Sponsored by:

Ceramic coating worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2018, 06:14 PM
Cubs2016
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
Cubs2016, are you in the Chicago area? I know a guy for you.
Originally, but in NY now. Thanks though.
Old 05-29-2018, 07:31 PM
Ccpecot
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by vwduud
How many miles do you have on each? Colors of each?
Approaching 4K on the black 991.2 and 20k on the Mahogany Metallic Cayenne👍
Old 05-30-2018, 08:05 AM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 113 Posts

Mine was full of pollen and it just blew off the two coats of Ceramic Pro.
Old 05-30-2018, 09:17 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,464 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by Boulder Mike
Dennis- do you have a recommendation for a shop in the Denver/Boulder/Golden area? Thx. Mike
i was torn between Man Cave Colorado and Steve’s Detailing. I ended up going with Man Cave, and they did a nice job. The key to a really nice ceramic coating is the prep, including paint correction and detailing.
Old 05-30-2018, 09:34 AM
Boulder Mike
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Thanks Dennis. Appreciate it.
Old 05-30-2018, 09:35 AM
Ccpecot
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Beautiful car! I love the targa! Maybe one day, I will get one:-)

Originally Posted by vwduud

Right at 39k miles here with Modesta on ~80% of the car. Lighting, from this angle is quite favorable as well.
Old 05-30-2018, 10:10 AM
vwduud
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ccpecot
Beautiful car! I love the targa! Maybe one day, I will get one:-)
Just FYI. While the entire front cap of the car is covered in Suntek PPF, the hood and bumper are NOT ceramic coated. Through 2 separate mishaps, I had to have the PPF replaced on each. I have not had a chance to get the newly applied PPF re-coated. In the meantime, I’ve applied Meguiar’s Ultimate Liquid Wax.

Bugs more easily come off of the front bumper with the wax over the ceramic. In most cases, my pre-wash spray (just water) removes the bugs with little to no effort.

The deep shine from the hood to the fenders is no different between the Modesta and the Meguiar’s wax.
Old 05-30-2018, 10:27 AM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
I did over 12,000 miles last driving season. I think I washed my car 3 times. I like having my car done every 2 years, because it looks perfect. I'm not making these choices based on anything to do with price or cost.

From September 2017's CQuartz. Picture #1 is just washed, and 2 year-old (over 24,000 miles) OptiCoat Pro. Looks pretty damn good. Picture #2 is after a light paint correction and CQuartz Pro. Very happy customer.

That does look great. How do you go from car looking perfect to only washing every 3000 miles?? Ceramic is perfect for that scenario I bet. I wash MIN once/week so it looks just about perfect all the time. I get it now.
I wasn't a PPF believer when i came here so who knows...................
Old 05-30-2018, 10:35 AM
vwduud
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 911boy
That does look great. How do you go from car looking perfect to only washing every 3000 miles?? Ceramic is perfect for that scenario I bet. I wash MIN once/week so it looks just about perfect all the time. I get it now.
I wasn't a PPF believer when i came here so who knows...................
Right. I have to wash at least once a week, even with the ceramic coating on both the paint and wheels. Brake dust on the wheels alone requires cleaning, even on those weeks where we don’t get any rain.
Old 05-30-2018, 02:20 PM
Cubs2016
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the input. Sounds like if I wash my car frequently, I could do a paint-correction to bring out the best color and then see if that's enough for me before going ceramic. Probably will do a ppf on the front end too.
Old 05-30-2018, 02:47 PM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Cubs2016
Thanks for all the input. Sounds like if I wash my car frequently, I could do a paint-correction to bring out the best color and then see if that's enough for me before going ceramic. Probably will do a ppf on the front end too.
Do all three. Paint correction, then PPF, then ceramic coat, in that order. If you wash your car frequently it'll help protect the paint. The paint correction will make the car look better regardless of color. I do all three on every single car I buy, it's always the first thing I do right after picking them up.
The following users liked this post:
911Stalker (07-15-2020)
Old 05-30-2018, 02:51 PM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by reacher
Do all three. Paint correction, then PPF, then ceramic coat, in that order. If you wash your car frequently it'll help protect the paint. The paint correction will make the car look better regardless of color. I do all three on every single car I buy, it's always the first thing I do right after picking them up.
I drove mine from the dealer right down the street to my guys. They did minor no charge correction, PPF and 2 coats Ceramic Pro.
Old 05-31-2018, 12:04 PM
Jim137a
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 90 Posts

I tried a fairly new product that was recommended to me by Phil at Detailer’s Domain - HydroSilex. I applied it on my daily driver as well as my CGTS and am really pleased with the results relevant to the cost.

Phil said to use the dry method:

- wash and dry the car throughly.

- mist the HydroSilex on in small sections, I did a 3’ x 3’ area

- carefully wipe the HydroSilex onto the surface with a clean MF towel.

- immediately buff that area off with a another clean MF towel.

The application couldn’t have been easier and after approximately 6 weeks of rainy weather combined with pollen in the air as well as bug splatter my cars still look good to me. After driving on wet roads I do a quick touch up with a waterless car wash or detail spray and the bug splatter, pollen etc clean up very easily.

I also applied lied it to all the exterior glass as well inside of the glass on the drivers and passenger front glass, cleaning the glass after the HydroSilex application is a breeze now plus the inside glass is fairly smudge proof now.

I recommended it to a few friends and they are really pleased as well.
The following users liked this post:
911Stalker (07-15-2020)
Old 05-31-2018, 12:31 PM
Class5Kayaker
Pro

Received 212 Likes on 98 Posts

So it's essentially Rain-X for paint?
Old 05-31-2018, 12:40 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 671 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by Cubs2016
If you are working with a certain amount of money you want to spend, yes, I'd agree with spending the money on PPF first. It's my opinion that a high quality self-healing PPF provides the best protection against the most things, and the high-end PPF's are pretty glossy in themselves (mine is Suntek Ultra).

PPF just saved my mirror's paint from a door scrape (despite parking far out in the lot in what I thought was a safe spot!). The damaged PPF was easily and cheaply replaced and the paint underneath was unscathed.

Quick Reply: Ceramic coating worth it?