Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche PCM Upgrade/Hack for Android Auto? Is this real?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2024, 03:54 AM
whiskey.01
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks so much for your help 718socal!

I just finished the AIO update with the 20220723 file and everything went very smoothly. I went out for a quick drive and I now have seemingly reliable android auto.

I've also used an Ottocast android auto wireless adapter (Ottocast A2Air) and that seems to work seamlessly as well.

I was previously running the Ottocast U2-X Pro, which would connect wirelessly to my android phone, but then translate the signal and tell the Porsche that it was an iPhone and it would run Android Auto through the CarPlay system. But this was extremely unreliable and the connection would drop out or refuse to connect sometimes. Now that it recognizes android auto, I can use the android auto specific wireless adapter and that seems to have no issues.

Old 06-11-2024, 01:26 AM
911T4ME
Rennlist Member

Received 183 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by whiskey.01
Thanks so much for your help 718socal!

I just finished the AIO update with the 20220723 file and everything went very smoothly. I went out for a quick drive and I now have seemingly reliable android auto.

I've also used an Ottocast android auto wireless adapter (Ottocast A2Air) and that seems to work seamlessly as well.

I was previously running the Ottocast U2-X Pro, which would connect wirelessly to my android phone, but then translate the signal and tell the Porsche that it was an iPhone and it would run Android Auto through the CarPlay system. But this was extremely unreliable and the connection would drop out or refuse to connect sometimes. Now that it recognizes android auto, I can use the android auto specific wireless adapter and that seems to have no issues.
Does the A2Air work better than the U2-X which is what I'm using after the MIB hack?
Old 06-11-2024, 10:38 AM
sibwolf
Cruisin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am sure I am missing something here but when I try the link for files, I get an error noting too many connections.Does anyone have any tips on how to proceed ?

Any help is greatly appreciated..

C

Old 06-11-2024, 11:20 PM
sibwolf
Cruisin'

Huge thanks to @718socal for the incredible support. I'm am so thankful for this hack. I can now ditch the glitchy ottocast.
As a side note, previously only USB that worked with carplay was in the console, which was totally useless as a charger and always stayed powered on after vehicle shutdown, which was problematic for switching to home wifi. Messing around after getting this hack to work I discovered the USB in glovebox now works for AA/Carplay!

I cannot thank @718socal enough for this!
Incredible !
The following users liked this post:
718socal (06-12-2024)
Old 06-11-2024, 11:37 PM
B Russ
Rennlist Member

Received 756 Likes on 508 Posts

What's the benefits of using the USB in the glove box
Old 06-11-2024, 11:40 PM
sibwolf
Cruisin'

The phone actually charges. The one in the console doesn't charge phone at all. Guess it boils down to power output.
Old 06-14-2024, 03:54 PM
whiskey.01
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 911T4ME
Does the A2Air work better than the U2-X which is what I'm using after the MIB hack?
So far, the A2Air has been working flawlessly, No need to reconnect, no drop-outs, it connects almost immediately when I turn on the car and has no issues throughout the drive.

My U2-X previously dropped out all the time. However, to be fair, I haven't tried it since I've done the MIB Hack. Now that it registers as AA, it might actually be a bit more stable, but I haven't compared them side by side.

I had used the A2Air with no issues from my previous car (Kia Stinger) and it worked very well because it had wired AA from factory. I've since sold that car, so when I completed the MIB hack, I moved this unit over to the Porsche.

Last edited by whiskey.01; 06-14-2024 at 03:55 PM.

Quick Reply: Porsche PCM Upgrade/Hack for Android Auto? Is this real?