Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

911 T owners club

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2021, 03:58 PM
Ikone
Three Wheelin'

Received 838 Likes on 416 Posts

I'm in a similar dilemma with trading the T in for a 911S or Targa4S. I personally wouldn't be able to go to a Cayman psychologically since the 911 has always been my dream car and it would always feel like a step down, even if it really isn't. I also can't do cars with huge wings. I'm 49, and wouldn't have an issue driving one, but I just don't like the look unless I'm tracking it (which I'm not). So from your perspective, I'd say go for it. You can always get another 911 down the road if you don't like it. And maybe by then the 992T will be out. Good luck!
Old 06-23-2021, 04:41 PM
Guaji
Racer

Received 283 Likes on 149 Posts

I am presently going thru this decision since I have a Spyder arriving in September. My choices are do I sell my 2018 T or my 2003 C4S which I bought last October. I can obviously get a lot more money for the T and have more money in the bank for when the Spyder arrives. I love my T , so I decided to keep it and sell the C4S. Not an easy decision since the rational side says sell the one I can get more money for …..I can probably get at least $50,000 more for the T. I am just not ready to sell it. I also prefer the RWD to the AWD of the C4S.

I kinda think of the Spyder as a GT4 Touring since it doesn’t have the wing. I didn’t want the wing, even though it does look very nice.
The following users liked this post:
BA73 (06-23-2021)
Old 06-23-2021, 04:57 PM
Watson
Burning Brakes

Received 326 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by Guaji
I am presently going thru this decision since I have a Spyder arriving in September. My choices are do I sell my 2018 T or my 2003 C4S which I bought last October. I can obviously get a lot more money for the T and have more money in the bank for when the Spyder arrives. I love my T , so I decided to keep it and sell the C4S. Not an easy decision since the rational side says sell the one I can get more money for …..I can probably get at least $50,000 more for the T. I am just not ready to sell it. I also prefer the RWD to the AWD of the C4S.

I kinda think of the Spyder as a GT4 Touring since it doesn’t have the wing. I didn’t want the wing, even though it does look very nice.
difficult choice financially wise but probably the choice of your heart hence cannot be wrong. Keep the cars you love the most and get rid of the ones you don’t feel so strongly about. Sometimes, I just wonder which car I would keep if I could only have one for the rest of my life and it just makes it easier to find which one(s) has(have) to go.
Old 06-23-2021, 05:35 PM
Schn3ll
Burning Brakes

Received 1,101 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by Guaji

I do like the spyder and wish they had the ducktail option for a GT4 touring as that would be the one I would get. I just don't really want a soft top, I love the look but have had bad experiences in the past.

I think what it comes down to for me is, will I like the naturally aspirated engine and GT bits enough to forgive the wing and that it's not a 911? Now if my T had sofa, and a more vibrant color maybe I wouldn't even be having this conversation.

I love the idea of speccing one from scratch and would do some special stuff like blue stitching possibly.

Curious if any other T owners have experience going to or coming from a GT4?
Old 06-23-2021, 05:56 PM
JOSCAL
Racer

Received 258 Likes on 143 Posts

Tough decision. I had a new GT4 for six months and found it too hardcore. It had buckets which were uncomfortable for me at 6 3” and too harsh for the dreadful roads locally that have all been dug up and botch repaired by utility companies. I’ve always hankered after a GT but it didn’t float my boat despite trying to like it.

I also felt a bit self conscious with the wing!

I traded it for a T and absolutely love it as it’s far more comfortable and compliant yet still feels special.

Last edited by JOSCAL; 06-23-2021 at 06:36 PM.
Wing Commander (06-23-2021)
Old 06-23-2021, 06:03 PM
Guaji
Racer

Received 283 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by Schn3ll
I do like the spyder and wish they had the ducktail option for a GT4 touring as that would be the one I would get. I just don't really want a soft top, I love the look but have had bad experiences in the past.

I think what it comes down to for me is, will I like the naturally aspirated engine and GT bits enough to forgive the wing and that it's not a 911? Now if my T had sofa, and a more vibrant color maybe I wouldn't even be having this conversation.

I love the idea of speccing one from scratch and would do some special stuff like blue stitching possibly.

Curious if any other T owners have experience going to or coming from a GT4?
When I sold my Audi TT roadster in 2007, I said no more convertibles. I like the shape of the coupe 911 and Cayman. However, I find the shape of the Spyder very distinctive. Also, like you, I feel this is a great chance to spec a GT car to my liking. The GT3 is another level and price bracket. It will be even more difficult to get an allocation at MSRP.

In regards to going from a T to a GT4, I wish I could help. I did sell a 718 Cayman GTS 2.5 liter for my Carrera T. What I noticed first was the sound. The cabin in the T is quieter than the Cayman due to the rear engine layout. I believe the engine sounds are amplified on the Cayman due to the engine being right behind you. I drove my friends Spyder top down and before the GPF delete. It sounded very good especially above 4000 rpms since a vacuum line opens around then. I will delete the GPF too and consider unplugging the vacuum line to keep it open. But honestly, I equally love how my T sounds on the inside even though it sounds muted on the outside. My T is stock.

The six speed manual shift feels nicer than the 7 speed. However, my T lives up to the ethos of Touring, with 18 way seats. It is great for road trips and ripping around the canyons. And on the highway in 7th gear the interior sound is much quieter than on the highway at the same speed than in 6th gear of the Cayman. Going from the Cayman to T , I was worried about loosing the nimble feeling of the 718, but my T has RAS which I like. If you can test drive any 718, do so. The mid engine feels different but not necessarily better. I can’t wait to drive the Spyder in the canyons with LWBS, but both engine layouts are fun. If someday I need to sell one, I will do so. I am looking for a car to keep long term. At the moment, the T is a strong contender. I bought my T with 700 miles on it in December 2018.

Last edited by Guaji; 06-24-2021 at 02:40 AM.
Schn3ll (06-25-2021)
Old 06-23-2021, 11:09 PM
737gdog
Burning Brakes

Received 574 Likes on 290 Posts

Great choice to have. Either way, fortunate and enjoy your car. I’d like both but also want an Aston, a vette, a gt350 and many other cars.
Old 06-24-2021, 05:07 AM
kobyh15
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

I’ve been doing some cross-shopping of P cars in the 100-120K range and there are some interesting choices. I love the T and would probably put it at the top for me, but the Cayman GTS 4.0 is in this range. It’s tempting. Has anyone driven the GTS 4.0 6-speed?
Old 06-24-2021, 07:47 AM
lamacan
Rennlist Member

Received 423 Likes on 238 Posts

throwing it out a feeler. i just placed a GT3 Touring order and the market is crazy on the T right now, at least listing prices. Palm Springs Porsche, where I bought my car, has a $116k msrp 2019 T for sale at $500 OVER MSRP. two dealers offered to buy my car for $100K, including them. it's a $127k MSRP T. if anyone is interested, would happily sell it to an enthusiast/T friend here. GT Silver, T Interior in silver, 4 way, PDK, glass sunroof, RAS, black wheels, sportdesign bumper. Only mods are soul cats, Cup 2s, stainless lines with SRF. first service just done at 7,500 miles. 2nd service included when i bought it. $8,000 of PPF and Ceramic on entire front end, mirrors, and rear bumper. i also got oem alcantara A and B pillars put in to get rid of the ugly plastic after buying it and an extra painted/backup front lip I will include. not going to list, but if anyone is interested or knows anyone interested, feel free to reach out.

Last edited by lamacan; 06-24-2021 at 07:55 AM. Reason: added photos.
Old 06-24-2021, 08:32 AM
Carrera-T
Rennlist Member

Received 612 Likes on 250 Posts

Have not driven one but the seem like a great car given that the naturally aspirated engine is back. My two concerns would be (a) it’s not a 911 and is your heart OK with a Cayman and (b) the gearing on the 718’s tends to be a bit long on the manual cars. IMHO the mid engine car is the better driving sports car but a Cayman is not a 911. I went with the T.

Originally Posted by kobyh15
I’ve been doing some cross-shopping of P cars in the 100-120K range and there are some interesting choices. I love the T and would probably put it at the top for me, but the Cayman GTS 4.0 is in this range. It’s tempting. Has anyone driven the GTS 4.0 6-speed?
Old 06-24-2021, 05:20 PM
kobyh15
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera-T
Have not driven one but the seem like a great car given that the naturally aspirated engine is back. My two concerns would be (a) it’s not a 911 and is your heart OK with a Cayman and (b) the gearing on the 718’s tends to be a bit long on the manual cars. IMHO the mid engine car is the better driving sports car but a Cayman is not a 911. I went with the T.
Great points and that’s exactly what keeps me coming back to the T. The 911 just has so much heritage and nostalgia built over the past 60 or so years. It’s nice to be a part of that when owning a 911. The GTS 4.0, while maybe the better car overall, will still be a Cayman. And that’s just the truth. All are great cars and no one should be ashamed of their personal choice.
Schn3ll (06-24-2021)
Old 06-25-2021, 12:07 AM
BlackOptic
Burning Brakes

Received 546 Likes on 222 Posts

I’ll never sell my T.

Oops, I mean I’ll never BE ABLE to see my T: I’ve tracked it. I’ve driven in the rain. It has over 10k miles. Worthless to any other. I’ll just have to keep it.
The following 3 users liked this post by BlackOptic:
ducktails (06-25-2021), spyderbret (07-01-2021), tourenwagen (06-25-2021)
Old 06-25-2021, 12:15 AM
Zylinderkopfdichtung
Rennlist Member

Received 571 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackOptic
I’ll never sell my T.

Oops, I mean I’ll never BE ABLE to see my T: I’ve tracked it. I’ve driven in the rain. It has over 10k miles. Worthless to any other. I’ll just have to keep it.
HA! I just sold my daily (for $5K more than I bought it for 18 months and 10K miles ago) and decided to daily the T until the fall weather necessitates another option. My commute is pure joy.

I have tracked my T. I’ve put 2500 miles on it since March, and am rapidly approaching 8000 miles on the odometer.

I love seeing these cars enjoyed as they were intended: super reliable, comfortable daily drivers… that can be thrashed on the track or just the long way to and from work.

Old 06-25-2021, 12:57 AM
BA73
Racer

Received 238 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by kobyh15
I own a 2019 T. I recently drove a 2021 Boxster GTS and 2021 GT4 back to back, walked in and ordered a Spyder. I am keeping the T, the Spyder will be the stablemate. If I had to choose between the T, the GTS variants, and the GT4/Spyder, it'd be the T all day every day. That being said, the 718 platform is a blast in its own right, and optioned out, my GTS build was going to be $98k, my Spyder was $108k. IMO $10k well spent for a more visceral experience and a something a bit more special. Please feel free to PM me, Id be happy to share my experience in more detail. You can order one heck of a GT4 or Spyder in your $120k budget, and while you may not be part of the 911 heritage, you'd be part of the GT family.

Last edited by BA73; 06-25-2021 at 01:00 AM.
kobyh15 (06-25-2021)
Old 06-25-2021, 03:29 AM
Wing Commander
Drifting

Received 1,318 Likes on 487 Posts

Originally Posted by Zylinderkopfdichtung
...and decided to daily the T until the fall weather necessitates another option. My commute is pure joy.

I have tracked my T. I’ve put 2500 miles on it since March, and am rapidly approaching 8000 miles on the odometer.

I love seeing these cars enjoyed as they were intended: super reliable, comfortable daily drivers… that can be thrashed on the track or just the long way to and from work.

Agreed! I have owned my T since new, in April 2018. It now has 34,000 miles on the clock. It’s the longest I’ve owned any car, and it’s my favourite. It’s my sole car and daily driver. It has a winter wheel/tyre set for use in the colder months. It’s surprisingly practical (with rear seats and the standard sports seats up front) and I just love it! ❤️
The following 2 users liked this post by Wing Commander:
S S (06-26-2021), spyderbret (07-01-2021)

Quick Reply: 911 T owners club