Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche PCM Upgrade/Hack for Android Auto? Is this real?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2024, 11:09 PM
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 27 Posts

Thank you guys, besides the android auto option, is there any other hack I can do in the green gem screen?​
Old 02-19-2024, 11:30 PM
snuvet75
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Westcoast
Those instructions are correct but then on the other forum you answered with this:

You should not have had to enable NAV, it would be done by the AIO scripting, did you find that it was not enabled? Did you make any other changes?

If you ran the backup then the Backup folder will have valuable information... do not copy and paste the contents here, do you have a drop box or another way to share the folder?
Originally Posted by quattroatl
I PM'd you a link to the backup folder. I appreciate you helping me tremendously! Thank you!
Did you guys solve the problem? I recently paid to get AA and I didn't know this existed. Some report in the YouTube video that it gives trouble when CAR and TUNER buttons are pressed together, it keeps repeating installation all over again. Does anybody encounter this issue? How did you guys resolve this? And what is with BOSE sound system being disabled that was mentioned in the YouTube video? What about Burmester? Would this mess it up too?

The files I downloaded from him have numerous folders including the one YouTube video mentioned. Hard to tell exactly which one does what but what I can gather is this:
1. There seem to be multiple language packs. China, US, Korea, etc.
2. Under US files are POG and VWG. I guess these are Porsche and Volkswagen.
3. Under different countries' files, I see, I suspect, some different car brands such as SEG, SKG, AU, BYG
4. When I open one of the folders, there is a file named "NOT FOR COMMERCIAL USE- IF YOU BOUGHT THIS, YOU GOT RIPPED OFF". Did I get ripped off? lol. Don't get me wrong. I'm happy with the result. Yet he sent this file to me. I wonder what this makes him...
5. What he offered did exactly same thing as YouTube video did. I thought PCM would display different languages that it didn't before as he sent "seemingly" different language packs. But it does not.
6. He did not mention anything about back up. He just told me to cancel back up and didn't tell me to back it up at all. So... now I can't revert the setting back to factory because I didn't? If I could, do you know how?

Last edited by snuvet75; 02-19-2024 at 11:53 PM.
Old 02-20-2024, 01:30 AM
718socal
Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by snuvet75
Did you guys solve the problem? I recently paid to get AA and I didn't know this existed. Some report in the YouTube video that it gives trouble when CAR and TUNER buttons are pressed together, it keeps repeating installation all over again. Does anybody encounter this issue? How did you guys resolve this? And what is with BOSE sound system being disabled that was mentioned in the YouTube video? What about Burmester? Would this mess it up too?

The files I downloaded from him have numerous folders including the one YouTube video mentioned. Hard to tell exactly which one does what but what I can gather is this:
1. There seem to be multiple language packs. China, US, Korea, etc.
2. Under US files are POG and VWG. I guess these are Porsche and Volkswagen.
3. Under different countries' files, I see, I suspect, some different car brands such as SEG, SKG, AU, BYG
4. When I open one of the folders, there is a file named "NOT FOR COMMERCIAL USE- IF YOU BOUGHT THIS, YOU GOT RIPPED OFF". Did I get ripped off? lol. Don't get me wrong. I'm happy with the result. Yet he sent this file to me. I wonder what this makes him...
5. What he offered did exactly same thing as YouTube video did. I thought PCM would display different languages that it didn't before as he sent "seemingly" different language packs. But it does not.
6. He did not mention anything about back up. He just told me to cancel back up and didn't tell me to back it up at all. So... now I can't revert the setting back to factory because I didn't? If I could, do you know how?
If you're local in Socal. I can try to help you. PM me
The following users liked this post:
snuvet75 (02-21-2024)
Old 02-27-2024, 07:20 PM
snuvet75
Rennlist Member

I was able to install AA in my 991.2 turbo s successfully following the instruction in the video below.
It was nerve wrecking as sometimes it took forever to load the next screen. No joking the instruction says "be patient". First part was easy. When you press Tuner and Car buttons together after the initial installation, it may not go to the green screen but says "setting loading". Then press back button and do it again. That should launch the green screen.
When you toggle down to "Fix SVM error" and press it, you go to "extract build version" and press it. When I did, absolutely nothing happened for minutes. I mean many minutes. Leave it alone here. When all done, it will reboot and it takes a long time to reboot. Don't be scared. Wait till it reboots, go back to "back up and restore" and back up. This also takes a long time. Do not press anything here. It might have taken me more than 10 minutes. Not sure. When it's done, it will say "all done and you can go back now". These parts weren't really clear in the Youtube video and it scared the heck out of me.
Follow the rest of the instruction and it should be good. Total time was about 40 minutes or so. I accidentally turned off the car and turned it back on when the screen went blank during Fix SVM error. Fortunately nothing broke... again, have some faith. Unless you do what I did, you should be able to finish in 30 minutes.
BIG SHOUT OUT TO 718SOCAL for helping me out.

Last edited by snuvet75; 02-27-2024 at 08:11 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by snuvet75:
718socal (02-27-2024), Nandska (06-11-2024), slowrey (03-05-2024)
Old 02-27-2024, 09:08 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,628 Likes on 2,701 Posts

I was able to install AA in my 991.2 turbo s successfully following the instruction in the video below.
It was nerve wrecking as sometimes it took forever to load the next screen. No joking the instruction says "be patient". First part was easy. When you press Tuner and Car buttons together after the initial installation, it may not go to the green screen but says "setting loading". Then press back button and do it again. That should launch the green screen.
When you toggle down to "Fix SVM error" and press it, you go to "extract build version" and press it. When I did, absolutely nothing happened for minutes. I mean many minutes. Leave it alone here. When all done, it will reboot and it takes a long time to reboot. Don't be scared. Wait till it reboots, go back to "back up and restore" and back up. This also takes a long time. Do not press anything here. It might have taken me more than 10 minutes. Not sure. When it's done, it will say "all done and you can go back now". These parts weren't really clear in the Youtube video and it scared the heck out of me.
Follow the rest of the instruction and it should be good. Total time was about 40 minutes or so. I accidentally turned off the car and turned it back on when the screen went blank during Fix SVM error. Fortunately nothing broke... again, have some faith. Unless you do what I did, you should be able to finish in 30 minutes.
BIG SHOUT OUT TO 718SOCAL for helping me out.
https://youtu.be/QPRqR47_9qo
Glad to hear that everything worked out, not that it wasn't planned that way but because I agree that it can be stressful if you don't know what to expect and aren't prepared for the wait during reboots... will it, won't it...

Nice that @718socal was local and able to lend support,
718socal (02-27-2024)
Old 03-05-2024, 08:00 PM
vapormike
3rd Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Adding to this thread to thank this community and to confirm success enabling Android Auto with my 2018 991.2!
wkearney99 (04-12-2024)
Old 04-11-2024, 10:31 PM
Cityfisher
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

Anyone have issues with this post install? Install went fine and tested it for a couple mins. Put the car in storage. Last week of driving the it keeps dropping android auto connections and reconnecting. Doesn't seem to HOLd the connection for longer than 5 mins.
Old 04-11-2024, 10:46 PM
slowrey
Rennlist Member

Received 78 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Cityfisher
Anyone have issues with this post install? Install went fine and tested it for a couple mins. Put the car in storage. Last week of driving the it keeps dropping android auto connections and reconnecting. Doesn't seem to HOLd the connection for longer than 5 mins.
I'd swap out the cable and see if that fixes it.

Last edited by slowrey; 04-11-2024 at 11:37 PM.
edub (04-11-2024)
Old 04-11-2024, 11:16 PM
edub
Pro

Received 340 Likes on 189 Posts

Second the cable being issue
Cityfisher (04-15-2024)
Old 04-12-2024, 01:25 AM
snuvet75
Rennlist Member

Not to resolve your issue (although I think your software installation is fine but it's the cable issue), go get yourself a dongle. It will make your life much easier. I have this in both of my cars (although I paid for the installation for 1 car) and I still get excited to see the screen every day.

Last edited by snuvet75; 04-12-2024 at 01:30 AM.
Old 04-15-2024, 02:49 PM
Cityfisher
Racer

Originally Posted by edub
Second the cable being issue
Bingo! Thanks!
Tried 4 differnt cables.
This one worked. Not sure what the difference is.

Not to resolve your issue (although I think your software installation is fine but it's the cable issue), go get yourself a dongle. It will make your life much easier. I have this in both of my cars (although I paid for the installation for 1 car) and I still get excited to see the screen every day.
I tried a 60$ Chinese one from Amazon. Didn't work.
I'll try the 150$ next.
Old 04-15-2024, 02:51 PM
edub
Pro

Received 340 Likes on 189 Posts

I have had a few cables go 'bad', was just dirt/grime in the USB-C connector.
Old 04-15-2024, 02:59 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,628 Likes on 2,701 Posts

Originally Posted by edub
I have had a few cables go 'bad', was just dirt/grime in the USB-C connector.
+1 on this... USB cables can be a real pain, I have replaced them before for similar problems.
Old 04-15-2024, 08:46 PM
snuvet75
Rennlist Member

I tried a 60$ Chinese one from Amazon. Didn't work.
I'll try the 150$ next.
Nope. Being expensive doesn't mean it's better. You want the one with phone application so the connection between dongle and the phone terminates when you turn off your car.
What was the issue with the Chinese one?
Amazon Amazon
this one has been serving me really well in both of my cars.
Old 04-15-2024, 09:18 PM
Cityfisher
Racer

Nope. Being expensive doesn't mean it's better. You want the one with phone application so the connection between dongle and the phone terminates when you turn off your car.
What was the issue with the Chinese one?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
this one has been serving me really well in both of my cars.
It has a switch to swap between carplay and android auto. Wouldn't connect to Android. Tried for 30 mins. I didn't have an apple device device to try.

Thanks I'll check if that ones av available on amazon in Canada.

Quick Reply: Porsche PCM Upgrade/Hack for Android Auto? Is this real?