Sponsored by:

911 T owners club

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2020, 05:37 PM
Das14444
Pro

Received 333 Likes on 160 Posts

this video was interesting - thanks for posting

they compare the T to the RS America - which is what it feels most closely related to - or the clubsport.

“Its the car everyone wanted porsche to make”
they state only 600 made for US, think thats wrong?

https://www.pca.org/news/2020-01-14/...-3bQKZ_ch4xnmM

T = 55.30[/QUOTE]

Last edited by Das14444; 01-24-2020 at 06:27 PM.
Old 01-24-2020, 07:13 PM
BlackOptic
Burning Brakes

Received 545 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by F1SML8R
I saw this thread and thought it would be a perfect app to introduce myself. I just picked up my T in OKC last Saturday and drove it to Irvine over 2 days with a friend....
Welcome the T-Club! Nice run in with the law. Touch wood that isn't happening here.
The following users liked this post:
F1SML8R (01-25-2020)
Old 01-24-2020, 08:07 PM
ducktails
Racer

Received 460 Likes on 186 Posts

I saw this thread and thought it would be a perfect app to introduce myself. I just picked up my T in OKC last Saturday and drove it to Irvine over 2 days with a friend. It was a hell of a road trip, with only one casualty (Thank you Albuquerque!). We drove through desert, snow and everything in between. In any case, although the car is basically stock now, I plan on quickly "tweaking" a few things starting with an "Anti-Gravity Battery" and titanium wheel bolts, both already on order. In any case, I look forward to the interaction on this forum and can only hope it's at least as lively as my old Lotus and AR 4C forums!
​​​​​​​
Welcome! Yellow T's are the best T's!
I would love to hear your impressions vs the Lotus. I had a long hard look at an Evora 400 (including test drives) before going GT4 and then ending up at the T.
The following 2 users liked this post by ducktails:
Das14444 (01-24-2020), F1SML8R (01-25-2020)
Old 01-24-2020, 08:28 PM
S S
Burning Brakes

Received 887 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by Das14444
this video was interesting - thanks for posting

they compare the T to the RS America - which is what it feels most closely related to - or the clubsport.

“Its the car everyone wanted porsche to make”
they state only 600 made for US, think thats wrong?
It is, unless they were speaking to just the 2019 builds, which were at 682 for PCNA and PCL by my count... He may have also been referring to the MT count, overall, which I think is probably accurate.

Still interested in TYPE911's views on the T vs the RS A as well

SS
Old 01-24-2020, 08:41 PM
Das14444
Pro

Have you seen this thread:
https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1059...e-project.html

T - RS America tribute

He does an awesome job with the decals and door sills - then changes it up to make it a clubsport tribute - both look good to me
Old 01-24-2020, 09:08 PM
S S
Burning Brakes

Received 887 Likes on 400 Posts

^^^ Sure did. Between him and Janko, that is what prompted me to delve into what the T's heritage really was. IMO, this takes the cake:
https://www.total911.com/datafile/91...3-2-clubsport/

That said, argument for those RS A beauties as well. In concept, if not in exact form. I still LOVE that Porsche built this car for guys like us.

Das14444 (01-24-2020)
Old 01-24-2020, 09:25 PM
Das14444
Pro

Originally Posted by S S
^^^ Sure did. Between him and Janko, that is what prompted me to delve into what the T's heritage really was. IMO, this takes the cake:
https://www.total911.com/datafile/91...3-2-clubsport/

That said, argument for those RS A beauties as well. In concept, if not in exact form. I still LOVE that Porsche built this car for guys like us.

yep - its a clubsport.
Old 01-24-2020, 09:30 PM
mr gregash
Banned

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

I saw this thread and thought it would be a perfect app to introduce myself. I just picked up my T in OKC last Saturday and drove it to Irvine over 2 days with a friend. It was a hell of a road trip, with only one casualty (Thank you Albuquerque!). We drove through desert, snow and everything in between. In any case, although the car is basically stock now, I plan on quickly "tweaking" a few things starting with an "Anti-Gravity Battery" and titanium wheel bolts, both already on order. In any case, I look forward to the interaction on this forum and can only hope it's at least as lively as my old Lotus and AR 4C forums!

Congrats! I bought my T from Scott Corman at OKC Porsche. Good people to deal with.
F1SML8R (01-25-2020)
Old 01-25-2020, 01:15 AM
seis-speed
Pro

Received 472 Likes on 213 Posts

I agree with that panel on dealer spec, I wanted a no-option car - There were two that I could find. The one I found and purchases had dimming mirrors and Bose that is it, the other car was 3000 miles away and the only option was the paint color. I am not saying other T's are bad, for having options, but it was slim picking on getting the right low-option spec for what I wanted. Two cars, both were out of state long distance transactions.

As to the T name: From MotorTrend (I have already posted this somewhere)
"Let's cut right to the heart of it: It's got nothing to do with the underpowered stripper touring model from 1968, nor does it have anything to do with the 911 Turbo (though it does have two turbos). Here's the thing: Porsche wanted to name it "Clubsport" after its spiritual predecessor, the 1987 911 Carrera 3.2 Clubsport, but BMW owns the trademark on that name these days. "T" is what they had left. They say it stands for "Touring," but only if you use the autocrosser's definition of touring. Frame it in the context of the limited edition 3.2 Clubsport, though, and it makes a lot more sense. Unlike the original T, which was a base model with a much less powerful engine, the new T follows the Clubsport playbook to the letter. Less weight, sport suspension, manual transmission, mechanical limited-slip differential, and no increase in power. (PDK and rear steering are optional. The former is discouraged. "

The following 2 users liked this post by seis-speed:
S S (02-24-2020), SFZ GT3 (09-19-2020)
Old 01-25-2020, 03:23 AM
F1SML8R
Instructor

Received 157 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by ducktails
Welcome! Yellow T's are the best T's!
I would love to hear your impressions vs the Lotus. I had a long hard look at an Evora 400 (including test drives) before going GT4 and then ending up at the T.
First of all, it's hard to compete with a mid-engine design. With that said, a rear engine design is pretty close. Also, I think the weight distribution for the 911 rear engine design helps. I owned my Evora for about 5 years and the car was one of the best handling cars I've ever driven, but it had serious flaws. The first was it was under-powered, I think the latest GT version addresses that. The second, it had a horrible reliability record, but not for major things (i.e. power train was solid!). Instead, it was all the small things that kept breaking and of all things, the damn clutch master cylinder (I went through 5, that's not a typo!). Would I buy another one? Probably, but only because I love the brand and it's history. The 911, is about as perfect as one can get when it comes to the perfect compromise. BTW, I went with a bit more "raw" build in that mine has the CF buckets and I plan to quickly track prep it, even if I only hit the track once or twice a year. However, I practice every other weekend in the canyons. Overall, I think my 991.2 T has the best combo for daily driving, canyons, and the occasional track outing.
The following 2 users liked this post by F1SML8R:
ducktails (01-25-2020), SFZ GT3 (09-19-2020)
Old 01-25-2020, 09:44 AM
Ukkid74
Burning Brakes

Received 645 Likes on 298 Posts
Default 12.5k miles

I just past 12.5k miles on my 2019 T and I have owned it from new. The spec is perfect for me and only me. I did rws, glass roof, al pedals, added stitching, basic white, grey standard seats. Manual, Bose and then with 190 miles added Akrapovic pipe, cats and vector performance headers. I spent 14k on making the car have 393 whp so I can,t remember the feel of the car with 370hp. Basically this update is that I still have deep love for the T ! Its special to me and something different. At cars and coffee I speak to so manny people about the T and all the feed back I get is big thumbs Up. Yes a GT3 and GT3rs is more sort after but for 134k all in I could not be a happier customer. Not 1 issues have I had with the car. Tires are due soon and I ll simple go into a Michelin. I was offered 95k for it with 10k miles but can,t seem to wanta part with it just yet. Suntrust needs another 45k until it’s paid and until then I am gonna keep driving it every weekend, enjoying rally’s and car meetings. I LOVE the T ❤️🙏🏻
The following 7 users liked this post by Ukkid74:
19T (01-25-2020), F1SML8R (01-25-2020), GT3FZS (03-26-2020), S S (01-25-2020), seis-speed (01-25-2020), SFZ GT3 (09-19-2020), Zeus993 (01-25-2020) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-25-2020, 01:26 PM
ducktails
Racer

First of all, it's hard to compete with a mid-engine design. With that said, a rear engine design is pretty close. Also, I think the weight distribution for the 911 rear engine design helps. I owned my Evora for about 5 years and the car was one of the best handling cars I've ever driven, but it had serious flaws. The first was it was under-powered, I think the latest GT version addresses that. The second, it had a horrible reliability record, but not for major things (i.e. power train was solid!). Instead, it was all the small things that kept breaking and of all things, the damn clutch master cylinder (I went through 5, that's not a typo!). Would I buy another one? Probably, but only because I love the brand and it's history. The 911, is about as perfect as one can get when it comes to the perfect compromise. BTW, I went with a bit more "raw" build in that mine has the CF buckets and I plan to quickly track prep it, even if I only hit the track once or twice a year. However, I practice every other weekend in the canyons. Overall, I think my 991.2 T has the best combo for daily driving, canyons, and the occasional track outing.
Yup, that's what put me off the Evora as well... so close to perfection but the culmination of so many little problems killed it for me: I hung out on a few Lotus forums, watched a few JayEmm videos (right when he was getting rid of his Evora) and got the good the bad and the ugly. It was a hard decision, but I'm glad with where I ended up. I'd love to add a Lotus to the stable one day, if it doesn't become an electric-only brand.

Anyway - I'd be curious to learn more about how you get on setting up your car for the track. I switched from a GT4 when I stopped doing track days so heavily, and I've yet to get the T on track. I have the standard brakes, and coming from a GT4 the T feels terrifyingly under-braked for track work in comparison. Brakes would definitely be my first upgrade...

Old 01-25-2020, 02:32 PM
Das14444
Pro

“the T feels terrifyingly under-braked for track work in comparison. Brakes would definitely be my first upgrade”...[/QUOTE]

there a handful of rennlisters that regularly track their T with standard brakes - have never heard it’s under-braked. Is Terrifying maybe an exaggeration? I’ve never taken the T to the track so curious to hear more on the brakes...
Old 01-25-2020, 03:26 PM
ducktails
Racer

Originally Posted by Das14444
there a handful of rennlisters that regularly track their T with standard brakes - have never heard it’s under-braked. Is Terrifying maybe an exaggeration? I’ve never taken the T to the track so curious to hear more on the brakes...
Absolutely an exaggeration -- because the difference vs. the baseline I'm coming from is pretty immense. I've been spoiled, and it has been taking me a while to adjust. Not a knock on the T, these cars are built with a totally different focus in mind. I consciously made the switch because I wanted a better street/canyon car, so it's to be expected. It's actually quite enjoyable to learn and adapt my driving to a different setup.

However, if I were going to ramp up my DE time again, the first thing I would be upgrading would be the brakes - before power, before tires, before suspension, before aero, etc. Not just for safety, but because (at least with my style of driving), my lap times improve a lot if I have 100% confidence I can brake later and harder more of the time. I've seen some threads about brake upgrades and will be watching them closely!
The following 2 users liked this post by ducktails:
Das14444 (01-25-2020), vaiddyesa (01-25-2020)
Old 01-25-2020, 04:42 PM
TexMachina
Intermediate

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

Did you pickup the 911 T from Audi OKC?? I was so close to doing the same! Nice spec
F1SML8R (01-25-2020)

Quick Reply: 911 T owners club