Sponsored by:

COTA GT3RS Write off

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2018, 02:23 PM
drdonger
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by RyanDDWPartners
This is a good friend of mine. He wanted me to post the vids. He’s ok but the car is totaled. He had track insurance so the car was fully covered. There was about $4500 in damage to the wall at COTA he had to pay for as well. He was on Hoosiers at the time and looking for the limits. He had run 2.21-2.22 earlier that day. He has a ton of laps at COTA and a good bit of experience.
Was traction control on?
Old 06-09-2018, 02:32 PM
RyanDDWPartners
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by drdonger
Was traction control on?
Yes it was
Old 06-09-2018, 02:46 PM
Laguna_Dude
Burning Brakes

Received 92 Likes on 33 Posts

TC on w/ESC off is also a dangerous combo at the track. because ESC off will allow car to over-rotate or rear to step out but with TC on, prevents from being able to smash the gas and power out of a loose rear-end situation. TC on kills the gas when sliding which makes it impossible to correct once the rear kicks out.
Old 06-09-2018, 03:12 PM
Wind911
Rennlist Member

Received 199 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by Laguna_Dude
TC on w/ESC off is also a dangerous combo at the track. because ESC off will allow car to over-rotate or rear to step out but with TC on, prevents from being able to smash the gas and power out of a loose rear-end situation. TC on kills the gas when sliding which makes it impossible to correct once the rear kicks out.
it it also depends on how good the TC is. Kevin Estre uses ESC off +TC on during his passenger demo Ring laps. You can see the TC going to work when he powering out of some corners.

Old 06-09-2018, 03:46 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,321 Likes on 614 Posts

Glad he's okay. Cars can be replaced. People can't.

Sign of his character that he wanted to have these videos posted. Will give (healthy) pause to others, myself included.
Old 06-09-2018, 05:04 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

Wow..glad he's ok and had track insurance to lessen the blow.

I just want to say ...and I do not know this guy...but just because a guy spins or wrecks at a DE doesn't mean he is a bad driver....the pros have off's all the time...things happen as we all know and I'm just glad a fellow Porsche and track enthusiast is OK to live another day.
Old 06-09-2018, 06:50 PM
Laguna_Dude
Burning Brakes

Received 92 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Wind911

it it also depends on how good the TC is. Kevin Estre uses ESC off +TC on during his passenger demo Ring laps. You can see the TC going to work when he powering out of some corners.

https://youtu.be/ySk3mA8Cigs
Yes, TC works great powering out of turns, allows some slip angle and drift. but if you have ESC OFF and TC on and you over-rotate during turn in and smash the gas and counter steer to correct, the TC won't allow power to the rear wheels and you will spin.
Old 06-09-2018, 11:19 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,374 Likes on 635 Posts

Guys- get the track insurance. Open Track is super easy to sign up for and you can get an unlimited policy- unlimited track days in a year. You can add multiple cars. I'm putting my senna on here for sure and very lucky to have not needed it in my P1.

This policy will also cover you for track days during european delivery.

Glad to hear the driver is ok- about 10 years ago I had a big off and hit a tire wall and was happy to be wearing a HANS and 5pt belts. The wall does not care about you or your body so gear up properly.
Old 06-10-2018, 01:13 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban

This policy will also cover you for track days during european delivery.
Really.... good timing and good to know!
Old 06-10-2018, 08:14 AM
disden
Drifting

Received 1,224 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by Laguna_Dude
i feel RWS is actually dangerous at the limit. the 991.1 RS calibration of RWS is also much more pronounced vs. 991.1 GT3; and it disrupts the car when grip levels are maxxed out. so if going though s-turns, going from a left turn into a right turn, if you are on the gas through the left and then as you turn in to right, you modulate off gas a little to shift weight forward for grip and at that same time RWS hits, the car will lost the rear vs. if same scenerio where to happen in non-RWS car, the rear would be fine. for example, they don't put RWS in their race cars because it creates noise to driver at limit and can be perceived and rear-traction loss or can disrupt car at limit, etc. when driving at 90% it's great, but once at 100% it will cause issues. i wish porsche would add a switch to turn RWS off and on, similar to sport button.
agree; small throttle lifts and quick steering inputs seem to unsettle the car more then anticipated. I’ve been assuming it’s the effect from RWS as it’s a very odd sensation in the car.
Old 06-10-2018, 08:44 AM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,086 Likes on 622 Posts

Originally Posted by montoya
Ultimately for me it changed my attitude for tracking and I switched to racing. Of course, I was Time Trialing so only one step away from racing, but after ‘buying’ a race car with a similar track incident in my GT3, I really did buy one and left my street cars on the street. Best of luck to him and the soul searching that inevitably happens. It sounds like your buddy is competitive- maybe when things settle down he should think about racing a cheaper car.
Fully agreed. At some point it just makes more sense. Plus I was 100% certain that fear of damaging my RS was slowing me down. No such fear in the race car - now it's all about fear of damaging myself not the the car.
Old 06-10-2018, 08:44 AM
KBS911
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 81 Posts

These cars are so fast and capable in stock condition and I have seen some incredibly talented and capable drivers with bone stock cars. Not a comment on this driver/event but as some mod their cars, pushing the limits and chasing their personal best, or DE championship points, sh&t is going to happen. Maybe at some point it's time to get a true race car to safely prepare for the inevitable in case of a get off. BTW, track insurance is a must for me, don't leave home for the track without it.
Old 06-10-2018, 04:34 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,675 Likes on 777 Posts

Track insurance, take care of your car, roll bar/cage, harnes, Hans, SC on and recognize when you get overheated / start losing concentration, pick groups that run in a safe manner with participants that do what they can to prevent dropping oil or coolant is about all we can do.

Still. We all have or will at some point..

Kudos to driver for sharing Ring and driving the crap out an RS didn’t get hurt, pay deductible - lesson learned.
Old 06-10-2018, 04:35 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,675 Likes on 777 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Really.... good timing and good to know!

Old 06-10-2018, 08:15 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 785 Likes on 570 Posts

Cost on One Track Insurance per year? Variable depending on number of track days?

Quick Reply: COTA GT3RS Write off