Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2018, 01:24 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 591 Likes on 261 Posts
Default 991.2 Base/S/GTS Modification & Race Track Prep Thread

This thread will be dedicated to the development of the 991.2 Base/S/GTS platform and the upgrade path that i have chosen for this car en route to trying to create the perfect dual purpose Porsche for driving to/from the race track while maintaining the creature comforts that come on a modern day Porsche 911 road car. The plan is to outfit the car with the least amount of required bits for race track reliability; i am in the info gathering stage at the moment so who here has been racking up track miles on their 991.2 and what can you tell me about it?

Similar to how i did the GT4 and cars before, we eventually will be able to provide anything anyone needs for this car to create power or outfit it for the track.

Last edited by BGB Motorsports; 07-25-2018 at 05:23 PM.
The following users liked this post:
p3rs1st (03-10-2021)

Popular Reply

01-10-2020, 11:49 AM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

It's officially time to deliver Big Bird. Here are some final pics! I even got the seat heaters to work on the carbon fiber folding bucket seats. Keep an eye out for the yellow beast!
Old 03-28-2018, 01:37 PM
phx991
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

about 800 track miles on mine.
Old 03-28-2018, 01:39 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by phx991
about 800 track miles on mine.
Awesome. I see you are in the southwest where it's pretty hot so obviously the heat is not an issue. What do you notice relative to the last car you had that this one replaced? Lap times, etc?
Old 03-29-2018, 07:33 AM
RRDnA
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Plenty of sprint events in my II Power Kit .

what info are you after? tires? oil temps? yaw rates? lat and lineal g? boost ranges? etc etc

Last edited by RRDnA; 03-29-2018 at 10:07 AM.
Old 03-29-2018, 11:05 AM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by RRDnA
Plenty of sprint events in my II Power Kit .

what info are you after? tires? oil temps? yaw rates? lat and lineal g? boost ranges? etc etc

I'm just curious about how the car holds up in the heat on track and then i was more curious about lap times with the added torque. I keep hearing from 991.1 GT3 owners that have made the switch and are not feeling a lack of power whatsoever. I've heard amazing feedback from my tuning partner working with the S & GTS cars running 91 octane and making over 500 HP & LB/FT with the GTS so I'm starting to look for a used S for development work. i want to retrofit the Power Kit and refine the tune for higher octane gas and do just intake and exhaust bolt-on upgrades and see how close we can get to 600hp from a car that's still very much comfortable enough to be a daily driver.

I'm embracing the turbo revolution...I've always been an NA guy and everything we do is NA but times are changing and i was just curious about die hard Porsche NA track car enthusiasts who have made the switch. We went to COTA last month and i saw a tone of GT3s, Turbos, etc and only one 718 and one 991.2.
Old 03-29-2018, 11:25 AM
RRDnA
Banned

34 degree celsius day - recordings from sprint event.

Engine

Transmission

Boost

The car holds up very well and is driven hard - last run out (accredited driver/official sprint event) it was mixed up at the front with a 991GT3RS and 997 Cup, lots of GT3s behind. My tires were the biggest problem MPSC2 N1 Vs Trofeo R and 050R.

Basically punches well above its supposed weight, the magic ingredient is RAS plus 550Nm torque. Simple technique - close up with speed and trail into corners, maintain corner speed then obliterate the NA cars out of the corners (this is not a punt at the NA cars, its also easier to get past the manual NA cars). Brutally effective. Underdone WRT aero at +240kmh (easy to fix). More hills and corners favour the torque loaded cars.

IMHO the 991GT cars are under tired with MPSC2 - with R-Specs the gains are not as significant as some would think.

The difference between the cars at this level of HP under the curve/performance is down to the driver and tire choice.

The obvious advantages of the stock GT cars are brakes, aero and oiling (dry sump) all of which can easily be addressed.

So far the power kit car has performed flawlessly although it could do with a diet relative to a Cup car

Last edited by RRDnA; 03-29-2018 at 11:47 PM.
Old 03-29-2018, 11:30 AM
BigT
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Will be giving my .2 GTS its first track workout in May at VIR. From my avatar you can see I am coming from a .1-GT3 and two cup cars before that so I am a "naturally aspirated guy" as well.
Would be interested in your development efforts. Keep me posted or PM me.
Off to CMP next week to do some testing/driver development for Lamborghini ST team.(I know sacrilege on this site).
Old 03-29-2018, 11:36 AM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by BigT
Will be giving my .2 GTS its first track workout in May at VIR. From my avatar you can see I am coming from a .1-GT3 and two cup cars before that so I am a "naturally aspirated guy" as well.
Would be interested in your development efforts. Keep me posted or PM me.
Off to CMP next week to do some testing/driver development for Lamborghini ST team.(I know sacrilege on this site).
Given your previous cars owned, that's the feedback for which i was searching. I will just build off of this thread so we can keep the updates coming AND i will send you a PM with my contact info!

VIR is my favorite by far and where i had my first ever amateur race many many moons ago! That car should do well there because you need the torque getting out of T1/T2, getting out of the lower esses and obviously the corner named after the artist formerly known as the Oak Tree! Coming onto the front straight tends to be more of a facet of whether or not you're comfortable with your body shop and the circumference of your you know whats!

As for your going and driving the Italian bull, everyone i know that has raced one of those things raves about the aero & mechanical grip and obviously the power! I bet it's awesome to drive. enjoy!
Old 03-29-2018, 12:23 PM
bwiele
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I love how this comment renders all the turbo haters impotent:

"Basically punches well above its supposed weight, the magic ingredient is RAS plus 550Nm torque. Simple technique - close up with speed and trail into corners, maintain corner speed then obliterate the NA cars out of the corners. Brutally effective."

Old 03-29-2018, 01:04 PM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,083 Likes on 621 Posts

I sold an RS which I tracked regularly and now track the 911.2 S fairly regularly. I find it to be a very competent track car. The turbo motor is a terrific at a short track with a lot of turns like AMP (where I run 90% of the time). It's my back-up track weapon and it's perfect for that. If you have specific questions, I'm happy to try to help.
The following users liked this post:
Red_66 (11-17-2023)
Old 03-29-2018, 03:13 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by tstafford
I sold an RS which I tracked regularly and now track the 911.2 S fairly regularly. I find it to be a very competent track car. The turbo motor is a terrific at a short track with a lot of turns like AMP (where I run 90% of the time). It's my back-up track weapon and it's perfect for that. If you have specific questions, I'm happy to try to help.
At this point I don't have specific additional questions above and beyond resilience on track. Given that it's a 991 and not a GT car i'm assuming the chassis feedback is the same; it probably could benefit from more camber, wider/stiffer platform and better brakes (if you're a hardcore DE guy) but has plenty of low end grunt. I was curious mostly about how they hold up in the heat. In the southeast where it's hot the heat seems to be the biggest issue for tracks like Sebring, Homestead, PBIR, Roebling, VIR and Atlanta in the summer time. I was curious about the PDK with the added torque but since it's a Porsche, i highly doubt it has issues. It's funny to go to events and see cars like the 911 and Cayman turning lap after lap after lap and coming off track only to dump in more petrol. Everywhere we go, with the exception of maybe a Ferrari, every other car comes in after about 20 minutes with smoke coming from everywhere possible due to brake fad, coolant and oil temps. I'm always impressed with how good these cars are even in bone stock trim.

Thanks for the feedback especially since you've had an RS and a GT4, of which we see a lot on track.
Old 03-29-2018, 04:29 PM
stephen k
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Love this thread and subscribed. Would love to know how the power kit project + tune comes along with just bolt ons.

Would really love to hear some more feedback on previous GT owners against the .2 9A2 cars..
Old 03-29-2018, 08:49 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 709 Likes on 414 Posts

John,

Check with Mdrums I know he has a lot of time at Sebring and he runs a pretty good pace. 991.2GTS PDK car

Peter
Old 03-29-2018, 10:29 PM
RRDnA
Banned

By the way those engine oil temps and transmission oil temps were recorded during a 40 minute session - I have run it on days where the air temp has been 45 degrees celsius with no problem (I'm talking about sprint events and not DEs).

Never had a problem with the pedal going long (in sprint racing) - but then again I change rotors, pads and brake fluid regularly (and bleed on occasion between runs). This is for sprint series racing not DE days.

Would be good if people posted data and separated DE driving from event based driving

PDK - gear set is from the big T turbo. On track, 75% of the time, the engine speed is between 5307RPM and 7304RPM (as measured and based on IQR with the lowest 25% excluded).

Last edited by RRDnA; 03-31-2018 at 11:21 PM.
Old 03-29-2018, 11:20 PM
RRDnA
Banned

That should do the trick

PDK change by velocity kmh Vs rpm - horizontal red line = engine HP max. Note: third gear is the go to gear on many tracks.

Last edited by RRDnA; 03-31-2018 at 11:19 PM.

Quick Reply: 991.2 Base/S/GTS Modification & Race Track Prep Thread