Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.2 Base/S/GTS Modification & Race Track Prep Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2018 | 12:11 PM
arter
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mdrums
Anyway. I’d rather have your car than mine. I can’t have both...lol...would need to sell mine first...not even sure what it’d sell for vs what I owe and all that bs. I remember selling my 2012 gts and all the bs involved with potential buyers from Rennlist.....don’t want to re-live those nightmares again.
Trade cars with BGB and He could fix up another one
Old 10-18-2018 | 01:35 PM
J**2
Instructor

Default Brakes

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
I tracked a base PDK car pretty hard and had zero issues with it. The torque from these engines is great and can not wait to track my
GTS coming up!
how did the base brakes hold up on the track ??
Old 10-18-2018 | 02:45 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Last 2 Porsche’s I ran at Daytona didn’t do well on the high banks...especially NASCAR 3-4...warning and failure lights ruined each lap and the entire DE. Somewhere around 120-130mph on the banks ..which is easy to do...the car would freak out. So I never went back to Daytona.

Anyway. I’d rather have your car than mine. I can’t have both...lol...would need to sell mine first...not even sure what it’d sell for vs what I owe and all that bs. I remember selling my 2012 gts and all the bs involved with potential buyers from Rennlist.....don’t want to re-live those nightmares again.
I hear you. My experiences at Daytona have been good...much better than my experiences marketing a car on Rennlist!

As for the PSM failures, I was lucky enough to spend some time with the engineers from Porsche because the Clubsport had the same PSM failure issues related to the banking the last few seasons we ran there. That all has since been resolved but i am curious how this car will do. I didn't have any issues with the GT4 when i ran it there but i have seen a lot of 991/981 owners have problems. I am curious to see how the 991.2 handles the banking.

Depending on what happens with the sale of the car i may run it around Daytona under the lights next Thursday evening. We have an office pool going as to whether or not the car will exceed 185 mph through the tri-oval!

Originally Posted by J**2

how did the base brakes hold up on the track ??
The brakes at COTA were actually great. I have done some research on master cylinders and brake boosters for the 991.2 to make the pedal nice and firm and eliminate the dreaded ice mode. The pistons in the 991 calipers are rather large, larger than those in the 6-piston GT3/GT4 calipers so i am anxious to make that caliper setup work. I didn't have any fade, the ducts worked well as did the pads with the OEM rotors. I think i will put the 350/350 Girodisc setup on for Daytona to try and maximize the package. I don't think i will have time to back to back them like i had wanted.
Old 10-19-2018 | 05:04 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Originally Posted by BGB Motorsports
The brakes at COTA were actually great. I have done some research on master cylinders and brake boosters for the 991.2 to make the pedal nice and firm and eliminate the dreaded ice mode. The pistons in the 991 calipers are rather large, larger than those in the 6-piston GT3/GT4 calipers so i am anxious to make that caliper setup work. I didn't have any fade, the ducts worked well as did the pads with the OEM rotors. I think i will put the 350/350 Girodisc setup on for Daytona to try and maximize the package. I don't think i will have time to back to back them like i had wanted.
Interesting, I haven't had a problem with brake fade either although a number of others on here have reported some issues. Having said that I run with RSL29s and AP600 and bleed regularly (OEM rotors).
Old 10-19-2018 | 11:35 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by groundhog
Interesting, I haven't had a problem with brake fade either although a number of others on here have reported some issues. Having said that I run with RSL29s and AP600 and bleed regularly (OEM rotors).
With Pagid yellows and SRF fluid... no fade for me. Ferodo ds25 pads could not handle Sebring and the GTS speeds though. DS11.1 were better but wore out pretty fast... so i'm seeing how the Pagids do and how they wear the Giro rotors

Still the calipers get way too hot and do not stay red, paint turns dark... 991 GT3 guys with bigger rotors and better cooling are not seeing thereref calipers change color.

Old 10-19-2018 | 05:02 PM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Still the calipers get way too hot and do not stay red, paint turns dark... 991 GT3 guys with bigger rotors and better cooling are not seeing thereref calipers change color.

I still haven't fitted my Pagids. They sent the wrong shape 3 times. I believe I finally have the correct ones. I have seen the Gt3 Crack the ceramic plugs on the pistons. I don't like that setup.

I think I will do a Brembo GT-R BBK. The metallic calipers so they won't fade.
Old 10-19-2018 | 07:45 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by 4 Point 0
I still haven't fitted my Pagids. They sent the wrong shape 3 times. I believe I finally have the correct ones. I have seen the Gt3 Crack the ceramic plugs on the pistons. I don't like that setup.

Bummer on whom ever is shipping pads to you. Clark at Apex Performance...Rennlist Sponsor...know the exact pads for these cars. Anyway yeah I did around 6 DE and ceramic plugs and gaskets we’re toast. I just had my calipers rebuilt and repainted. They look better than new...

like your idea of the Brembo big brake kit and the metallic calipers too. I honestly hate all these painted calipers...I like the brushed metal calipers that are on the Cup cars...they look awesome.
Old 10-20-2018 | 01:06 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Bummer on whom ever is shipping pads to you. Clark at Apex Performance...Rennlist Sponsor...know the exact pads for these cars. Anyway yeah I did around 6 DE and ceramic plugs and gaskets we’re toast. I just had my calipers rebuilt and repainted. They look better than new...

like your idea of the Brembo big brake kit and the metallic calipers too. I honestly hate all these painted calipers...I like the brushed metal calipers that are on the Cup cars...they look awesome.
I think a lot of suppliers are sending out the old 3.8l pads - Just got an email back from Pagid, the reference numbers were wrong for the 991.2 GTS brake pads on their site. They are fixing it up.

Last edited by groundhog; 10-20-2018 at 06:34 AM.
Old 10-20-2018 | 12:59 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by groundhog
I think a lot of suppliers are sending out the old 3.8l pads - Just got an email back from Pagid, the reference numbers were wrong for the 991.2 GTS brake pads on their site. They are fixing it up.
With Giros you use gt3 front profile pads
Old 10-20-2018 | 03:09 PM
arter
Rennlist Member

4924's ( which also work on the OEM s/gts rotors)
Old 10-21-2018 | 01:48 AM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by 4 Point 0

The OE calipers are decent for what you ask of them but you absolutely have to dump the ceramic caps. After half a dozen weekends they crack just like you said. That's why we sell the piston rebuild kits we sell to GT3/GT4 owners. All of our customers that run the 997.2 GT3 calipers use them too. The Cup cars had those ceramic piston caps which I believe were intended to run cooler via reducing heat retention in the caliper piston.

This is why we sell these kits. There are some kits that even have titanium pistons; our kits use an OE piston and are sourced from our provider that makes the 380mm Big Brake Kit.
Attached Images  
Old 10-22-2018 | 09:50 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Ah yes I keeping forgetting about this, next rotor change - I'll cut across to the Giros.

Originally Posted by arter
4924's ( which also work on the OEM s/gts rotors)
Thanks for that

The RSL29 GTS numbers are 4908 and 4909.

Really like this pad, more of an endurance pad - really nice modulation and good initial bite without being overly aggressive. Lots of meat on the pad and wear very well. Surprisingly so.
Old 10-22-2018 | 10:23 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Front brake pad shapes for base, T, S, GTS and GT3

Note how much larger (area and volume) the S/GTS/GT3 pads are than the base and T pads, add this to the increased rotor size and the combo will add up to a significant difference on track. (note the label for 991.2 Carrera and Carrera T should read RSL24 - shape 8074, which is the same as that found on the 981 GTS - 4 pot/330mm).

Last edited by groundhog; 10-22-2018 at 10:40 AM. Reason: typo in label
Old 10-23-2018 | 08:17 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Please note typo in the title of the first shape template (for 991.2 Carrera and Carrera T uppermost pattern - RSL24 not 27).
Old 10-23-2018 | 08:21 AM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

I just discovered Brembo do a GTS. How cool is that for a GTS : )

380mm Front and Rear.

Quick Reply: 991.2 Base/S/GTS Modification & Race Track Prep Thread