Sponsored by:

911 T owners club

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2023, 06:04 PM
Wing Commander
Drifting

Received 1,219 Likes on 448 Posts

Originally Posted by timothymoffat
With a lock date for the new 992 looming, I'm still very much on the fence, possibly still on the 991.2 T side. I'm not convinced the 992 moves the game forward from the 991. Looks are subjective of course but I do find the rear of the 992 a bit "fussy" in some of the details. The larger size and increased weight of the new car don't do it any favours. On the inside, the switch to a more "screen-centric" dashboard and layout is something I struggle with in a sports car. Coming from a 993 into my current 991.2 T, I found it to be a perfect blend of new technology and information combined with proper dials and switches that "click". Also, I'm disappointed that PCCBs and, initially at least, the buckets are not available. No, the car doesn't likely NEED the ceramic brakes but I for one WOULD tick the box. The buckets are something I would skip as I like the usefulness of the rear seats BUT I think it's important they are available for this sub-model to stick with what the car is supposed to be. Lastly, and this is a big one, price has risen very significantly since the 991 T. I've also noticed that some previous standard equipment, such as race-tex roof lining, is now optional which increases the price that much more as does the non-availability of a Bose stereo upgrade meaning a LARGE $6K jump to Burmeister.

Porsche really nailed it with the 991.2 T. Not so sold on the 992........

Stick with your 991.2 T. You love it, and it’s a classic.
The following users liked this post:
timothymoffat (02-13-2023)
Old 02-13-2023, 06:25 PM
Ikone
Three Wheelin'

Received 807 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by timothymoffat
With a lock date for the new 992 looming, I'm still very much on the fence, possibly still on the 991.2 T side. I'm not convinced the 992 moves the game forward from the 991. Looks are subjective of course but I do find the rear of the 992 a bit "fussy" in some of the details. The larger size and increased weight of the new car don't do it any favours. On the inside, the switch to a more "screen-centric" dashboard and layout is something I struggle with in a sports car. Coming from a 993 into my current 991.2 T, I found it to be a perfect blend of new technology and information combined with proper dials and switches that "click". Also, I'm disappointed that PCCBs and, initially at least, the buckets are not available. No, the car doesn't likely NEED the ceramic brakes but I for one WOULD tick the box. The buckets are something I would skip as I like the usefulness of the rear seats BUT I think it's important they are available for this sub-model to stick with what the car is supposed to be. Lastly, and this is a big one, price has risen very significantly since the 991 T. I've also noticed that some previous standard equipment, such as race-tex roof lining, is now optional which increases the price that much more as does the non-availability of a Bose stereo upgrade meaning a LARGE $6K jump to Burmeister.

Porsche really nailed it with the 991.2 T. Not so sold on the 992........

According to most Rennlisters, the car they own is the best one and everything else just falls short for one reason or another, even if it's a later model. There's always some justification to make themselves feel like this is true and what they have is the best. It's very subjective to say the least.
Rennlist is full of 'I'm glad I bought the last of the _____ (fill in blank here). I don't care for the new _____ (fill in blank here). What was Porsche thinking?'

If you go with that mentality, then the 991.2T that you own is the best car. But....if you end up buying the 992T, then that will be the best car. It's a win win situation.

Old 02-13-2023, 07:03 PM
Alc
Racer

Received 520 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by Ikone
According to most Rennlisters, the car they own is the best one and everything else just falls short for one reason or another, even if it's a later model. There's always some justification to make themselves feel like this is true and what they have is the best. It's very subjective to say the least.
Rennlist is full of 'I'm glad I bought the last of the _____ (fill in blank here). I don't care for the new _____ (fill in blank here). What was Porsche thinking?'

If you go with that mentality, then the 991.2T that you own is the best car. But....if you end up buying the 992T, then that will be the best car. It's a win win situation.
@Ikone which one do you now own that’s the best?
Old 02-13-2023, 07:06 PM
Ikone
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Alc
@Ikone which one do you now own that’s the best?
LOL. I sold my 991.2T and getting ready to order a 992T. I'll let you know once I have it. .
My RS3 is my daily, so that puts a smile on my face in the meantime.
Old 02-13-2023, 08:37 PM
Alc
Racer

LOL. I sold my 991.2T and getting ready to order a 992T. I'll let you know once I have it. .
My RS3 is my daily, so that puts a smile on my face in the meantime.
Audi’s are great cars…loved my B5 S4 MT. Off topic but that may have been last Bose stereo in a car I thought was spectacular. Why did you sell your 991.2T? Not your Cup of “T”, didn’t like the spec, or just like newer tech?
Old 02-13-2023, 09:51 PM
Ikone
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Alc
Audi’s are great cars…loved my B5 S4 MT. Off topic but that may have been last Bose stereo in a car I thought was spectacular. Why did you sell your 991.2T? Not your Cup of “T”, didn’t like the spec, or just like newer tech?
Man, I wish I had MT in my RS3, but I probably still would have gone for the dual clutch since my wife has to be able to drive it once in a while. :/
It's got the Bang and Olufsen system, and I love every bit of it. That's why for the 992T, I'm springing for the Burmester. Overkill, but I love music.

I sold the 991.2T because I didn't really want to keep it beyond the warranty period. I was too worried that I'd have some problem and it would be too expensive of a repair. Also, like you said, newer tech. I do appreciate a lot of the design features of the 991.2T, but I didn't let myself get too emotionally attached. Even though it was my first 911 and it's been a dream for 40 years. I think my dream garage though would be a GT3 Touring (992) and a late year 964 or 993 (but scared of repairs there as well). Until then, I'll probably upgrade to the latest T. In my opinion the 992 will be a better 911 but very slightly so. And most of it probably in the handling and tech departments. I'd rather get the latest and greatest if I can afford it. And I totally agree with the folks that talk about the price increase. It's crazy that I have to pay 25-30K more for almost the same car. Then again, I didn't lose anything on the sale of mine. On the contrary.
Old 02-15-2023, 12:52 AM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,007 Likes on 1,776 Posts

You're ahead of me in that I haven't owned a 991. However, though I have an order for a 992T, it's only because finding the right 991.2T where I live has been a needle in haystack exercise. I get my car around June and I have mixed feelings about it. Still hoping I'll find the right 991.2. I view the 992 as a placeholder car.
Ikone (02-20-2023)
Old 02-15-2023, 10:44 AM
Alc
Racer

Originally Posted by avid
You're ahead of me in that I haven't owned a 991. However, though I have an order for a 992T, it's only because finding the right 991.2T where I live has been a needle in haystack exercise. I get my car around June and I have mixed feelings about it. Still hoping I'll find the right 991.2. I view the 992 as a placeholder car.
not to sway your decision but I had driven most of the 991 lineup before the T was ever announced or even photos of testing etc. and after driving these cars only knew I wanted the smallest and lightest Carrera model with a MT and PCCBs…a few months later they announced the T and I was all in. I even got to test drive a Yellow T which was on the lot (remember those long ago days) and knew the T was the exact Porsche I wanted. Like my wife said if I get one it’s “one and done”. Fast forward 18 months and I’m buying my wife a Cayman S which she now wants to upgrade to a Spyder…I guess one and done only pertains to me LOL. After being in the 992, Taycan, and Macan I come to understand technology (screens) does not add to driving pleasure especially in the 911 and Cayman; which is why so many people like Ikone also want a 964 or whatever. Heck if I could fill my garage I’d find a reasonably priced 996 GT3 for along side my T and be happy…but my 991.2T is bliss and the GT3 would just be an additive not a replacement. The new GT3s weirdly do not peak my interest but probably because I dont want to get back into the world of being a collector and afraid to drive a car due to value and the fact that in second gear you’re doing 100mph to hear that engine.

all that to say if a 991.2T is what you want, it’s out there, just be patient and it will show up but in this market be ready to pounce. There might a few great ones that come to market when the 992T reaches our shores as there will ALWAYS be those who want/need the “latest and greatest” technology in their 911s.
Ikone (02-20-2023)
Old 02-15-2023, 10:51 AM
jhalliman
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Alc
not to sway your decision but I had driven most of the 991 lineup before the T was ever announced or even photos of testing etc. and after driving these cars only knew I wanted the smallest and lightest Carrera model with a MT and PCCBs…a few months later they announced the T and I was all in. I even got to test drive a Yellow T which was on the lot (remember those long ago days) and knew the T was the exact Porsche I wanted. Like my wife said if I get one it’s “one and done”. Fast forward 18 months and I’m buying my wife a Cayman S which she now wants to upgrade to a Spyder…I guess one and done only pertains to me LOL. After being in the 992, Taycan, and Macan I come to understand technology (screens) does not add to driving pleasure especially in the 911 and Cayman; which is why so many people like Ikone also want a 964 or whatever. Heck if I could fill my garage I’d find a reasonably priced 996 GT3 for along side my T and be happy…but my 991.2T is bliss and the GT3 would just be an additive not a replacement. The new GT3s weirdly do not peak my interest but probably because I dont want to get back into the world of being a collector and afraid to drive a car due to value and the fact that in second gear you’re doing 100mph to hear that engine.

all that to say if a 991.2T is what you want, it’s out there, just be patient and it will show up but in this market be ready to pounce. There might a few great ones that come to market when the 992T reaches our shores as there will ALWAYS be those who want/need the “latest and greatest” technology in their 911s.
To this point: I’ve owned a lot of cars. Powerful, new, old, otherwise a 991.2T is the most fun street car of anything produced in the past decade or two to me. Not the most extreme, just the most fun while remaining usable enough to use it constantly. Throw a basic stage 1 tune on there and it’s as fast as you can reasonably use for any street car. I see no reason to change from this vehicle to something else, especially not something more modern.
spyderbret (02-15-2023)
Old 02-15-2023, 11:06 AM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Alc

Originally Posted by jhalliman
To this point: I’ve owned a lot of cars. Powerful, new, old, otherwise a 991.2T is the most fun street car of anything produced in the past decade or two to me. Not the most extreme, just the most fun while remaining usable enough to use it constantly. Throw a basic stage 1 tune on there and it’s as fast as you can reasonably use for any street car. I see no reason to change from this vehicle to something else, especially not something more modern.
I agree with both of you. @Alc I'm on the same boat. I'm 50 and I'm "building a collection of dead man's cars" that matter to me only. The 991.2T will be a part of it. The 992T has a certain appeal and I'm sure I'll enjoy it while I have it but I don't think it will be in my stable long. Still on the prowl for that elusive 991.2T. I've actually found it. I just need to either pay up the ridiculous asking price or keep looking. Also, the Spyder is another amazing car. Especially the 987 vintage. Looking for one of those too. Perhaps sell the wife on the "classic" idea and then you can borrow it too. Haha.
Ørjan (02-21-2023)
Old 02-15-2023, 11:10 AM
jhalliman
Rennlist Member

I agree with both of you. @Alc I'm on the same boat. I'm 50 and I'm "building a collection of dead man's cars" that matter to me only. The 991.2T will be a part of it. The 992T has a certain appeal and I'm sure I'll enjoy it while I have it but I don't think it will be in my stable long. Still on the prowl for that elusive 991.2T. I've actually found it. I just need to either pay up the ridiculous asking price or keep looking. Also, the Spyder is another amazing car. Especially the 987 vintage. Looking for one of those too. Perhaps sell the wife on the "classic" idea and then you can borrow it too. Haha.
The 987 Spyder is looking cooler by the day as everything continues to get bigger, brawnier and more stuffed with features.
Wilder (02-15-2023)
Old 02-15-2023, 11:19 AM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

The 987 Spyder is looking cooler by the day as everything continues to get bigger, brawnier and more stuffed with features.
If you haven't already done so, wait till you drive one...
Old 02-15-2023, 11:20 AM
jhalliman
Rennlist Member

If you haven't already done so, wait till you drive one...
I'm in my "kids so young you can use the back seat of a 911" phase of life so maybe that'll be a future treat when I actually have time to use the vehicle without small people in tow. For now, the T is the ultimate school bus.
polobai (02-15-2023)
Old 02-15-2023, 11:26 AM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

I'm in my "kids so young you can use the back seat of a 911" phase of life so maybe that'll be a future treat when I actually have time to use the vehicle without small people in tow. For now, the T is the ultimate school bus.
Absolutely!
Old 02-15-2023, 11:58 AM
boilermaker_yv
Advanced

Received 57 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by cooler2442
Obviously the market is softening with the last two BaT T's going to the following max bids:

7MT, PCCB, 7k Mile, LWB big MSRP T ended at 92k
10k mile PDK LWB ended at 80k

What do you guys think the following T is worth? 7MT, 119k MSRP, No RAS or LWB's, Sunroof Delete, T Interior Package, Guards Red with 22k miles. Friend offered me his but seems a bit hard to price when you're trying to catch a falling knife.
Max bids on no reserve auctions? so actually sold at those prices? I'd say $90-95k is a fair price for your friend's T, if he trades in he'll get $82-$85k from a dealer.
Honinspire02 (02-15-2023)

Quick Reply: 911 T owners club