Sponsored by:

911 T owners club

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2023, 03:14 AM
jmacie3
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by burnurass
I also wanted the rear seats so found one with out buckets, and then put 997 GT2 buckets in. Now I have the best of both worlds. The Carbon Buckets are thinner than the stock seats so it actually netted me more legroom for both the driver & rear baby seats

this is so awesome. How hard was the install? I heard transferring occupancy sensors and stuff is a pain. Sourcing the seats seems pretty hard these days too
Old 01-15-2023, 07:04 PM
SF_
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 51 Posts

I just picked up 000 magazine issue #6 (summer 2018) - there's some great content in there on our T - highly recommend.
The following 4 users liked this post by SF_:
F1SML8R (01-15-2023), spyderbret (01-16-2023), stout (01-16-2023), Wing Commander (01-16-2023)
Old 01-15-2023, 10:57 PM
Zylinderkopfdichtung
Rennlist Member

Received 566 Likes on 194 Posts

I had intended to post this in a thread about the Function First transmission insert. I decided to post it here as the most pertinent part of my semi-review is the enhanced “T-ness” that I feel with the insert.

I just installed the yellow Function First transmission mount insert. I also installed AWE sport catalytic converters at the same time, so my before and after experiences are somewhat tainted.

I have a Carrera T with the thin glass and reduced sound deadening, plus LWBS that transfer more NVH than other seats. I also have AP Racing brakes front and rear which may transfer a bit more NVH than the stock setup.

The NVH increase is apparent, but I really like it. The T feels “a little more T” with the insert installed. There’s a minor resonance at around 4K but it’s nothing close to a drone, and it’s definitely not unpleasant. Using words to describe the difference doesn’t really do it justice, but I liken the change to the car being more “taut” now. The appeal of the T is the rawness and theater that it presents. The insert turns that up a noticeable amount.

I’ll report back after more experience.

Last edited by Zylinderkopfdichtung; 01-16-2023 at 08:06 PM.
The following 6 users liked this post by Zylinderkopfdichtung:
Alc (01-16-2023), F1SML8R (01-16-2023), minh (01-15-2023), S S (01-15-2023), Snyper886 (01-16-2023), spdracerut (01-16-2023) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-15-2023, 11:49 PM
S S
Burning Brakes

Received 887 Likes on 400 Posts

Even more taut. Wow! Any noticeable change with the PSC on or off as well? How about when you set the chassis to Sport mode? Pretty cool that a little insert can have that much effect on the character...

SS
Old 01-16-2023, 01:49 AM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,007 Likes on 1,776 Posts

Originally Posted by Alc
I’ve been keeping up with the 992T thread and I’ve come to the conclusion…Porsche officially killed the T via options. People are arguing about Ethos of the T, burmester, surround view and the other million+1 options you can now get. The 992T doesn’t have a centric identity anymore. Keep ‘em if you got ‘em! The T is now just a base with a manual transmission with all the options…..except PCCB, Bose, and LWBS muhaha!
I ordered a 992T as a placeholder for the right 991T. Where I live, it's a needle in a haystack exercise. I'm unexcited about the 992 in general and for those who argued that the T is a parts bin special, the 992 definitely lives up to the judgement.
The following 2 users liked this post by Wilder:
F1SML8R (01-16-2023), GT3FZS (01-16-2023)
Old 01-16-2023, 02:25 PM
S S
Burning Brakes

And several, to me, key parts are no longer in the bin...

Although I am apparently in a minority:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...omments-anchor

Fascinating.

SS

Last edited by S S; 01-16-2023 at 05:08 PM. Reason: Added the BaT link...
The following users liked this post:
F1SML8R (01-16-2023)
Old 01-17-2023, 10:06 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 1,033 Likes on 464 Posts

Late to this thread. On my second 991 T already. First was a white PDK with 34500km when purchased September 2nd then traded for a Jet black Metallic manual/Rear-steer car with just 8000km 43 days later (both low option cars with 4-way seats, rear seats, Bose, and not much else). Supposed to be an interim car while waiting for(ever) 992GTS build. The 991.2 T is a revelation. The 992 order has been converted from GTS to T. But it's possible I already possess MY perfect modern 911. Everything I want in a 911 and nothing I don't. The ONLY option I regret my car not having is PCCB which I don't actually NEED anyway.

I think Porsche hit one out of the park in the last inning of 991 production.
The following 10 users liked this post by timothymoffat:
BlackOptic (01-21-2023), F1SML8R (01-18-2023), GT3FZS (01-27-2023), MannyLon (01-20-2023), Pivot (01-27-2023), S S (01-17-2023), Sarawnty (01-18-2023), spyderbret (01-18-2023), Wing Commander (01-18-2023), Zylinderkopfdichtung (01-18-2023) and 5 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-18-2023, 03:44 PM
911T991
Intermediate

Received 45 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by timothymoffat
Late to this thread. On my second 991 T already. First was a white PDK with 34500km when purchased September 2nd then traded for a Jet black Metallic manual/Rear-steer car with just 8000km 43 days later (both low option cars with 4-way seats, rear seats, Bose, and not much else). Supposed to be an interim car while waiting for(ever) 992GTS build. The 991.2 T is a revelation. The 992 order has been converted from GTS to T. But it's possible I already possess MY perfect modern 911. Everything I want in a 911 and nothing I don't. The ONLY option I regret my car not having is PCCB which I don't actually NEED anyway.

I think Porsche hit one out of the park in the last inning of 991 production.
I went through the same experience as you and feel the same.

I recently bought a well-optioned 991.2 T while I worked on getting a 992T allocation. I ended up getting a 992T allocation at MSRP with May delivery but after driving the 991.2T, I decided to cancel the 992T order yesterday. My current T checks all the boxes and I like that it's a narrow body, feels smaller, has analog gauges, has less tech (but still CarPlay) and has options not available on the 992 like buckets, PCCB, etc. And while PCCBs are great but I wouldn't call them a deal breaker...
The following 5 users liked this post by 911T991:
GT3FZS (01-27-2023), MannyLon (01-20-2023), skl (01-20-2023), timothymoffat (01-24-2023), Zylinderkopfdichtung (01-18-2023)
Old 01-20-2023, 03:28 PM
MannyLon
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 68 Posts

No point in getting a 992 T if you have a 991 T imo.
The following 5 users liked this post by MannyLon:
911T991 (01-28-2023), GT3FZS (01-27-2023), S S (01-20-2023), spyderbret (01-20-2023), timothymoffat (01-24-2023)
Old 01-27-2023, 01:25 PM
Jeahbladejeah
Rennlist Member

Received 275 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeahbladejeah
Well friends, there's one less T on the road this morning. Today is a sad day.

Thought I would share an update in case anyone is still curious. Also, I have a question/need advice!

The car sat at the body shop for 3.5 weeks before they had time to run an initial estimate. I'm sure holidays played a role, but the delay had me itching. That initial estimate, which was only what they could see (not tearing anything apart yet), was about $75k. The insurance company then 'reviewed it' (i.e. sat on it) for another week an a half and finally declared the car a total loss.

We're still going back and forth on the final payout. Fortunately I have an agreed value insurance policy at $105k, so that should be the lowest amount I receive. They also do a separate appraisal using market comps (in case it's actually valued higher than the agreed value) which came back at $99k... I felt it was a generic, bland appraisal, with very little if any effort put into determining the cost of my specific car if I were to try to purchase one today. I raised a stink because it seemed clear to me that this company did not perform adequate diligence... no credit for PCCBs, and several inconsistencies in the report with respect to the three car's options. I pushed hard for a re-appraisal and my insurance company thankfully agreed, so that's now underway by an estimator who has experience with exotic cars. I still have low confidence, but it's something.

There is one interesting alternative to a full payout, and this is where the question lies. They've assigned a salvage value for the car of ~$30k. So, I could opt to take the payout less $30k and take back the damaged vehicle. This had me thinking whether I should try to part it out. The PCCBs are still in good shape. The carbon bucket seats are in good used condition. The engine is still in working order. Am I crazy to think these three items alone could pull in way more than $30k? On top of that, the turbos, intercoolers, and clutch (and more?) could be sold off. And then my aftermarket headers, sports cats, inlet tubes, BOVs, AOS, air filter, and shifter cables (which are currently stuck with the car), could be sold (or I keep them for my next 991.2), plus sell the stock versions of everything -- except the headers, those things are PsOS.

I'm torn. On the one hand, it seems like right now is a perfect time to be parting out hard-to find, or otherwise expensive (retail) parts. On the other hand, I really have no idea how I would tear the car apart to get these pieces, nor how to get reasonable value for them. Maybe I could find a salvage company to pay me more than the $30k and just offload it all together? Or do I give it to my Indy and have them disassemble it for me? Or are there companies/people who specialize in this?

I feel like a crazy person for even considering this route, but if the economics are there, why not? Anyone have thoughts or input?
Old 01-27-2023, 01:37 PM
Multimodal
Rennlist Member

Received 398 Likes on 165 Posts

You can get $5K-$10K for PCCBs, $10K-$15K for the Bucket Seats. Not sure about the engine but I'm sure it's worth a chunk of change.

It will be more work to part it out than you think and you will make less money than you estimate. Your earnings per hour will be low. Don't do it for profit; only do it if it would be a fun project for you.
The following 2 users liked this post by Multimodal:
Jeahbladejeah (01-27-2023), myrr (01-27-2023)
Old 01-27-2023, 04:40 PM
911T4ME
Rennlist Member

Received 186 Likes on 106 Posts

I'd not buy it back from insurance. Having it around will remind you of the unfortunate event and prolong the bad MOJO. I also agree that it will take longer than you think or cost more than you'd like to remove the goodies on it and it will be a hassle selling them. Luckily you have an agreed value policy. I'd take your money and move on. PS - I've been in your situation before.
The following 2 users liked this post by 911T4ME:
GT3FZS (01-27-2023), Jeahbladejeah (01-27-2023)
Old 01-27-2023, 05:12 PM
Pivot
Burning Brakes

Received 1,640 Likes on 601 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeahbladejeah
Thought I would share an update in case anyone is still curious. Also, I have a question/need advice!

The car sat at the body shop for 3.5 weeks before they had time to run an initial estimate. I'm sure holidays played a role, but the delay had me itching. That initial estimate, which was only what they could see (not tearing anything apart yet), was about $75k. The insurance company then 'reviewed it' (i.e. sat on it) for another week an a half and finally declared the car a total loss.

We're still going back and forth on the final payout. Fortunately I have an agreed value insurance policy at $105k, so that should be the lowest amount I receive. They also do a separate appraisal using market comps (in case it's actually valued higher than the agreed value) which came back at $99k... I felt it was a generic, bland appraisal, with very little if any effort put into determining the cost of my specific car if I were to try to purchase one today. I raised a stink because it seemed clear to me that this company did not perform adequate diligence... no credit for PCCBs, and several inconsistencies in the report with respect to the three car's options. I pushed hard for a re-appraisal and my insurance company thankfully agreed, so that's now underway by an estimator who has experience with exotic cars. I still have low confidence, but it's something.

There is one interesting alternative to a full payout, and this is where the question lies. They've assigned a salvage value for the car of ~$30k. So, I could opt to take the payout less $30k and take back the damaged vehicle. This had me thinking whether I should try to part it out. The PCCBs are still in good shape. The carbon bucket seats are in good used condition. The engine is still in working order. Am I crazy to think these three items alone could pull in way more than $30k? On top of that, the turbos, intercoolers, and clutch (and more?) could be sold off. And then my aftermarket headers, sports cats, inlet tubes, BOVs, AOS, air filter, and shifter cables (which are currently stuck with the car), could be sold (or I keep them for my next 991.2), plus sell the stock versions of everything -- except the headers, those things are PsOS.

I'm torn. On the one hand, it seems like right now is a perfect time to be parting out hard-to find, or otherwise expensive (retail) parts. On the other hand, I really have no idea how I would tear the car apart to get these pieces, nor how to get reasonable value for them. Maybe I could find a salvage company to pay me more than the $30k and just offload it all together? Or do I give it to my Indy and have them disassemble it for me? Or are there companies/people who specialize in this?

I feel like a crazy person for even considering this route, but if the economics are there, why not? Anyone have thoughts or input?

I would buy back and sell to Indi for spare parts.

Alt, if you have the patience, do a Mad Max conversion at fraction of the cost that will outrun any villain on the salt lakes 8-)
Old 01-27-2023, 05:41 PM
S S
Burning Brakes

While I agree with the points expressed above, I would say the figures quoted for re-comp are low. You could make way more than 30k with the buy back, especially with all the engine parts (if you don't just hold those for the next car)...

Something to think about, depending on whether you would want to get another 991.2 T... You could probably find a 'stripper' for what your insurance is going to HOPEFULLY pay you after the re-eval... and then you have all those parts ready to throw on it. If you are keeping it for a while, that is definitely what I would do. If it is a temporary fix until the next thing, then that is a different calculus. I'd still want the parts back on principle, as seeing those all go away for 30k makes me sad. I had Customs seize a race bike I had bought/built overseas once... and I still shudder to recall it going under the press. Titanium and carbon don't look good squashed... Ultimately your call. Just do what allows you to sleep at night.

Really, really glad this wasn't worse. I assume, per your above, nothing further from the police on making the folks who did it pay for their crime?

SS
The following users liked this post:
Jeahbladejeah (01-28-2023)
Old 01-27-2023, 08:38 PM
Jeahbladejeah
Rennlist Member

Received 275 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by S S
I assume, per your above, nothing further from the police on making the folks who did it pay for their crime?
Nada. I actually forfeited the right to a criminal investigation the night of the wreck when I refused to stand in sub freezing temps for three hours to wait for a cruiser who could file a report. And Denver’s police budget is at all time highs. Go figure. I guess because there was no emergency it’s a low priority. (I do legitimately understand this policy, but it sucks when it applies to you.)

Acknowledging that I have very little knowledge of the used parts market, I think I agree with your value comment. The PCCB rotors and calipers should be closer to $15k. Buckets maybe $15k. So engine and others would be gravy, and I suspect the engine could pull $20k alone. So even if my costs are $10k for disassembly and storage, I’m ahead by $10k before the small stuff.

Although, assuming there’s truth to other comments, maybe I’m closer to break even on the big ticket items and then I have to slog for any upside. It’s a tough call.

Quick Reply: 911 T owners club