Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

911 T owners club

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2018, 03:08 PM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

Received 196 Likes on 117 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...ite-off-2.html Some different views on RWS in this thread.
Old 09-05-2018, 03:30 PM
ajskydiver
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts

It's tough reading these threads when your build hasn't locked...

I've been going back and forth between Bose and RAS. As of now, I've got them both in my build and wonder if I'd miss them if I didn't get them. Omitting Bose can be addressed easily but regretting not getting RAS can't, which is why I added it.

Of course, still not 100% on either.
Old 09-05-2018, 03:35 PM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Received 706 Likes on 425 Posts

Ive only seen 1 or 2 owners say they dont love RAS. On the other hand there are entire threads dedicated to bose upgrades. For the $ i personally think you can beat the performance enhancement you get.
Old 09-05-2018, 03:54 PM
ajskydiver
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Rennolazine
Ive only seen 1 or 2 owners say they dont love RAS. On the other hand there are entire threads dedicated to bose upgrades. For the $ i personally think you can beat the performance enhancement you get.
Since I'm pretty ignorant about car audio hardware, I'm reluctant to make changes from stock.

I know about the tweeter upgrade designed for the 991.1 and workable for .2 from Nick. I think if Musicar had the upgrade path 100% figured out in the 991.2, that would help since I don't want to waste $1600 on the Bose just to replace most of it.
Old 09-05-2018, 04:22 PM
Randy M
Drifting

Received 709 Likes on 322 Posts

Originally Posted by ajskydiver
It's tough reading these threads when your build hasn't locked...

I've been going back and forth between Bose and RAS. As of now, I've got them both in my build and wonder if I'd miss them if I didn't get them. Omitting Bose can be addressed easily but regretting not getting RAS can't, which is why I added it.

Of course, still not 100% on either.
When I ordered my car I had 2-3 priorities in mind. I wanted to order the car in a way that didn't diminish the reason for having the T in the lineup in the first place. That is a car you can drive everyday nearly everywhere, spirited, in relative comfort without sacrificing the performance potential, nor my connection to the car. A manual transmission was a must imo. The manual comes with PTV and LSD as well, good things to have. Never had a car with RAS, we'll see how I like it, heard good things about it etc.

Exterior aesthetics as well as interior appointments were also priorities so I ordered the black LED PDLS, tinted rear tails and black satin wheels, all of it to contrast the GT Silver paint. I think it'll all look great with tinted windows. For the interior I ordered the black/silver leather T package, heated 4 ways, heated multifunction wheel w/ leather wrapped column, Bose, and the light pkg. I wanted the interior inviting and a special place to be.

Track duty wasn't a priority so I didn't order LWB's. I had Pole Positions in my '98 C4S, they were a pain in the *** getting in and out of everyday. LWB's are a commitment so anyone who orders them should really think about them and whether or not they're willing to sacrifice daily practicality for them. The whole way you look and think about the car, consider driving it somewhere etc will hinge on your sentiments about those seats. I also didn't order ceramics. I think they're a waste for the street and/or reserved for models higher in the lineup. Kept the lightweight glass, no sunroof, but got FAL based on my experience in having it on my 997.2 GT3. Front lift is a good thing to have.

To conclude, I think I did well with my build. I didn't need the leather wrapped column, FAL isn't something you need, until you need it, but everything else I'm glad I got. I specifically chose not to get all of the idiot features like lane change assistant, lane departure warning, adaptive cruise etc. I don't think it's a bloated build at all, but I'm still just shy of $124K and the options I chose were spendy. The cost of the headlights and the leather were killers but I just had to have them. Here's my code:

Porsche Code
Old 09-05-2018, 05:04 PM
dlb
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy M
When I ordered my car I had 2-3 priorities in mind. I wanted to order the car in a way that didn't diminish the reason for having the T in the lineup in the first place. That is a car you can drive everyday nearly everywhere, spirited, in relative comfort without sacrificing the performance potential, nor my connection to the car. A manual transmission was a must imo. The manual comes with PTV and LSD as well, good things to have. Never had a car with RAS, we'll see how I like it, heard good things about it etc.

Exterior aesthetics as well as interior appointments were also priorities so I ordered the black LED PDLS, tinted rear tails and black satin wheels, all of it to contrast the GT Silver paint. I think it'll all look great with tinted windows. For the interior I ordered the black/silver leather T package, heated 4 ways, heated multifunction wheel w/ leather wrapped column, Bose, and the light pkg. I wanted the interior inviting and a special place to be.

Track duty wasn't a priority so I didn't order LWB's. I had Pole Positions in my '98 C4S, they were a pain in the *** getting in and out of everyday. LWB's are a commitment so anyone who orders them should really think about them and whether or not they're willing to sacrifice daily practicality for them. The whole way you look and think about the car, consider driving it somewhere etc will hinge on your sentiments about those seats. I also didn't order ceramics. I think they're a waste for the street and/or reserved for models higher in the lineup. Kept the lightweight glass, no sunroof, but got FAL based on my experience in having it on my 997.2 GT3. Front lift is a good thing to have.

To conclude, I think I did well with my build. I didn't need the leather wrapped column, FAL isn't something you need, until you need it, but everything else I'm glad I got. I specifically chose not to get all of the idiot features like lane change assistant, lane departure warning, adaptive cruise etc. I don't think it's a bloated build at all, but I'm still just shy of $124K and the options I chose were spendy. The cost of the headlights and the leather were killers but I just had to have them. Here's my code:

Porsche Code
That is a great spec. Love the color.
Old 09-05-2018, 05:09 PM
dlb
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Super quick update on my T. I drove it for about 1000 miles and decided to take it back into Porsche here in NYC and have them do the GIAC tune. While in I also had them fit the short shifter. I have to say that the shorter shift feels nice and tight but is a somewhat frivolous addition based on the stock shifter. The tune, however, makes a huge difference. The increase in torque is probably the most surprising element. Coupled with the quicker pickup, I'm very impressed. I'm not looking to recreate my GT3 days, but the extra power definitely adds a few more smiles per mile.
Old 09-05-2018, 09:16 PM
Copperhead37
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

In regards to RAS.
I have never driven a car with RAS. I currently own a 2014Cayman and love the car(except for the lack of power and torque) it is hands down the best handling car I have ever driven. I have had some experience with 911’s but personally preferred the handling of the cayman over 911’s UNTIL ******* I test drove a Carrera T with RAS ( I didn’t know it at the time). The dealership I test drove at had a huge parking lot. So I did some autoX type driving around light poles (very spirited) I then did a road test where I got the car up to 135 mph. Then hit some switch back curves in a spirited manner. ( my dealer is supper cool) the Carrera T way way way out handled my cayman both straight line and in the curves. It felt light,nimble, and stable and left me slack jawed. When I got out of the car I told the salesman I never drove a 911 that handled like that one. He then told me the car had RAS. I HAVE READ SOME SAY it is twitchy at speed and other things. I did not experience any of that. On my test drive. RAS was the first option box I checked and I ordered my carrera T the next day. (Delivery Jan) FWIW I would highly recommend RAS. I feel it is crucial to the overall driving experience of the T.
Old 09-05-2018, 09:27 PM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Received 706 Likes on 425 Posts

^yup. +1. Been driving mine like your test drive for over 2k miles. Never once did the car feel twitchy. Must have test driven like 10 different 991.1 and .2 and the only one that had RAS was a gts cab and when i back to backed it with a base it was like night and day difference with the understeer and overall steering effort. It eliminates the need for power steering plus IMO. The lane change velocity and high speed stability is amazing also. I think it even corrects the car when its super windy on the highway
Old 09-05-2018, 10:00 PM
Copperhead37
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeah it’s hard to describe how impressedi was. My cayman is stiff competition in the handling department. I upgraded the suspension to X73 sport, added gt3 sway bars. Added S brakes with Gt3 master cylinder, added gt4 short shifter. Added gt4front clip and Techart wing II ON THE REAR. It is nailed to the pavement. I was actually planning on doing a 4.L swap and LSD NEXT. TEST DRIVING THE T with RAS stopped me in my tracks.
Old 09-05-2018, 10:18 PM
Ukkid74
Burning Brakes

Received 599 Likes on 277 Posts
Default Akrapovic

I ordered the system today. Super excited ! I ll post pics showing the weight difference on my ups scale & install pics Went with the matte finish on the diffuser. No cats yet as they were another 3.5k
matty
Old 09-06-2018, 12:57 AM
dchang81
Instructor

Received 67 Likes on 28 Posts

Isn't RAS a feature only a few years old on 911's? The hyperbole on this thread reminds me of some audio websites i frequent where im an idiot for not spending thousands on upgrading my power cable or some hallgraphs for a paltry $1200. oh well next time i guess
Old 09-06-2018, 02:55 AM
seis-speed
Pro

Received 426 Likes on 186 Posts

Hello,
Looking seriously at 991 T. It would be my first Porsche. I have a few questions....
If this is not the place to post this let me know.

Questions:
When is production ending? Can I order a 2019 for Spring/Summer May/June European Delivery?
How limited is the car. Seems there are some for sale approx 49 on CarGuru at present time.
Is there a way to code off auto-rev so I can heel/toe myself?

Thanks for any responses!

PS: I love your cars

Last edited by seis-speed; 09-06-2018 at 09:27 PM.
Old 09-06-2018, 09:21 AM
Pep!RRRR
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

The only way I have found to heel and toe is to stay in normal (rather than Sport or Sport+) mode. Turning off Porsche Stability Management does NOT turn off autoblip. This would be ok, except the car runs much hotter in normal mode, which I dislike. Hopefully the blip can be coded out. I haven’t pursued this yet.

Porsche really seems clueless at times. Or more likely, they think so few people know how to heel and toe that they don’t give a $@*#.
Old 09-06-2018, 01:55 PM
Wing Commander
Drifting

Received 1,177 Likes on 433 Posts

Originally Posted by Ukkid74
I ordered the system today. Super excited ! I ll post pics showing the weight difference on my ups scale & install pics Went with the matte finish on the diffuser. No cats yet as they were another 3.5k
matty
Very much looking forward to hearing more about this, Matty.

I feel that the T could do with a better sound and I gather that Akrapovic is one of the best brands out there.

What kind of cost are you looking at?

Quick Reply: 911 T owners club