Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche PCM Upgrade/Hack for Android Auto? Is this real?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2021, 07:29 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,732 Likes on 2,750 Posts

Originally Posted by Seth K
Working great! No complaints here!
Originally Posted by 911dude41
That's awesome, I am in contact with them right now. I bought the dongle you linked and he said "you got it right the first time". haha. Thank you for the advice!
I have no problem buying this ethernet dongle but have few I would to try first, can either of you provide the IP address that the PCM is using so can test, that way if the dongles don't work I can get the Ugreen unit on order.

Cheers!

Last edited by Westcoast; 03-20-2021 at 07:31 PM.
Old 03-21-2021, 07:05 PM
Seth K
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Post a pic once it's up and running!
Old 03-27-2021, 08:35 AM
Seth K
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Westcoast
I have no problem buying this ethernet dongle but have few I would to try first, can either of you provide the IP address that the PCM is using so can test, that way if the dongles don't work I can get the Ugreen unit on order.

Cheers!
he can probably reprogram the dongle for you if you stick it into the pc first. then put it into the usb in the car. he can check it / reprogram it if necessary. it has to be 2.0
Old 03-27-2021, 01:14 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

he can probably reprogram the dongle for you if you stick it into the pc first. then put it into the usb in the car. he can check it / reprogram it if necessary. it has to be 2.0
Thanks for the reply Seth, yes I have multiple 2.0 adapters, I can check this out ahead of time myself, I just need the IP settings to use, more specifically the IP address of the PCM and any non-standard subnet mask required, if I can ping the PCM and get a reply then I will know @simaservis1108 can do his magic!

I have the Quadlock pins now, just building the harness when that is done I am ready.
Old 03-27-2021, 03:29 PM
Seth K
Intermediate

Yeah, Unfortunately you lost me. I have no Idea how to access that. Wouldn't it be in the settings for your pcm? otherwise it took him about 30 seconds to do that part so I wouldn't worry too much. Sorry I couldn't be of more assistance.
Old 03-27-2021, 03:51 PM
enzotcat
Pro

Received 386 Likes on 201 Posts

Cheers!

Old 03-27-2021, 03:58 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by enzotcat
Cheers!
Old 03-27-2021, 03:59 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Yeah, Unfortunately you lost me. I have no Idea how to access that. Wouldn't it be in the settings for your pcm? otherwise it took him about 30 seconds to do that part so I wouldn't worry too much. Sorry I couldn't be of more assistance.
No worries, I have it now and can try when I get a chance...
Old 03-27-2021, 10:58 PM
OWLY
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

Had mine done this afternoon. Thanks @Seth K ! Everything went smooth. @simaservis1108 was awesome to deal with! Wish there was something like this for my 997.2

Last edited by OWLY; 03-27-2021 at 11:00 PM.
Old 04-09-2021, 03:49 PM
RadonHD
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did anyone find a good place for the GPS-Antenna and can post a picture of it?
Old 04-11-2021, 02:21 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RadonHD
Did anyone find a good place for the GPS-Antenna and can post a picture of it?
I am curious about this as well, I have a secondary GPS antenna that I would like to find a home for, it looks out of place on the dash, it slides around and I don't really want to put double-sided tape on it to hold it down!

Is there room in the middle under the center speaker grill, anyone look?
Old 04-11-2021, 07:20 PM
enzotcat
Pro

Why do you want a secondary antenna? Granted, Waze winds up using the phone's GPS because their software developers couldn't be bothered to use the correct APIs, but I find that the phone - at least in my car (it's a Pixel 3 XL) - still gets perfectly adequate GPS coverage, and it doesn't seem to be a problem. So why install a nasty-looking wart when you don't need to? And if you really need to use the car's GPS antenna, google maps uses it.
Old 04-12-2021, 12:40 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Why do you want a secondary antenna? Granted, Waze winds up using the phone's GPS because their software developers couldn't be bothered to use the correct APIs, but I find that the phone - at least in my car (it's a Pixel 3 XL) - still gets perfectly adequate GPS coverage, and it doesn't seem to be a problem. So why install a nasty-looking wart when you don't need to? And if you really need to use the car's GPS antenna, google maps uses it.
My situation may be unique, or at a minimum not usual... The GPS antenna I am referring to is not for the phone or the factory installed PCM, it is for a standalone installation of Android, heck it doesn't even use the North American satellites but rather GLONAS!

Also regarding the bolded, AFAIK Google maps would not be using the cars GPS antenna, it would use the GPS antenna in the phone.
Old 04-12-2021, 12:43 PM
enzotcat
Pro

My situation may be unique, or at a minimum not usual... The GPS antenna I am referring to is not for the phone or the factory installed PCM, it is for a standalone installation of Android, heck it doesn't even use the North American satellites but rather GLONAS!

Also regarding the bolded, AFAIK Google maps would not be using the cars GPS antenna, it would use the GPS antenna in the phone.
Ah, OK, on the 2nd antenna for your use case, but no, Google Maps uses the correct android FusedLocationProviderApi so that when it is connected to the car, it will use the car's GPS antenna. Waze, however, not so much.
Old 04-12-2021, 12:56 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Ah, OK, on the 2nd antenna for your use case, but no, Google Maps uses the correct android FusedLocationProviderApi so that when it is connected to the car, it will use the car's GPS antenna. Waze, however, not so much.
Would this be when using Android Auto or are you saying that the USB cable triggers the use of an outboard GPS antenna? I see no reason it would need to use an external antenna when it has one in the phone.

Quick Reply: Porsche PCM Upgrade/Hack for Android Auto? Is this real?