benefit of ceramic coating is it saves time washing and protecting. PPF can stop a rock, but its possible it still damages the paint under (will only know if paint flakes off after removal). Nonetheless, degraded look of PPF lines and other imperfections (installer razor marks) aren't worth it.
I agree with a lot of what's said here.....Also people should keep in mind that in general, it should be obvious that if you wash your car less over time (e.g., once every few months or so) and let stains like bird droppings sit on your car outside, it will affect the paint over time with or without wax. In my opinion, there should not be an assumption that just because you add wax or a ceramic coating, you should not take care to wash your car less often.

I'm on my 2nd Porsche with a ceramic coating. I'm of the opinion that it is not so simple as applying and let the coating do it's work. It is just as much about prep (e.g., paint correction), as it is about the application. I also believe it also has to do with the installer as well. The installer that I've used is consistently flown to private collectors, including a request to do a special edition Pagani. If this was just a gimmick and everyone could DIY, I don't think these type of special requests would exist. By the way, I have witnessed a few DIY jobs and over time, the results are not the same as a professional installer over time.

Overall, I'm been very pleased with the coatings that were done my cars. The first one dating back 3 years still shows the paint with the so called, "mirror look" as it did when I picked it up. Of course, I regular wash my cars and I've had 1 refresh completed over the last 3 years on that first car.

Last edited by Ccpecot; 03-16-2019 at 12:05 PM.
Old 03-16-2019, 12:04 PM
Carrera-T
Rennlist Member

Received 604 Likes on 245 Posts

I am still on the fence about ceramic coatings and also PPF. I have the skills and tools to do my own paint correction. I also tend to apply a few coats per year of a high quality synthetic poloymer paint protection sealant. I also have a strange feeling that a ceramic coating applied to wheels will quickly be removed by strong wheel cleaners.

At at this point I agree with paint correction and keeping a sealant on the car but am not convinced that a “ceramic” coating would look or protect any better.

Now, PPF definitely provides some added defense from stone chips and such but the jury is still out for me if I like the look and feel of the paint when wrapped.

Just call me an old fashioned detail guy.
Old 03-16-2019, 02:29 PM
orclean1
Burning Brakes

Received 102 Likes on 61 Posts

PPF when applied by a pro only you know its there, I have seen two cars before and after ceramic coating and the paint color is so much deeper and richer .
BTW I have suntek on my car and worth every penny
Old 03-16-2019, 02:42 PM
Jim991
Burning Brakes

Received 178 Likes on 132 Posts

I have PPF on 3/4 of my car and ceramic coating on top of that. I had minor paint correction done before the film and ceramic went on. The shine and depth of the color is amazing.
Old 03-16-2019, 03:38 PM
G8tor
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

Recently did a DYI paint correction and ceramic coating (CQUARTZ UK), very happy with the results.
Can’t believe how easy it is to wash and dry now.
My only regret is I didn’t do it sooner.

Old 03-16-2019, 05:26 PM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by CCDD

Unevenness, blotchy finish etc is more than likely going to occur over time
How long you figure since it's been around for 9 years now and I've heard of none of that?

Quick Reply: Ceramic coating worth it?