Sponsored by:

991.2 Base/S/GTS Modification & Race Track Prep Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2018, 01:54 PM
erko1905
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by groundhog
Its the tires that are the biggest issue in my book - the MPSC2 have too much "road" in them for sprint events (soft sidewalls) - for dry class specific events I'm going back to Trofeo R and for open class dry events I'm going to give the Hoosiers a bash. Keep in mind the last event I did, at the pointy end 17 places were split by 1.1s.
Did you try to the R888Rs in 255/315 ?
Old 12-09-2018, 08:15 PM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,029 Likes on 653 Posts

Originally Posted by erko1905
Did you try to the R888Rs in 255/315 ?
No I haven't - have a three month off season so will look into all options with respect to wheels and tires. Also need to consider which vehicles I'll use for road rallying - so there are some compromises to be made with respect to final set up e.g not overly stiff springs and sway bars.
Old 12-10-2018, 10:18 AM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 607 Likes on 271 Posts

This car has so much potential still! 4 Point 0 and i are putting our heads together for a Global Effort to put an end towards senseless GT3 bullying so i was helping him out over the weekend.

2 weekends ago I took the car back to the speedway to put it on display for sale and an interested buyer wanted to go for a ride so we went out on track for 1 more session. This week i am loading it up to take to Austin, TX for the Edge Addicts event to again put it on display. Next weekend i am going to wrap it since the yellow seems to be the single biggest complaint. I can't bring myself to part it out, i'm sorry.

Old 12-11-2018, 02:15 AM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Received 1,278 Likes on 676 Posts

Originally Posted by BGB Motorsports
This car has so much potential still! 4 Point 0 and i are putting our heads together for a Global Effort to put an end towards senseless GT3 bullying so i was helping him out over the weekend.

2 weekends ago I took the car back to the speedway to put it on display for sale and an interested buyer wanted to go for a ride so we went out on track for 1 more session. This week i am loading it up to take to Austin, TX for the Edge Addicts event to again put it on display. Next weekend i am going to wrap it since the yellow seems to be the single biggest complaint. I can't bring myself to part it out, i'm sorry.
These cars are going to redefine what fast is. On Sunday, I actually heard the words from a GT3 owner. We only raced twice. The second time I even gave him the clear jump. I never saw him again until the end of the day.

He asked, "Did you beat that E63S?" (I did) I showed him the video. He said, "I'm not surprised, your car is fast." This is still early days. There is plenty more in these cars. I'm loving it.
Old 12-11-2018, 02:41 PM
Macduff
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Interested in a 991.2 C2/C2S/GTS for dual duty and just read this entire thread start/finish, great read and very informative. John @ BGB your GTS is incredible, appreciate all of the contributions here!!

I'm running 18-inch Pirelli DH scrubs on my current car and am curious if anyone runs them on a 991.2? I'm not even sure if there are reliable scrub sources for 19-inch DH's so perhaps the answer is no but wanted to ask anyway. The popular option here appears to be Cup 2's or Trofeo-R's which might be okay though it will be difficult to revert after running scrubs. Thoughts appreciated!
Old 12-11-2018, 03:22 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

No problem. If you are going to be at COTA this weekend, you can come and see the car. The 18" will not work on the 991 because of the lower control arm bushings in the rear. Your best bet is a 19" or a 20" in sticky stuff. Thanks for the kind words!
Old 12-12-2018, 04:21 PM
LaloDo97
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Smile

Hey! I already read all of the 33 pages haha, I have a 991.2 C2 GTS (PASM, RAS, CL, PDK) and I track it a lot, 6 months and 10k km of tracks, currently on stage 1 (stock run marked 447hp 415tq and stage 1 marked 561hp 494tq, pics below) of a local tuner, he's also one of my best friends, and I pass 991.2 GT3's without any problem, im amazed on how fast this engines accelerate... I tried the Trofeo R's, P Zero N1's and currently on MPSC2 N1's, the trofeo's have a ton of grip but the heat cycle of 4-5 laps and then the lost of grip is a LOT. Very amazed on the OE P Zero N1's, while hot their grip is great and you can make a pretty good lap time, the Cup2 N1's are great for 6-7 laps, I could not tested them on a completely dry day but on the first track I was .5 seconds faster than the p Zero's. This cars have a lot of potencial and I'll be following John's work if the dealer don't confirm my allocation for a 3RS.

John: What springs do you recommend me, the KW or H&R? I hate how much roll my GTS has, normal PASM. I also want the DSC module...

This week Soul Performance catless bypass pipes arrive and we'll be making the tune for them, I want to see if I can se some numbers like John's!

My GTS
​​​​​​​

Stock Run

Old 12-16-2018, 09:33 PM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

Received 197 Likes on 118 Posts

BGB, how did you do at COTA? Lap time and tires?
Beautiful weekend in south Texas.
Old 12-16-2018, 09:55 PM
lockie
Rennlist Member

Received 202 Likes on 111 Posts

[QUOTE=LaloDo97;15492774]

"John: What springs do you recommend me, the KW or H&R? I hate how much roll my GTS has, normal PASM. I also want the DSC module..."

I was wondering what Camber you are set up at. My Mechanic is suggesting I install RSS Control Arms etc to increase the Camber which he felt would make the my GTS faster and more stable in the corners. I don't know enough about it to feel comfortable spending a few thousand plus install. Would you recommend this mod for tracking. Does anyone else have advise on this. Thank you
Old 12-16-2018, 11:52 PM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

[QUOTE=lockie;15501987]
Originally Posted by LaloDo97

"John: What springs do you recommend me, the KW or H&R? I hate how much roll my GTS has, normal PASM. I also want the DSC module..."

I was wondering what Camber you are set up at. My Mechanic is suggesting I install RSS Control Arms etc to increase the Camber which he felt would make the my GTS faster and more stable in the corners. I don't know enough about it to feel comfortable spending a few thousand plus install. Would you recommend this mod for tracking. Does anyone else have advise on this. Thank you
Its only necessary if you want to go fast. : ) Tarrett make some good ones as well. I don't know the RSS ones.
I have these and the DSC module.

Old 12-17-2018, 12:43 AM
lockie
Rennlist Member

Received 202 Likes on 111 Posts

Thank you PM sent
Old 12-17-2018, 02:11 AM
raidersfan
Three Wheelin'

Received 154 Likes on 113 Posts

So, what would be the steps required to make a 991.2 SPASM more like a GT3, in terms of suspension setup? I have significant time in a GT4, and when driving a C2S recently, I couldn't believe how soft the .2 SPASM felt in comparison. The GT4 is just as comfortable but so much sharper. It seems like a 991.2 C2S/GTS with a GT3-lite suspension package could be just the ticket for someone who wants GT handling but needs 4 seats.

I don't know why they don't offer a suspension upgrade like this from the factory; I know a lot of people who track their car while DD'ing it, and a 991.2 without many options but with upgraded entry-level track worthy suspension would be a heck of a lot cheaper than any stripper GT3.

Anyways, something like that is around $7k on a 997.2 (my car). It involves drop links, sway bars, lowering springs, control arms front and rear, and some other bushing upgrades. What is the shopping list on a 991.2?
Old 12-17-2018, 02:44 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by tgavem
BGB, how did you do at COTA? Lap time and tires?
Beautiful weekend in south Texas.
I did not run the car unfortunately; since i am trying to sell it i was hesitant to put it on track. I had some interested people stop by but no deal yet. You are correct...the weather in Austin was perfect and was absolutely lap record weather. My customer was turning :24s in his 981 race car that has the 3.4L and stock intake.

[QUOTE=lockie;15501987]
Originally Posted by LaloDo97

I have a whole laundry list of stuff i can sell you. I love the setup on this car and there is 1 minor improvement i would make for springs. I am however not going to post it because i'm motivated by selling you guys a complete kit so if you would like, feel free to send me a PM or call Wray at the shop at (386)265-1979.

[QUOTE=4 Point 0;15502214]
Originally Posted by lockie

Its only necessary if you want to go fast. : ) Tarrett make some good ones as well. I don't know the RSS ones.
I have these and the DSC module.

I think what 4 Point 0 really meant to say was "call John and order what he has; my suspension isn't complete because the sway bars i ordered didn't work."

Originally Posted by raidersfan
So, what would be the steps required to make a 991.2 SPASM more like a GT3, in terms of suspension setup? I have significant time in a GT4, and when driving a C2S recently, I couldn't believe how soft the .2 SPASM felt in comparison. The GT4 is just as comfortable but so much sharper. It seems like a 991.2 C2S/GTS with a GT3-lite suspension package could be just the ticket for someone who wants GT handling but needs 4 seats.

I don't know why they don't offer a suspension upgrade like this from the factory; I know a lot of people who track their car while DD'ing it, and a 991.2 without many options but with upgraded entry-level track worthy suspension would be a heck of a lot cheaper than any stripper GT3.

Anyways, something like that is around $7k on a 997.2 (my car). It involves drop links, sway bars, lowering springs, control arms front and rear, and some other bushing upgrades. What is the shopping list on a 991.2?
I am super happy with the way our car came out. I have a laundry list of bits i would recommend. I went full boogie, all moonball with the DSC controller and wheel spacers. You don't have to do the entire thing. You need camber adjustment and toe adjustment to get a good track alignment on it. I probably wouldn't have upgraded the upper dog bones to all moonball as well but my ride on the street isn't harsh and the car is not noisy. I even now have a custom map for the DSC controller based on my spring and bar rates for the 991.2
Old 12-17-2018, 03:30 PM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

[QUOTE=BGB Motorsports;15503260]
Originally Posted by 4 Point 0

I think what 4 Point 0 really meant to say was "call John and order what he has; my suspension isn't complete because the sway bars i ordered didn't work."
Yes, that's exactly what I meant.
Old 12-17-2018, 04:02 PM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

Received 197 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by raidersfan
So, what would be the steps required to make a 991.2 SPASM more like a GT3, in terms of suspension setup?
Many things per John at BGB but one major items are the soft springs. The GT4 springs are too soft as well as you know. You can get stiffer springs but they are shorter than stock so ride height becomes lower. I need my car at its stock ride height (SPASM) for daily driving as the streets in Houston are horrible. Wish somebody made stiffer springs with stock ride height.
Tom at TPC sent a customized file (firm and extra firm) for me for the DSC and that helped quite a bit, a compromise i know, but an improvement.

Quick Reply: 991.2 Base/S/GTS Modification & Race Track Prep Thread