Sponsored by:

991.2 Base/S/GTS Modification & Race Track Prep Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2018, 01:33 AM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Received 1,278 Likes on 676 Posts

Originally Posted by BGB Motorsports
I find myself wanting stiffer springs but I think that's because I'm finally used to purpose built race cars. I love it.
Awesome, Good Job. The more I do to my car, the more evident it becomes that the front springs are not up to the task. I haven't fitted the new ones yet.

Would love to see pics of the brake cooling as well. I am interested in that. Would it fit stock as well as a 380mm BBK?
Old 10-09-2018, 12:33 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 607 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by 4 Point 0
Awesome, Good Job. The more I do to my car, the more evident it becomes that the front springs are not up to the task. I haven't fitted the new ones yet.

Would love to see pics of the brake cooling as well. I am interested in that. Would it fit stock as well as a 380mm BBK?
You would have liked it. I didn't have any oversteer at all. I'm actually rather happy with the balance. I think it's perfect for anyone running a DE. Obviously i want it more aggressive with more spring rate because i've turned into a race car snob but for driving to the track and on the track, i think it was awesome. I just want stiffer springs because i want less movement but that's just me. It didn't walk too much in the brake zones and it didn't wag the tail a bunch there; the turn in was decent and the grip at corner exit was awesome. If you hustled it too hard on the way down to the apex after the brake zone it would rotate but it wasn't evil in any way, shape or form. The DSC controller is pretty cool and the two changes i made did exactly what i wanted them to do.

The brakes held up well, very well but now i want to run :45 minutes on them somewhere and some place bumpy so i think it's time for Sebring. I don't really see a reason to forego the Girodisc rotors eventually though, even if i didn't get to run them. I got 1 session in the dry all weekend! The bigger assemblies with better cooling and veins will actually be able to take more benefit from the ducting going to them with the ducts we're running. They will last longer and you can replace just the discs...for those who want 350mm FR/R for the track so you can scrap the drilled OE discs, they're perfect. I know the 380mm setup will work too so i am going to that once I try the Girodiscs but i still want to try them back to back with the stock ones once more so the next time we go on track we will run and then swap and then run again.

Originally Posted by slvr993
awrryan - Agreed. This is the power of Rennlist. Being able to "watch" a championship winning shop test and report back on mods and options is amazingly helpful. All the more reason why it's important to support the sponsors like BGB that support us and this crazy hobby.
Thanks for the support buddy! It's a little different for us because we started life as a race team and then became a retail operation so i try and approach things sequentially and methodically as if i were tuning on a race car. Sometimes it may look like we throw the kitchen sink at stuff but it's only because we have already been through the whole development process with the street car to race car evolution so even though it's a new chassis, we know what works and what's overkill. The cars we raced weren't allowed to run all GT3 parts so you had to be creative with ways of finding grip. Too bad you can't turn a 991.2 into a race car and race it professionally because the sensation of how the torque spits you out of the corner at the exit is crazy and something with which i'm still trying to adjust. You don't have to almost wreck the car at the apex because the motor will push you down the straight away by 3 cars lengths before you have your hands straight.

Originally Posted by awrryan
No one can say that you're not putting the proper research and going about everything the right way, in my opinion. I haven't commented on here often, but thanks for your efforts.
Thank you for noticing! Obviously i'm motivated by trying to build a business but i like to share with you guys because you speak highly of us and i know that one day you will call and buy parts! we appreciate it so thank you!
Old 10-09-2018, 12:38 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

P.S. I almost forgot. Those Pirelli Trofeo R tires have a stupid amount of grip for a street tire. Holy crap! I don't know what they will be like when they sit for 6 months but they were stickers on Saturday and in the first session i got 1/2 a lap and the second session i got 3 laps so it's as if they almost got a heat cycle to bed them in. Sunday morning they were awesome and if the track was cool, i can only imagine how much grip they would have. If i can go to wider front tires with wider front wheels, i think that would be the single biggest iprovement without changing springs. I saw a GT3RS with 265/345 and that's a lot of grip and track width relative to what the GTS has. Having 40mm per corner of more rubber in the rear and 20mm per corner in the front would be almost 2" inches more up front and almost 3.0" more in the rear. That sort of footprint translates into faster lap times for sure.
Old 10-09-2018, 02:15 PM
fsmich
Rennlist Member

Received 163 Likes on 108 Posts

Are you driving on the track with the PSM fully engaged? Wondering how the Cobb tune and PSM are integrated, Psorcery has posted wheel spin in launch mode with the Cobb tune. I need my nannies!
Old 10-09-2018, 04:58 PM
Tay101
Rennlist Member

Received 236 Likes on 120 Posts

You would have liked it. I didn't have any oversteer at all. I'm actually rather happy with the balance. I think it's perfect for anyone running a DE. Obviously i want it more aggressive with more spring rate because i've turned into a race car snob but for driving to the track and on the track, i think it was awesome. I just want stiffer springs because i want less movement but that's just me. It didn't walk too much in the brake zones and it didn't wag the tail a bunch there; the turn in was decent and the grip at corner exit was awesome. If you hustled it too hard on the way down to the apex after the brake zone it would rotate but it wasn't evil in any way, shape or form. The DSC controller is pretty cool and the two changes i made did exactly what i wanted them to do.

The brakes held up well, very well but now i want to run :45 minutes on them somewhere and some place bumpy so i think it's time for Sebring. I don't really see a reason to forego the Girodisc rotors eventually though, even if i didn't get to run them. I got 1 session in the dry all weekend! The bigger assemblies with better cooling and veins will actually be able to take more benefit from the ducting going to them with the ducts we're running. They will last longer and you can replace just the discs...for those who want 350mm FR/R for the track so you can scrap the drilled OE discs, they're perfect. I know the 380mm setup will work too so i am going to that once I try the Girodiscs but i still want to try them back to back with the stock ones once more so the next time we go on track we will run and then swap and then run again.

Thanks for the support buddy! It's a little different for us because we started life as a race team and then became a retail operation so i try and approach things sequentially and methodically as if i were tuning on a race car. Sometimes it may look like we throw the kitchen sink at stuff but it's only because we have already been through the whole development process with the street car to race car evolution so even though it's a new chassis, we know what works and what's overkill. The cars we raced weren't allowed to run all GT3 parts so you had to be creative with ways of finding grip. Too bad you can't turn a 991.2 into a race car and race it professionally because the sensation of how the torque spits you out of the corner at the exit is crazy and something with which i'm still trying to adjust. You don't have to almost wreck the car at the apex because the motor will push you down the straight away by 3 cars lengths before you have your hands straight.

Thank you for noticing! Obviously i'm motivated by trying to build a business but i like to share with you guys because you speak highly of us and i know that one day you will call and buy parts! we appreciate it so thank you!
So are you just running the H&R VTF kit? And with the springs it comes with?
Old 10-09-2018, 05:12 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Tay101
So are you just running the H&R VTF kit? And with the springs it comes with?
Yes. They're progressive and when i spoke to H&R they said that's the stiffest thing they make for that application. I'm just going to go to a heavier linear spring OR maybe try a tender spring / main spring setup like the GT cars.
Old 10-10-2018, 12:52 AM
Tay101
Rennlist Member

Yes. They're progressive and when i spoke to H&R they said that's the stiffest thing they make for that application. I'm just going to go to a heavier linear spring OR maybe try a tender spring / main spring setup like the GT cars.
Old 10-10-2018, 01:23 AM
Psorcery
Banned

Received 171 Likes on 127 Posts

Can you post a part number to the H&R springs you're on?
Old 10-10-2018, 03:49 AM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Psorcery
Can you post a part number to the H&R springs you're on?
http://www.hrsprings.com/pr/detail/h...or-porsche-911
Old 10-10-2018, 03:55 AM
Psorcery
Banned

Received 171 Likes on 127 Posts

Thanks, I was thinking of ordering KW's version.. What do you take of this?

https://www.kwsuspensions.net/produc..._kits/25371063
Old 10-10-2018, 04:08 AM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Psorcery
Thanks, I was thinking of ordering KW's version.. What do you take of this?

https://www.kwsuspensions.net/produc..._kits/25371063
I'd get it. I don't have a deal with H&R so it's not like I can sell it to you. I got mine on Tire Rack. I'd actually go with the KW for a few reasons:

1.) im told they have more optional rates for this kit.
2.) even tho it's in German it has the documentation I wanted on the thing. I couldn't get any info from H&R.
3.) google translate is your friend.
4.) scratch #2 - I see the document is also in English.

I'd want more spring rate for this package and that rear spring looks beefier - I'm told lots of folks are running it on stiffer springs that what is in the kit. I had never worked with KW before we got the Clubsports and having spent the last 3 years tuning these cars, I don't have anything bad to say about them. I'd absolutely try that kit.

I'm enamored with the idea of being able to turn the stock PASM shocks into coilovers and tune it with the DSC and have a Dr J and Mr Hyde setup with the flick of the button.
Old 10-10-2018, 09:58 AM
AAK GTS
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I'd get it. I don't have a deal with H&R so it's not like I can sell it to you. I got mine on Tire Rack. I'd actually go with the KW for a few reasons:

1.) im told they have more optional rates for this kit.
2.) even tho it's in German it has the documentation I wanted on the thing. I couldn't get any info from H&R.
3.) google translate is your friend.
4.) scratch #2 - I see the document is also in English.

I'd want more spring rate for this package and that rear spring looks beefier - I'm told lots of folks are running it on stiffer springs that what is in the kit. I had never worked with KW before we got the Clubsports and having spent the last 3 years tuning these cars, I don't have anything bad to say about them. I'd absolutely try that kit.

I'm enamored with the idea of being able to turn the stock PASM shocks into coilovers and tune it with the DSC and have a Dr J and Mr Hyde setup with the flick of the button.
What about the Elephant Racing Coilover conversion kit? It comes with helper springs and I can choose my rates. E.R. suggested 325/600 lb for my 991.1 GTS without SPASM which is their Level 2 set-up. May inquire what Level 3 spring rates are. And use the DSC to stiffen the dampeners.
Old 10-10-2018, 12:07 PM
Tay101
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AAK GTS
What about the Elephant Racing Coilover conversion kit? It comes with helper springs and I can choose my rates. E.R. suggested 325/600 lb for my 991.1 GTS without SPASM which is their Level 2 set-up. May inquire what Level 3 spring rates are. And use the DSC to stiffen the dampeners.
If you search the forum, you will find that the Elephant kit has really bad reviews. In fact, I think all the reviews are bad.
Old 10-11-2018, 01:04 PM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,506 Likes on 810 Posts

P.S. I almost forgot. Those Pirelli Trofeo R tires have a stupid amount of grip for a street tire. Holy crap! I don't know what they will be like when they sit for 6 months but they were stickers on Saturday and in the first session i got 1/2 a lap and the second session i got 3 laps so it's as if they almost got a heat cycle to bed them in. Sunday morning they were awesome and if the track was cool, i can only imagine how much grip they would have. If i can go to wider front tires with wider front wheels, i think that would be the single biggest iprovement without changing springs. I saw a GT3RS with 265/345 and that's a lot of grip and track width relative to what the GTS has. Having 40mm per corner of more rubber in the rear and 20mm per corner in the front would be almost 2" inches more up front and almost 3.0" more in the rear. That sort of footprint translates into faster lap times for sure.
Would it be crazy for me to use Pirelli Trofeo R in my DD so I could drive straight to the track and use them without having to worry about any swapping out tire/wheels BS?
Old 10-11-2018, 02:58 PM
arter
Rennlist Member

Received 155 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by flsupraguy
Would it be crazy for me to use Pirelli Trofeo R in my DD so I could drive straight to the track and use them without having to worry about any swapping out tire/wheels BS?
Thats what they are good for.

They dont last as many days on the track as Cups 2, but the first 2 days are better.

Quick Reply: 991.2 Base/S/GTS Modification & Race Track Prep Thread