Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ceramic coating worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2020, 01:20 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,335 Likes on 752 Posts

I am a big proponent of PPF especially now that the new films have such great clarity and shine. If wrapped properly the car looks amazing. Once done using a high quality Ceramic is how I went. Just adds better overall clean capabilities and when topped with a booster after a few washes looks like new. I did Xpel ultimate topped with 4 layers of CQuartz and a final top coat. I use Reload after every 4 - 5 washes and it looks fantastic. Had the wheels done with CQuartz also so cleaning is a breeze since I have PCCB to help.
Attached Images  
The following 3 users liked this post by Penn4S:
Big Swole (04-07-2020), F1SML8R (04-26-2020), thesaintusa (04-05-2020)
Old 04-05-2020, 01:44 PM
Colvin84
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
One thing to keep in mind, the ceramic products sold retail, to the everyday Joe, are not the same products sold exclusively to the professional detailer community.

Not always true - take a look at Kamikaze from Esoteric. Same stuff they use and it’s top notch.

I paint corrected and put on my car. Are there flaws I notice - sure, but that’s because of application error not the product. I used ISM 1.0 and overcoat. The car is incredibly easy to wash now. Nothing sticks. I went with them after a friend of mine went to the elite detailers academy that esoteric offers.
Old 04-06-2020, 10:17 AM
bikerlee
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AdamSanta85
Any comments on Gyeon Rim vs Kamikaze Stance wheel coatings? Need to pull my wheels to flush brake fluid, figure it’s a good time to also coat the wheels and calipers. Seems DIY’able

From Esoteric Detailing it’s $80 for the Gyeon and $120 for the Kamikaze kit
I tried the Kamikaze and it wasn't great, didn't bead, make cleaning any easier or last very long. Went on easy, however expect far more for the price. Rim was decent, easy to apply, lasted a decent amount of time, could feel there was some protection there, unlike Stance. I applied CquartzUK 3.0 last year to the new car and so far it's been superior to the others I've tried. Super easy to apply, still beads and mostly get away with a rinse to get about 80% clean, only need to get in there with brushes every couple of washes.
Old 04-06-2020, 10:46 AM
AdamSanta85
Rennlist Member

Received 1,233 Likes on 724 Posts

Originally Posted by bikerlee
I tried the Kamikaze and it wasn't great, didn't bead, make cleaning any easier or last very long. Went on easy, however expect far more for the price. Rim was decent, easy to apply, lasted a decent amount of time, could feel there was some protection there, unlike Stance. I applied CquartzUK 3.0 last year to the new car and so far it's been superior to the others I've tried. Super easy to apply, still beads and mostly get away with a rinse to get about 80% clean, only need to get in there with brushes every couple of washes.
Thanks. I ordered the Gyeon Rim kit for $85. For the money I felt like even if it doesn't work too good, at least I can appreciate the Iron X and Prep spray. Seemed like the best value.

Ill update here once my opinion once I complete the job.
Old 04-26-2020, 03:10 AM
palladio
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 13 Posts

I've never had a ceramic coating, but have followed threads about this for a while. I have a few thoughts for the peanut gallery, and welcome any replies or advice.

My newest car is from 1997. I've owned later models but found I really don't lust after anything post air-cooled anymore. One of my cars, a '96 Guards Red 993, I thought about giving a ceramic coating. I went to several local SoCal shops that have good reputations for ceramic coating installations. The quotations I've had include what they all say are necessary steps to get it right and preserve the finish: paint correction, ceramic coating, followed by some sort of clear protector film on the front end up to the windshield. The price for that is more than it would cost me to have my top notch body shop guy here repaint the entire front end of my car, and 5x what it would cost just to do the bumper and mirrors that usually suffer 90% of chips.

My thought is that unless we're talking about a $100K+ new car where keeping the original finish is paramount to resale value, it really doesn't make sense to spend this kind of money. My vintage cars won't see more than maybe 3 thousand miles a year each. They won't lose much if any value by having the front end repainted when needed, since they are old enough for paintwork not to matter so long as it's not due to an accident and it's done right. Unless I'm missing something, a ceramic coating with the paint correction and clear bra will likely need to be "refreshed" at least as often as I'd need to do a bumper or hood repaint, and will cost more.

For the record, I'm probably as OCD about my cars as most of you, and like to keep them pristine. I've attached a few pics I took today after about 45 minutes of elbow grease and $5 worth of Meguiar's products. I'm not dissing the whole ceramic coating thing, I'm still curious.

Thoughts?

Last edited by palladio; 04-26-2020 at 09:26 PM.
The following users liked this post:
George from MD (04-26-2020)
Old 04-26-2020, 04:09 AM
_RS_
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 62 Posts

palladio, stunning car!
I've been a detailing amateur for a long time and the changes have been interesting as more money flows in to the interest.
ppf has improved over the old thick film, which at best showed the manufacturing roller marks and at worst yellowed and cracked. I would certainly get a current one for a new car if I lived where road-rash was significant, I can't justify it it for 12k miles and one tiny chip under the side mirror in two years.
Ceramic coating is pretty good from my experience (professionally applied good stuff) for easy clean and a very hard finish. I am so happy after two years on my black 911 i just had it applied to my new DD.
The earlier school method is ingrained in my wife, who enjoys to clay her car and wax. It's carmine red so I'll forgive her the swirls because you don't really notice.
Personally, I'd carnauba wax that beautiful car of yours.

Old 04-26-2020, 08:16 AM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 113 Posts

"paint correction, ceramic coating, followed by some sort of clear protector film"

You mean film followed by ceramic coating.
The following 2 users liked this post by Gary JR:
F1SML8R (04-26-2020), shammerman (04-26-2020)
Old 04-26-2020, 09:06 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,407 Likes on 2,514 Posts

Palladio, good looking 993.

Those (997?) wheels are the wrong offset for your car. You need spacers, at the very least. Also check your motor mounts (common failure on the 993s.....given the age). For example, in your picture, it looks like the passenger side exhaust tip is practically touching the bumper.

I always forget. Was Guards Red really a 2-stage paint (clear coated) on the 993? I don't think so. So maybe yours was repainted with a more modern coating. Maybe that explains why it looks so fresh now.

Enjoy!
The following users liked this post:
miker2019 (04-26-2020)
Old 04-26-2020, 09:25 AM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 430 Likes on 307 Posts
Default ceramic coating on top of plastic ?

Not made for that ???

Originally Posted by Gary JR
"paint correction, ceramic coating, followed by some sort of clear protector film"

Old 04-26-2020, 09:29 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,407 Likes on 2,514 Posts

Originally Posted by Bud Taylor
Not made for that ???
BT, the proper sequence is:

Paint correction
PPF (paint protection film) if desired
Ceramic coating
The following 3 users liked this post by LexVan:
Gary JR (04-26-2020), shammerman (04-26-2020), thesaintusa (04-26-2020)
Old 04-26-2020, 11:46 AM
SConn
Drifting

Received 976 Likes on 580 Posts

They don't want anything on the paint before applying PPF. Interferes with the install/adhesion.
Old 04-26-2020, 05:36 PM
diononiz
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

I recently did it myself as a COVID project. Here is what I did and the products used. It took me 3 days as I tired to split up the steps a bit.

Decontamination with Gtechnique G-6 Iron Remover
Wash with Chemical Guys Clean Slate
Clay Bar with Gyeon Mild Bar and Sonus Clay lubricant
Wiped down with Gtech Panel Wipe
Polish with Lake Country Black HDO pad and Menzerna 3800 (My car is new and had only a small amount of swirls and minor scratches)
Wash with Gtech GWash
One coat of Gtech Crystal Serum light
Two coats Gtech EXOv4

The clouding on the second pic is actually the reflection of the clouds overhead.
Old 04-26-2020, 05:47 PM
SConn
Drifting

Received 976 Likes on 580 Posts

Originally Posted by diononiz

I recently did it myself as a COVID project. Here is what I did and the products used. It took me 3 days as I tired to split up the steps a bit.

Decontamination with Gtechnique G-6 Iron Remover
Wash with Chemical Guys Clean Slate
Clay Bar with Gyeon Mild Bar and Sonus Clay lubricant
Polish with Lake Country Black HDO pad and Menzerna 3800 (My car is new and had only a small amount of swirls and minor scratches)
Wash with Gtech GWash
One coat of Gtech Crystal Serum light
Two coats Gtech EXOv4

The clouding on the second pic is actually the reflection of the clouds overhead.
Gorgeous!
Old 04-26-2020, 09:25 PM
palladio
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gary JR

Yes that's what I meant. Sorry I wrote the wrong order.
Old 04-26-2020, 09:37 PM
palladio
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LexVan
Palladio, good looking 993.

Those (997?) wheels are the wrong offset for your car. You need spacers, at the very least. Also check your motor mounts (common failure on the 993s.....given the age). For example, in your picture, it looks like the passenger side exhaust tip is practically touching the bumper.

I always forget. Was Guards Red really a 2-stage paint (clear coated) on the 993? I don't think so. So maybe yours was repainted with a more modern coating. Maybe that explains why it looks so fresh now.

Enjoy!
Another mistake in my post (which I've now edited). It is indeed a single stage paint.

Thanks for the observations, I'll check the motor mounts.

Those are "Carrera III" wheels from a 997 from what I've been told. They were on the car when I bought it. My other 993's have all had stock 17" Cup wheels or 18" Turbo Twists. The offsets on these are 57 front and 58 rear. What looks wrong about them?

Quick Reply: Ceramic coating worth it?