Sponsored by:

Ceramic coating worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2018, 03:53 PM
Cubs2016
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ceramic coating worth it?

I've seen lots of posts about the details of ceramic coatings, but I have a more basic question: Is it worth it to pay an installer $2K do do paint correction and a ceramic coating? My car is new and shiny. Is the correction/coating going to pop in a way that is more than just a marginal improvement, or it necessary to keep a like-new look? Just trying to figure out whether it's worth the spend. Thanks for any input you can offer.
Old 05-29-2018, 04:02 PM
koala
Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 314 Posts

$2k for paint correction and ceramic seems very steep to me.

I have OptiCoat Pro+ on my daily driver, but it's subjected to winter abuse. I haven't bothered doing it on the 911 as I only drive it on nice days and it looks good enough with a nice simple polish.

That said, ceramic coatings do certainly make the paint easier to clean!
Old 05-29-2018, 04:11 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Go look at some of your detailer's finished work product and decided for yourself.

There is nothing like the color of fully corrected Paint. Nothing.

I love my ceramic coating. Had OptiCoat Pro for about 4 years. Now have CQuartz Pro.
The following users liked this post:
911Stalker (07-15-2020)
Old 05-29-2018, 04:11 PM
bwiele
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

It's a very subjective question. For that price, you should expect your car to have a mirror like finish from the paint correction and be considerably easier to clean and maintain in the future because the ceramic coating really provides an exceptional slick surface. I take a lot of pride in my cars' appearance and the ceramic coating makes the job a lot easier. I'm a believer, but I should also say that I've gained enough experience now to do a light paint correction and apply a ceramic coating myself so the investment is comparatively smaller. If you do apply a coating, pick up a bottle of Car Pro Reload to maintain the coating - it provides a great gloss and the most hydrophobic surface I've ever experienced.
Old 05-29-2018, 04:14 PM
Class5Kayaker
Pro

Received 211 Likes on 97 Posts

That sounds like an installer who thinks they can charge you a "Porsche Tax". Just move along to a different installer and get another quote. Quote should be individually based on initial condition of car (how much correction is needed), and size of car (an SUV takes longer to do and requires more materials).
Old 05-29-2018, 04:28 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,226 Likes on 772 Posts

I have ceramic coating on my Porsche, and I think it's worth the investment. I paid less than the price mentioned above, and that was for "lifetime service". My detailer will redo the coating every couple of years - I just pay for the new paint correction and detailing, and not the reapplication of the ceramic product. I think ceramic coating really makes a difference on metallic paint.
Old 05-29-2018, 04:36 PM
vwduud
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I had my car coated with whatever version of Modesta was recommended in early 2016 by a reputable shop. While it did/does create a deep shine and makes the car easier to wash, that version of the product didn't help what I was specifically hoping it would do: prevent water spots. Also, another initial quality that I enjoyed was the ease of drying the vehicle with a leaf blower. While it still helps with the drying, it is not as good when the coating was first applied. I find myself chasing water droplets around the car, trying to get them off of the paint, only now to have to follow up with a micro-fiber towel to completely dry the vehicle.

I paid right at a grand for the paint correction and coating.

I drive a black Targa daily in South Louisiana, rain or shine. Needless to say, we get a lot of rain. Quite often that is followed up by blue sky and lots of sun, heating up the freshly deposited rain water on my paint.

While there may be improvements in the coatings offered today, I am not as tempted to believe that they'll do everything that they say they'll do. Not saying that it is not worth it. But not a cure all. Yet.

Seeing what can be done for the worst possible cases of paint correction, I'd be tempted to skip this coating the next time around. Stick to a good wash regimen (at least a 2 bucket method), and have the basic polishing/waxing tools to make the labor of waxing the paint a little easier. If you see an obvious degradation of your paint's shine over a year's time, then either "paint correct" yourself (clay bar and polish) or pay someone to do just that part. If done right, wash and wax can still compete at a fraction of the cost.
The following 2 users liked this post by vwduud:
911Stalker (07-15-2020), BOPE (09-17-2020)
Old 05-29-2018, 04:36 PM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 135 Likes on 106 Posts

^ So can Ceramic coating be corrected and re applied? I haven't done it........yet.
Old 05-29-2018, 04:51 PM
LexVan
Banned

Originally Posted by 911boy
^ So can Ceramic coating be corrected and re applied? I haven't done it........yet.
Yes, mine was done in 2014 when car was new. Again in late 2015. And a 3rd time this past October. My plan is every other year.
Old 05-29-2018, 04:52 PM
LexVan
Banned

Cubs2016, are you in the Chicago area? I know a guy for you.
Old 05-29-2018, 04:57 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,226 Likes on 772 Posts

Originally Posted by 911boy
Yes, but ideally you want to remove the old coating with another detailing and paint correction.

Mine has a few minor scratches here and there, but it's not ready to be completely redone yet.
Old 05-29-2018, 05:02 PM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 135 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
Yes, mine was done in 2014 when car was new. Again in late 2015. And a 3rd time this past October. My plan is every other year.
So where is the value if this stuff still scratches? I will get mine corrected every spring and wash my car once or twice a week and after correction I don't need to wax for a couple of months. Is it easier to clean bugs, sap etc off car?
Old 05-29-2018, 05:03 PM
Ccpecot
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I agree with what has been said that this is a subjective question. However, I've had ceramic coatings applied on 3 of my Porsches over the last 6 years (Panamera, Cayenne, and 991.2) using Gtechniq. Each time the paint correction was completed prior to ceramic coating application. In my opinion, it was completely worth it for the following reasons: 1) The glass/mirror look of the paint; 2) The laborious nature washing and drying the car is greatly reduced; 3) All sets of wheels were coated as well and removing the brake dust is easier; 4) Overall protection for the car's paint.

Also, depending on the installer of the coating can make a difference, so do your homework. For my installer, I connected with him as recommended by our local Ferrari dealer.
Old 05-29-2018, 05:05 PM
aCayenneFan
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Not meaning to hijack this thread, but it seems from the comments, the argument for ceramic coating is more compelling with darker colored or metallic paint jobs. Yes/No?
Old 05-29-2018, 05:11 PM
BlackBeauty
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 66 Posts

Yes

Quick Reply: Ceramic coating worth it?